Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Until now Coby hasn't done anything qualifying him to be this generations Garp. 674 chapters and not once cornered or brought him in any kind of serious situation. Smoker on the other hand, did so a couple times already, that's his whole purpose in the manga until now.

And how would Law be comparable to Whitebeard? Until now, he used Luffy for his purpose only. Helped Luffy because he felt like doing so, to enable him to create more chaos in the future. Now he's made an alliance to take down one of the Yonkou, furthering his own agenda again. I don't think Gol and Edward ever fought together either.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

His Garp? It will be Smoker. Smoker is huge on his justice but I think after this arc he will start looking at the SHs differently, almost as an ally.

His Whitebeard, right now would be blackbeard, but I think he has a way to go before its down to that point. He has to surpass the emperors first.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 100

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Smoker already knows that Luffy is different from the rest of the pirates, things are not gonna change, as Smoker's whole NW training was supposed to make him capable of fighting and capturing Luffy. A pirate is a pirate no matter if they do good or bad and it's the marines order to capture each of them.^^ Oda also hinted on a fight between those two when Luffy made fun of Smoker being in Tashigi's body.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy's rivalry with Smoker is already well established, starting at Loguetown, continuing at Alabasta, and now on into the New World. Smoker is now even the same rank as Garp, when Garp captured Roger. Also like Garp, Smoker does not believe in the Marine's "absolute justice", and has been shown to be an honorable opponent. While Coby has only made a small handful of cameo's since the Captain Morgan arc, Oda has methodically established Smoker as a significant adversary of the Strawhats. Coby will have a role to play; nothing so far suggests he will be the high ranking Marine officer pursuing Luffy like Garp once pursued Roger. Smoker has been filling that role since Loguetown, recurring regularly ever since.

Other than a single line at the end of the Captain Morgan arc, and repeated after Water 7, what is it that leads people to think Coby will be Luffy's Garp? What about those few lines take precedent over actual events involving Smoker, as well as the already sharply drawn parallels between Smoker and Garp? While Coby has made but a few cameo's since the end of the Captain Morgan arc, at the very beginning of the series, Smoker has had a regular recurring role. What does that say about Coby's role?

I no longer view Law as a potential Whitebeard for Luffy. While Whitebeard and Roger seemed to have a great deal of respect for each other, they also seemed to have fought on several occasions. With the formation of the alliance, I can not imagine Law ever becoming a rival of Luffy, only a friend. A viable comparison before the formation of the alliance, not so much now.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

A good pirate adversary for Luffy could be either Law or Kidd. Luffy's Garp will be Smoker. That or somehow Coby surpasses Smoker.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarutobi_sensei View Post
    A good pirate adversary for Luffy could be either Law or Kidd. Luffy's Garp will be Smoker. That or somehow Coby surpasses Smoker.
    That's the general fananswer which I support.

I'm thinking...
    Shiki -> Kidd
    Whitebeard -> Law
    Garp -> Coby
    Sengoku -> Smoker
    Big Mum -> ??? Bonney?? I mean they are both female and big eaters
    Shanks -> ???? Maybe another soon to appear character.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Coby isn't a serious contender. He's a preview of the generation that will come to power after Luffy and friends get done wreaking world-wide havoc. He'll need a couple of more decades before he reaches top-tier, and even then there is no guarantee he'll be in the same league as other legendaries such as Whitebeard, Roger, and Luffy.

As for the OP, I nominate Smoker and Buggy. Smoker is self-explanatory. Buggy, on the other hand, requires one. It's hard to treat Buggy seriously, but prior to the timeskip his crew was on par with the other Supernovas. Afterwards toss in the fact Buggy and company will have level-grinded after the timeskip. It seems improbable Buggy will be able to give Luffy and company a good fight, but keep in mind the progression someone like Luffy will make. Based on his current feats, stating him to be stronger than other characters such as Ace and Jimbe is farfetch'd. That means Luffy is being set-up to undergo some major level-grinding for Part II that will push him from Ace's league to Whitebeard's/Roger's league. The difference in strength will be huge, and if Luffy can do it then so can other characters like Buggy.

I still don't think Buggy will reach that level by the end of the manga, however, or at the very least he'll be treated as a joke villain until the very end. Whether he'll be a match for Luffy someday I dunno, but one thing I am certain of is that Buggy will become the next "ruler of the sea", one of WB's titles. With Buggy undergoing serious level grinding and amassing greater amounts of military power under his command, he'll probably have the strongest pirate fleet by the end of the manga. Once the Mugiwaras inevitably scatter that'll leave Buggy as the de facto power broker in the New World.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Luffy's rivalry with Smoker is already well established, starting at Loguetown, continuing at Alabasta, and now on into the New World. Smoker is now even the same rank as Garp, when Garp captured Roger. Also like Garp, Smoker does not believe in the Marine's "absolute justice", and has been shown to be an honorable opponent. While Coby has only made a small handful of cameo's since the Captain Morgan arc, Oda has methodically established Smoker as a significant adversary of the Strawhats. Coby will have a role to play; nothing so far suggests he will be the high ranking Marine officer pursuing Luffy like Garp once pursued Roger. Smoker has been filling that role since Loguetown, recurring regularly ever since.

Other than a single line at the end of the Captain Morgan arc, and repeated after Water 7, what is it that leads people to think Coby will be Luffy's Garp? What about those few lines take precedent over actual events involving Smoker, as well as the already sharply drawn parallels between Smoker and Garp? While Coby has made but a few cameo's since the end of the Captain Morgan arc, at the very beginning of the series, Smoker has had a regular recurring role. What does that say about Coby's role?

I no longer view Law as a potential Whitebeard for Luffy. While Whitebeard and Roger seemed to have a great deal of respect for each other, they also seemed to have fought on several occasions. With the formation of the alliance, I can not imagine Law ever becoming a rival of Luffy, only a friend. A viable comparison before the formation of the alliance, not so much now.
    I think it's because Coby and Luffy are known to be friends and have mutual respect while Garp and Roger had mutual respect, although they may not have been as good a friend. Plus, Coby's from Luffy's generation, though Roger was from the next generation after Garp's.

Unless Coby gets a significant increase in power, I don't see him ever being the Garp to Luffy's Roger. Smoker's so far the only one who can match Luffy, and both have respect for each other.

Law and Luffy could still be rivals. They can break apart and have a friendly rivalry, not necessarily enmity. It'd be like that Lion guy and Roger - Lion was ready to destroy Roger if Roger didn't join, but he still respected Roger and liked him.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    Jinbe as garp??? dude,Jinbe is about to join his crew,how could jinbe be his enemy as garp was to roger?? . anyway,he hasn't ever fought Law,nor kidd till now.
    okay, i respect your opinion of my "opinion", which is all it is. but, i did also say that's my "closet opinion on the subject right now" as well.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Garp and Roger were rivals (sort of friendly rivals), while Jimbe and Luffy never really went against each other. To me, it was friendship at the first sight... so I can't imagine Jimbe being Luffy's Garp without a HUGE and complex plot twist.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait, how can Jinbei be Luffy's Garp when Jinbei is a pirate and not with the Marine or the World Government? He'd have to join the Marine first before anything.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    okay, i respect your opinion of my "opinion", which is all it is. but, i did also say that's my "closet opinion on the subject right now" as well.
    Yet you fail to provide a reason why Jinbe could be considered the Garp of this generation. It can be your opinion all you want, doesn't stop it from being a questionable or wrong one. Jinbe never tried to capture him, nor is there a rivalery between them outside of the question of how solve the Hody problem.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

@Schabrak.

okay, I said, Jinbe because he's an elder to Luffy and also, more of an ally as was Garp to Gol D. Roger. In my opinion, Garp and Roger weren't enemies like Whitebeard and Blackbeard for example.

I could even say, Law is more of Garp than a Whitebeard. But, once again, Whitebeard wasn't exactly a true enemy to Roger either. Sure they were pirates of equal strength, but also respected each other.

The only real true enemy to Luffy would be "Akainu" or "Blackbeard" for obvious reasons. As far as Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp, you could also say "Shanks" for "Garp" and "Captain Kidd" for "Whitebeard". Luffy's world is much different than Roger's, plus the pirate age didn't exist until Roger and others came about and started their own revolt against the World Government.

As I said before, It's just my opinion for right now and that's what I am going on. I wasn't presenting myself as being "right" versus "wrong" against other people's posts, I'm not Oda, I'm just a reader like yourself with an opinion. If you need further reasons for why, I pick my choices, figure it out for yourself. Really at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter what I think.

It's more about what "you think" right?.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a big difference between being an ally or being a nemesis. We have seen that there are three different ways of justices within the Marines, none of those make them allies to the pirates, excluding the Shichibukai.

Shanks was Rogers apprentice, in which way would he be similar to Garp? Does he hunt Luffy or sees him as a bad person? No, he is following and supporting Luffy and his wish to become PK. And Kidd being Whitebeard? Makes just as little sense. They clearly had their fair share of clashes, yeah their is a rivaliry there, but WB did not aim to become PK, nor was he bloodthirsty as Kidd is.

I agree that it is a different time with different circumstances, this may be a reason why we should not try to find a reflection of the past in so many characters of the present.
    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    If you need further reasons for why, I pick my choices, figure it out for yourself. Really at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter what I think.

It's more about what "you think" right?.
    I see no reason why I should not be able to question ambiguous comments, this is a discussion aimed for a back and forth of comments/arguments after all. It doesn't matter to me what you think, what you write for all to see is a different thing though.
    Last edited by Schabrak; July 31, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Junaid_Sennin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I'm just repeating what's already been said, I haven't read through the entire thread so I don't know what others have posted. I just came here to share my view.

Ok, so lets look at the question: who is Luffy's Shirohige and Garp?

First, what does this question mean? What does it mean to be "Luffy's Shirohige" or his "Garp"? I'm gonna tackle them separately.

Shirohige was the strongest man in the world, and the only pirate of Roger's calibre. The two of them weren't rivals in the sense that they competed with one another, nor did they fight like enemies. They were actually on a very friendly basis. Nevertheless, their crews clashed in the past, and Shirohige was the only pirate in the world who could match Roger. So, we need a pirate that will be able to compete with Luffy in strength/fighting capabilities when Luffy becomes Pirate King, but he also has to be someone that isn't expressly Luffy's enemy, but more like a rival. I think Law is currently the best candidate for that.

Garp was the only marine who could match Roger in a fight, and he was the main marine pursuing Roger to arrest him. However, he didn't see Roger as evil, just that he was a pirate and therefore had to be arrested. He still admired and even liked Roger. So, again we need someone strong enough to match Luffy, but not be a hardliner or see him as evil. My bet is Coby. Yes, right now Coby's still weak (as far as we know), but think of how quickly Coby went from pathetic errand boy for Alvida, to the way he was when we last saw him. Months. That's got to be a combination of incredible hard work and a hidden talent. Coby is going to grow beautifully into a worthy rival for Luffy. Plus, he likes Luffy, unlike Smoker, the other favourite candidate, who while not hating Luffy or thinking of him as completely evil, is still a bit too strict and sympathetic to Akainu's philosophy (all pirates are the same, evil trash that can't change).

TL/DR: Law and Coby
    Stand back, I'm going to try science

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5