Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

I'm assuming that Black Beard will be Luffy's closest competition for Pirate King. He will be the last rival defeated before reaching Raftel. Kid will certainly be an important enemy sooner or later.

There is a character everyone seems to forget when discussing serious rivals: Drake. He has also challenged a Yonkou, presumably seizing one of Kaido's favorite islands. He has also been acknowledged by Brown Beard, along with Kid, Law, and Hawkins, as a major source of trouble in the New World. I suspect he will be very important later, along with Kid and Hawkins. It remains to be seen whether he will be a friend or foe to the Strawhats.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, drake has been somewhat less relavant so far to be fair lol. Certainly that he would cause trouble against a yonko that early is impressive but he has not shown in any way to be as important as law or kid to the plot so far. I get the feeling he is more likely to befriend luffy than fight him though, dunno why but he seems like one of the more reasonable supernova.

I wouldn't put BB in the same league as kid though. BB is purely an enemy, someone luffy must unilaterally destroy. Odds are that right now he is the man closest to OP however due to his history I find it unlikely he will end up as a rival in the same sense WB was a rival to roger. I mean, WB ended up drinking sake with roger before his death. They fought till they respected each other. Such a scenario is viable with any supernova but not with BB IMO.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see Kidd being Luffy's WB. Rogers sought to conquer the seas, right? Luffy's definition of pirate king is having the most freedom in the seas, if I recall. Already in a way, both are different. Luffy's WB doesn't exactly have to be like Whitebeard, but be Luffy's rival. They don't necessarily have to be on good terms, and I can't see a Shichibukai being a WB. Kidd seeks to conquer the ocean, as opposed to Whitebeard seeking family. Luffy seeks to have the most freedom and find One Piece, while Rogers sought to conquer the sea and travel to the end.

Blackbeard is more like the villain, considering he caused Ace's death and set off a new age that threatens so many lives. His power is the only thing that can make him Luffy's WB, but his strength is what makes him Luffy's enemy more than anything else. I can't see Coby being strong enough to be Luffy's rival either unless he gets a strong Devil Fruit and trains hard.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm assuming that Black Beard will be Luffy's closest competition for Pirate King. He will be the last rival defeated before reaching Raftel. Kid will certainly be an important enemy sooner or later.

There is a character everyone seems to forget when discussing serious rivals: Drake. He has also challenged a Yonkou, presumably seizing one of Kaido's favorite islands. He has also been acknowledged by Brown Beard, along with Kid, Law, and Hawkins, as a major source of trouble in the New World. I suspect he will be very important later, along with Kid and Hawkins. It remains to be seen whether he will be a friend or foe to the Strawhats.
    well,BB will surely be his worst enemy amongst the pirates,while akainu will be it for what concerns the WG. about what you said about kid and drake,I like the hypothesis that the supernovas will play that role,maybe becoming emperors,sooner or later. but I hope drake won't be involved in luffy's matters. I rather think taht you are forgetting someone: Bugy ,he is around since the 1st volume.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL is Buggy even worth mentioning in this thread ? He's just fodder and will always be IMO either he's a Shichibukai now or not .

AS for who is Luffy's Whitebeard ..hm i don't know maybe Law ? , or maybe Kidd ? But still Whitebeard and Roger had an interesting relationship , they kinda respected each other so i don't see Kidd as someone like Whitebeard for example . They are really different and Kidd hates Luffy , we all know that . After all remember how frustrated he was after all that Luffy did in the war , taking front page and being the "Leader" of the SN and he misunderstood that bell he rang thinking he was marking the start of his era or something like that .

As for Luffy's Garp i stick with my believes and say Smoker fits that role pretty well . I don't wanna hear about Coby

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It was clear that Law respected Luffy as far back as their first meeting on Sabaody. After Jean Beart thanked Law for freeing him, Law told him to save half his thanks for Luffy here. Roger clearly respected Whitebeard and Whitebeard, Roger. If Luffy is to have a Whitebeard like rival there has to be respect, whether they fight or not. Based on that Law seems most likely. They may even spar at the end of this arc, a fight I would expect to be inconclusive.

Kidd and Luffy have each challenged Big Mom's preeminence as a Yonkou, each in their own way. I fully expect Luffy to defeat her and be proclaimed a Yonkou. At that point I expect Kidd to challenge Luffy, and that Luffy will ultimately defeat him. Kidd will be a strong enemy but will never have the stature to be compared to Whitebeard.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The Garp is definitely Coby.
    It's already set in stone that Coby will remain loyal to the Marines as it's "his dream".
    And, although I doubt he will be as strong as Luffy by the end, we already know that he can use Haki, so I expect him to be very potent in Haki, enough to fight Luffy.

As for the Whitebeard... right now, I would say that Law is the best bet.
    He's a rival, but a friend also...
    Could be Buggy too, but he's not serious enough for that...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Coby seems to young, weak, and low ranked to be Luffy's Garp. Smoker has been perusing Luffy since Loguetown, shows some respect to his adversary, and has the same rank as Garp. Like Garp he is hardly an orthodox marine. While Coby could be Luffy's Garp, the parallels are mostly speculation based on possible foreshadowing from early in the series. The parallels between Smoker and Garp are fairly well established already.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Coby seems to young, weak, and low ranked to be Luffy's Garp. Smoker has been perusing Luffy since Loguetown, shows some respect to his adversary, and has the same rank as Garp. Like Garp he is hardly an orthodox marine. While Coby could be Luffy's Garp, the parallels are mostly speculation based on possible foreshadowing from early in the series. The parallels between Smoker and Garp are fairly well established already.
    Well, coby is about the same age as luffy right? Even though luffy had an edge over coby in part 1, coby still showed impressive growth to say the least. In the same spam over which luffy crossed the grand line coby grew from a normal human being with less than average strength to one who the marines would actually take to the war. From that point, coby has had 2 years to develop his haki and strength. Luffy should have an edge over him however 2 years is enough for coby to have closed the gap a decent bit at least, it is possible the guy can even stand up to luffy now. At least the quality of the teachers they had over the timeskip should be the same, I doubt we can put garp down in that regard. To be completely fair, neither of them was worth much in the grand scheme of things during the timeskip, even luffy became mostly a target due to his potential not his actual strength.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, coby is about the same age as luffy right? Even though luffy had an edge over coby in part 1, coby still showed impressive growth to say the least. In the same spam over which luffy crossed the grand line coby grew from a normal human being with less than average strength to one who the marines would actually take to the war. From that point, coby has had 2 years to develop his haki and strength. Luffy should have an edge over him however 2 years is enough for coby to have closed the gap a decent bit at least, it is possible the guy can even stand up to luffy now. At least the quality of the teachers they had over the timeskip should be the same, I doubt we can put garp down in that regard. To be completely fair, neither of them was worth much in the grand scheme of things during the timeskip, even luffy became mostly a target due to his potential not his actual strength.
    Luffy seems to have much more potential than Coby though. To think in 2 Years Coby could be able to stand up to Luffy while that whole time when Luffy was sailing without anyone to train him and Coby being under Garp still couldnt do or phase Luffy in the slightest should really shut down the idea that Coby could or should have closed down the gap by a decent margin.

Unless like people have said, he gets a strong Devil fruit and has developed the hell out of his Haki, then he will not give Luffy any trouble.

I personally believe Law will at some point become a straw hat. I dont know why but i have this undying feeling that Luffy will somehow help Law by recovering something of Laws or something completely extreme.

Not sure who would be Luffys WB though since i forsee Law joining him. If Law doesnt Join them then he will be Luffys WB
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaymizzo View Post
    Luffy seems to have much more potential than Coby though. To think in 2 Years Coby could be able to stand up to Luffy while that whole time when Luffy was sailing without anyone to train him and Coby being under Garp still couldnt do or phase Luffy in the slightest should really shut down the idea that Coby could or should have closed down the gap by a decent margin.
    Coby went from super weakass to soru user between the story's beginning and EL, and awakened CoO haki by himself without knowing about it (the same as Luffy with CoC), which is quite awesone IMO. He doesn't have great talent or a DF (as far as we know), but he's a hard worker and we see that he's getting stronger at an insane pace. I think he's gonna be Luffy's Garp.
    On the other hand, Luffy doesn't have a clear pirate rival yet. There's no one that has been appearing sufficiently frequently as an enemy, and is from the same generation as Luffy. One of the Supernovas could become one, but I believe Law is more of an ally than a friendly enemy.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Coby went from super weakass to soru user between the story's beginning and EL, and awakened CoO haki by himself without knowing about it (the same as Luffy with CoC), which is quite awesone IMO. He doesn't have great talent or a DF (as far as we know), but he's a hard worker and we see that he's getting stronger at an insane pace. I think he's gonna be Luffy's Garp.
    Coby was under constant training with Garp and we saw that even then he wasnt even significant to Luffy in terms of combat ability. Luffy brushed him off like he was nothing.

Regardless of how much hard work he has done, he simply cannot hope to even threaten Luffy at this point, well unless he has a powerful DF and somehow awoken BH to injure Luffy with. I still do not see him ever being able to corner Luffy like how Garp did with Roger.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaymizzo View Post
    Coby was under constant training with Garp and we saw that even then he wasnt even significant to Luffy in terms of combat ability. Luffy brushed him off like he was nothing.

Regardless of how much hard work he has done, he simply cannot hope to even threaten Luffy at this point, well unless he has a powerful DF and somehow awoken BH to injure Luffy with. I still do not see him ever being able to corner Luffy like how Garp did with Roger.
    You can't expect Coby to be on par with Luffy so soon. If Garp had really captured Roger once, that'd be pretty much the pirate king's end (not counting luck like Dragon stopping Smoker at Logue town); it's the same with Coby and Luffy. Even so, we gotta admit Coby's progress was amazing during that short of a time. Luffy had +10 years of training his DF, so he was far, far above Coby in the beginning; at EL, the difference was much smaller. Also, Garp-Roger relationship was most intense when Roger was a real big shot, so let's just wait for the new Coby and judge his growth then.

Coby's reintroduction at EL and at Marineford showed that he's more important that it seemed at the beginning.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    You can't expect Coby to be on par with Luffy so soon. If Garp had really captured Roger once, that'd be pretty much the pirate king's end (not counting luck like Dragon stopping Smoker at Logue town); it's the same with Coby and Luffy.
    Coby had no chance in hell of capturing Luffy though. Like i said, at no point in the story was he even a remote threat to Luffy. He tried to stop Luffy and Luffy just tossed him aside. He was no more than just another Marine to Luffy, he was given the fodder treatment.

For him to even by any small chance be able to hold Luffy back at this point is ridiculous. You do understand that Luffy did nothing more than train for 2 Years. For Coby who again never posed a threat to pre timeskip Luffy to even make Luffy flinch is just not realistic.

Quote Quote:
    Even so, we gotta admit Coby's progress was amazing during that short of a time.
    Thats true, since a lot of marines are given fodder treatment, Coby does stand out amongst them.

Quote Quote:
    Luffy had +10 years of training his DF, so he was far, far above Coby in the beginning; at EL, the difference was much smaller.
    Thats true, but Luffys growth potential IMO is much much more above Cobys. What Luffy could achieve in 2 years i would expect Coby to in 4~7 years.

Quote Quote:
    Coby's reintroduction at EL and at Marineford showed that he's more important that it seemed at the beginning.
    He might be important, but not important enough to give Luffy a good run for his money. Not at this point anyway.

I would think Oda could keep Coby out of the plot for another 1~2 one piece years and then reintroduce him once Luffy is a Yonkou and Coby is a Vice Admiral.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ourum's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger - Luffy
    Whitebeard - Law
    Garp - Coby

Shiki - Kidd
    Sengoku - Aokiji
    Tsuru = Helmeppo (?)

Roger, Whitebeard and Garp were all friendly . . . to a degree. I think that Coby could be like Garp, eventually. Right now a lot of people are enemies but they could be friendly if Luffy comes out on top.

Shiki was/is a bit of a dick, like Kidd
    Sengoku is levelheaded, and not superior to Garp but took responsibility, like Aokiji
    Tsuru is a women, like Helmeppo

Im not saying its perfect, but after some shared experience and Whitebeards inevitable death, if not by Luffy's hands then by Whitebeards men / Shanks / someone else who is totally badass it could fit

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast