Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Vandenreich predicted Soul Society's end in five days. What means could they have to accomplish this

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • An elite group of powerful soldiers on par with the captains

6 33.33%
  • An army of mindless drones created from the Rukongai abductees

0 0%
  • An extremely powerful bomb, set to go off in five days time

1 5.56%
  • They intend to shift Soul Society off the dimensional grid

4 22.22%
  • A combination of (some of) the aforementioned options

5 27.78%
  • I don't know

2 11.11%
  • I don't care

0 0%
  • I'll tell you...

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: The Underscore's Bleach review, 484: The Buckbeard

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member The Underscore's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

The Underscore's Bleach review, 484: The Buckbeard

484: The Buckbeard

Welcome to Chez Le ‘The Underscore’s Bleach review’. On today’s menu we have Bleach 484. Sadly, we won’t be serving polls in this week’s review. Thus you will just have to do with the soup that is this introduction to the review before going directly to the main course, the review and chapter overview. The drink that’ll be served is Kubo Title 484, made in 2012. Dessert will consist of a headspinner and prediction combo. As an after dinner mint of sorts, there’s the ever bland finishing note. The total costs of this week’s menu will be one answer to this week’s poll, and one rating of this week’s chapter. Don’t forget to tip your waiter by leaving a comment.

Today’s head chef, Genryuusai Yamamoto

Our head chef only serves the foods well done, or charred…

The Vandenreich once more declare the five day time limit for Soul Society. In spite of this news, Genryuusai is more concerned with getting the skewered Sasakibe off his wall. The fact that Sasakibe has been pinned this easily is enough reason for Genryuusai to realize that these men in white aren’t just bluffing. Making sure to make a proper analysis of these intruders, he stares them down good.

The Vandenreicher in the middle, who has been doing all the talking from the moment they entered Genryuusai’s quarters, then “reads” Genryuusai’s mind, saying he knows that Genryuusai wants to know who they are. Not exactly rocket science figuring that one out . What’s odd here, however, is that even though these guys just declared war, they won’t reveal who they are. But apparently, there’s no need for them to introduce themselves, as Genryuusai would apparently be able to guess this easily.

There’s two ways to see this. One, Genryuusai actually knows who these guys are. Whether these guys are Quincy, or whether they’re Quincy-a-rrancar, or whatever. Perhaps there was a group of these beings prior to Genryuusai becoming the commander general, or even the means by which Genryuusai managed to prove his skills. The second way to see this, is that this guy wants Genryuusai to see them as Soul Society’s executioners. The ones who will bring judgment in five days time. Though I’m hoping for the first option, I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy meant the second one.

Considering that these Vandenreichers are confronting Genryuusai, there’s the matter of Genryuusai’s temper. Quite frankly, I’m surprised that Genryuusai took this long to take this action as he draws his Zanpakutou. The Vandenreichers timed their escape well, using their own shadows as gates to escape the inferno Genryuusai sends their way. As the flames reside, Genryuusai notes that the intruders managed to escape the barrier surrounding Soul Society with their escape. Perhaps this is due to the disturbance between the dimensions that has been mentioned at the beginning of this arc. Seeming as how not even Urahara is capable of penetrating the Shakonmaku in one go, and he used to live inside this barrier, this is quite the feat.

Lassie lives!

What is it boy? Lucy’s in a well? They can… Bankai?

Sasakibe apparently managed to survive the arrow to the guts. Though he doesn’t seem to be holding up too well. Being the dutiful Vice-captain he is, he realizes he has to tell Genryuusai everything he knows, in case he doesn’t survive. Thus he delivers the message: They can Bankai. Quite frankly, I’m a bit confused by this message. Mainly because I can’t tell whether Sasakibe is panicking a bit right now, having trouble making complete sentences, or whether Sasakibe delivered his message properly.

Assuming that Sasakibe delivered the message in its entirety, it means that these Quincy/Arrancars are capable of using a Bankai as well. Making them Quincy/Arrancar/Shinigami. Which would also make them Fullbringers, considering how a human with Hollow powers is named as such. So with these FAQS (Fullbringer, Arrancar, Quincy, Shinigami) most likely holding quite the arsenal, it wouldn’t be too strange to find some Hougyoku involvement along the way. Still, if all seven of these guys are capable of a Bankai, it would mean they could pose quite a threat to Soul Society in their own right. But sadly, there’s no reason to assume the Vandenreichers are FAQS. Quite frankly, I’m more inclined to go for what I think is the real message Sasakibe WANTED to give.

My guess is that Sasakibe’s injuries have taken quite the toll, and that what he actually wanted to say is that these guys can DESTROY Bankai’s. Considering how Ivan attempted to destroy Ichigo’s Bankai during last week’s chapter, this is a more plausible to be the real message than those guys being capable of using a Bankai. Let’s face it, if these guys can actually destroy a Bankai, they can effectively reduce the power of Soul Society’s top brass by up to 90%. (Remember, a Bankai can up to tenfold a Shinigami’s power)

Admittedly, a third option can come from what we’ve heard here. Sasakibe delivered his message properly, and these guys can both use Bankai as well destroy them. What better way to know how to destroy something than to know how it’s build, right?

Bankai stain remover

That’s right, all stains will vanish, how else do you think these guys can keep their clothes so white?

Ivan doesn’t look too hot after taking a Getsuga to the face. What’s interesting here is that the mask on his face isn’t showing any signs of damage. This could mean that this isn’t just an ornament if you ask me. But we can’t say this for certain, considering how this is still a Manga . Putting Ivan’s appearance aside, he isn’t too happy about Ichigo’s Bankai still being intact after all he went through.

After Ivan lets out this frustration, the renewed Zangetsu shows exactly how effective its new appearance is. Can you imagine that blade held up to you, with its fangs threatening to take off your head with a single bite? It turns out that Ivan can imagine this happening as he makes his escape after Ichigo finally shows interest in what Ivan could have to say. Ivan’s shadow suddenly appears in the sky. Ichigo is surprised at the sight of this, probably believing this could be an attack similar to Ichigo’s Getsuga Tenshou.

As Ichigo backs off, Ivan tells Ichigo that the shadow isn’t an attack. The shadow’s true purpose turns out to be to ‘hide the chosen ones’. Perhaps this shadow is a clue to the origins of the Vandenreichers. Maybe the chosen ones are people who were on the verge of annihilation, saved by this shadow so they could recover and plot revenge? Who knows, all we know is that this Shadowgate isn’t like a Garganta used by Hollows in spite of its color.

The Ice palace

You know when people talk about a “cool place” to “chill”…

So we get a frozen palace in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps even literally seeing as how this place is neither the world of the living, Soul Society, nor Hueco mundo as far as we can tell. I even doubt this is hell. So Nowheresville it is! Or Vandenreich if you insist .

The Sinister Seven who were at Genryuusai’s place show up in this palace. The talkative one then decides that he’s done with his mask and takes it off. Underneath, we see a smug face, odd hairdo, and the worst case of zits I’ve ever seen. Either that, or those things are piercings/part of what could be a Hollow mask. Whatever these decorative things are, my guess is that they’re the same as Ivan’s mask.

Not worried about his appearance, Chatty of the seven dwarves (yeah, yeah, I went from Sinister Seven to the seven dwarves, but I need a name for this guy ) notices something in the corner of his eyes. Ivan is bowing down to Chatty! Could this mean that Chatty is the leader of the Vandenreich? Not exactly. In fact, Ivan can’t stand Chatty at all, saying no one would bow down to someone like him.

Judging by this conversation, Chatty and Ivan aren’t on the best of terms. Judging by the way Chatty reacts to Ivan’s snide remark, he must feel like he’s superior to Ivan and Ivan must be thinking the same. Perhaps they’re both trying to see which one of them is more suited to be the boss’ right hand man. If that’s the case, things aren’t looking too well for Chatty’s chances for this position.

Thug Management

Fighting’s bad, M’kay, as such I’ll just ruthlessly rip off your right arm without any warning because you were having a vivid discussion.

Grim~~ err, Chatty loses his right arm in an instant. Realizing that he has some trouble holding in his blood, Chatty lets out screams of pain and agony. The culprit excuses himself for this action by saying that he’s warned Ivan and Chatty about not fighting in front of him many times before.

Kuugo’s father makes his entrance! Well, maybe not Kuugo’s father… or a father at all. Whatever the case, this guy’s got black hair and a lousy sense of humor. What’s more, he’s got the power of Vandenreich. Behold, the Vandenreich empire’s ruler! Buckbeard!

Buckbeard here claims to dislike fighting as well as the dwarves and Ivan’s actions to be part of their end goal. He just wants to hear these guys reporting on their progress made for the sake of peace. Now, that doesn’t sound too bad, does it? Peace. Odd how you declare war to a relatively peaceful world for the sake of peace . I can’t say too much about Buckbeard right now, besides him being a bit contradictory from the start. I don’t see anything resembling a Hollow mask on his face though. Perhaps he’s similar to Aizen, not being a hybrid just yet, but still ridiculously powerful?

Whatever the case, for now we have nine villains, unless Chatty doesn’t have regenerative abilities and isn’t treated. Management in this place is reminiscent to Las Noches in that respect. But judging from the size of the palace we saw in this chapter, I doubt there’s only nine people inhabiting this place.

Not exactly rocket science, this week’s title. The Buckbeard obviously refers to the emperor of the Vandenreich. What’s interesting to see here is that the size of one’s beard could be correlated to one’s power in Bleach. Just look at the three examples we can find in Bleach:

Isshin: a bearded daruma who seems to be capable of holding his own judging from the amount of time he could hold out in the precipe world.

Buckbeard: who has a longer beard than Isshin and can instantly remove a person’s arm. Considering that he is the emperor of the Vandenreich, I’d say he’s stronger than Isshin is (at this time).

Genryuusai: Long beard? Check. Strongest Shinigami seen for over 1000 years? Check.

Now, I know that you know that I know that we all know that there’s more examples of beards in Bleach that have a lot of power. So, who else would you add to this list?

Another straightforward chapter this week. The story progresses towards a war with the Vandenreich while a couple of questions are raised that are bound to be answered during this arc. First up is the shadow used to escape Soul Society (and Karakura town). What is it exactly? Then there’s the question of these Vandenreichers. What are they exactly and how could Genryuusai know who they truly are? Can these guys actually use Bankai as well as destroy them? Where’s this Ice palace located that Buckbeard and the gang are? How does Buckbeard envision this peace he supposedly is seeking?

But where’s the straightforwardness I spoke of? Well, the Sinister Seven dwarves just exit Genryuusai’s room while Genryuusai is left to ponder. Ivan survives the Getsuga to the face and retreats as well, while Ichigo is left to ponder. The dwarves and Ivan reconvene when the leader is introduced in a flashy manner, while Chatty is left to ponder where his right arm went. Straightforward, right?

In that respect, this chapter is another one in the series of this arc that is used to make the setting that will be used during this arc. Not to say that it was all that boring, but it wasn’t exactly spectacular either. Still, in terms of Bleach plot progression, this chapter certainly had a good pace. Though the part with Genryuusai frying his own room was a bit longer than necessary.

Character design for the two new characters aren’t that stellar either. Luckily Buckbeard comes over as a credible type of character. The same can’t be said about Chatty though. His uniqueness is too unique for my tastes. Buckbeard’s appearance in that respect is a bit bland, in spite of the beard. But who knows what more’s hidden in the shadow of Buckbeard.

All in all, a decent chapter, but probably better if read in succession with the chapters prior to this one, followed by the upcoming 3 to 5 chapters. Same as Bleach has always been .

So Buckbeard decided to take off an arm just because Chatty was being arrogant. Either that, or Buckbeard was annoyed by the fact that Chatty ignored him while Ivan was so exemplary in bowing before him. Something tells me that Chatty’s arm isn’t the first victim in Blackbeard’s enforcement of the rules.

This brings me to this week’s headspinner: Do you think Buckbeard has already killed off several of his followers, or will his followers have accelerated regenerative abilities?

Next week’s chapter will be all about Ichigo reporting about his fight with Ivan to his friends and (hopefully) Rukia. Ichigo will also hear about the war declaration and be told why Ivan would drag him into a war involving Soul Society and Vandenreich. The chapter will end with a shocked Ishida hearing that there might be Quincy involvement of sorts.

The chapters following that will be preparations for the upcoming war. With both sides taking action to ensure they will end up victorious in five days time. My guess is that there’s going to be one more day of ‘peace’ before the start of a four day long war. Assuming it won’t last longer than that .

That’s it for this week’s review. I hope you enjoyed the read. Now if you would be so kind to pay the bill by voting in the poll and rating the chapter. We accept both your own opinion as well as not your own opinion. I’ve been your waiter, The Underscore. Please leave a nice fat tip in the form of a reply with your own opinion of the chapter, the review, or a note on what I may have missed. Hopefully you guys will return to Chez Le ‘The Underscore’s Bleach review’ again next week. Then we’ll have a fresh batch of chapter 485 for you to enjoy being reviewed.

Rate this week's chapter by clicking on the picture above!
    The Underscore made his return (again)! Check out this week's review!

2. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Underscore's Bleach review, 484: The Buckbeard

great review The Underscore! This time you had to do the job by yourself ,dunno whether like this is better or not ;D
    I give this chapter at least a 9! since these chapters are really great,and 'cuz I really enjoyed reading them. perhaps it's not perfect but it was surely awesome. I also liked your simile to the restaurant ecc.,although I think that this kind of reviews is a bit too long...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Quincy are just probably trying to make their own Soul Society after destroying the current one, the reason they are taking all the souls. Quincies killed hollows to protect souls after all.

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

by the way, you put things as if Ichigo's bankai didn't do anything to ivan,but that's because ichigo didn't want to hurt him. in fact,he wanted just to counter him,in order to bring him to the others. Furthermore,I doubt Sasakibe meant "they can destroy bankai" ,he meant they could do bankai,imo.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SaintSheik's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Buckbeard looks like something out of One Piece..hopefully OP quality plot development will come with it

As usual, you really covered all of the bases Underscore but I just want to put out something that I noticed while reading the chapter. I'm sure it may have crossed your mind as well but regarding this chapter, while I thought it was pretty cool seeing things from the perspective of both the Human World and Soul Society’s leading shinigami (Ichigo and Yamamoto respectively), was it just me or was the scenario a bit familiar?

Looking at Ichigo’s situation, we saw Ichigo being provoked into using bankai and releasing a GT on Ivan, Ivan leaving the scene, Ivan and someone else arguing before their leader, and someone losing an arm..Do you see it yet? Looking at Ichigo’s situation, we saw Ichigo being provoked into using bankai and releasing a GT on Grimmjow, Grimmjow leaving the scene, Grimmjow and Tousen arguing before their leader (Aizen), and someone losing an arm (Grimmjow).

I’m all for nostalgia, but give it your all with the final arc, Kubo! That and Mr. Buckbeard is the kind of villain (?) that I like: one with a screwed up sense of justice. He's like a relevant Tousen . No but I really hope that the Lost Agent arc had more to it then just Ichigo regaining his shinigami powers.

If there's any truth towards Kuugo's hatred for the shinigami, and with this group looking to wipe out Soul Society, maybe there is some justification behind the hatred geared towards Soul Society..I mean up until Ichigo and Aizen shaking things up, Soul Society really came off as a pompous group of do gooders..

I can kind of almost see why people would want to take them down, even if they aren't all there in the head. Hell looking at a situation like this, what's to say someone like Aizen wanted to prevent something like this? As God-King, maybe his goal was to prevent something like this from happening? This arc is really having me think again..Good on you, Kubo

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mauricio Raphael's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

About Sasakibe's comment on the Vandenreich guys and Bankai, I read the raw version of this chapter to see what he actually said in Japanese.
    Translated, it's more like he said "These guys...Bankai..."
    There was no verb present to show what these guys are doing with Bankai most likely due to Sasakibe being severely injured.
    However, I think it's most likely these guys can make Bankai disappear based on what Ivan was trying to do with Ichigo's.
    But, if that's the case, then would that mean Sasakibe can Bankai ?

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm guessing they can all just steal Bankai like what Ebern (this is apparently the official spelling of Ivan) was doing to Ichigo. Although, if that's the case, I'm confused as to how Sasakibe gleaned this information, unless he himself has a Bankai we're unaware of.

Although, he has been the Lieutenant of Squad 1 for a long time, and seeing as how much younger Soul Reapers such as Ikkaku and Renji have learned Bankai, it wouldn't surprise me if Sasakibe had one, too. Unfortunately, we'll probably never see it if the Vandenreichers have already stolen it (just like we never even saw his Shikai).

And as for your "Kubo Title" section, Kyoraku could definitely be added to the list. XD
    And maybe Starrk, too, if goatee things count.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio Raphael View Post
    About Sasakibe's comment on the Vandenreich guys and Bankai, I read the raw version of this chapter to see what he actually said in Japanese.
    Translated, it's more like he said "These guys...Bankai..."
    There was no verb present to show what these guys are doing with Bankai most likely due to Sasakibe being severely injured.
    However, I think it's most likely these guys can make Bankai disappear based on what Ivan was trying to do with Ichigo's.
    But, if that's the case, then would that mean Sasakibe can Bankai ?
    imo, Sasakibe can use bankai,yet he wasn't referring to that,he meant they could do that as well,imho. it's strange since they should be quincy. perhaps the empire is the gathering of a lot of "outcasts",both shinigami and quincy.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MAX_COLA_POWER!'s Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Underscore. I wanted to correct you on something. On Sasakibe's warning, about the quincies using Bankai, the actual script shows, that in between the "They can" and "bankai", is actually illegible. So we don't know what the new bad guys can do with bankais, but based on Ivan's reaction, I'm pretty sure that it's, they can erase bankais.

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply