Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Idea for HxH Video Game (Go Crazy With This One Since It's Just Wishful Thinking. ;) )

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Idea for HxH Video Game (Go Crazy With This One Since It's Just Wishful Thinking. ;) )

Yeah this won't actually be a HxH video game. At least as far as I know.
    But I do think HxH could make for an awesome video game or series of games.
    I think there might already be some HxH video games but I doubt they are
    at the level of awesomeness that a HxH video game deserves.
    Here we striv for that awesomeness...even if only in our imagination.

Ok so I think HxH should have several video games for the arcs

1st game:

Hunter Exam Arc with a Zolydyck Mansion Bonus Arc

2nd game:

Yorknew City Arc with a Heaven Arena Bonus Arc

3rd Game:

Greed Island Arc with a bonus Nen Exorcist Arc

4th Game:

Chimera Ant Extermination Arc with a bonus Election Arc and Bonus Alluka Arc

In the first game you try to pass the Hunter Exam.
    You get to pick your character which will include
    pretty much anyone from Zevil Island except Tonpa.
    Tonpa will be a NPC who acts helpful but leads you into traps.

But you can play as

Gon
    Killua
    Kurapica
    Leorio
    Gittarucker (Illumi)
    Hisoka
    Hanzo
    Geretta
    The Amori Brothers
    Siper
    Gozu
    Pokkle
    Bourbon
    Agon
    Ponzu
    Kenmi
    Sommy (and his monkey)

and for each character you get a different exam for Trick Tower. The stronger the character the more difficult the Trick Tower Exam will be. The storyline changes according to
    whoever you pick but it will still have the HxH feel. For instance you could beat the
    Hunter Exam as Agon. Also while the exam is more difficult for stronger characters
    it should end up balancing out. No matter who you pick it will be rather difficult to beat.

Especially if you pick Agon since you have to fight crazy Hisoka then.

Don't worry though it WILL be possible to defeat Hisoka. Somehow.

I'll think of more later.

Feel free to add your thoughts of how a HxH video game should be.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Refraction's Avatar
    Country
    Iceland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idea for HxH Video Game (Go Crazy With This One Since It's Just Wishful Thinking. ;) )

I've actually been mulling over the idea of a new HUNTERxHUNTER video-game for some time now, ever since I got a look at the new series, so I'm really glad you engineered this thread! Good show!

I'm a sucker for colourful things, and MADHOUSE's adaptation of the show has colour in abundance--colour which, I feel, would make a HUNTER game a fairly attractive proposition. I'd love a game which was, just at the core of it all, a vivacious, jubilantly colourful beat 'em up. I'd want it to be in the style of BlazBlue--that is to say, animated character sprites, rather than polygonal models--and I'd wish for it to be released on an HD system--as I feel that MADHOUSE's visuals would sparkle on a machine capable of emulating the look of the show at its best.

As far as gameplay mechanics are concerned, I'm not asking for anything out of the ordinary. I want to zap a Chimera Ant as Killua. I want to slap Netero in the face in three consecutive motions with one of Kurapika's chains. I want to take Leorio and clobber Tonpa over the back of the head with a briefcase. And I want to make Gon swell to three times his natural size, rip off his arm and then impale Buhara with it. Just to put into perspective the diameter of the latter's stomach size.

NARUTO, BLEACH, and Nurarihyon no Mago have all profited from getting a brawler of a game in recent years; and with the rapid release of DVDs, Blu-rays, soundtracks and figurines all on the horizon for HUNTERxHUNTER, I'd certainly hope that something at least as unimaginative as a beat 'em up would be due for the series as well. Save for an O.K.-ish Wonderswan game, I'm not all that fond of the games HUNTERxHUNTER has received so far. I still have nightmares of the Game Boy Color platformer....
    Last edited by Refraction; March 06, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Raad's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idea for HxH Video Game (Go Crazy With This One Since It's Just Wishful Thinking. ;) )

I'm thinking MMORPG, that'd suit Hunter x Hunter best, but that'd need to much work to build (the maps, the quests, the events, the specialties, the different organisations and so on, especially the nen system and nen abilities which need to be individual).

The most practicle game I'm thinking about is an RPG with a new hero with a new story and new characters, maybe some cameos from some HxH characters, I sincerely don't understand why this still wasn't exploited by gaming compagnies. If I'm not mistaken there is an RPG about Naruto, a manga which is all about fights, and when it comes to a manga containing adventure elements, nothing! That's really dumb if you ask me!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about being realistic with the game. Reach for the moon and you'll land in the fiery hot flame vapor of stars and incinerate.

I would have each HxH game in a different genre of video games. I think it would fit with how each arc in HxH is rather different from each other.

You would start off picking your character. For simplicity sake let's say you picked Gon.

The Hunter Exam and Zolydyck Arc video game would be from mostly a 3rd person view

The first level would be a fishing sim for the Lord of the Swamp or whatever it is called

then after talking to Aunt Mito you go to the ship that takes you to Dolle Harbor.
    In order to get there you take a short cut through the woods and have to avoid dangerous animals.

Then you get on the ship. Cut scene of the storm and then the captain asking you why you want to be a hunter.

Just for fun you can get a multiple choice answer

1. I want to see my dad
    2. For the heck of it
    3. None of your business, Gorton!

Whatever the case, the ship captain will have you prove your worth as a hunter...by stirring the ship during the storm.

So then you get a ship sim.

Finally you make it to Dolle Harbor and eventually to the two choice quiz where silence is the answer.

Ha! This game won't be that easy. Instead you get quizzed with true or false questions. Probably pertaining to Hunter x Hunter.

After that you go meet the Kiriko. You have to chase down the correct Kiriko and hit them with your fishing rod. They will then take you to Zaban City

After telling the password to the steak guy you finally make it to the first hunter exam...which is the foot race marathon.

Prepare for some hard core button mashing...that's how you run.

When you get to Swindler's Swamp it turns into a tricky platformer...one where it's difficult to tell what is and isn't safe footing

Then you have to hit Hisoka with your fishing pole. Hisoka chokes you but spares you after some more intense button mashing
    (otherwise he finds you to be too weak and having no potential and just murders you.)

Continue through the tricky platformer and then finally you beat the 1st exam.

Whew.

Up next: Second Exam!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna be boring and say I'd love to see a Powerstone or Super Smash bros style of Hunter X Hunter video game. I loved the Shonen Jump Ultimate stars game for the DS but its sad only Gon and Killua were playable.

Roster for a game featuring only characters from Hunter Exam-Yorkshin Arc and then a sequel or update adding in characters from Greed Island-NGL

Gon Freecss
    Killua Zoldyck
    Kurapika
    Leorio
    Hisoka
    Illumi Zoldyck (guitarrocker)
    Hanzo
    Gido
    Zeno Zoldyck
    Silva Zoldyck
    Kuroro
    Machi
    Franklin
    Uvogin
    Nobunaga
    Shizuku
    Shalnark
    Owl (other Shadowbeasts as assist attacks)

Biscuit
    Razor
    Bomber
    Feitan
    Phinks
    Bonolenov
    Kalluto
    Kite
    Pokkle
    Knuckle
    Shoot
    Morel
    Knov
    Palm
    Ikalugo
    Netero
    Leol
    Zazan
    Welfin
    Pitou
    Pufu
    Yupi
    Mereum

(bonus)
    Gotoh

some examples of stages could be:

287th Hunter Exam final phase hotel hall
    Zevil Island (where Gon stole hisoka's badge maybe)
    Trick Tower Tournament room
    Testing Gate (front door to Zoldyck estate)
    Silva's bedroom (with dogs and non fighting Zoldycks in the background watching)
    200th Floor arena in the Celestial Tower
    Outside Wing's house (with Celestial Tower in the background)
    Cliff near Yorknew where the hostage exchange was (Hisoka and Kuroro were gonna fight here,) Blimps in the background
    Battle damaged Cemetery building (Yorknew)
    Yorknew City Streets

Masadora (item shop city from Greed Island)
    Razor's Gymnasium
    Greed Island Forest (where Bomber vs Gon happens)
    NGL forest (possibly just Greed island forest with soldier ants in background)
    East Gorteau (just outside area)
    Inside Mereum's palace in East Gorteau (by the staircase perhaps)

I always saw Hunter as sort of either a Smash bros styled game or like Capcoms Powerstone games. Mostly based on simple but unique attacks for each character utilizing a button for unique hatsu abilities and one for simple melee attacks. Another button could be used for Ren/Ken/Kou based charge attacks which extend either the range or damage of attacks for certain characters. This button would do something else for non Nen using characters. The Fourth button would be for a simple dodge/roll or block command depending on what is pressed, with a fifth button for super moves (cutscene combos like Macho Gon or Indoor Fish) What do you think? Any other fighting game fans in the forum want to see something like this?
    Last edited by TheAmericandream; March 06, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Second Exam

Find the Great Stamp. Avoid attacks. Jump on head. Carry back to roast.

Here you have to make sushi with freshwater fish.
    You have to capture the fish with your fishing rod (if you're Gon)
    then you have to bring the fish back to make sushi.
    In order to make it correct you have to walk around and listen
    in on the conversations of the other examiners and why they
    didn't meet Menchi's expectations.

If you fail this part of the exam it will allow you to try at the Spider Eagle Mini Game.
    You have to time your jumps so you get the updraft and the egg.
    Then you have to do a button timing exercise to get the egg cooked just right

After this...

Trick Tower!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member steadynco's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Refraction View Post
    NARUTO, BLEACH, and Nurarihyon no Mago have all profited from getting a brawler of a game in recent years; and with the rapid release of DVDs, Blu-rays, soundtracks and figurines all on the horizon for HUNTERxHUNTER, I'd certainly hope that something at least as unimaginative as a beat 'em up would be due for the series as well. Save for an O.K.-ish Wonderswan game, I'm not all that fond of the games HUNTERxHUNTER has received so far. I still have nightmares of the Game Boy Color platformer....
    Series like Naruto are perfect for fighting games because of the large supply of flashy and conceptually simple moves (the same can be said for many other series). In HunterXHunter, the (nen) moves are usually quite complex and most effective in only certain situations (plus many aren't combat oriented). So I'm not too sure if a fighting game would work well...unless we ignore/modify some abilities to suit the gameplay (eg. maybe Kurapika takes HP damage whenever he uses his chains against a non-Ryodan).

Yes, the GBC HXH game was terribad and so was the GBA one (you controlled a no-name character who you could pointlessly accessorise in so many different ways and do various chores with like picking up rubbish to earn titles like 'clean hunter').

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean hunter? really?? the GBA game had cute sprites, I wanted to believe it was a decent game. Sad. I agree, a fighting game would kind of need to ignore/simplify somethings to make it work, but I'd personally love to see it. Honestly I'd be okay with things like Chain Jail only working on Spiders in a multiplayer game being ignored for the sake for balance. But one way to make it work would be if they had multiple special or super moves that required a special item if Kurapika's is useless against non Phantom Troupe members. I'd just love the idea of a Hunter X Hunter game I can actually play coming out or one that American publishers might bring to America anyway.

New Reply