Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated website for Claymore Fans

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dedicated website for Claymore Fans

Quote Quote:
    Guess we can discuss that when the spammers start showing off, guess mods are not necessary here, but at least we should set a person with access to admin account
    Well, what about you? I mean you created the site, right? I think it would make sense if you were the adminstrator and held that kind of power.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll let it as it is. I'll use a normal account for posting though.
    I've added a Autumn theme for those who like the animesuki looks, so all you need to do is switch the theme (because despite it's set to default you probably have the other stored in a cookie).

So what should we do next?
    Last edited by ClaFanN1; March 12, 2012 at 07:21 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shiek927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do agree that someone needs to, though they should not preferably always use that account, have access to an Admin account - their will be many times when such power is necessary, like in the case of idiots and spammers making accounts and mucking things up...again, you can understand though, from our history at AS, about the problem with too much power.

Like the background color better -- I still want to look things over to see if I have anymore requests (making an account right now), but thus far, I'm really loving it ^_^

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Alright, making an account, and taking a closer look at the website

1) Basic - the avatar limit is too small XD

2) I'm kind of confused about the "categories" section - what's the point of it?

I think it's just because I expected it to be purely a forum, and not necessarily a website in the sense of having news and such...you even have a page for updates, which surprised me. I guess I just have to get used to it.

3) I don't understand the Guestbook - how do I add people to my friends list?

4) clicking the giant Claire picture does nothing....I figured it would send me back to the main page - I guess this is something we can debate on, but I figured it'd do something. In general, along with the avatars...it doesn't seem like the pictures on the website, as a whole, are very big....I think this is just a limit right now.

In general, my wishes are the same as before...the place should be virtually indistinquishable from Animesuki; the closer the better...after that, come the requests to improve on where it lacked, and to further personalize it, as it's a place for 100% claymore.
    Last edited by Shiek927; March 12, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    You know, there are as many ways to live as there are people in this world...and each one deserves a closer look.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    In general, my wishes are the same as before...the place should be virtually indistinquishable from Animesuki; the closer the better...after that, come the requests to improve on where it lacked, and to further personalize it, as it's a place for 100% claymore.
    That's is what i think as well. I would like it to be just like AS because that is what i know best. I also think that it would be like mocking the mods over at AS too. having a website that looks just like Animesuki would be great.

But the new background looks very nice and it is much easier to look at. I still have to learn to navigate correctly around it, but the website looks great
    Last edited by Claymore1; March 12, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

- This system is not just a forum, its based in categories, to have content you need the categories. Basically what I did was make a category for claymore and import all topics on it. Topics is just a section of the category, the other sections are images (can be organized into albums), links and articles.
    - The guestbook is just like AnimeSuki's visitor messages, you dont need to add anyone to have people message you. I'll rename it to not make confusion.
    - I will raise the avatar limit to 200 (range 15..200) and remove the restriction that says it needs to be square.

On your profile there's a box that allows guests to send you private messages, despite it has captcha you can turn it off on your usercp options if you don't like.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Having an active admin, as opposed to an admin account, will ultimately be beneficial to your site. Members should know who has root power and who they need to talk to if they have an account problem. Members will have log in issues, they will want new usernames, they will have suggestions and they do need to know who to talk to resolve any problems. Ultimately hiding the admin will not lead to a more egalitarian forum but coul lead to confusion and misunderstandings.

There must be a balance struck between having a friendly, open forum and ensuring that one member can not ruin the time of others. Ultimately it will be up to the admin, whether they are the creators of the forum or not, to strike that balance. I promise you that someones feelings will get hurt at some point, a perfect balance between the needs of the group and the individual can not always be struck. It is then up to the admin to be sure that the rules are fair, universal, and enforced in such a way that the staff does not begin disrupting conversation.

Yo may want to avoid adding mods from the beginning. At least early on there should be relatively few problems, the admin will likely be able to deal with anything that occurs. As traffic grows look for members who seem nice, active, and will fit in well with the admin. Make them global moderators. Let the number of posts a day dictate the number of mods. Do not use local moderators unless the forum reaches the size of Arlong Park or Bleach Asylum. Restricting mods to single sections will only complicate running a medium size forum. It will be up to the admin to impart the forum enforcement philosophy on the mods. Be sure to let them know where the line is and what is expected when it is crossed. That will ensure that power is not abused but problems are also dealt with.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...maybe before we do anything else we should focus on getting the site hosted, nobody will take it serious or participate on a test page
    Last edited by ClaFanN1; March 12, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    - The guestbook is just like AnimeSuki's visitor messages, you dont need to add anyone to have people message you. I'll rename it to not make confusion.
    Meh, the problem with that is, is that in itself is confusing...shouldn't the message be in the profile itself, aka the User CP.

The User CP in itself, shouldn't be named that, since that's where the options are supposed to be....not the profile as a whole

As for messaging, I can understand that anybody can message though....I wonder though if it will still undeniably be better to personally 'friend' people and set up your account so that only they can message you or visit your profile, etc....that way, especially when more people come, only your friends can visit and post messages on your wall.

--

Thanks for all the advice Kaitan! you are right in that an Admin is definitely needed...It's my personal belief however that, said person, should only use that power aka account, when necessary...otherwise, they should simply be using a basic account like everybody else.

It may seem superfluous, but that's my belief...with time, people who have the power may get a little too used it and lose sight of that, and it then becomes no big deal to suddenly do certain actions....that sort of authority should only be used when it's actually necessary and not 'all the time' -- Unless their is an actual need to using the master account to perform actions that only they can do, why use it at all?

To show off with your presence? If people know, say, Limao is the adminstrator, then they know...it's not necessary for him to be using that account all the time to 'remind us', we know...and if newbies don't, he could have some sort of message in his stats that say so...either way, I don't see the need for a master account freely being used all the time...that just, as before, makes me feel said-person will get a little too cozy with their authority and lose sight of things...It's something that happens far too often, and people with said-authority, then get a little antzy and trigger-happy everytime something 'goes wrong'.

Essentially, you could argue that's exactly what happened with Animesuki...It took less then 5 minutes for the catalyst to happen, and it was a very knee-jerk/trigger-happy reaction. Not what I want to see happen again...people should not have to be afraid of their authority figures or feel they have to suck up or put up with them...They should be around if necessary and only then...which is why I feel it's better for the Admin to be using a basic account almost always, and don the master account only when it's actually necessary to do so.

If it's an image thing, it pays to see the Admin as a person and not as the Admin - it's, again, something that happened with Animesuki -- I should not have to be reminded or be aware all the time that I certain person I'm speaking too is a higher-up (you could argue that will always be undeniably true, but it should at least be transparent)...otherwise, their's a unquestionable disparity and I'd feel like I would have to walk around eggshells around this person and I don't want that...I should know Limao as simply Limao, and not, 'Limao the Admin.... who I have to talk to carefully or he'll ban me if he has an itch". I want everybody to be rational; I don't think that's too much to ask.

Mods I feel are only necessary if the site gets to a certain size that 'checks and balances' are for some reason necessary....especially if it's simply a site for one subject only (like Claymore)...I don't see why Mods are necessary - I guess it depends on how much power they and/or basic users would have...because it shouldn't be necessary as well that basic users have to go to the Admin or higher-ups everytime they need something....a basic user can, let's say, make a thread if they so please without having to beg the Admin or higher-ups everytime or, worse, have to convince them why it's necessary.....a flaw with the Animesuki system as others can attest.

In other words, while the Admin should indeed have supreme authority, power should be distributed evenly enough that such power, in a sense, isn't even necessary...the Admin should only use the master account when necessary and for a good reason, and not simply for the sake of having others bask in his magnanimous presence....however, their also needs to be one to keep things in check when necessary, as I said....and since power will be distributed enough, and the site itself will be small enough.....I don't see why Mods would be necessary either.

Everything should be as small and streamlined as possible, without too much power go any one way...the Admin should have things tipped in his/her favor, but not by a huge deal that the site is suddenly a pyramid nor the Wild West and the Admin is actually worthless...

That's my vision and how I see it all anyway.
    Last edited by Shiek927; March 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    You know, there are as many ways to live as there are people in this world...and each one deserves a closer look.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    shouldn't the message be in the profile itself, aka the User CP.
    Shiek, you're making confusion between USERCP and PUBLIC PROFILE aren't you? USERCP is only for you, PUBLIC PROFILE is for EVERYONE, visitor messages can never be in usercp or else they're pointless

Quote Quote:
    As for messaging, I can understand that anybody can message though....I wonder though if it will still undeniably be better to personally 'friend' people and set up your account so that only they can message you or visit your profile, etc....that way, especially when more people come, only your friends can visit and post messages on your wall.
    Well, that's an option at animesuki. You can set who can see you public profile and the option to limit vms to your contacts and powerusers.

The gnifica system neither does have friends module nor those options to limit public profile access. I can code that if its needed
    Last edited by ClaFanN1; March 13, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    ...people should not have to be afraid of their authority figures or feel they have to suck up or put up with them...
    "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Shiek, you're making confusion between USERCP and PUBLIC PROFILE aren't you? USERCP is only for you, PUBLIC PROFILE is for EVERYONE, visitor messages can never be in usercp or else they're pointless
    ....I'm confused XD

I think I'm just being silly, and it's probably easy, but I don't know...it just feels tricky.

Those two things though about coding, It would be nice if that were possible.....for the nth time, It's basically all about emulating the AS experience as much as possible.

At least, that's what's on my mind - nobody else though seems to have any requests or wishes, I noticed *blink

--
    Quote Quote:
    "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
    That's exactly what they said in Michael Moore's "Sicko", and I can completely believe with that notion.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Those two things though about coding, It would be nice if that were possible.....for the nth time, It's basically all about emulating the AS experience as much as possible.
    Currently I will idle on customizing it further, nobody seems to be willing to continue those threads so far, I'll wait to see what happens, the interest in this matter is still pretty low
    Last edited by ClaFanN1; March 13, 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The interest in this forum as a whole seems pretty low...

Could all just be coincidences, such as this being a slow month - but, *shrug

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the transition from AS happened as smoothly as I would have hoped.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Falcor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The sad truth is that there's not really much left to talk about, and most of the interesting conversations in the AS chapter threads tended to be OT chats between veteran forum members. Granted, the over-handed moderation didn't help matters any, but the core problem is convincing the bulk of AS claymore forum regulars to transition over to an all-new website. Most of the AS regulars probably just don't want to have to start all over again on a different site - no offense to MH - but each website has its own unique character.

Limao has done an awesome job porting the forums over, so now word should be spread via PM on AS, like the PMs sent out last week urging people to come over here to MH. If they know that they can resume their old discussions without any interruption, that should do the trick. It will also spare MH regulars from all us whiney ex-AS members.
    But seriously, we really should keep future AS talk on the new website. I enjoy MH the way it is and don't want to see it turn into a cheap copy of another forum.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand the idea of not wanting to transform this place into a copy of AS....the long-timers at MH are probably annoyed by the sudden influx of people acting and owning like they own the place (I completely accept that I'm one of them XD), but notably, as you said, it's difficult to transition because it almost feels like we have to start over from nothing.

I mean, it was a relatively small community, so switching over to a new community suddenly fulled with new people is difficult - out of laziness, I just posted some links to some posts I made at AS because I didn't want to just repeat the same arguments I made 10,000 times before, and somebody told me that they don't care because this isn't AS.

I can completely understand that...in a sense, it stinks because it doesn't matter how much time we spent over there; it has little basis over here....so people don't want to feel like they have to start over, so nothing really happens.

In that sense, Limao's site is more important then ever since it can been seen as a back-up to AS rather then transitioning to a totally new site; everything is imported over, and with any luck, people can begin to migrate over there and feel a little more secure.

Whatever the case is Falcor....something must be done -- AS is over, finished; that place has been gutted and their's little sense to still be floating over there on a permanent basis....at some point, everybody needs to migrate somewhere, it's just a matter of where and when.

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast