Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Page356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

So there's pretty much a 99.9% chance that Luffy is going to be Pirate King. So if Gol D Roger is to Luffy, than Whitebeard is to...? Albeit at first I thought it was gonna be Ace, but obviously that can't be the case these days, so who's it gonna be? Who's gonna be the next Garp?

Personally I think it's gonna be Buggy. Buggy is the longest reoccuring pirate and has made it all the way to the entrance of the NW. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in dumb luck, a useful DF, and plenty of strong friends last we checked. The way Buggy is always getting the run around on his treasure hunting, I can't help but think that he might actually stumble upon some huge treasure that could be mistaken for OP by the rest of the world. I'd even guess that he's going to make it all the way to Raftel the same time or a little after Luffy does. It's all speculation of course, but that's my opinion. I don't think I could swallow it if it happened to be a supernova or Shanks.

As for Garp, I know there's a lot of Smoker fans out there, but I'm a firm believer in Colby. The dude has been around longer than Smoker, and made much more progress than Smoker. I'm not saying Smoker didn't progress, but Colby was quite possibly the weakest main character ever introduced, and now he knows some of the same techniques as CP9 as well as haki. I'm sure he's made great strides since, perhaps even becoming a vice admiral or admiral.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

I think for Luffy's pirate rival, it could be Trafalgar Law or Blackbeard. Buggy is just too hard to take seriously, in my opinion. With Whitebeard, you knew he was powerful and could kick ass. Blackbeard is recently one of the most powerful, and Law's powerful and badass as well.

Hard to believe Smoker will be the Garp to luffy, but even Garp and Roger were friends or respected each other. Could be Colby, but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to take on Luffy since he knows just what kind of guy Luffy is. I could see Akainu being the Garp and possibly slowly changing for the better after seeing what Luffy does. Unless he's that deeply rooted in his belief of what justice is.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it will be BB. The issue with that is pretty much that luffy has to defeat him within the manga timeline while such other relations would have more long time implications. As for his WB, I have to go for kid for the most part. Kid is brutal, he messes with yonko and has an awesome fruit which in extreme situations could level entire battlefields. With law I would argue his relation would be more along the lines of love hate between mihawk and shanks. His garp would obviously be either coby or smoker. I would perhaps lean more towards smoker though. Smoker is the one more likely to continually chase after luffy, smoker is the one who would refrain from advancing in the ranks to have the freedom to chase luffy, smoker is the one who would most likely form a friendship of sorts with luffy due to their neverending fights. Coby on the other hand is already luffy's friend and more importantly he is more likely to take an admiral positon (when he is finally offered one) than smoker.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner karamm's Avatar
    Country
    Palestine
    Post Thanks / Like

A pirate rival I'd have to say it's Law. Whitebeard and Roger were rivals and yet they somehow had respect for one another. Law saving Luffy shows that he has some sort of respect for Luffy, and Luffy respects anyone that helps him (saves his life) as we've seen on Amazon Lily.

As for a marine rival, I agree with you, it has to be Colby. He hasnt been taken under Garp's wing for no reason. However, I dont think he's at Smoker's level yet. Maybe he holds a rank of commodore, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was vice admiral already.

I think Blackbeard resembles Shiki. They're both "evil" and Shiki seemed to have an advantage (power) over Roger at some point the same way Blackbeard has an advantage over Luffy.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

The main reason why I think BB would be like WB is because he's shown to be extremely difficult to kill. Not sure if shichibukai can continue being pirates, though, which is why I'm on the rocks about Law. Kidd would be a decent rival, but Luffy's fightin style would give him an advantage if Kidd's DF ability is ability to attract and repel magnets.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

luffy wont follow the exact same story as roger-whitebeard-garp.

coz if you have luffy's garp, you also have to give luffy's sengoku which is basically garp's partner...you also need to provide luffy's tsuru, shiki, etc.

imo the only similarities roger and luffy had is their personalities and their will...plus the ability to hear all things.

but that doesnt mean that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy...i think its ridiculous and makes luffy's story so boring and predictable...
    i find it funny that everything that happens to luffy is connected to roger by some people...its pretty obvious lufy got his own story and roger got his own...its pretty lame imo.

by the way, luffy's garp according to some guys...which is smoker, had been buttkicked by law easily....i doubt this is garp. luffy may have some similarities to roger but they dont share the same fate. smh.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

luffy's garp should be smoker,whereas aokiji will be the fleet admiral,that is a sengoku/kong to Roger. about pirates...I think bugy may become that,since BB is trash and he will be his worst and most evil enemy. it's also possible that luffy won't have this kind of relationship with other pirates.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aokiji probably would make a good Sengoku parallel now that I think about it. As for the Garp position I guess most people tend to think Smoker over Colby? I choose Colby but I can definitely understand why others think Smoker since he shuns promotions and doesn't pussy foot around as much as Colby.

As for Law, I may actually change my opinion on him an agree since I read some other predictions not too long ago that he may actually be Sabo. That would actually give him an edge over Buggy for me since the main reason I picked Buggy was that he is the most likely to get closest to One Piece besides Luffy in my opinion. I don't think he's that strong or anything, I just believe he's likely to get stuck with Luffy at some point near the end (not as a crew member) and if Luffy had to die or anything (not sure I believe that one, but just in case he did) I think Buggy would be Pirate King just for comedic effect.

@beck26 I would like to say something about the parallelisms. It doesn't matter if you don't agree there is a Whitebeard or Garp for Luffy because, simply put, there is but luckily that reach doesn't neccesarily extend to other characters, just mostly the important ones. Whether the task is taken by a single character or multiple characters, those plot devices pretty much have to exist in any timeline in the One Piece universe for a strong good guy pirate character. I think it would be easier if I said, "Who's Luffy's good-guy pirate rival? This guy may also be really strong, friends with Luffy, or close to finding OP." or "Which marine do you think acts as a recurrent moral character that views Luffy as a friend as well as an enemy?" Any pirate would have to worry about those positions as well as the "bad guy" enemy versions as well. I don't believe this affects the originiality as most every story is not "what happens", but rather "how it happens". If we were to get rid of all inspirations and parallelisms then we would have to remove the Straw Hat itself, the Will of D, and any character based off real life persons. While I do agree Roger and Luffy each have their own story, I think certain parts of that story will have to match to some degree, after all, how many paths lead to One Piece? I think just based on your post we can see how much originiality there can be in a story where so many plot devices are reused. Please don't take offense to this as I do enjoy reading almost all of your posts.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Page356 View Post
    Aokiji probably would make a good Sengoku parallel now that I think about it. As for the Garp position I guess most people tend to think Smoker over Colby? I choose Colby but I can definitely understand why others think Smoker since he shuns promotions and doesn't pussy foot around as much as Colby.

As for Law, I may actually change my opinion on him an agree since I read some other predictions not too long ago that he may actually be Sabo. That would actually give him an edge over Buggy for me since the main reason I picked Buggy was that he is the most likely to get closest to One Piece besides Luffy in my opinion. I don't think he's that strong or anything, I just believe he's likely to get stuck with Luffy at some point near the end (not as a crew member) and if Luffy had to die or anything (not sure I believe that one, but just in case he did) I think Buggy would be Pirate King just for comedic effect.

@beck26 I would like to say something about the parallelisms. It doesn't matter if you don't agree there is a Whitebeard or Garp for Luffy because, simply put, there is but luckily that reach doesn't neccesarily extend to other characters, just mostly the important ones. Whether the task is taken by a single character or multiple characters, those plot devices pretty much have to exist in any timeline in the One Piece universe for a strong good guy pirate character. I think it would be easier if I said, "Who's Luffy's good-guy pirate rival? This guy may also be really strong, friends with Luffy, or close to finding OP." or "Which marine do you think acts as a recurrent moral character that views Luffy as a friend as well as an enemy?" Any pirate would have to worry about those positions as well as the "bad guy" enemy versions as well. I don't believe this affects the originiality as most every story is not "what happens", but rather "how it happens". If we were to get rid of all inspirations and parallelisms then we would have to remove the Straw Hat itself, the Will of D, and any character based off real life persons. While I do agree Roger and Luffy each have their own story, I think certain parts of that story will have to match to some degree, after all, how many paths lead to One Piece? I think just based on your post we can see how much originiality there can be in a story where so many plot devices are reused. Please don't take offense to this as I do enjoy reading almost all of your posts.
    lol Smoker was promoted from captain to rear admiral,and now he is a vice-admiral. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2546-...apter-439.html . till now,he hasn't refused a promotion yet.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont see aokiji as sengoku....aokiji is not even in the marines anymore...clutching for straws eh? buggy as whitbeard? wow....

again, luffy's only similarity to roger is the personality and will of D traits. they dont share the same fate...it would be too boring, predictable and redundant to base everything that roger had to luffy.

i dont condone comparing or parallelisms as i do many things like this...but not like this...oda is a genius for slipping subtle parallelisms and patterns.

but placing blatant and obvious parallelisms is not cool...especially if people assume it ALWAYS the case. like people thinking luffy is garp's reincarnation...its pretty lame and weak imo.

i even heard....

luffy will die by execution too becoz thats what happened to roger!!!
    roger mustve had the rubber fruit too!!!
    luffy will grow a moustache when he gets old too!!!
    chopper is crocus!!!
    nami is shakky!!

WTF is happening to one piece then??? same things happening to roger and luffy and everything between them is connected???????

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beck26 View Post
    i dont see aokiji as sengoku....aokiji is not even in the marines anymore...clutching for straws eh? buggy as whitbeard? wow....

again, luffy's only similarity to roger is the personality and will of D traits. they dont share the same fate...it would be too boring, predictable and redundant to base everything that roger had to luffy.

i dont condone comparing or parallelisms as i do many things like this...but not like this...oda is a genius for slipping subtle parallelisms and patterns.

but placing blatant and obvious parallelisms is not cool...especially if people assume it ALWAYS the case. like people thinking luffy is garp's reincarnation...its pretty lame and weak imo.

i even heard....

luffy will die by execution too becoz thats what happened to roger!!!
    roger mustve had the rubber fruit too!!!
    luffy will grow a moustache when he gets old too!!!
    chopper is crocus!!!
    nami is shakky!!

WTF is happening to one piece then??? same things happening to roger and luffy and everything between them is connected???????
    it's quite predictable that,wehn rufy will kick akainu's ass,aokiji will become the new fleet admiral,and the marines won't be so hostile towards the pirate king,as rufy will make the world better.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

still...how would aokiji becomes luffy's sengoku when he's not even trailing luffy??? and he's not even partnered with smoker (which is luffy's garp...that is not as strong as garp as displayed by law)....im not even sure aokiji is the fleet admiral if akainu vanishes...

who is tsuru then??? tashigi? pleeeeeeeease

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You are grasping at more and more minor characters. I believe you may have completely missed my point on some issues....I'll try to break it down even more:

Luffy = Strongest good pirate at end of One Piece so.....Who's gonna be number 2 good pirate? Buggy is not strong, I agree, but he has luck and is influential at this point and I don't really view him as an "evil" character any more. History could quite possibly paint him to seem like WB.

Garp = good marine character that tries to capture and is on some level, a friend to the strongest good pirate. Who is is the good marine in this case who is his constant rival? Smoker or Coby obviously.

I don't think I can simplify it anymore, but that's how it is. Using Aokiji as a comparison to Sengoku is a stretch, but entirely possible, especially if Aokiji would have won. After all, things are PARALLEL as opposed to being EXACTLY THE SAME.

The fact of the matter is, because of what Luffy is, he is going to have a top good marine rival, top bad marine rival, top good pirate rival, and top bad pirate rival because of what he wants to do and how he is as a person, which is very similiar to Roger. Yes, there may be tons of prospects for those positions but there are definitely major forces that fill those positions better than others. Bringing up characters like Tashigi is a cheap way to prove a point. They are minor characters with little impact on the overall plot and there is no way to go back in time to even see if a similar person in a similar position existed.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

the closest to Garp, honestly would have to be "Jinbe".

the cloest to Whitebeard would be either "Trafalgar Law" or "Captain Kidd". as far as "rivalry" is concern.
    can't really say though, at this point, but that's my closet opinion on the subject right now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd call coby the garp equivalent

he's catching up rapidly, considering luffy started out superhuman when coby was a normal wimpy kid

i think he will match luffy soon

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast