Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Akainu's Magma DF can't damage if He Uses Haki!

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akainu's Magma DF can't damage if He Uses Haki!

Ace could use king haki when he was just a child,although he couldn't control it. according to what he said when he saw rufy using it,he was able to use haki,and it would have been a waste not to protect rufy with haki. hence I think both ace and akainu used it,yet ace's haki wasn't strong enough to compete to akainu's,as tashigi's one wasn't to bear Law's power.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be completely honest the death of ace by magma has always been exceptionally weird to me. We have seen a number of times how DFs work and their interaction. In particular, one of the most interesting parts of the interaction is how they can cancel or counter each other to almost extreme degrees. Luffy's immunity to lightning, mr 3's capacity to defend from poison and a few other things have almost gone as far as setting the tone for entire arcs and have proven to be defining to say the least. However no matter how I look at it, the explanation about why akainu was able to burn ace is kinda lacking specially considering oda does tend to be rather consistent in those details. Ultimately the explanation given by akainu as to why he was able to burn ace does not exactly make sense to say the least. Why would something hotter be able to burn fire? How is more heat going to affect fire in such a way that it can burn it? If anything, it would make more sense for ace to be able to take in the heat of akainu's magma and add the extra temperature to his own fire IMO. Its not like magma can put out fire in the context we saw it either. There are a number of ways akainu could have conceivably extinguished ace's flame through the use of his very solid magma and then burn him (for example a large enough amount of magma would do the trick as it would burn a decent bit of air around).

Now, when I first saw the manga my first thought was that haki was indeed the reason for this. Haki does not cancel devil fruit abilities in the same way as BB's devil fruit or sea stone however it does allow normal physical contact with the actual body of logia or paramecia users. In this regard, people hit by haki would remain as their particular element. Now, if akainu used haki it would allow for physical contact with ace's body and also burn him with magma since the magma is indeed at a higher temperature than what his fire is.

Now, in writing this thread I actually came up with another interesting idea which would pretty much fit what we saw. As we know, fire needs some fuel or whatnot to burn. Normally we see stuff using oxygen to burn. I think it is a fairly reasonable assumption that under the scenario that ace runs out of oxygen his fire would run out and he would be forced solid. Of course, under that line of thought anything that deprives ace of oxygen would at large force him solid. How about if this was the reason for which akainu was able to burn ace? Magma is under manga rules hotter than fire. This would mean that when akainu punched ace he was at the same time burning the very air ace needed to remain as fire thus it forced him solid thus burning him. It would pretty much fit the idea that he was able to burn ace because he was hotter to some degree right?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't really need scientific explanations for this one. Akainu's magma punch injured Ace because Ace was trying to protect Luffy. He tried to stop the punch using his DF. He used his body as a fire wall to stop Akainu's attack but as Akainu mentioned, his magma is superior to Ace's fire. If Ace wasn't protecting anyone, Akainu's punch would've just passed through Ace's flaming body.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

As to Akainus punch through Ace, I think he used haki. I believe once u mastered haki u will use it regardless. Its in your fighting style, which you acquired through hard training. As such you will do it per instinct.

Even in real life the same concept applies, I mean if you do a certain routine day by day, you will automatically master it. Starting at some point you will do that routine mindlessly. Be it driving, swimming or whatever.

Though not his strongest attack, Akainu put everything into his fist, logically haki included. I don't see a reason for him going holding back at anything, he wanted to take his life for sure. It was a battlefield. That's at least my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtors View Post
    [....] Cause haki acts as a shield!
    CoA has obviously at least two uses. Creating a force field/shield is one of them. The other being imbuing weapon. That weapon can also be ur own body part. Rayleighs kick on Kiz, Garps punch on Marco, Marguerites arrows.. etc

Furthermore in my understanding u can only create a force field to defend and send back the attack, if the opponent has a lot a weaker haki as urself or no haki at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    [....] Ultimately the explanation given by akainu as to why he was able to burn ace does not exactly make sense to say the least. Why would something hotter be able to burn fire? How is more heat going to affect fire in such a way that it can burn it? [...]
    I was also confused at first. But after reading cnets translation (573), my doubts disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnet 573
    Akainu: Are you allowing your Logia nature to make you a little too overconfident? / You are mere "fire"... whilst I am "magma", with the power to consume even fire itself!! // My ability is a natural enemy of your own, boy!!!
    In my understanding magma consumes fire. Magma is melted rock, a solid form of dense heat. While fire is gaseous, without any solid form. As such magma sucks in (consumes) fire and makes it part of itself. Hence fire dissolves and becomes part of magma.

That's at least my understanding after reading cnets version of Akainus lines. I don't know if its physically correct or anything, and tbh I don't care. After all Oda was never rly about physics. Anyway, It makes much more sense now in my head with a graphical scenario lol.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, strictly speaking fire is not gas at all. Fire is pretty much something on its own. Fire can be generated from gas but in itself it is not gas. Even with that explanation my little theory fits though. Akainu gives of heat of his own and does not need anything to burn. Ace needs air to burn thus akainu burning the air faster than what ace did would result in him hurting ace.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in school as I was about 15, so basically 10 years ago I learned of three different forms to describe a element (object of any kind). 1. liquid 2. gaseous and 3. solid. Im not sure whether "gaseous" is the correct English term, here in Germany I learned it as "gasförmig". Via dictionary it translates to "gaseous" xD. feel free to correct me if Im wrong. Im not trying to be physically here, as Im faraway from being an expert.

Anyway, I wasn't saying fire is gas, but that fire is of no solid form. As of ur theory, if you are saying magma burns oxygen faster than fire, Im not disagreeing. As it still fits Akainus line of superior element.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

guys, fire IS gas.

fire is GLOWING gas. it can be anything, from nitrogen to carbon dioxide to oxygen, as long as it's heated above a certain temperature it glows. then as it rises up in convection, it loses that heat, and eventually stops glowing. that's why fire flickers.

meanwhile, new gas particles are pulled in from the bottom and side and they get heated up by the reaction too. they go through the same process of glowing, rising, unglowing.

also, (if you're burning something, and that releases gases) the gases produced in the exothermic reaction are hot too, and they go through the same convection, heat loss, stopping glowing

fire IS gas.

fire doesn't have to mean combustion, but i think oda thought it was that.

if you have a hot enough metal rod smothered in an inert atmosphere, even if no combustion is taking place, if the metal can heat the gas to glowing levels, it can be on 'fire', even without any oxygen

fire is glowing gas indicative of combustion, not combustion itself.
    Last edited by hyper_megaman; June 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    guys, fire IS gas.

fire is GLOWING gas. it can be anything, from nitrogen to carbon dioxide to oxygen, as long as it's heated above a certain temperature it glows. then as it rises up in convection, it loses that heat, and eventually stops glowing. that's why fire flickers.

meanwhile, new gas particles are pulled in from the bottom and side and they get heated up by the reaction too. they go through the same process of glowing, rising, unglowing.

also, (if you're burning something, and that releases gases) the gases produced in the exothermic reaction are hot too, and they go through the same convection, heat loss, stopping glowing

fire IS gas.

if you have a hot enough metal rod smothered in an inert atmosphere, even if no combustion is taking place, if the metal can heat the gas to glowing levels, it can be on 'fire', even without any oxygen

It is actually not gas. Fire is a process of a phenomenological chemical reaction that yields energy. Gas is a medium that can produce gas, but the two are not inversely proportional. aka; it is not a basic form.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerKisame View Post
    It is actually not gas. Fire is a process of a phenomenological chemical reaction that yields energy. Gas is a medium that can produce gas, but the two are not inversely proportional. aka; it is not a basic form.
    the combusting material itself, in a gaseous state rising up as it completes the combustion/oxidation process, is one of the ways a flame can be seen

in our environment, that could be one of the most common ways a flame is presented, actually. it's responsible for extremely tall/long flames at much lower temperatures (lighters, etc)

i pointed that out in:
    Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    guys, fire IS gas.

fire IS gas.

if you heat a ceramic plate to say 2000 degrees and wave it around in inert nitrogen gas, there wont' be combustion as there is no oxygen and no oxidant available, but flames will still be visible as you wave it through that inert gas as the ceramic plate heats up the nitrogen.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This whole debate is ridiculous. Fire can not be burned anymore than water can get wet. Lava is not fire. It's molten rock, superheated by internal pressure in the mantle, rising up through cracks in the surface caused by plate tectonics. Lava is so hot that it can burn or start a fire on contact with combustible material (a tree, grass, people), but it is in no way physically related to fire. Oda was trying to establish Akainu's devil fruit power as stronger than Ace's, and made a rather silly gaff in the process. He is a magaka, not a geologist or physicist, forgive him.

Any debate about how lava can burn fire is closed. It is impossible by definition. If you disagree, go do research. Wikipedia should tell you all you need to know. Dissenting opinions do not count when they contradict reality and high school science. Thread closed.
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2