Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

Honestly, I asked one of my friends on YouTube. Asked him what's a Shonen that's dark and as good as HxH and he said Kyojin. I tried it out and it was amazing !!

I just love the concept and love how the mangaka isn't afraid to kill off characters. Also his reveals are amazing.

Also all the secrets in the manga is what intrigues me the most ! So much mystery. I can't wait until they're all revealed. Kyojin FTW !! ( second favorite ongoing Shonen )

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

I was recommended this manga by a friend from another forum, but I never really tried it, then I heard more about it here so I gave it a try. It took me a week to get past the first few pages really, but when I sat down and read through the whole first chapter, I caught up the very next day.

I guess what hooked me was the premise, it being dark doesn't really matter, it was executed really nicely and the art is really great (though the titans creeped me out). After that, the whole mystery behind the story enticed me too much, now I just want more. All of the things that are hidden, what the church knows, all of these things got me thinking, argh.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

I just came across it on animenewsnetwork, read the plot, and thought "hell yeah!" and when I read it, it was just amazing. There are a lot of twists you don't expect and the tension is done perfectly. It really makes you feel like there's no hope for humanity. And also - anyone can die.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well im hooked up to this because its really mysterious, and realistic which means people DIES! you cant guarantee if youll survive, and also you just cant take down a titan that easy.. so its very exciting

and the characters are amazing all of them are fighting bravely then dies, the theirs eren who is not that powerful, if he dont have a titan power he will not survive

the strategy the 3d manuever the horses the titans makes it more epic,, feels like im watching an epic movie
    its very worth it

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Jassaray's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

When I saw the designs for the Titans, I was hooked. They are terrifying. That they look relatively human only adds to the terror. Their grossly exaggerated facial features, the look of joy they 'seem' to have when they are about to devour a human, the way they are drawn and the purity of the lines. They are naked, giant children. Purely accepting their instinct to devour, without any remorse or fear. That alone was enough for me to start reading and even now, fully caught up, I don't connect to the human characters as much as I care about what motivates the Titans.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I had caught wind of this series when its first chapter found its way online, and I read the first two. I decided then that I would pick it back up after it had gotten a ways in, and I just want to say it has turned out very rewarding. The series has progressed wonderfully. The characters are interesting and memorable. It's thoughtful and thematically strong. It's legitimately horrific and brutal. I love the combat. I love the art. It's been a long time since I've come across such an exceptional series. It's surprises just keep hitting and hitting.

It's premise was intriguing enough to give it a look. The start up felt like it took about as long as Gantz did to get into itself, but it was rolling once it did.

However, I will admit... It annoys me that it keeps doing flashbacks to pieces of a part that we didn't see. We saw the part, but there's always this one piece of conversation that is just plain left out until it becomes pertinent. It might be part of how the series keeps the action coming at us so fast, but it's like here's this surprise but we had a clue about it in hindsight so here's that for you to understand what's up. It's a weird narrative structure. I'm not sure if I would be happy with it being normal or not though, so I'm not going to really complain.
    Last edited by Avid; March 20, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I first saw this when I was looking for spring anime previews back in January. I saw this listed then watched the trailer.

But what totally convinced me to read this was when I heard Sawano Hiroyuki(I love his work on Gundam) was doing the music for the anime. And also, when I researched and read that the gender equality of the manga is at least on par with Fullmetal Alchemist. Plus seeing that cover of Mikasa wearing MMA clothes with extremely muscular build while beside her was that ecchi fanservice girl(I don't know what manga) just totally convinced me that I should read this.

Besides, I was looking for anime/manga that doesn't have much ecchi/moe and less sexist than the standard. These kind of anime/manga are so common that it's hard to find a gem like Shingeki no Kyojin.

I also really liked Isayama Hajime's art style. Even though at first I couldn't tell which was who with some characters. His art style also totally reminded me of mine.
    Last edited by Yumpo; April 10, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member HaiSuShi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yumpo View Post
    Even though at first I couldn't tell which was who with some characters.
    Pretty much my only problem with the manga, but I'll just read it again to get it right.

Edit: To answer the topic, it's definitely the characters and the sheer horror the series provides.
    Last edited by HaiSuShi; April 11, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
    Naruto-kun...I've always...always been chasing after you. Even...now. But... once this war ends, I'm going to stop once and for all.
    Next time, I'll be next to you, holding your hand...walking with you! Wait for me!!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that most of us enjoy watching how humans react when confronted to desperate and dangerous situations. Just like how people will betray each other or how the real cowards are going to get exposed. It's always intriguing to see who's gonna man up in those situations and i find it enjoyable that Isayama doesn't hesitate to kill important characters. You basically never know who might die..

And the other reason is the Giants, they're just so huge and scary and they keep smiling while they're eating people. We can actually feel the tension while reading the pages and even get scared some other times.

Sometimes it actually makes me wonder how i would react if i was in a post-apocalyptic world, would i be a coward, the arrogant guy that gets killed first, the leader, the one who's hiding in the shadows of the strongest people? It's because of mangas like that, that we get to actually think in realistic way and i guess that's what i like.

But last but not least, i love when people run away because they see that they're no match for the enemy.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

just about everything . it sometimes bothers me though how some characters may look exactly the same i cant tell them apart

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The endless desperate situation and their struggle for survival....is interesting to watch.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member DassJennir's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I like when shounens take a more mature theme like some seinens
    Shingeki no Kyojin

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Conspiracy stuff. The limited-level-in-technology setting also attracts me. And then there are awesome leads, especially the female lead Mikasa.
    From these three aspects, it's exactly the same as Claymore, another manga I read and love.
    I wish there were more manga like these, do tell me if anyone should know any more :P

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just the whole angst/feeling of it. I mostly heard buzz from Kinokuniya and read the MH article about which manga titles Japanese bookstores found popular and here we are.

In some ways, it feels like Claymore and Berserk.

I have never seen a mainstream shonen title that was pretty freaking dark overall, so this caught my eye.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Omiem's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very attracted by females that are able to fight in wars. So I like the fact that the female soldiers in Attack on Titan are portrayed in a realistic fashion.

I also enjoy the designs of the Titans. The expressions from the Titans are truly terrifying since they have a lot of human features that are disproportional in an unsettling way.

And of course, the general atmosphere of the brutality of war.
    Last edited by Omiem; July 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast