Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Stupid Luffy!

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Luffy!

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    You have to understand that Luffy is stupid. Otherwise you could have problems reading One Piece. Luffy's stupidity is an intentional feature designed by Oda. He also wanted a story with a protagonist that would have a ridiculous power; (though with the time this rubber pirate has become really powerful). Aside his stupidity he is a trustful and loyal friend. And of course he has the main feature and motto of whole One Piece plot: a really powerful will. You can take a view of this three features of his personality in this page:

Spoiler show

He has an strong self determination even if he is behaving in an stupid way; but he understand well the feeling of caring about others... Sometimes he feels compassion for creatures in pain and reacts firmly to that condition ready to fight with anyone. But I wouldn't bet he will act seriously only because it is dangerous outside there in NW. IMO, that would not be Luffy.

Another epic moment of stupidity on One Piece's NW:

Spoiler show
    What are those memorable stupidities Luffy has done through his search of the One Piece? .... (Or if you feel that your hero is been outraged post your reply.)

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stupid Luffy!

Hm, I always get a good laugh when he asks people to join. It seems he is only stupid when he is not in a serious fight, for example you can not say he was stupid when confronting Lucci or Crocodile. He was however a bit dumb when he was on Amazon Lily, I mean all of that fiasco was so funny until he got to fight, and suddenly he changed. He is both mature and childish, looking at it, Luffy is a very complex character.

4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    What are those memorable stupidities Luffy has done through his search of the One Piece? .... (Or if you feel that your hero is been outraged post your reply.)
    Well, Luffy for one is:
    • pretty easy to enthuse,
    • often jumps to false conclusions while actually being completely clueless
    • and is a complete ignorant and a pighead...

Aaaaand there's like tons of examples for it, starting with him trying to blackmail Zoro into being his first member. Or the way he attacked Zoro for attacking the Whiskey Peak people who just tried to lock him and his crew up, or the looked after Robin on the Crocodile boar after Whiskey Peak, or the way he hunted Chopper in the castle and then got excited over his scope "beam" pose... The whole Arlong arc is actually based on that he's a pighead... etc... ^^

And now you prove that even Rayleigh wasn't able to change him on that matter.

But that's why I like him most. Especially out of the ASL trio... :P

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say stupid. I think it's more like "simple person" instead. He's reckless, sometimes naive and most of times carefree. But that doesn't make him stupid. The way he learns just by seeing to fight is incredible and the techniques invented by him are also something that disqualifies him to be a stupid.
    Silly, maybe.

And a moment...Well, almost everything.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Luffy's stupid at all. As mentioned, he's just more carefree and impulsive, probably due to the whole live with no regrets thing. Luffy has on occasions out of combat shown some intelligence and good insight (admittedly, I forgot some). Even in fights, he's shown intelligence that wouldn't explain if he was stupid. Throughout the manga, it's easy to see that Luffy prefers to have fun. It's why he recruits weird people to his crew, prefers to go to danger, and does dumb things like invading the mayor's home at Water 7.

In other words, #YOLO.

Plus, most shounen action characters tend to be stupid or reckless out of fights. You tend to see them truly shine when they're in combat. Like Luffy, Part I Naruto has shown intelligence and good observation skills out of combat, like when he saw Rock Lee's bruised hands and concluded that Lee trained harder than Sasuke ever has, making him more likely to win. Didn't Luffy do or say the similar thing to Vivi when he convinced her to let SHP put their lives on the line for her and Alabasta?

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy has moments when he suddenly "clicks off" those are moments when he does silly things and stuff, he gets most of what is going on though. The CP9 moves and stuff, haki training, things like that can not be learned if he was stupid. Still those idiotic moments when Nami tells him not to do something like trying to catch fish during the FI dive was really funny. In fact it was not Luffy, even Zoro was a bit silly then.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so many euphemisms so as not to call his favorite hero stupid :-))
    Luffy is stupid, I'm pretty sure Nami used the word several time already.
    If Luffy is not, then neither is Onizuka from GTO or Oga from Beelzebub

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

You can say he is stupid but mostly i think he's just a carefree person . He doesn't give a damn about anything and just does everything that comes to his mind without restrictions . Luffy is -"Just live the moment and do everything you feel like doing" type of person But i really like that , i mean where would be the fun if he wasn't the baka that he is?

New Reply