Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: sage mode...how many are there???

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sage mode...how many are there???

Obviously there are different methods for gathering natural energy to attain "Sage Mode". Doing it the Toads way obviously makes you turn into a toad if you screw up, I'm sure there are similar side effects for doing it the snakes way.

Also, it could depend on the blood contracts between users.

And just to make sure people understand, there have only been 3 confirmed human Sages in the manga. Jiraiya, Naruto, and now Kabuto. Minato is not a Sage despite what fanboys want to believe. Neither is Kismame as he actually fused with a living being in Samehada.

Ma and Pa are considered Sages as well but they are not human. And I assume the Snake boss was a Sage as well.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Some animals may be more mystical than others. Toads, slugs, snakes and monkeys seem to be far more versatile then any other animal we've seen.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: sage mode...how many are there???

Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    I am wondering what is more powerfull. Naruto's SM or Kabuto's SM.
    i know...wouldn't this be a great rematch to see...toad sage vs dragon sage.but all bullshit aside...this will obviously give sasuke the experience he needs to fight naruto in SM.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post

And just to make sure people understand, there have only been 3 confirmed human Sages in the manga. Jiraiya, Naruto, and now Kabuto. Minato is not a Sage despite what fanboys want to believe.
    i didn't mean that there were others...it's just looking like we will have a third kind...from the three places kabuto mentioned...there has to be one more.i just used the slug as an example since two of the sannin have shown sage arts(oro through kabuto).
    as far as sages go...we can't forget RS who was a sage...lol.
    minato was mentioned to be a sage...but i agree with you...he may not have been to the degree of sage that jiraiya,naruto and kabuto have/had reached.
    R.I.P. jiraiya...we surely miss you.
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Remember when Naruto used a special oil to train ? I think it's the same with the Snakes and the Slugs. Each oil for training (is it its only purpose actually ?) probably has his own side effects, related to the specie.
    Well, the issue at hand is that according to the sage toad the oil is not quite the standard training method, that is merely the faster method. Assuming naruto had done things the proper way would he have turned into a frog or something else? In this regard, I don't think the oil alone would explain anything. More so, oil alone has never been mentioned to have any other implicit effect other than forcing nature's energy into, it was never mentioned or implied it had any sort of effect on what animal you would turn into.

Perhaps there are clues on the matter with the cursed seal though. As we now know, the curse seal is some sort of sage mode rippoff from jugo who naturally absorbs nature's energy. These guys didn't transform into frogs or snake when using the curse seal but rather it seemed to be something somewhat random. Kimimaru was a dinosaur kinda critter, kidomaru was a spider thingy and other random cursed seal users seemed to be based on animals. Perhaps there is such a thing as an animal affinity? In this regard, each person transforms into an animal to which he has an affinity and can only learn the sage techniques of that animal. Fukasaku said only people with high chakra capacities can learn sage techniques, perhaps he referred to an affinity with frog related techniques, basically a way to determine who has any given affinity. Maybe snake sage techniques don't even require high chakra capacities(considering neither orochimaru nor kabuto seemed to have high chakra capacity).

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity KiSwordsman's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, the issue at hand is that according to the sage toad the oil is not quite the standard training method, that is merely the faster method. Assuming naruto had done things the proper way would he have turned into a frog or something else? In this regard, I don't think the oil alone would explain anything. More so, oil alone has never been mentioned to have any other implicit effect other than forcing nature's energy into, it was never mentioned or implied it had any sort of effect on what animal you would turn into.

Perhaps there are clues on the matter with the cursed seal though. As we now know, the curse seal is some sort of sage mode rippoff from jugo who naturally absorbs nature's energy. These guys didn't transform into frogs or snake when using the curse seal but rather it seemed to be something somewhat random. Kimimaru was a dinosaur kinda critter, kidomaru was a spider thingy and other random cursed seal users seemed to be based on animals. Perhaps there is such a thing as an animal affinity? In this regard, each person transforms into an animal to which he has an affinity and can only learn the sage techniques of that animal. Fukasaku said only people with high chakra capacities can learn sage techniques, perhaps he referred to an affinity with frog related techniques, basically a way to determine who has any given affinity. Maybe snake sage techniques don't even require high chakra capacities(considering neither orochimaru nor kabuto seemed to have high chakra capacity).
    I agree as far as the animal affinity goes. It would make sense due to the fact that Jugo's cursed seal spawned different transformations for whoever had it. Although that still wouldn't explain much about jugo himself, and what he was able to do with the ability.

I'm not sure, as far as capacity of chakra goes. We can't be sure how much of a boost in chakra Kabuto received from augmenting Orochimaru's cells into his body, but if Edo Tensei is an indication, I'd say he got enough.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

i must point out though, that some people have signed more than 1 blood contract

sasuke has contracts with both snakes and birds

This is something kishi has to explain

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: sage mode...how many are there???

but just because it's a blood contract...are those animals capable of being sages...probably would be a better question.
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, summon animals are capable of being sages, Fugasaku proved that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: sage mode...how many are there???

but,what's good about learning from a hawk...if you can't fly.
    i don't think all summons are intellectual as the three from the sacred places kabuto mentioned...one is the toad mountain,the other the dragon cave.
    the other was some kind of bone forest(to lazy to look...lol)...hopefully is a monkey/ape sage...but more than likely it's some kinda slug/snail/octopus/squid thingy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rosebunse's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    i must point out though, that some people have signed more than 1 blood contract

sasuke has contracts with both snakes and birds

This is something kishi has to explain
    Well, his curse seal transformation did have wings. And it's apparent that the Uchiha have an affinity for birds. We never saw Sasuke, without Orochimaru in his system, use snakes other than through summoning.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The uchiha have an affinity for cats, or so I thought. Wasn't that the whole point of introducing those cats?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rosebunse's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiSwordsman View Post
    The uchiha have an affinity for cats, or so I thought. Wasn't that the whole point of introducing those cats?
    It says in the data book that Madara had a thing for summoning hawks. And Itachi seems to have a love for crows. I don't think those people were Uchiha, just people who traded with the Uchiha and who may have been allies with them.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: sage mode...how many are there???

i don't know guys...kabuto stated the three places where you train to become a sage.i can't buy into the fact that all animal summons have/are able to become/were once a sage.just wouldn't make the technique special...three would be good...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    i don't know guys...kabuto stated the three places where you train to become a sage.i can't buy into the fact that all animal summons have/are able to become/were once a sage.just wouldn't make the technique special...three would be good...
    Even if all summon animals had access to sage mode, that wouldn't mean that all the people who have contracts with those animals would be able to utilize sage mode. The techniue is special in the fact that it takes someone to need to focus on the techniques with a contract to even be able to access it. Most ninja use summon animals as mere tools. The best example of this would be Sasuke. Only a few ninja have been shown to treat the animals with respect.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Sasuke's hawks have different abilities like the ones in angry birds.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast