Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Quote Originally Posted by Page356 View Post
    You are grasping at more and more minor characters. I believe you may have completely missed my point on some issues....I'll try to break it down even more:

Luffy = Strongest good pirate at end of One Piece so.....Who's gonna be number 2 good pirate? Buggy is not strong, I agree, but he has luck and is influential at this point and I don't really view him as an "evil" character any more. History could quite possibly paint him to seem like WB.

Garp = good marine character that tries to capture and is on some level, a friend to the strongest good pirate. Who is is the good marine in this case who is his constant rival? Smoker or Coby obviously.

I don't think I can simplify it anymore, but that's how it is. Using Aokiji as a comparison to Sengoku is a stretch, but entirely possible, especially if Aokiji would have won. After all, things are PARALLEL as opposed to being EXACTLY THE SAME.

The fact of the matter is, because of what Luffy is, he is going to have a top good marine rival, top bad marine rival, top good pirate rival, and top bad pirate rival because of what he wants to do and how he is as a person, which is very similiar to Roger. Yes, there may be tons of prospects for those positions but there are definitely major forces that fill those positions better than others. Bringing up characters like Tashigi is a cheap way to prove a point. They are minor characters with little impact on the overall plot and there is no way to go back in time to even see if a similar person in a similar position existed.

smoker....which is garp of luffy...just got beat easily by law....

and i doubt smoker will still follow luffy until the end of the series considering luffy got other stronger rivals...so no. i still cant see it.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    the closest to Garp, honestly would have to be "Jinbe".

the cloest to Whitebeard would be either "Trafalgar Law" or "Captain Kidd". as far as "rivalry" is concern.
    can't really say though, at this point, but that's my closet opinion on the subject right now.
    Jinbe as garp??? dude,Jinbe is about to join his crew,how could jinbe be his enemy as garp was to roger?? . anyway,he hasn't ever fought Law,nor kidd till now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should wait for how Coby and Helmeppo improved within the last two years. If they got strong without taking too many injuries/scars, I don't think there's anything speaking against Coby becoming "Luffy's Garp" (while Smoker still can be "Luffy's Sengoku").

About Luffy's Whitebeard... I think it's neither Kid nor Law. Kid is much too cruel, and Law decided to work for the World Government (even though it's only part of his plans). Newgate was always pretty straight and had a dream of travelling the seas with a Pirate family. Therefore, I'd rather see Hawkins or Apoo - though I think, Oda has to show them more to be certain.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

roger got shiki, whitebeard, garp, sengoku and tsuru.

luffy got smoker, coby, akainu, aokiji, doflamingo, crocodile, buggy, law, kidd and other guys.

the only similarities roger and luffy had is they had the will of the D, their personalities and the ability to hear all things. they dont share the same fate nor they meet the same brand of people that can be compared to roger's age. that is all there to it.

people who see luffy as a reflection of roger (crocus, rayleigh, neptune etc...) is because they have the same personality, attitude and brimming confidence....but it doesnt mean luffy need to have a garp or a sengoku or a whitebeard...luffy got his own set of acquiantances that got their own personalities too.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beck26 View Post
    smoker....which is garp of luffy...just got beat easily by law....

and i doubt smoker will still follow luffy until the end of the series considering luffy got other stronger rivals...so no. i still cant see it.
    Actually,smoker had to care about tashigi and the others,and he was unlucky that,inside the room,there was frozen sea water. In a pairer fight,smoker might have won....

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

still....smoker is not in garp's level....you can twist it anyhow you want but smoker is no garp. they dont even share the same personality as roger-luffy's comparison are.

giving excuses on why smoker lost wont make him anymore garp-like

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

AS IF RUFY WERE AT ROGER'S LEVEL! both of them still have got much to learn and to improve.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yep. so why the comparison again to smoker and garp??? and coby to garp???...coby wont do anything to luffy until like...the end of the series....from what i remember, garp cornered (just cornered) roger many times.

smoker losing to law already....luffy got other fate with roger...they share the same personality and will of D...dont know why you guys keep insisting it.smfh

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll go for Kid as Luffy's Whitebeard and Law might also be Luffy's Shiki. As for Luffy's Garp, I'll go for Smoker.

Whitebeard and Roger were two opposites but were friendly to each other. Roger is the fun-loving, reckless pirate while Whitebeard is the level-headed one.
    I can see Luffy and Kid sit down and have a good cup of Sake with each other after beating the hell out of each other while having a good laugh, much like Whitebeard & Roger did. There's also the amount of respect Kid has for Luffy. Like Whitebeard had for Roger.

Law might be the Shiki to Luffy considering his rather cruel, pragmatic nature.

Smoker is definitely the Garp to Luffy, while Smoker hates pirates, even he has the morality to see what's right from wrong in WG's & Marines' actions.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

kidd got no respect for anyone....
    law allied with the government, shiki didnt....
    smoker already lost and dont think he would still be there trailing luffy until the end of the series (just like garp always trailed roger until roger submitted himself)...its either akainu or blackbeard or the gorousei who would be there in the end vs luffy....no smoker there.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems you guys seem to have some problems with the topic.
    Luffy's Whitbeard = Direct rival, not having WB's character and charisma and the same dreams
    Luffy's Garp = Not exatcly rivals, but still not having Garp's character and charisma

So, saying that " No Kidd is cruel, scum... " or whatever, isn't relevant, the same way about Smoker " He lost... ", who doesn't lose ? Even Luffy lost many times, any character lost fights many time...

But, I don't think we'll have a unique rival for Luffy... Supernovas/BB are all Luffy's rivals, Coby/Smoker want to catch Luffy too... It isn't gonna be the same as it was in Roger's time.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

but with luffy they compare him to roger because they have the same personality right? which is fine by me....the only thing that annoys me is that everything that happened to roger, they try to find and fit it into luffy's...even the people they met. i dont think one piece is that predictable to go that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy....i got no problem with people comparing to luffy, because even oda said so. even the characters said so.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner smoker559's Avatar
    Country
    Laos
    Post Thanks / Like

Law is Luffy's Whitebeard because Luffy has a stronger connection to Law, as oppose to the other Supernovas. They also seem similar in strength.

Smoker is Luffy's Garp because he is a Marine with good morals and the only character to chase Luffy throughout the series, just like Garp did to Roger during their time.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beck26 View Post
    but with luffy they compare him to roger because they have the same personality right? which is fine by me....the only thing that annoys me is that everything that happened to roger, they try to find and fit it into luffy's...even the people they met. i dont think one piece is that predictable to go that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy....i got no problem with people comparing to luffy, because even oda said so. even the characters said so.
    Yes I know that. Many people who were close to Roger acknowledged that he's really like Roger, which I agree about too, but it doesn't mean that he'll have the same rivals Roger had.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Yes I know that. Many people who were close to Roger acknowledged that he's really like Roger, which I agree about too, but it doesn't mean that he'll have the same rivals Roger had.
    see what i mean? youre kinda agreeing with me....all im saying is they share the personality, the confidence, the will of the D, the ability to hear the voice of all things....but they dont share the same fate.

in this regard....whitebeard is very far from law, kidd or anyone you wanna be whitebeard in luffy's era, or smoker to garp

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast