Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Page356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Lol what is it with you guys. Of course he won't have the same rivals, but he will have similar ones damnit. If they did a 100 year time skip and you had a good guy character that was going to be Pirate King, and you had other Pirates with the same dream, and the Marines still existed, then you would still have to fill similar roles for those chasing/competeing with him! I don't know why I can't get yall to understand this simple concept, maybe it's because not enough was shown about Roger's past. No matter what, these four roles must be filled:

Rival Good Pirate
    Rival Good Marine
    Rival Bad Pirate
    Rival Bad Marine

While there are a ton of characters in OP, some characters better fill these positions than others from what we have seen at this point, after all we are only half way through Luffy's story and we have only viewed very little of Roger's story from what happened at the end. But anyway, let's make some comparisons:

Rival Roger Luffy
    Good Pirate Whitebeard (aka the one we know about, he obviously had many like Luffy) Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks
    Good Marine Garp Smoker, Coby, Aokiji
    Bad Pirate Shiki, maybe another not shown yet Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law
    Bad Marine ??? Akainu, maybe Kong

The point is at some point these apex rivals will appear much more clearly as we find out exactly how good or evil they are, and exactly how powerful and important they are and eventually AT THE END OF THE SERIES we will have a very definite answer of ONE PERSON TO FILL EACH OF THESE ROLES. I'm looking for an opinion on WHO and WHY you predict someone to fill the "good" roles.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Bah it changed the format of my fourth paragraph:

Rival Role Vs Roger Vs Luffy
    Good Pirate = Whitebeard = Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks
    Good Marine = Garp = Smoker, Coby, Aokiji
    Bad Pirate = Shiki or other = Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law
    Bad Marine = ??? = Akainu, Kong

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beck26 View Post
    yep. so why the comparison again to smoker and garp??? and coby to garp???...coby wont do anything to luffy until like...the end of the series....from what i remember, garp cornered (just cornered) roger many times.

smoker losing to law already....luffy got other fate with roger...they share the same personality and will of D...dont know why you guys keep insisting it.smfh
    as I had just told you, it doesn't matter if smoker has been defeated by Law,as Rufy has lost against a lot of opponents.I don't think roger had always won,he should have lost sometimes against stronger opponents,whom he surpassed nonetheless.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

no...wait wait...you guys are comparing every little detail of luffy and roger and when someone says that..."well its not the case with smoker and garp"...you guys make it broad and general like...."well they are both good marines..."

smh. oh yeah. lets do the twist...like we did last summer.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Page356 View Post

Rival Role Vs Roger Vs Luffy
    Good Pirate = Whitebeard = Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks

*** whitebeard is a good pirate ho doesnt care about one piece.....law is a fishy bastard, buggy is a treasure whore, kidd is a sadistic killer.....shanks is luffy's inspiration....when in the blue did whitebeard became an idol of roger????

Good Marine = Garp = Smoker, Coby, Aokiji

***garp is a devoted marine who is a rival of roger from the beggining of his career up to the end, in which they treat each other (roger) as friends....smoker is an devoted pirate who wont be following luffy until the end (becoz luffy got bigger rivals), coby who? he would be significant in the marines like, at the end of the series...aokiji is not even a freakin marine.... :/

Bad Pirate = Shiki or other = Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law

**** i would agree somehow with shiki and blackbeard = two bad guys with a plan.

still, i hate it when people say "oh, he is luffy's blah blah blah of roger." luffy meets different people, i cant even see a whitebeard or garp or sengoku or tsuru in luffy's acquiantances.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Page356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well brah, the only last thing I can say is wait til the series is finished. The truth is you have no idea whatsoever how Roger and Garp's relationship developed, you only know the end point. The same goes for Whitebeard. Also you must be assuming Roger went straight to Raftel and had no competing pirates or marines to deal with besides Roger, Garp, and Shiki. I'm sure once we get past the other half it'll become a little more obvious.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no not all...im not assuming anything.

i know roger faced many other pirates...but im afraid once we learned every pirates and marines roger faced....you guys might find each one of them counterpart with luffy's LOL.

and yeah. tell me if smoker and law and kidd will possibly be relevant in a major way in the end of the series....its quite obvious its gonna be akainu, blackbeard and coby who would be there along with the strawhats right at the ending...if you know how to construct a storyline (however wide oda's imagination is, he still follows the rules of writing a plot)...its pretty obvious the latter 3 i mentioned are being built up much larger than any other characters along with luffy.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

according to the chapter of the alst week,CC, I think that Law will be rufy's whitebeard. I doubt he will join his crew,but they may help each other many times now.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, A friendly rivalry between Law and Luffy makes sense. The one difference is that I expect a battle between Luffy, the Marines and World Government after he becomes Pirate King, the climactic battle of the manga. I think that Law will come to Luffy's aid during that war, allying with Luffy against the government.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I agree, A friendly rivalry between Law and Luffy makes sense. The one difference is that I expect a battle between Luffy, the Marines and World Government after he becomes Pirate King, the climactic battle of the manga. I think that Law will come to Luffy's aid during that war, allying with Luffy against the government.
    lol,an all out war is needed before the end of the manga,especially since the one between WB and the HQ wasn't so great,and there weren't good fights within it. it would be cool if the SHs alone defeated the HQ,that would sanction his title of the strongest of the world. but if law joined it,it'd be ok

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be completely honest I would expect kid to be the more serious rival luffy has among the supernova. Between roger and whitebeard, the scenario seems to be that they fought so much that they came to respect each other and eventually that turned into a weird friendship(at least that would be consistent with them fighting a bunch of times and it would be somewhat similar to the garp-roger situation). Luffy getting into a bunch of fights with law would not make as much sense as him getting into a bunch of fights with kidd, who is far more volatile and is actively messing around with yonko and apparently on his way to being the pirate king. In turn, law somehow ended up having to work for ceasar.... I think the situation with law would be one of an awkward friendship more than anything. Eventually luffy will help law, law not feeling he was owned anything by luffy will feel indebted to luffy which IMO will create something of a strange friendship.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is anything friendly about Kid. He burned someone at the stake not to long ago. Kid will probably be a villain to be defeated rather than a friendly rival. Given the set up of this arc there is a good chance that Law and Luffy fight. They won't fight to the death, and they will likely retain respect for each other, but Law is allied to CC at least temporarily. That could lead to confrontation with Luffy. There is also a very strong possibility that in the near future Luffy defeats Big Mom and replaces her as a Yonkou. Thus Law in his role as a Shichibukai could end up confronting Luffy again later on in the manga.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say there was anything friendly about kid. I even mentioned him being volatile would be a reason for him to be more likely to fight luffy than law. There could be a confrontation between law and luffy however the manga has already hinted law lost something and helping ceasar is going to help him. And luffy still owes law his life, if law is in some sort of trouble odds are he will help him.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ikuroi's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty easy when it comes to Garp, it's Smoker... he fits perfectly.

As for Luffy's Whitebeard, that's harder... I don't really see Law as someone who has what it takes to be in Luffy's way. I'll say Blackbeard, as his ambitions are high and he is really powerful and he has a sick crew. Kidd is a candidate as well..

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I didn't say there was anything friendly about kid. I even mentioned him being volatile would be a reason for him to be more likely to fight luffy than law. There could be a confrontation between law and luffy however the manga has already hinted law lost something and helping ceasar is going to help him. And luffy still owes law his life, if law is in some sort of trouble odds are he will help him.
    I just can not see the parallels between Whitebeard and Kid. Whitebeard was a man of the highest moral character, a father figure free of ambition for himself, who's only thought is of what is best for his crew. Kid has clearly been portrayed as a brutal man, willing to kill not only other pirates and marines, but also civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by ikuroi View Post
    Pretty easy when it comes to Garp, it's Smoker... he fits perfectly.

As for Luffy's Whitebeard, that's harder... I don't really see Law as someone who has what it takes to be in Luffy's way. I'll say Blackbeard, as his ambitions are high and he is really powerful and he has a sick crew. Kidd is a candidate as well..
    Whitebeard was never really in Roger's way. He was the only Pirate of Roger's generation strong enough to stand up to him. While they did fight, each respected the other, and remained cordial till the end. Critically, they were never rivals. Whitebeard never sought to be Pirate King, he never sought Raftel, when Roger offered directions to Raftel he turned them down. They were never rivals, they had different goals from the beginning. Roger was guided by the Will of the D, Whitebeard hoped for a family. Should Luffy have a Whitebeard to his Roger it would have to be someone of outstanding moral character who does not seek to to become pirate king himself.

Smoker is quite clearly the Garp to Luffy's Roger. Oda has already made the parallels clear.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Smoker is the best fit for Garp, but I think Colby deserves an honourable mention, even though he's never really shown himself to be capable of rivaling Luffy. maybe Colby can be Ussopp's Garp?

Whitebeard is a harder role to fill, the closest person I can think of is Shanks, because of his strong connection with his crew and the fact that he doesn't seem to be making an effort to become pirate king himself. Maybe when he gets older people will start calling him 'Whitehair'

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying there will be parallels per say, I don't think kid will become an actual WB. Law is dramatically different from WB in all regards. I do however believe that kid would end up being the most likely contestant for luffy for the PK race. He had the highest rookie bounty, he has a fruit which can change the tide of a war with a proper scale, and among the rookies is the one IMO most likely to pick a fight with luffy just because (due to being volatile). None of the other rookies has shown a strong predisposition to being direct rivals against luffy in the PK race at least IMO. Heck, kid is even actively fighting yonko. What is luffy's little declaration of war against kid actually taking out her boats?

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast