Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: The Bleach anime has ended...

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!

0 0%
  • It's for the best...

9 45.00%
  • It should've ended a long time ago...

0 0%
  • NOOOOOO! Why now?

6 30.00%
  • I'll give you a nice rant with my thoughts on this matter....

5 25.00%
New Reply

Thread: The Underscore's Bleach review, 486: Crimson Cremation

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member The Underscore's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach The Underscore's Bleach review, 486: Crimson Cremation

486: Crimson Cremation

Busy, busy, busy... I finally have some free time on my hands! Might as well use that to write this review... Before I rush through the review, I have to mention the end of the Bleach anime. Even though the anime could've filled a year's worth of episodes about the great adventures of KON, it just had to end with the previous arc... Hopefully, the anime will pick up again in a year or so once this new arc is on its way. But that's for later, it's time for now.

Bleach chapter 485, Foundation stones, rated by 10 voters, gets an average score of:

Great

Me being obsessed with KON? No way. More importantly, it's about who you guys want to hear about.

With a total of 27 voters, there's a whopping 22 who want to know about KON! This concludes the questionnaire needed to prove to Kubo that he needs to show us KON again soon.

Of course, there were 5 voters who couldn't help but wonder: Is there an option in this poll where you don't want to hear more about KON? The answer, obviously, is NO. KON-clusion: everyone wants to know more about KON!

Sure, besides one voter who is only loyal to KON, there's some other relatively insignificant characters who people want to know more about right now.

Three voters want to know more about Nel's story as well... but most importantly also about KON.

Six voters want to know more about KON, of course, and also about Harribel. This makes sense, because KON would probably love to know more about Harribel as well .

Twelve voters understood that there's only so much awesomeness you can handle in the form of KON. As such they chose someone as close to the lionesque figure that is KON to know about. Some Arrancar named Grimmjow or something. Sure, he's bound to be alive somewhere. For all we know he's been on an epic journey along with KON to find a way to restore Ichigo's powers for the purpose of fighting him again.

Courier Hollow

We'll get your message there fast!... but we never said anything about it getting there safely

As if Ichigo didn't have enough to worry about, with Soul Society being sentenced to destruction in five days time, Nel decides to drop in like a bombshell. Nel's message leaves a good impression (in the concrete), with the message being that Hueco Mundo has been attacked. With Nel crying, Ichigo can't get anything else out of her. But then Ichigo senses something far more dangerous than an Arrancar-child boring itself into Ichigo's guts. He quickly dodges a supersonic being while keeping Nel safe.

The assailant seems to be disappointed about missing Ichigo, revealing that he had been plotting this assault for -this is a guesstimate- a whopping four seconds. But Ichigo being who he is unsurprisingly managed to dodge this attack. The mysterious assailant then realizes that his crotch isn't enough information for Ichigo to realize who he is. Yet somehow Ichigo, who is terrible at faces, recognizes the assailant's crotch: Pesche. Ichigo greets Pesche by kicking him in the crotch. The lesson we learn here kids: don't introduce yourself using your crotch or it'll be squashed.

Ichigo tells Pesche he shouldn't fool around right now as Ichigo is trying to listen to Nel's message of Hueco Mundo being attacked. Pesche regains his composure -sort of- by pulling his head out of the hole he dug himself into. Facing Ichigo with his behind, Pesche confirms that Nel's message is important. Why? Because Hueco Mundo was attacked! Which we already know...

Choujirou Tadaoki Sasakibe

Secretly awesome

Going from the lightheartedness of Nel and Pesche meeting up with Ichigo, we go to the funeral of the first division's vice-captain. Just so we know what we've lost here, Byakuya decides to give us a short narrative of Sasakibe's live.

Sasakibe had two things going for him: No one ever noticed him and he was loyal as there can be. Though it might be worth mentioning that Sasakibe was actually more awesome than even Kyouraku and Ukitake. Though Ikkaku may think he's the first man to want to hide his Bankai and serve his captain for eternity, Sasakibe gets to call first. Much like some of you have been speculating since Sasakibe's last words, the dude had Bankai!

Of course, there were more people (including myself) who were more concerned with the fact that Sasakibe never fought. Sure, Sasakibe never showed his skills in front of others, but that doesn't explain why he wouldn't fight using his Shikai. Then again, with Genryuusai being his captain and the old man being quite the hothead, it might have been for the better for Sasakibe to allow Genryuusai to fight. Still, doesn't change the fact that it's odd for a vice-captain who has been there for just as long as Ukitake and Kyouraku to hardly fight.

But Sasakibe stayed true to himself in spite of what others said about him. In a way that deserves some respect. What's more, his promise to Genryuusai to stay vice-captain so long as the old-man was still alive is rather special. Can you imagine staying a vice-captain for over 1000 years just for the sake of a promise, even though he should've been easily been capable of being a captain.

Remorse

First Sasakibe, then the anime... or was it the other way around?

Knowing the kind of guy Sasakibe used to be, Byakuya raises an important fact. Sasakibe used his Bankai in front of others for the first time. This means the situation was dire enough to force his hand into going all out. Admittedly, it's easy to say that Sasakibe probably failed at using his Bankai properly due to a lack of practice. But I seriously doubt that a man who is prepared to take over a captain's position the minute Genryuusai croaks wouldn't be capable of using his Bankai properly.

This leaves the Bankai sealing spell used by Ivan before. Considering the final message left by Sasakibe, it's obvious the spell was used on him. Though I can't say for sure how the sealing of a Bankai could affect Sasakibe's combat ability, I'd say that the sudden disappearance of his Bankai was what caught him off guard.

For now, we shouldn't mourn the loss of an unseen Bankai. Rather, we should mourn the loss of Genryuusai's most loyal friend. Byakuya points out how incomprehensible this is for others besides Genryuusai. Can you imagine losing your best friend who you've know for almost your entire lifetime? Hundredfold the time and experiences you've had with that person, and you might have a vague idea as to what Genryuusai has just lost. With the years showing in Genryuusai's eyes, he gives the order to light the fires. As the flames rise, we bid farewell to Sasakibe. One of, if not the most, unappreciated character in Bleach...

Hueco Mundo Post-Aizen

Harribel got the better end in the divorce

Ichigo called the others over as soon as he could. Ishida's always in for a night stroll and escape his father's watching eye, so that's no issue. I doubt Orihime would pass on any opportunity to sit on Ichigo's bed. Chad, being Chad, has no problem showing up late at night. He has more trouble with the news about Hueco Mundo being true.

Nel asks the friendly giant if he doesn't trust her. The friendly giant is a bit disappointed that the cute little midget has forgotten who he is. Pesche then decides to discuss things more seriously now. First, he confirms that Nel's story is true. He then explains what happened in Hueco Mundo after the top dogs were killed by Soul Society, Harribel got promoted to Queen of the underworld! But then she was attacked and taken away by some mysterious figures. Though the culprits are unknown to Pesche, their motives aren't. Pesche tells us that the culprits are taking Arrancars to use as vanguards. Ichigo then realizes that Ivan was the same.

Pesche then gets to the reason as to why Nel and Pesche actually care about this situation: Dondochakka was taken by Vandenreich as well! I'd bet that once Renji hears about that... Anyways, Chad, Orhime, and Ichigo are ready to go out and help out Hueco Mundo. Ishida, as usual, can't tag along because of his Quincy duties, this time preventing him from helping out the Hollows he's supposed to destroy. This fact is so predictable, that Ichigo's the one who explains it to the others.

Urahara Interdimensional Airlines

Give him a ton of Paper Mache and he'll even get you to Soul Society

Ishida is somewhat surprised at the fact that Ichigo knew what he was about to say. Though he's more worried about the fact that he can't tag along. Of course, Ichigo beats Ishida to the punch of asking why he would invite Ishida if he already knew he wouldn't tag along. Basically, Ishida's be sulking if he was left out of the loop. Ishida isn't too happy to realize he's been completely read by someone like Ichigo. Ichigo, however, is having too much fun with Ishida right now as he points out that they don't really need Ishida. Of course, when there's people to be messed with, a certain Sandal-hat can't be too far behind.

Urahara decides to come in through Ichigo's window -I wouldn't have minded a paint bomb flying through the window - as he offers to arrange Ichigo's trip to Hueco Mundo. Guess that's Urahara for you, he's still two steps ahead of Ichigo's every move. Though I'm curious as to how much Urahara knows about this current situation.

Losing one's head

With the anime gone, Kubo can draw these kinds of scenes

As Urahara airlines prepares for departure, the scene changes to the Ice Palace. We see that Ivan's corpse is being cleaned up. Next to his corpse, there's the medallion he used to activate the Bankai destruction spell. A white haired member of Buckbeard's army notices the medallion and points out that it's been used. However, the medallion's true purpose hasn't been met. Rather than it being intended to destroy Ichigo's Bankai, it is meant to capture it!

Buckbeard, who rather looks like Zangetsu here, thinks about the implications of this failed attempt. He then concludes that they need a special way to take Ichigo's Bankai from him. The white haired member notes that it's still a good thing they tried it this way, meaning they can rule this option out. Buckbeard seems to agree before deciding to get a new batch of Arrancars to fill his ranks. The white haired man then tells his king that it will be as he desires.

Kuugo returns?

Either that, or we have another case of Ichigo/Hisagi/Kaien going

Meanwhile, in Hueco Mundo, Arrancars are being guided by the Vandenreich people. For some reason, one of these Vandenreichers looks like Kuugo. Honestly, I wouldn't mind this guy being Kuugo. I'd say that could make for some fun later in this arc, if Kubo plays his cards right. Just so long as Giriko doesn't return...

Whatever the case, Vandenreich is still busy getting their troops ready for the war. Judging by the cloaks worn by these prisoners and their sizes, these should be Arrancars. Of course, with plenty of people missing from Rukongai, there's always the possibility of these being people who are meant to be used as well. Though that's the less likely thing to be true.

All in all, we can conclude that Ichigo's Bankai is one of the foundation stones for Buckbeard's plans. With Ichigo now rushing to Hueco Mundo, could it be that he's walking right into Buckbeard's hands? All that, and more, in next week's chapter with color pages!

The Crimson Cremation. The cremation part is rather obvious, with Sasakibe's funeral and all. The crimson part probably has to do with all the bloodshed surrounding the recent developments in Bleach. Either that, or it's referring to the crimson flames that will dance through the corpses of the people who killed Genryuusai's vice-captain. I doubt Gneryuusai is going to let things slide like this. Can you imagine Genryuusai arriving at the Ice Palace before going Bankai on Vandenreich? I'd say flames will be crimson by then

This is the transitional chapter between Kubo having set the scene, and the protagonists' actions to do something about it. From Ichigo learning about Hueco Mundo's situation to deciding to go there to do something about it. In between, we get some key information on what happened to Sasakibe and how this could affect the rest of this arc. I'm not too keen about Bankai's being stolen, especially considering how there's plenty of captains who still need to Bankai before the end of the series.

Honestly, the situation in Hueco Mundo before Vandenreich appeared wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. The fact that the top 3 Espada were the actual top 3 is a bit disappointing if you consider how easily they were beaten in the end. Still, could be worst.

The Arrancar prison camps and the way Buckbeard watches how his halls are cleaned of Arrancar residue show us that he is more than determined to use the Arrancar as tools. Though this raises the question as to who the white haired person is. With all the Quincy signs around (as shown on the banners on the last page) it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that he might be one as well. Then again, the Quincy crest has been used by an Arrancar as well...

All in all, a decent chapter. Started out with enough gag material, gave a farewell to Sasakibe, and promises us Urahara in action sooner or later. I'm curious to see how the second invasion of Hueco Mundo by Ichigo will go. Especially considering as there's still one taking place right now.

Sasakibe turns out to have been just as good a Shinigami as Kyouraku and Ukitake. He's even been around just as long as the Gotei 13 have existed. With Sasakibe being such a swell guy...Why are Genryuusai and Byakuya the only ones of the captains present at the funeral?

Next week's chapter will probably start out at Urahara's. Urahara will reveal how he found out about Hueco Mundo and will tell Ichigo that he's going with considering what happened with Sasakibe. Ichigo and the others will then head through the gate, with Ishida staying behind. As Ichigo's gang starts fighting Vandenreich, the white haired man will confront Ishida. He will then ask Ishida to join them, the real Quincy's, asking him to help with the capture of Ichigo's Bankai. When Ishida asks why he would do that, the white haired man will say that it has something to do with Ryuuken and Isshin...

That’s it for this week’s review. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Be sure to let me know what your thoughts are on this week’s chapter and/or review, give any theories that you may have and to vote in this week’s poll. Don’t forget to rate this week’s chapter! Hopefully I’ll see you guys again next week! If I can find the time...

Rate this week's chapter by clicking on the picture above!
    Last edited by The Underscore; April 01, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    The Underscore made his return (again)! Check out this week's review!

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Underscore's Bleach review, 486: Crimson Cremation

I've been wondering since Ivan's fight with Ichigo if they were trying to steal Bankai's. Looks like I was right. I wonder, if they succeed in stealing Ichigo's would we see the return of his hollow mask?

On another topic, can't Kubo ever use some nice easy to spell names for a group?

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ichigoaizenkiller's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

why are u referring to Ichigo as Aizen and shikia as bankia im i missing something? im a bit confused.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Hahahahahahaha damn i forgot it was april fools!
    "admiration is the emotion furthest from
    understanding."

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clydu94's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ichigoaizenkiller View Post
    why are u referring to Ichigo as Aizen and shikia as bankia im i missing something? im a bit confused.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Hahahahahahaha damn i forgot it was april fools!
    April Fools !
    Great review as always ! Loved the Urahara part.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If they have stolen Sasakibe's Bankai, then perhaps not all hope is lost and we'll finally be able to see what his Zanpakuto can do through proxy.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I wonder if it really is lightning-based like in the anime fillers.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the review The Underscore,I post now because I hadn't read it entirely in these days. thank's! I think we will see sasakibe's bankai being used by the vandenreich too. that will make them even stronger,and will provide a good fight.
    but about what you said of sasakibe. he didn't fight because he didn't want to risk his life,he had to protect yamamoto no matter what. and he wasn't really hiding his bankai,the others knew that,cause it was written in datas.contrariwise,ikkaku doesn't want anyone to know that.
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; April 08, 2012 at 06:33 AM.

New Reply