Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)

View Poll Results: Do you like dorms?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

16 37.21%
  • Yes.

27 62.79%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dormitories, yay or nay?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dormitories, yay or nay?

As of now I've been living in a dorm for a week now (for the incredibly curious, it's the Wells East Tower at UW Whitewater. For more info, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UW_Whitewater)

So far it's been terrible. No AC, internets are way slow, mosquitos everwhere (there isn't anyone on campus without at least ten bites). and people play "Stuntin' Like My Daddy" at volume 11 at midnight. It's like a really crappy crowded summer camp.

So my question is: Dormitories, heaven or hell on Earth?
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dormitories, yay or nay?

ive never been in a dorm so i cant really say lol, though i am looking to move into a studio @.@
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity PaperYomiko's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

dorms.....ahhh.....the memories

altogether, I've lived in dormitories for five years - four years at boarding school, and one year at college. It was fun during high school, but by the time I was in college.....enough is enough

my only consolation for you, Congo, is that is should get better. It's always pretty miserable for the first couple of weeks, but once the weather cools down it makes it much more bearable. As for the awful music played way too loud, I have nothing but sympathy. I was lucky enough to be on a floor of mostly music majors my freshman year, so almost everyone had very good taste in music. I did knock on one guy's door at around two in the morning, though, and told him if he was going to play his music that loud, he could at least make it something good

but, no matter how gross the bathrooms are, how annoying your roommate is, or how loud the guys above you are, it's only for a year, then you can choose your own room and/or roommate, or get an apartment off-campus and enjoy the perks of being a non-freshman

oh right I should say that I voted the big n-o for this.... I love my apartment
    "Peace to the books of the world, an iron hammer to those who would abuse them..."

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

NO. I hate dorm life =/ I moved into mine 2.5 weeks ago, it's hot as hell, the bathroom's gross, my roommate is CONSTANTLY on the phone, usually with her boyfriend, people are really really loud in the hallway and nearby rooms, especially at night, and they're having a bleeding NUDE PARTY tonight :/

HELL.

I'm back :3

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zwivix's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i didnt live in a dorm this year but im planning on doing it next year just so i can get the expierience.

The good thing im looking forward to is that the dorms at my university are two bedroom apartments. And what ive hear their great. So i say yay all the way (didnt mean to rhyme).

Not Accepting Projects(PM for details)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fugitive's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's dorm experience is going to be different. Period.

I recommend that every college student live in the dorms for their first year.
    My freshmen year was excellent. One of the best years of my life. I met so many cool people. And that was in my dorm alone. Through them, I met several other cool peeps in other dorms and off campus. Party, party, party!!

We had a community restroom that we kept clean. The cafeteria served OK food. Sure there we rules and resident assistants to monitor our halls, but it wasn't extremely strict.

Basically, just like everything else in life, the dorm life is what YOU make of it.

Now 20% Cooler 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sahugani's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i lived on-campus the past two years at UC San Diego (Muir College to be specific) and i loved it. after two years guaranteed housing i'm off campus this year though. alot of it comes down to liking your roommate and both years i got along great

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed dorm life overall. Not like it did not have it's drawbacks, but am the type of person that tends to ignore/forget about the negatives as long as they are not so severe or if the positives outweigh them.

My first year I lived on a floor where everyone acted like family. all the doors where always open people where in and out of each others rooms, the hallways and the lounge where the scene of the party every day... and the bathrooms where decent... most of the time anyway. Good times!

The rest of my college life I was in a different dorm, which was almost the exact opposite. quiet halls, closed doors, well behaved neighbors. Add an awesome roommate and proximity to the mess hall and the academic buildings, and it all begins to look very good. And the bathrooms where probably the nicest on campus.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member krazykone12's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as dorms go it's just love it or hate it just pray you don't get paired up with a jackass :S

いらっしゃい 仲間, はたらき がたい

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member woody_green's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for yay because 1) It's more convenient (you can just walk to class instead of commuting), 2) you can save money and 3) you don't have to worry about food (except when you get sick of it). By the way, I've been dorming for almost 7 years (since high school)
    Gotta love chocolate.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake View Post
    NO. I hate dorm life =/ I moved into mine 2.5 weeks ago, it's hot as hell, the bathroom's gross, my roommate is CONSTANTLY on the phone, usually with her boyfriend, people are really really loud in the hallway and nearby rooms, especially at night, and they're having a bleeding NUDE PARTY tonight :/

HELL.
    Nude party? @_@

As a deaf person I actually had the option of living in my own dorm by myself, or just commuting from the start. But still would have had to deal with the bathrooms being linked to another room - as well as the vibrations from whatever music is playing next door. I decided to commute after a while. Especially since home wasn't that far off, and I was always going home anyway.

Though, when I go back to graduate school, assuming the dorms are better for grad. students, I'll probably be at a dorm again.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

i used to live in a dorm...it was pretty good. i got to choose my room mate, who was a good friend of mine to begin with, and i also lived near some of my other freinds.

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to college in Beloit Wisconsin and I never lived in a dorm. They did have dorms but was placed in a house owned by the college. It was a house that supported like 12 kids and they had a few of those around campus. Then after one semester there, I joined TKE, a fraternity that had their own 17 room house, free washer and dryer, free cable and our own house Mom who would cook lunch and dinner for us, we had our own kitchen so breakfast and weekends were our own to cook. But i did live in a dorm for one winter session there and it wasn't bad because i had a single and only a fifth of the students were there.

i would only recommend college housing as an incentive if you want to save money. Dormitorires do suck unless you live in a coed one.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Dorm life has a lot of disadvantages, but the advantages count more. What's bad about it (for my dorm anyway) is that it's dirty, and crappy, etc. But you get to have A LOT of acquaintances and friends, drinking buddies, parties and events that you'd never experience if you weren't a dormer. It's like a special association.

Ghosted 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member godofthesunn's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I loved dorm life.. personally.. I met a bunch of people and was able to filter out the cool ones from that large amount and then establish good freindships..

bathrooms.. oh well .. dont you people share bathrooms with your sibilisngs at home.. not much diffrent really

roomate.. depends on the type you get..I was the bad roomate so meh..

All and all it was worth it

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast