Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GIMP - Questions and Discussion

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb GIMP - Questions and Discussion

Here is a place for you to talk about GIMP (any version). You may ask questions, give tips, discuss features and plugins, share brushes and other presets, or anything else generally related to GIMP and manga.

To download GIMP, go to http://www.gimp.org/

This sticky was patched together from all previous threads that fit this category. The actual creation date of this sticky is May 31st, 2011.
    Last edited by DrPepperPro; June 01, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Gimp Tutorials?

Hello, i was wondering if anyone know of any gimp tutorials on cleaning manga? I would us Photoshop but i use linux, thus it would be pointless for me to run it in wine. (too slow)

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eagle's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gimp Tutorials?

I don't use THE GIMP, but I've found one tutorial one day, try those links :
    Introduction : http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...F/introduction
    Presentation : http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...orisation%5F/1
    Cleaning : http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...orisation%5F/2
    Coloring : http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...orisation%5F/3
    Conclusion : http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...%5F/conclusion

And this one for The Gimp Interface explanations :
    http://www.supinfo-projects.com/en/2...2%5F2004%5Fen/

Good luck !

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gimp Tutorials?

Thanks for the links!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gimp text problem

Anyone here use GIMP? I've just started, and for some reason, everytime I try to use the text editor box thing, Windows says there is an error and it closes. I can't stop it. This happen to anyone, and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member _V0iD_'s Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gimp text problem

Hi, i have used the gimp for typesetting before, and that has never happened to me. Have you tried un-installing gimp and gtk, then re-installing both and trying again?
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

PM or Email me if you're interested.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No, maybe I should try that...[br]Posted on: September 21, 2006, 05:19:27 AM_________________________________________________IT WORKS! Thank you!

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member _V0iD_'s Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

lol no problem, glad i could be of help

Moved to the main MH Academy board. ~ Ayah
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

PM or Email me if you're interested.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Typesetting for Linux Users

The first four following posts were moved from the Double Arts thread into this one. ~eni

Sounds interesting but I'm a noob at that kind of stuff. And then using GIMP, since I have Linux, is going to be ... well, interesting for the most part. Wich Paint.NET was available for Linux.
    Last edited by eni; January 04, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

you can typeset pretty well with gimp, segua *is used to doing just that* after a short period of getting used to it, it's pretty easy too =3 just a different interface (though I hear that's supposed to change in v2.7/2.8 finally x3)

And Photoshop (up till CS2) works on Linux perfectly, too Dunno about Paint.Net, but I doubt that will work that easily...

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate typesetting in Gimp since it not offers any further options to format text. The text tool is Gimp's big let down compared to PS' otherwise it's fully equal, IMHO.

Therefor I still recommend to simply boot a windows image with Qemu or Vmware-Player. It's the easiest way and we're going extremely offtopic here >.>

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not even dare to typeset with GIMP. It's much more work than it needs to be. I find that, when I was still using windows, that Paint.NET and Adobe ImageReady worked great together. (Didn't want to buy full version of PS:CS2 or bootleg PS:CS).

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Segua, this becomes very offtopic in this thread. Let me move the posts to the academy. 1 sec. Ok, done.

Well, you could give Paint Mono a try. It's a project that tries to port Paint.NET to unix but the current project status is unclear to me:
    http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/May-19.html
    http://redirect.trinec.de/?code.goog...Fpaint-mono%2F

You could also try Krita instead of GIMP. But I haven't installed it in ages and can't say at all how the font tool has developed. I also don't know whether you can import PSD's or not.
    http://koffice.org/krita

Another alternative is scribus, a layout program for print media. If you have seen the MH Yearbook, I've made the whole Moderators-part in scribus. You can import psd's too but you have to calculate from px to pt or mm.
    http://www.scribus.net

Though, when the group is working with PS, it's hard. I had the experience that GIMP doesn't always import PSD layers correctly and as said above it's a bitch when you want to typeset. Scanning, cleaning, editing and coloring is absolutely no problem in GIMP but I wouldn't recommend it for typesetting.

The best solution for me is still to boot a windows image in a virtual machine and simply open PS (or whatever you're used to) for such stuff. I'm not a fan of emulating with Wine, either all or none.
    As much as I wish for working with linux only, I simply don't feel like making my life any harder then it needs to be and there's a handful of programs that I really love to work with which won't get any linux alternative in the near future (in my case: Corel Painter, Terragen, Poser, Photo Impact and my Genealogy software).
    Last edited by eni; January 04, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Typesetting for Linux Users

I've been trying to find a suitable Linux graphic design program. GIMP is nice but I don't like the whole work flow but it's dreary.

When it comes to text, so far, PS and the tools Adobe provides seems to be the best so far in my opinion. Well, I suppose I should clarify my point. If a person is going to be do anything fancy with the text such as extra effects, PS is great.

Now that I think about it, if the picture is saved in a really high resolution or a big picture, a page layout program might work wonders when it comes to text. I should give that a shot.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Typesetting for Linux Users

The layout program becomes problematic when the typesetter gets pages with PS layers and is expected to send them back as such. I could 'import' the psd as an image but not export it, so it only works when you're the last one in line or a standalone scanlator.

You basically load the page as an background image and set text layers on it which can be saved as a container or exported as png/jpg/pdf/whatever. It's possible to have a whole chapter in one container file since you can work with several pages (magazine project).

Scribus, as a natural print layout software, offers a wide and easy to set repertoire for all kind of text settings and effects (though, you have to get used to it as the menu is very different from graphic programs). The negative side is, however, that it works with formats for print media and that it's not meant to handle graphics aside from being images on a page. It opens up GIMP out of the project file when you want to edit a graphic, though. It has layers, a path tool and could be used for borders and lines but clearly not for cleaning and such.

Well, just try it. I really enjoy working with it in combination with GIMP but it's surely a matter of habit and patience :3
    Last edited by eni; January 04, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast