Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Where to look for people who want to do professional level manga work

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to look for people who want to do professional level manga work

Hi, I have been coming to this forum as a guest for years. I am a huge fan of large amount of manga BUT I have always had a serious passion for Naruto before it was even released in America. I have come up with a few stories that seem to be very popular with my friends that like the manga. They are completely independent (mostly at least) of the main characters and they all just take place in the narutoverse. I am looking to pay (fairly well in my opinion) for someone to help me draw out the characters and story in a manga format. I am an IT professional and even a martial arts practitioner (brazilian jiu jitsu....semi successful and soon to be world champ literally) . I make decent money. One of my life goals is to convey at least one awesome story of an everyday type ninja. Anyway, all responses are welcome. I need to know where and the best way to find people. If you are a serious artist yourself and have made pages of manga (not part of the scanlated process) then PLEASE email me with a sample of your work and your experience and location...and rate if you already have one otherwise we can discuss it.

Things to note right off of the bat:

a) the plot and setting is freaking awesome
    b) I will most likely release it on an ad free site that provides a proprietary solution to display it as opposed to allowing tons of different sites to post it however they want. This is to get feedback specifically on the item and have it stored in about one place. I don't want to travel to 100 sites to hear what people think of it when it is first released. In addition, it will be proprietary to keep people from ripping it and since I know software geniuses...a simple "print screen" isn't going to do it either. This is just at the beginning, at some point it will be for everyone. In addition, the digital project will be completely free.
    c) it will either be a very long project where it is released all at once way down the line OR more than likely, a project split into chapters released about twice or once a month depending on how many pages, how long it takes for art, etc,...
    d) I will be writing and directing it primarily. I obviously don't mind feedback and advice BUT keep in mind it is majority of my project and i would like control. If you are someone that doesn't take direction well (i.e. you don't agree with someone so you quit or get mad and don't do work for a while) PLEASE do not submit yourself for consideration. That being said, there is a lot of creative freedom and I am very open to discussion as I have been my whole life.

I would prefer if it was someone located on the east coast in the United States as that is very easy to meet up as compared to someone that lives in spain.

This is incredibly serious and is not some joke or half wit idea. I really am looking for PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. If you are 15 and submit really awesome samples then you may get hooked up very well.

I am looking at about 200 to 500 US dollars as my low end per chapter depending on the quality. If this should be in a different forum then please let me know and I will PM an admin to remove this and I will place this in the correct forum.

Thanks,

Brian
    Last edited by ekopalm; March 23, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner arusia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to look for people who want to do professional level manga work

Now this sounds interesting. Have you had any luck so far?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The_kid's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, i'd would love to read your stuff and give you additional tips (free of charge, at the condition of free read lol)

where to look for people at profession level drawing ability? art class (at the university mainly but its not within your preferences) also at the main big groups (scanlation groups) / (quality check team) [they might do redrawels or some photoshopping on their end, making the chapters more sufficient and fit to read, better to look at etc) , main big forums, fan-manga forums etc i would guess.
    If we're talking bout money i'm sure some maniac might agree... somewhere... don't ask me where, when, and what time lol... i don't know either.
    Last edited by The_kid; April 04, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Raenef's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

redrawing is not drawing it is just recreating the art cut off through jap text or joining pages and sometimes thinking of some art if there is not enough
    Was glänzt, ist für den Augenblick geboren,
    Das Echte bleibt der Nachwelt unverloren.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That which glitters is born for the moment;
    The genuine remains intact for future days.

- J.W. von Goethe (1749-1832), Faust I (Vorspiel auf dem Theater)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do some drawing, just not sure it's the style you would be looking for. http://www.arusiasotto.deviantart.com

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some side opinions, it may be AWESOME for you, but not for the majority of the readers, what counts is the reader's majority not the author's opinion.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, he's willing to pay for labor. He's not asking to be paid for his. This seems to be more of a self gratification post than anything else. Which is perfectly fine. If he was aiming to sell it, then outside opinions would matter. Though anyone who does agree to this should get everything in contract including a clause involving sales. You might think I am joking, but if Megatokyo was popular enough for tankobons, this guys could be as well. Though putting it in the Narutoverse puts a
    big kink in that line of thought.

Also, as I stated, I might consider it if I saw what it was that needed drawing.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that if someone wants to really think about this, if we're looking at a real quality fully inked page, then there's no way it would take you less than... 3 hours? And that's an extremely optimistic number. I haven't drawn many pages, I admit, but I can't draw a good one in less than five hours, I think. I don't look at the time, but basically it's one day and a very long sitting.
    But say you're better than me and you do it in three hours. I'm not going to assume 2 hours or less, because if anyone here can do that, they should be doing more important stuff than helping this guy. Average 18 pages per chapter (for a Naruto-ish work), if each page is 3 hours then that takes 3*18 = 54 hours. So that's what you're looking at for the 200~500.
    Now, $500 would be $9.26 an hour. A bit over minimum wage.
    $200, on the other hand, is $3.7 an hour, less than half of minimum wage.
    So it might be a lot easier and more beneficial to just get "a real job." By which I mean go to McDonalds or something. My girlfriend makes roughly the same as the $9 end by working at McDonalds, and it's a lot easier than drawing 18 pages. Drawing 18 genuine manga pages is very very hard. But I'm not criticizing, it's nice that he wants to pay (though I don't know what the point is, could you really sell it if it was all based in a Naruto world? I don't know.)
    In general, even though he's paying, I feel sort of shit about him requiring "professional level" art when the artist isn't guaranteed the work will have a professional level story, I still don't think anyone would want to waste their time on a really really bad story. I'm not saying it is bad, though. Obviously no one here read it.

Also, important: Brian, you should probably pay per page and not per chapter. Some chapters are 16 pages, some are 22. It varies. The first chapter in a serious story manga is always ~50 pages, which is more than twice a normal chapter, so the pay obviously has to vary. In a serious system of paying, you should make it per page. That's my opinion, anyway. Or maybe work hours that the whole thing took, except then the artist could just lie about how long it took them, so that probably wouldn't work. When you do get to paying someone, just think about that part more and come up with the best system possible.

As for the positive end, many people here just want you to draw their story and don't intend to pay you, so if you're genuinely interested in the story, it's certainly a very nice boost. I would probably do it if I was good enough and had the motivation, because I draw all the time anyway, might as well have money coming in from it. But yeah, just think about it if you're going to do it.

Good luck to you all.
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; April 09, 2012 at 03:55 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, a lot of opinions and no resumes. I firstly want to apologize for taking so long to get back to the thread. I got very busy.

Here is the thing. I know people that do comics and art personally. They do professional level work for less than 200 dollars a "chapter" per say. The reason is because of stencils. All of that aside, the price is always negotiable and so are the terms. The reason I'm am not using one of the two people I know is because they don't do anime. They do western culture and there is a huge difference despite what people may want to believe.

On another point, this is profit free. Every expense will come out of my pocket. It will be placed on a website without any ads at all and it will use a proprietary coded format that can't be print screened or downloaded to other sites. I do expect people to eventually get it off the site BUT I want people to have to the opportunity to enjoy it without the security risks, bandwidth requirementes, etc,... of other sites. I am not stupid, I know they need it to make it run. I just happen to have the money to support the project without ads. It's not about being famous, making money, getting women, or being cool. I have been told more than enough in my life that I have amazing and creative ideas for movies and the like. In particular, every naruto fan (even the lesser ones) really like my story that takes place in the narutoverse. I need to get full permission from vizmedia to use the likeness of the universe without making money. My lawyer had told me that their is 0 risk as long as I don't make any money off the entire product at all. This would even mean if I used ads and only made up half of the costs. That would classify as an issue.

I am incredibly intelligent and a serious professional as far as my career is concerned and pretty much anything else I have a passion for. I know what it takes to be a professional and that is why I have some high expectations. I have other avenues to approach in order to get professionals. I would prefer to find someone that has professional grade work looking for a portfolio piece to break in. This post is for the everyday person that dreams of doing something like this and is really interested. I have professional organizations I can go to in order to find what I need. The issue is finding someone that can work alone or in a pair on the art as opposed to an organization that will have a ton of contracts and crazy crap to make money off of it. I want it to be FREE to everyone!

As far as plot, setting, etc,... is concerned. I have two full stories where the first one isn't complete (not even close on paper) and the second is completed. The first is in the past. It is about a washed up ninja in everyone elses eyes and will be based on overcoming bitterness at the fullest. I'll stop there. The second one (the one I will probably use) takes place in the future but not by far. Is about a 3 person team that goes through the hardest and most grueling series of events by sheer bad luck. I'll stop there. No matter what, there will be unique strategy, jits, drama, sacrificing love for something greater, etc,...

The ideal goal is to only reference very very small things in the universe BUT I feel as though it may be difficult not to have some references to....let us say the 6th hokage or something. It will be very generic. I've always had this strange thought that Sasuke may end up being the 6th hokage with blindfold over his eyes. But that is too out there in some ways and most likely by the time I would even intro that reference the Naruto Saga will have been completed. Anyway, appreciate everything thus far.

As far as payment is concerned. If the work is worth it, then I will spend 40$ hour. The issue for me is that before anyone even starts getting to the art, we need to have a meeting and do a drawing board like they do for cartoons and anime and such. Except it will have to be for the entire story. So there is money involved there as well. A major reason I would like someone on the east coast of US. I don't mind flying somewhere for some of the meetings but then salary and such will have to be negotiated differently. Either way, appreciate the feedback.

Arusia, the one piece of art I saw was really REALLY good. Keep up the good work. I am really looking for someone that has already drawn up 2 or 3 pages of manga from scratch or stencils.

Any and all resumes are welcome. I am not a negative person but I will be honest about the work.

In addition, I will definitely have more than enough people read and tell me what they think of the story. In addition, since the Narutoverse isn't something people are ignorant about the first chapter will not have to be 50 pages.
    Last edited by ekopalm; April 09, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

You do sound extremely serious about this, and I'm personally not doubting your intellect or planning skills.

I just don't understand the willingness to throw so much money around. I don't really see the need to get a flight and meet in person when art can so easily be shown digitally.

Also, if you're so confident in your own talents and seem to be quite into the whole "perfect mind, perfect body" ordeal, why not just learn to draw by yourself?

Can you please send me a private message with the basic details of the story? I just can't imagine what you would have so much confidence in, and if you do, why not something within your own universe?
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; April 09, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hrmm, stencils. Can't help you there. I've done free hand, with blue line work if you want to see that, but for more technical tools I went digital. Wacom pad and Manga studio EX 4. Anyway, best of luck to ye.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    You do sound extremely serious about this, and I'm personally not doubting your intellect or planning skills.

I just don't understand the willingness to throw so much money around. I don't really see the need to get a flight and meet in person when art can so easily be shown digitally.

Also, if you're so confident in your own talents and seem to be quite into the whole "perfect mind, perfect body" ordeal, why not just learn to draw by yourself?

Can you please send me a private message with the basic details of the story? I just can't imagine what you would have so much confidence in, and if you do, why not something within your own universe?

I'm not throwing money around. I am offering fair compensation for work performed. I earn a pretty darn good living for working my butt off. I want to spend my money on the things I want to spend it on. It's pretty simple really.

When working projects with a team you must have serious interactions physically to make sure a number of things are communicated correctly. That would be why i would fly.

The "draw" is used by amateurs. Professional artist and specifically manga/comic illustrators are on a whole other level. It would take years to get to the level I would need to in order to make sure I can do what I have in mind. It's not that i'm confident in my "talents" as much as I am confident in the fact I have accomplished a lot through hard work. The main story I am using is a story I have developed over 7 years. That isn't a joke. I read, if I recall, chapter 80 or 81 or something and started thinking of this story. As I've read more of Naruto I've thought of more. It's taken a long time to piece this one together so it isn't really "talent".

no i will not send you a PM with details. The reason you are confused is more than likely due to the lack of incentive on my part. What do I get? Literally, I don't want to be a writer, artist, famous, rich, etc,... I just really believe it's a very cool concept and story that people would enjoy. It isn't in my own universe because I don't want it to be. It's pretty simple for that one actually.

Appreciate the feedback.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by arusia View Post
    Hrmm, stencils. Can't help you there. I've done free hand, with blue line work if you want to see that, but for more technical tools I went digital. Wacom pad and Manga studio EX 4. Anyway, best of luck to ye.
    Great work. Still looking for something more Narutoish. But keep working on it. You can always do mime comics where you convey really short stories using just art. Keep building a portfolio. Every successful person I know, no matter the career, has or had a large portfolio. And once a year, revisit old work and try to enhance it. Keep it as a "progress made" to show potential employers.

The blue line is pretty darn cool though. Very Zelda ish to me which I always liked. The perfect mix of cartoony and dark fantasy.

Artists of MH 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Gintara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you might find someone over at deviantART who might be fit what you are looking for, so if you haven't tried there yet, just ask around. It might be a little difficult, but I'm sure you'll find someone eventually.

By the way, if you are planning to host the comic on a free site, then you might want to look into web server costs, etc. too (I'm sure you know that already ^_^). I don't think it would cost you that much if it's only hosting a comic, but I haven't tried it out before though.

Just like what arusia said, I think the costs of doing a comic digitally would be less than doing it traditionally since the artist would have to buy inks, paper, tones, pen nibs, etc. You should consider a digital artist if you can find someone willing to do a comic traditionally.

I would be interested in doing this, but unfortunately I have no more time for anything else. But if you are curious, here's some of my works. I'm no professional, though.

Good luck on your search anyway.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gintara View Post
    Well, you might find someone over at deviantART who might be fit what you are looking for, so if you haven't tried there yet, just ask around. It might be a little difficult, but I'm sure you'll find someone eventually.

By the way, if you are planning to host the comic on a free site, then you might want to look into web server costs, etc. too (I'm sure you know that already ^_^). I don't think it would cost you that much if it's only hosting a comic, but I haven't tried it out before though.

Just like what arusia said, I think the costs of doing a comic digitally would be less than doing it traditionally since the artist would have to buy inks, paper, tones, pen nibs, etc. You should consider a digital artist if you can find someone willing to do a comic traditionally.

I would be interested in doing this, but unfortunately I have no more time for anything else. But if you are curious, here's some of my works. I'm no professional, though.

Good luck on your search anyway.
    Wow, you do great work.

Of course I have considered Deviant Art but the issue is international and I would prefer to spend american dollars in america for not particular reason other than to support our countries economy.

Of course I have already calculated costs for server, security, etc,...

Thank you for the feedback and good luck to you as well. You have great work to be truthful. I would like to see an original piece of work with a lot more going on to be honest to see how you blance everything.

Also, note that digital artists use "stencils" in their own way as well. They, should, be using pre-canned pictures. For example, every character should have a front, back, left side, and right side render so only small adjustments need to be made to make the picture work. People don't draw every picture from scratch every time.

Thanks for all of your replies but I can already tell that I will probably need to approach an organization to find what I am looking for.

Again, Gintara, your work is very good. I will still check here daily to see what replies I get. I will probably start a thread somewhere piecing some work together just for the purpose of entertaining people.

I am still debating whether I want a 200 page graphic novel type situation or chapter by chapter basis. Or finish the entire novel and release it in a chapter format.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Not that I should be displaying this guys work all over the place, but I really like his work! So this is someone I contacted and will see what he returns with. Given his experience level and quality I am sure he will understand the logistics. In addition, I have contacted legal/licensing of Viz Media and am awaiting a reply.

http://www.polykarbon.com/

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner HanaKuragari's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is still available, I would love to talk more about this manga with you.

this is my most current anime/manga style site: http://www.mangabullet.com/HanaKuragari/gallery

if you need more reference, I would be happy to send more examples.

also, you can contact me via e-mail:

delilahbuckle@yahoo.com or sessholover12@yahoo.com

New Reply