Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joint Review of Fairy Tail 275: The Drunk Falcon

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Joint Review of Fairy Tail 275: The Drunk Falcon

So, this brings us to our second FT JR as a group, and supposedly third overall.

Welcome all to another week. Jyten joins us as our new member.

Intro:
    - Main review part -
    Analysis:
    Impressions:
    ----------------------------
    Predictions:
    Credits:
    Last edited by benelori; March 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joint Review of Fairy Tail 275: The Drunk Falcon

Welcome Jyten!!\o/....

Again, you can just tell me what do, and I will do it, and will possibly come with some ideas in the process....but if this time there will be enough folks, then I will gladly step aside...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Jyten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sup, o/!

Frosty is being ambiguous with what he needs/wants me to analyze so what's up? If I do, do any analysis it'll probably come tomorrow. I like at least one day for the manga just to be awesome. That way I can critic things after the honeymoon phase.
    Dang, starting to get too old for manga and anime....

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Jyten, we're not exactly on a time schedule here. Well, we are, but as long as it comes out within a few days of the chapter release, it's fine. Not everyone's always going to be available on the Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday when we actually get the chapter, so...

How exactly was I ambiguous about stuff?

I thought this was fairly clear: I just wanted you to post, so that you'll be subscribed to the thread. Tell us something, like that you want to be called Jyten, I don't know. Do you have any specific thoughts on something? We do reviews in three sections on MH: analysis, impressions, predictions.

No, we all participate and change sections each week. For example, for 274, I did the impressions, but for 275, I'll do the predictions or something.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Welcome Jyten!!\o/....

Again, you can just tell me what do, and I will do it, and will possibly come with some ideas in the process....but if this time there will be enough folks, then I will gladly step aside...
    I'm open to all ideas. The idea of one person being in control of the review isn't exactly how I like it. I'd prefer for things to work out as we go along.

Um, well, I've only managed to get Jyten, and that's because we were waterboarding him...I couldn't get Darj or anyone else to participate, so if you wouldn't mind, we'd love for you to stay with us, Bene.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I'm open to all ideas. The idea of one person being in control of the review isn't exactly how I like it. I'd prefer for things to work out as we go along.
    Same here
    Quote Quote:
    Um, well, I've only managed to get Jyten, and that's because we were waterboarding him...I couldn't get Darj or anyone else to participate, so if you wouldn't mind, we'd love for you to stay with us, Bene.
    Awesome \o/

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jyten View Post
    Sup, o/!

Frosty is being ambiguous with what he needs/wants me to analyze so what's up? If I do, do any analysis it'll probably come tomorrow. I like at least one day for the manga just to be awesome. That way I can critic things after the honeymoon phase.
    Well first all the people who want to contribute need to gather here...for now we are 3...k-dom also had a part last week...so he might show up as well...

I suggest couple of small additions to what we did last week...

First...there's no distinction between analysis and impressions...based on the content of the last review, k-dom did more of an impression thing and Frosty did more analysis...so we definitely have to make it clear what analysis means and what impressions mean...in my opinion analysis is a detached point of view that doesn't offer opinions...and impression is the more subjective part...
    For example in this chapter...an analysis would be that The first part of the chapter reiterated the theme of friendship and unity in FT, and all the FT cast remains true to their characters....impression would be something like In the context of current events that party was totally useless, because it took away screentime from other important sub-plots, like the arranged nature of the entire event, the mystery surounding Charle, etc......
    Impressions would be an opinion based on the facts presented in the analysis part...

Second...we need a poll, and we need to start asking questions from the readers, to establish a dialogue...I think that is important...for example leave ambiguous predictions to the readers to decide, or sometimes leave out a personal interpretation of the events to get the reader to fill in

3rd....read the posts and critique that focuses on the review itself and correct some of these things the readers are pointing out...
    Last edited by benelori; March 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

On the plus side, Lucy got an awesome looking scene in the premonition. Singing amidst the chaos is awesome. Perhaps my impressions were wrong. :P

I'm not doing the impressions this week anyway.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I can take impressions then this time...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here

Awesome \o/

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Well first all the people who want to contribute need to gather here...for now we are 3...k-dom also had a part last week...so he might show up as well...

We'll see if he turns up.

I suggest couple of small additions to what we did last week...

First...there's no distinction between analysis and impressions...based on the content of the last review, k-dom did more of an impression thing and Frosty did more analysis...so we definitely have to make it clear what analysis means and what impressions mean...in my opinion analysis is a detached point of view that doesn't offer opinions...and impression is the more subjective part...
    For example in this chapter...an analysis would be that The first part of the chapter reiterated the theme of friendship and unity in FT, and all the FT cast remains true to their characters....impression would be something like In the context of current events that party was totally useless, because it took away screentime from other important sub-plots, like the arranged nature of the entire event, the mystery surounding Charle, etc......

Second...we need a poll, and we need to start asking questions from the readers, to establish a dialogue...I think that is important...for example leave ambiguous predictions to the readers to decide, or sometimes leave out a personal interpretation of the events to get the reader to fill in
    Alpha had that explanation of how we make the difference between analysis and impressions, but if you look at it, it's basically the same thing. I think we definitely need to delineate the difference more clearly.

Spoiler show

Yeah, I do think I made too much analysis there. If you'll recall, I was worried about that. The last impression section I did for a JR was more impressiony than this one:

Spoiler show

Overall, we posted it up, but I wasn't that happy with the 274 JR. I did say that it was a trial run, but eh...

A poll is definitely a useful part. I have noticed that a lot of people don't comment on the reviews or vote on the polls for series outside of the Big 3, so we'll need some way to hook them in and maintain their interest level.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I can take impressions then this time...
    Sounds like a plan.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, already at work as I can see
    Nothing much to be reviewed in this chapter that was my first impression :-)
    You tell me what to do

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Banner

Made by Shinsatsu

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Frosty, whaddya mean by not liking that one person is in charge of the review? It's not like you dictate the mood here. As a team captain, you have more of an organizational role, rather than anything else.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    Frosty, whaddya mean by not liking that one person is in charge of the review? It's not like you dictate the mood here. As a team captain, you have more of an organizational role, rather than anything else.
    Exactly what it says on the tin...

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse
    If that's not obvious enough, as it apparently wasn't, seeing as you asked a question about it, what I meant was that instead of just one person making the decisions, it's better if there is still someone who does the organizing, but a lot of the decisions are done by group consensus. Opinions are what we want.

How was any of that not obvious? I know English isn't your first language, but I can't see how that was confusing...

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

How was any of that not obvious? I know English isn't your first language, but I can't see how that was confusing...
    Wrong place, bro. With that kinda attitude you need to go to the Proofreaders' HQ. This is the Reviewer Alliance HQ. For the record, English isn't even my second language, but my third, though I doubt that would change your opinion about me.

Last but not least, what exact decisions do you think should be done by group consensus, rather than by the team captain? From what I've seen so far you want to change the format of a JR and not the organizational structure.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrong place, bro. With that kinda attitude you need to go to the Proofreaders' HQ. This is the Reviewer Alliance HQ. For the record, English isn't even my second language, but my third, though I doubt that would change your opinion about me.

Last but not least, what exact decisions do you think should be done by group consensus, rather than by the team captain? From what I've seen so far you want to change the format of a JR and not the organizational structure.
    The language barrier here is somehow making my words unclear, and for that, I apologize. I guess my jokes were not easy to understand. :P

I was joking around and it's about a trope, which is conveniently called Exactly What it Says on the Tin.

Look at this thread as a whole, alpha. Bene and I are having a discussion about the aspects of the review, and what we'd like to do differently from the previous review. It's not just me saying, "Here's how we're doing it and that's it." Discussion is necessary for good cooperation between members. We may also perhaps slightly alter how the analysis and the impressions work, but that'll come over time.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

The language barrier here is somehow making my words unclear, and for that, I apologize. I guess my jokes were not easy to understand. :P

I was joking around and it's about a trope, which is conveniently called Exactly What it Says on the Tin.

Look at this thread as a whole, alpha. Bene and I are having a discussion about the aspects of the review, and what we'd like to do differently from the previous review. It's not just me saying, "Here's how we're doing it and that's it." Discussion is necessary for good cooperation between members. We may also perhaps slightly alter how the analysis and the impressions work, but that'll come over time.
    Yeah, doesn't seems like puns are going to work in this situation.

On the other hand, strictly speaking, the discussion you and bene have should be theoretically carried out in the RA HQ Thread since it touches on a global subject for all future JRs. What in its turn means that this stops being something on your level only and goes into "my jurisdiction" as the RA's leader, so ultimately, it'd be me who would make the decision whether to make any changes to the format.

Then again, bene just went and added 5 sub-categories to the analysis in the naruto JR, so I'm kinda contradicting myself >_>

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, doesn't seems like puns are going to work in this situation.

On the other hand, strictly speaking, the discussion you and bene have should be theoretically carried out in the RA HQ Thread since it touches on a global subject for all future JRs. What in its turn means that this stops being something on your level only and goes into "my jurisdiction" as the RA's leader, so ultimately, it'd be me who would make the decision whether to make any changes to the format.

Then again, bene just went and added 5 sub-categories to the analysis in the naruto JR, so I'm kinda contradicting myself >_>
    Perhaps jokes that like just don't translate well.

Not every series will necessarily have the same things, so I could understand if there was more detail and focus in the Naruto JR than here, for example. I would focus on different things in an FT JR than I would for a Naruto JR, as they're different series. In the FT JR, you saw that I focused on Mashima's words to us, and how over time, he's been less than truthful. In a Naruto JR, I'd look more at the content of the chapter and how it relates to possible character development, like how we learned that Tsunade is closer to Hashirama (in some ways) than we'd thought. Overall, all JRs will probably end up discussing the same points, but there could be a theme which is consistent throughout a specific JR.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast