Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: The aura Raizel noticed belongs to....

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 12th Elder

4 50.00%
  • Cerberus' Captain

2 25.00%
  • Cerberus' Captain's weapon

2 25.00%
  • Regis

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 229 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 229 Review

*sigh* Looks like Sangeen and Yontsu really are married. Now some people might think this means the Yontsu/M-21 ship is sunk. To this I say "HA, torrid extramarital affairs FTW!"

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Plus, I got my second wind when I noticed my wife oogling a piece of Wolf-mancandy.

This week starts out with Yontsu standing over a fallen Ked and M-21, admiring M-21's strength and speed while being more than a little curious as to his origins. Sadly, her peaceful contemplation is quickly interrupted when Rodin appears. After a scolding Ked a bit for losing like this, he tries to get some answers from Yontsu about her power and why she is attempted to help the M-21 and the rest. She says nothing. So Rodin decides just to get on with it.

As the fight begins it's immediately apparent to her the difference between an exhausted Ked and fresh Rodin. She manages to dodge a few blows but is quickly overwhelmed but just as she is about to take a direct hit Sangeen arrives to "protect his wife". They try fighting Rodin together but ultimately they just aren't strong enough. Sangeen takes a direct full force hit from Rodin's weapon and is sent slamming through the wall of a building in the background (hopefully a pillow factory). As Yontsu is distracted by this, Rodin lands a solid hit on her too.

Rodin doesn't get much of a break though as Regis pulls himself free of a building behind them and jumps back into the fray. Realizing that he doesn't have much strength left, Regis decides to bet it all on the next strike. He uses his mind control abilities to create and opening and throws everything he's got behind it. Unfortunately, Rodin manages to block it; resulting in only minor damage.

As he moves to finish Regis off he is interrupted by the appearance of the 12th Elder and short woman wielding a scythe who is apparently the Captain of Cerberus. Both express disappointment in Cerberus' performance, that they allowed themselves to be reduced to such a state.

In the distance, as Frankenstein and Raizel continue to close in on the battlefield, Raizel detects a familiar aura.....

Chapter Review

Sangeen is not having a good day.

Substance

The situation has gone from bad to worse for Raizel's friends. Regis, M-21, Yontsu, and Sangeen are all out of action. Tao and Takeo are on the way but are too exhausted to do much of anything; besides maybe try and get the wounded clear. Seira's whereabouts remain unknown, which means it could very well be Frankenstein and Raziel against everybody.

With Rodin still relatively unharmed plus the 12th Elder and his Cerberus Captain all present and combat ready, there is very little chance that Frankenstein can keep his master out of the fight.

The "familiar aura" Raizel felt just underscores that because if it's an aura he felt before it almost has to tie back to the nobles. Possibly even the traitorous nobles.

The only other thing that needs mentioning is that I'm willing to grant that Sangeen and Yontsu are married now. Sangeen acknowledging it is proof enough for me. Assuming their both still alive, of course. They both got took bad hits. Sangeens probably took the the stronger of the two attacks but at least he got his hands up to try and block it, Yontsu just got completely blindsided.

Presentation

Great character art as usual. I also liked how the background got worked into things; like Sangeen getting planted in a skyscraper and Regis digging his way out of one in panels that were centered on other characters. There were also a ton of great small touches this week, like the hint of motion blur to express the vibration when Sangeen slammed into the skyscraper or the lighting when Regis was doing his "hypnotic red thunder fist" thing.

Pacing was pretty standard fight pacing, not really much to say about it good or bad.

Also, I really have to say is that I think that Cerberus Captain's character design looks very much like an anime version of Helena Bonham Carter. Which is certainly...unexpected.

Final Rating

This was a really good chapter but I don't feel like it quite deserves a 5. So I'm going to dock 1 point for how pathetic the 12th Elders attempt at a Fu Manchu mustache is. Grow it out or shave it off man, because you are most definitely not rockin' that stache.

So I give this chapter a 4 out of 5

My Prediction
    • The aura Raizel recognized is coming from the 12th Elder somehow.

My Previous Predictions(Current Record 11-13)

Yontsu and Sangeen are not really married.
    Incorrect, they are apparently married. Though I maintain their relationship is a little weird...

Spoiler: Ongoing show

Thread Question of the Week
    Whose aura did Raizel recognize and what does it mean?
    Last edited by Jammin; March 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 229 Review

Quote Quote:
    *sigh* Looks like Sangeen and Yontsu really are married. Now some people might think this means the Yontsu/M-21 ship is sunk. To this I say "HA, torrid extramarital affairs FTW!"
    Let's not Lose our Heads,Women cheating on their Husbands are common Occurence Nowadays!!

Quote Quote:
    Sangeen takes a direct full force hit from Rodin's weapon and is sent slamming through the wall of a building in the background (hopefully a pillow factory).
    This was one weird way of visiting a Skyscraper,An Sangeen from the KSA does'nt bother himself with Elevators...Maybe next time he may want to visit the Empire State Building ? LoL
    On a serious note does anyone else besides me thinks that this was the "coup final" for An Sangeen ? Given the fact that he was already considerably beaten by Ked in the first place.

Quote Quote:
    The "familiar aura" Raizel felt just underscores that because if it's an aura he felt before it almost has to tie back to the nobles. Possibly even the traitorous nobles.
    Agreed.Not every Noble Being Follow the Path of Nobility( Rael)though the thing is,every noble we've encountered so far possess Red coloured eyes,Captain Gothica has dark ones....Wait&See
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    This was one weird way of visiting a Skyscraper,An Sangeen from the KSA does'nt bother himself with Elevators...Maybe next time he may want to visit the Empire State Building ? LoL
    On a serious note does anyone else besides me thinks that this was the "coup final" for An Sangeen ? Given the fact that he was already considerably beaten by Ked in the first place.
    It's hard to say. He has to be hurt real badly, given that he was on his last legs even before he took a trident to the chest; especially considering that superhuman toughness was never really his specialty (like M-21 or Regis). It would be totally believable to me if he turned out to die from that. Although, considering that we didn't see any blood when he get speared, it seems more likely to me that he's the kind of hurt that lands him in a bodycast rather than a coffin.

Yontsu is almost as concerning though. While she may have been in top form at the time, it looked like she took a trident shot to the back of the head. Superhuman toughness or not, that is not good.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    My Prediction
    • The aura Raizel recognized is coming from the 12th Elder somehow.
    In the main thread, I posted an crazy theory that it was the 12th Elder as well, but that he was actually one of Frankie's experiments from 800 years ago so both Rai and Frankie remember him... and the 12th elder may not want to remember Frankie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    NOOOOOOooooo!!!!! I still say that it is their marriage is just a cover-story and they bring it up a lot so it is automatic! [/denial]

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    Yontsu is almost as concerning though. While she may have been in top form at the time, it looked like she took a trident shot to the back of the head. Superhuman toughness or not, that is not good.
    But! When she wakes up she can be told that she is actually married to M-21. Hmmmm... I wonder what their family name will be.... Mrs 21?

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    In the main thread, I posted an crazy theory that it was the 12th Elder as well, but that he was actually one of Frankie's experiments from 800 years ago so both Rai and Frankie remember him... and the 12th elder may not want to remember Frankie.
    I suppose that is a possibility.

Though I consider Frankenstein as the kind of guy who doesn't like leaving loose ends like that.... I think a more likely variant of that idea would be that the 12th elder could be using some of Frankies research that the union somehow got their hands on.

NOOOOOOooooo!!!!! I still say that it is their marriage is just a cover-story and they bring it up a lot so it is automatic! [/denial]
    Haha, the only way Sangeen would bring that up like he did there, if they weren't married, would be as some kind of inside joke. Teasing her about the cover identiy but, sadly , that didn't really seem like that kind of situation to me.

But! When she wakes up she can be told that she is actually married to M-21. Hmmmm... I wonder what their family name will be.... Mrs 21?
    I like that. She could be Mrs. 21 and he could be Mr. 21

On the subject of what would be neat to see with her, I think the best (and Phio_chan is going to hate me for this) would be if Sangeen died and it left her with a kind of widow/warrior thing; with a debt to Raizel and grudge against the Union. As things stand Tao and Takeo have a good partner thing going but M-21 is a bit more of a lone wolf. If Yontsu could get a little power-up she could be great stepping into the role of M-21's partner, throw in a dash of sexual tension complicated by her loyalty to her dead husband and you've got yourself a recipe for "Pure win".

That combination could make both of those characters really great for a really long time.
    Last edited by Jammin; March 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Some truely shameful spelling mistakes

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply