Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: Which would you rather be?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Snake

2 9.52%
  • A Dragon

15 71.43%
  • A Toad

1 4.76%
  • A Fox

3 14.29%
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612's Review of Naruto 579 The Brothers Fight United

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612's Review of Naruto 579 The Brothers Fight United

Welcome all to my Naruto 579 review. Before we get to the chapter, let's go over last week's poll results. I asked you how satisfied you'd be if Naruto ended after these three climatic fights. Some of you were disappointed with the direction of the Fourth Shinobi World War mega-arc. Some are waiting to see how these fights play out to pass judgement on the series. The majority of you, though, just don't want the series to come to an end. I kind of feel the same way. A year go I wouldn't have thought the series was wrapping up. There were so many plates spinning and plot threads left to lay that an end seemed so far away. Now the end of the manga seems inevitable. Even the Uchiha brothers, the sometimes antagonists, are given a chance to redeem themselves against a newcomer who's usurped Orochimaru's status as one of the chief villains of the manga. Which brings us to...

Naruto 579 The Brothers Fight United
    The images in this review are credited to Dragon&Fly Scans.

The Brothers Fight United wastes no time in getting to the action. Kabuto pulls his hood over his eyes to prevent the brother's genjutsu in a smart opening move. With his vision limited, Kabuto relies on his snakes to sense the brothers presence and, as Sasuke explains, snakes can rely on temperature and smell to sense living things. Sasuke had done plenty of research on snakes in order to beat Orochimaru, but Kabuto tells him that such information is useless against him. As the brothers are wondering what could give Kabuto cause for such confidence, Kabuto launches into an attack sending snakes toward Sasuke and Itachi.

Both brothers activate Susanoo which affords them ample protection against Kabuto's physical attacks. Itachi warns Sasuke once more not to kill Kabuto but Sasuke rushes in anyway, believing Orochimaru's regenerative ability will prevent Kabuto from dying. But the Kabuto he assaults turns out to be a decoy filled with snakes. As Kabuto bides time, Sasuke taunts his adversary by telling him he's Orochimaru's leftovers. Kabuto counters that although his bounty isn't nearly as high, he is in possession of formidable jutsu. The same allies that Sasuke wisely chose for Team Hebi provided valuable genetic material for Kabuto. He possesses an altered version of Suigetsu's liquid transformation ability so that he no longer needs to use Orochimaru's skin shedding technique. From Karin who is of Uzumaki clan, he increased his regenerative abilities. It also means that were he to successfully acquire a Sharingan, with the knowledge and know-how he's already displayed, Kabuto could unlock the Rinnegan.

But the most valuable bloodline limit Kabuto acquired was the one from Juugo. An ability not gained through a cursed seal, but through careful research carried about by Orochimaru and completed by Kabuto. That research led Kabuto to the famed Dragon Cave where he trained under the sage of snakes. Before Kabuto can finish laying out his credentials, Sasuke's Susanoo fires an arrow. Kabuto, though, dodges that attack. No longer a second tiered villain, Kabuto has surpassed Orochimaru in more than just mastery of Edo Tensei. Juugo's bloodline-limit is an ability that allows the user to absorb natural energy. That is why Juugo and others from his clan so often went berserk. Juugo's clan trace that ability back to the Dragon Cave, but mastery of the original jutsu requires a special kind of body. Orochimaru was forever in search of such a body. But where the master failed, the student prevailed. Kabuto possesses the right body and is now a master of the most evil sage mode, the dragon sage arts!

This chapter was another solid artistic outing. Naruto appeared on both the cover of Jump and in a brightly colored chapter cover page featuring Kurama lazily napping in the middle of Konoha. The action was well executed. But the standout this chapter was Kabuto's sage-mode design. In this new mode, he appears more sinister than grotesque and comes off as somebody you don't want to tangle with.

Wow! This was a great chapter. With one of the most exciting cliffhangers in a few chapters, Kishimoto has revealed the depth of Kabuto's ambition and demonstrated that he was suitably prepared to face Tobi or any Sharingan user. He's ready to block genjutsu and he has sage mode on top of whatever techniques he learned under Orochimaru. Will his sensing power protect him from genjutsu? Is his sage mode exactly like Naruto's? If not, what difference is there? The possibilies are exciting. With sage mode, Naruto was able to hold his own against the Six Paths of Pain, so I think this development successfully gives the fight some weight.

A near perfect chapter that moves the plot forward and reveals the end game, I would have given Naruto 579 a 6 out of 5 if only there were more action. But as it is, it's still worthy of a ...

5 out of 5.

Predictions

Well, this fights getting started so we won't know for a while how my predictions from last week pan out.

Next chapter, I expect we'll learn what makes Dragon Sage jutsu so formidable. There will probably be a battle of fire style jutsus since that's a technique both Itachi and Sasuke are good at and dragon style jutsu just screams fire-style jutsu. What makes that technique differnt from Naruto's? I'm going to guess it's less balanced. Rather than using natural energy to enhance one's physical abilities, I think Kabuto's might be more aggressive. So I expect he'll have stronger chakra now which he'll need to keep up with the Uchiha.

That's it for the review. See you after next week, allied shinobi...

Stray Observations
    • "You've learned a lot...Dr. Snakes" And thus a new manga was born. Snake Doctor! Coming soon.
    • "You can't be that shy."
    • "In the world of ninjas, if one doesn't have any talent, even his existence will be totally denied. Just go take it from others and make it yours."

One Line Reviews
    • The latest chapter of Bleach finally earns some investment in the new arc as we learn how quickly the assault on SS happened, First Division's vice-captain died, and that Hueco Mundo's arrancar are making a return.
    • One Piece continues to pick up steam as Trafalgar Law gets serious about not letting anyone leave the island and Brooke showcases some of his cool skills.
    • Air Gear closes its current arc stronger than it started because it trades in vague, generalized platitudes for simple emotion.
    • Billy Bat delivered a suspenseful and funny chapter in which we meet Zofuu-sensei's sensei..
    • The best of the lot this week, Tower of God dispenses with complexity with a straight-forward punching machine test in which a successive wave of regulars one-up each other's scores and the mystery of Baam continues to unfold.

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612's Review of Naruto 579 The Brothers Fight United

nice review, as usual Homie.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you Black,I haven't read it yet,cause I haven't got much time now. anyway it's short,so it will be easy and more pleasant to read

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mosesgunn's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Great chapter! Wow I don't know how I could have missed the use of the snakes as an effective counter to Itachi and Sasuke's genjutsu. However, Sasuke has proven before the ability to use his genjutsu to strategically lull his opponents into a false sense of security and I don't expect anything different here...other than who will do the lulling (Itachi or Sasuke)? I'm also interested in what people think Kabuto's 'weak spot' is when it comes to his dragon sage mode. He uses snakes but depends on them too much perhaps? If this was Naruto he might have transformed into one or more of those snakes to gain a sneak attack advantage.

The interesting dynamic remains that Itachi's gain is really one-sided...to eliminate the edo-tensei so he can go all out which why it would make sense to draw this arc in such a way that you can't just kill Kabuto to meet your ends. Has anyone else noticed that the process of defeating Kabuto is exactly how the Akatsuki would go about capturing a Jinchuriki? Where are the zombie twins when you need them?

Great action and artwork...totally deserving of a 5/5. Review nicely done as always.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it all. great! if I were you,though, I'd add some infos about the 3rd place mentioned by kabuto,that is Shikkotsurin . Also,to quote One Piece( ) ,I'd have talked about villains' bounties, Orochimaru > Sasuke > kabuto

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply