Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed

Thread: Is Garp just a Vice-Admiral or a Fleet Vice-Admiral?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Garp just a Vice-Admiral or a Fleet Vice-Admiral?

The only thing that i came across watching One Piece that i didnt understand is Garps position.It was mention'd a couple of times that he was a Vice-Admiral.But hes stronger than the admirals,hows that...I mean ,hes is a legendary guy who new the seas when Pirate King was alive,he even fought him several times.So can someone explain this to me?

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Garp just a Vice-Admiral or a Fleet Vice-Admiral?

garp just wont accept being promoted to higher positions....that's all....

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

indeed,Garp was a vice-admiral but he was at least at admiral level. by the way,that's not the place to open this kinda threads,you should have asked that in the Hangout,or in one piece's page (47). but this is the section of the spoiler discussions,where we discuss about the latest chapters.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp has the rank "chuujou" which translates to vice admiral. He is apparently not bound to a home base unlike Comil (G-2 commander) and Momonga (as his ID code implies, he's head of G-1's staff), but has his own Marine warship. Becoming an admiral would limit him in his freedom to move, therefore he denied being promoted.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

He is not a Marine at all anymore, he retired in the aftermath of the war.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression that both garp and sengoku retained their titles though. I think they simply retired from their duties and got teaching positions so technically they would still be marines.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp was just a vice admiral, like a lot of the D.'s he just wanted the freedom to do as he pleased.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp wasn't just a VA, he was HQ VA. As such he holds more authority than sub-division (base) VA, such as G5-VA Smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    [..]Momonga (as his ID code implies, he's head of G-1's staff)[..]
    Could you explain that ID-Code? Not sure what u r talking about. Two years ago he was part of the Buster Call. As such he has to be a HQ VA.

I did some further digging after ur post and found out that the marine officer in chapter 598 isn't Mamonga. Apparently it was further confirmed in the anime. I don't watch it anymore, so I don't know it for a fact. However it makes more sense for Mamonga being a HQ VA than a G1 VA.

Edit: Just checked: Episode 517 at 16:03 Isn't Mamonga for sure.
    Last edited by BlackHair; March 19, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHair View Post
    Garp wasn't just a VA, he was HQ VA. As such he holds more authority than sub-division (base) VA, such as G5-VA Smoker.
    As a matter of fact, Oda never said something about VA's from headquarters being stronger or having more authority than base commanding VAs. Actually, he showed VA Comil having the sole command over G-2, and being called as one of the strongest fighters of the Marine forces to Marineford. Vice Admirals may have some priviliges like having an own warship (like Garp's).

That's it what we know of Vice Admirals.

Could you explain that ID-Code? Not sure what u r talking about. Two years ago he was part of the Buster Call. As such he has to be a HQ VA.
    Momonga's authorization code for passing the Justice Gate starts with G-1. Oda placed a gap between "G-1" and "00660":

Being in the Buster Call fleet doesn't have anything to do with where the VA is stationed. The Buster Call fleet is assembled by several warships that are the closest to the target. Marineford is just the closest and largest marine base to Enies Lobby. And we don't know why these VAs have been at that time at Marine Headquarters, probably because Blackbeard delivered Ace to them some days ago. There was no explanation given aside from Garp saying that he wasn't in Marineford to respond to the Enies Lobby request for Buster Call.

I did some further digging after ur post and found out that the marine officer in chapter 598 isn't Mamonga.
    Then it must be his monocygote twin with the same beard and hair style but a basecap to appear different...

How often do people have to say this? DON'T EVER rely on the anime. They lack of credits, rename characters (proven by Blue Deep databook "Kaizerhige" vs. Stainless) and read the manga instead. Please compare Momonga shown on the page above with that mustache of his and compare it to this commanding officer. It's pretty striking that this IS Momonga:

Even the wrinkles are the same ...

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

It was stated in the green datebook that HQ marine officers hold more authority than subdivision ones.

The code is rather interesting. I already forget about that completely.

As to anime and manga: It is not out of the ordinary for Oda making mistakes in drawings or creating character with similar design. Though Im not watching the anime, I use it to clarify things which were ill-defined in the manga. Mamonga being the perfect case. Though that code clears everything up.

PS: Ur sarcasm annoys the hell out of me. I tried my best being polite, but Im forced to draw a line here. In further discussions with you I will always remember ur sarcasm.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

It was stated in the green datebook that HQ marine officers hold more authority than subdivision ones.
    Which log and page for reference issues?

PS: Ur sarcasm annoys the hell out of me. I tried my best being polite, but Im forced to draw a line here. In further discussions with you I will always remember ur sarcasm.
    Sorry, if you feel hurt. It was meant as joke. And still: No, the anime doesn't clarify but obfuscate.
    Last edited by hoeru; March 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

arg'.. I thought I put the link in my post. Here u go. The question is asked for general differences between HQ and subdivision. The answer has Morgan as example. Giving it some thoughts, it makes sense for the elite being in HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    No, the anime doesn't clarify but obfuscate.
    If the manga itself isn't clear enough and if there isn't any SBS or whatever answers from Oda, we have only the anime left. The anime is the closest we have besides Odas canon.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member warsetone's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

No Garp is just a vice admiral, and No its never said that hes stronger than other admirals, the current 3 admirals (pre time skip) were said to be the strongest in Marine.

"Cornering Roger" is nothing special, considering:
    1) Smoker (currently vice admiral) has also cornered Luffy (the upcoming pirate king) many times.
    2) others like Shiki have also cornered Roger.
    3) It's not like Roger is all mighty god-like to began with, he probably gradually developed his skills like Luffy does
    4) In comparison, many today, could consider to be Luffy's rival, like Smoker, Kidd, Law, Sentomaru etc, and those will eventually be known as the pirate king's rival...

But Garp is admiral level strength at his prime, proabably comparable to Sengoku, considering how shit most other vice admirals are (generally below shichibukai standard)
    Last edited by warsetone; March 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

The rank Admirals were said to be the strongest force of the HQ, not each individually. So there is no canon saying Garp is definitely weaker. Im not necessarily saying he is stronger, however its way to early to make judgements.

Furthermore Roger himself stated in the fights with Garp, to have nearly killed each other many times. So apart from WB, Garp is also one of those who fought Roger to standstill. Two years ago WB was limited with past battle wounds and health problems, yet he was worthy to be feared. Garp who is not limited with health problems, shouldn't disappoint either.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator message by: Uriel
    The question was soled, therefore I close this thread now. For any further discussion about Marine Tittles, please redirect to the right threads.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Thread Closed