Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What determines how a DF is formed or dissappears?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Page356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What determines how a DF is formed or dissappears?

I know this is an awkwardly phrased question, so I think I should explain. I am under the impression that only one copy of a DF appears at a time, when it get eaten then it's ability is transferred to whomever or whatever consumed it until they die. Then of course I've always assumeed another one appears wherever these things come from.

Soooo....my question is how does BB's DF ability work? Whitebeard was dead right? That wasn't just me? Did his DF power need time to go away or something or could BB have taken it at any point after he died? Since BB took the power, does that keep another fruit from appearing? What about Ace's fruit? There should be another one of those right? Why didn't BB want his since he was dead, or was he just unsure how one extra fruit would affect him as it was? But shouldn't he have known anyway if he already knows all about the fruit and what it does by searching the catalog he found?

The catch is Brooks DF, but his actually has his death as a specific condition of the ability. Now to really muddle things up let's take Kizaru, his ability has been copied many times, does that mean that if he dies another DF would appear at all or would all the copies have to be destroyed first?

Final two questions: What happens if a DF comes into contact with sea water or what if a user dies under water? Would that affect how the "devil" inside of the user makes its way back to its source to be reformed?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member UnknownMugiwara's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What determines how a DF is formed or dissappears?

Since the human body isn't always dead just because the heart or the brain stops, the DF should be still be in the body, if you know what I mean, 'till the whole body is dead (including muscles and such). I guess that's why BB was able to take WB's power.

About Kizaru, I belive you talk about the pacifista's? Since it's not like with the BB-WB that someone took his powers, but instead human created power, it shouldn't affect how the DF work. Anyway that's how I got it (;

Another interesting question is how Vagapunk transfers the DF power to non living objects?
    Brook wanted: DEAD OR ALIVE!
    Yohohohohohohoho! Marine Joke!

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to answer many of your questions with facts since many of the things you've asked remains largely unknown as of right now.

Yes, Whitebeard was dead. The only facts we have about the Yami Yami no Mi is that it has the unique property of gravity, nullifying the powers of other Devil Fruits (upon physical contact) and lastly as we've all seen the unknown method of extracting a Devil Fruit from a dead person. Whether he can do this when they're alive hasn't been mentioned. We don't know if he has to "absorb" a Devil Fruit within a specific timeframe or whenever he pleases after their death. As for BB not wanting Ace's fruit is probably quite simple; it's not as powerful as the Yami Yami no Mi or the Gura Gura no Mi and we don't know if he can hold more than two fruits at a time or how it would affect him if he did possess more than two.
    We also don't know the timeframe for how long it takes for a Devil Fruit to reappear once the user has passed away.

Kizaru's power as you mentioned has only been copied, not stolen from him. There's not enough facts to determine whether the Pika Pika no Mi would eventually reappear after his death, although I believe this is highly likely. It's possible that upon his death the Pacifistas will lose their beam powers, but we don't know if they have some other internal source powering this either.

That's about all I can say at the time since there's still too many things we don't know.
    Last edited by Shinobuden; March 23, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Well originally, the story people told in the manga was that it was a devil living inside the fruit. And if you eat the fruit, the devil goes into you, and makes you unable to swim. I doubt they're really devils, but they might be spirits of the ancients or something.

Blackbeard can suck up anything with his power, so he can suck them up, too? And if a spirit can be in a fruit, you can put it into something else, like a gun or sword.

So I'm guessing maybe it's somehow the spirits of powerful people from before the world was covered with water. And some person or group flooded the world to defeat them. Maybe it was to deal with the person who had Blackbeard's power at the time? Dunno, this is probably a question that will be answered near the end of the series.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

The Yami Yami no Mi may be, or to be more precise, should be the reason that allowed BB to get the Gura Gura no Mi, and about his body being able to withstand eating 2 fruits, that's another story.

Yes, BB talked about how the Yami Yami no Mi being able to nullify other DF's abilities upon contact and how it sucked everything, but I always suspected that it isn't the main reason behind his obsession with this fruit...

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would lean towards there being a little time after the user dies until the fruit power completely disappears from the body.

I don't think kizaru's actual DF powers have been copied though. Rather I would think his powers were investigated in order to replicate them. In this sense, the pacifista are not using kizaryu's actual DF powers, they merely use advanced technology to artificially replicate it.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't think kizaru's actual DF powers have been copied though. Rather I would think his powers were investigated in order to replicate them. In this sense, the pacifista are not using kizaryu's actual DF powers, they merely use advanced technology to artificially replicate it.
    This actually makes a lot more sense than the theory of his powers having been copied. Franky's been shown to use laser beams (chapter 657) and his interactions with Kizaru is limited to Sabaody, if that even counts as an interaction. I didn't think of this.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? To me the idea that the pacifista were using actual DF powers (well, kizaru's at least) was completely weird when I first read it here lol. Vegapunk replicating the lazer through technology made far more sense to me considering who vegapunk is supposed to be lol.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Really? To me the idea that the pacifista were using actual DF powers (well, kizaru's at least) was completely weird when I first read it here lol. Vegapunk replicating the lazer through technology made far more sense to me considering who vegapunk is supposed to be lol.
    I guess I was just so hung up on the possibility his abilities were copied the thought of Vegapunk having replicated Kizaru's powers didn't cross my mind until you brought it up. It makes a lot more sense than his powers having been copied or "stolen" as I originally thought. This might make me look like a fool for not considering it but that's fine with me, I'm just happy someone came up with a more reasonable theory.
    Last edited by Shinobuden; April 04, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Page356 View Post
    Soooo....my question is how does BB's DF ability work? Whitebeard was dead right? That wasn't just me? Did his DF power need time to go away or something or could BB have taken it at any point after he died? Since BB took the power, does that keep another fruit from appearing? What about Ace's fruit? There should be another one of those right? Why didn't BB want his since he was dead, or was he just unsure how one extra fruit would affect him as it was? But shouldn't he have known anyway if he already knows all about the fruit and what it does by searching the catalog he found?
    I've always imagined this to work pretty simple: Bury the corpse, and after some time the DF plant grows. Therefore, someone can take the ability from the corpse. I guess once he's about to explain this, Oda will come up with some joke like this.

I hope Oda comes up in this arc with the DF abilities being connected to a person's "soul heart" so once he would make Law switch Robin and Luffy, we'd have a Rubber-Robin and Flower-Luffy... Just a personal wish, though.

The catch is Brooks DF, but his actually has his death as a specific condition of the ability. Now to really muddle things up let's take Kizaru, his ability has been copied many times, does that mean that if he dies another DF would appear at all or would all the copies have to be destroyed first?
    Well. Only the Laser Beams have been copied. But I think they weren't transferred like the zoan fruits to Rasshu and Funkfried but rebuild by technichal devices. Otherwise Franky wouldn't be able to fire his Radical Beam.

Final two questions: What happens if a DF comes into contact with sea water or what if a user dies under water? Would that affect how the "devil" inside of the user makes its way back to its source to be reformed?
    I don't think we should think about that. Until now, no character actually died of drowning. All of them escaped their wet grave somehow, so Oda has certainly wanted to avoid this scenario so far.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it said that Vegapunk created devil fruit?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^I don't think that was ever said lol. If I recall all that was ever said about vegapunk is that he found out how DFs work and transfer abilities to the eater and how to give abilities to objects.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Odd. Could be the wrong translation or I could be remembering wrong. I do know that Vegapunk had something to do with the devil fruits. Maybe as you said.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

the odd thing about blackbeard is not only his power of stealing other's people devil fruit ability but also that he can support 2 (maybe more) devil abilities on the same body.
    I heard somewhere that he is able to have 2 devil fruits is because of Will of the D, but idk if that was actually stated on the manga.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Odd. Could be the wrong translation or I could be remembering wrong. I do know that Vegapunk had something to do with the devil fruits. Maybe as you said.
    i think you remembered 'vegapunk is the leading expert on devil fruits'

he's able to infuse zoan df powers into inanimate objects and spot replicate df powers on other beings

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast