Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Liar Game Chapter 153 Discussion/154 Prediction

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game Liar Game Chapter 153 Discussion/154 Prediction

This is the thread where you discuss the current chapter of Liar Game.
    24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.
    Last edited by Josef K.; August 27, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game Chapter 152 Discussion/153 Prediction

Liar Game Chapter 153 by TDX

Finally it's out. I hope Shinobu would release at least 15-ish chapters before going back to hiatus again. Or at least finishing this poker bid.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game Chapter 153 Discussion/154 Prediction

Ah, good chapter...I like this development Nao is getting...she is slowly developing her instinct to think up good plans and convince people, even if Akiyama is the one refining them or doing the damage control...it's still amazing, I love it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It is probably because I just reread the whole new arc, but I noticed Kitani changed the rules mid game. That's a pretty big no-no.

Also, it continues to boggle my mind as to how stupid the observers are. Akiyama needs to improve his hand why? He is going to make the most money due to paying 4 coins for his lots and he'll make back a part if not significantly more when someone bids on his discard lot. I'm not going to do an insane analysis of what specific combination of cards everyone else would need to ensure he lost and I'm not going to believe it if somehow Harimoto maneuvers everyone into getting that exact combination.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Liar Game Chapter 153 by TDX

Finally it's out. I hope Shinobu would release at least 15-ish chapters before going back to hiatus again. Or at least finishing this poker bid.
    The poker arc is really not that interesting, not the game, but what will be of this game. The 4th round was so far the best, it had a lot at stake. Even though through Nao's words in this chapter Kaitani tried to convince us that these consolation, revival rounds are more important. I think to us readers we want to see the top battle it out. Akiyama and Harimoto in a 5th round. Cool huh?

Well, at least we know that form the players we know thus far the 4th round was a disaster so at least everyone is back to square one.

Now, in this arc we are seeing Nao develop, as the LGT hosts said: IT IS JUST CRAZY ENOUGH TO WORK. This is Nao's moto now. XD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    The poker arc is really not that interesting, not the game, but what will be of this game. The 4th round was so far the best, it had a lot at stake. Even though through Nao's words in this chapter Kaitani tried to convince us that these consolation, revival rounds are more important.
    Revival games had a lot more tension when the two main characters didn't go into them with enough money to see themselves through a defeat. Nao can utterly fail in her mission to save everyone, but as long as one person besides Akiyama and Harimoto's group survives, she will be able to continue playing by just assuming their debts like Akiyama did before the game. You can be reckless and go for the complete victory when you are playing with house money.

That's a significant reason why this game just needs to end.

I think to us readers we want to see the top battle it out. Akiyama and Harimoto in a 5th round. Cool huh?
    That might be the single worst direction the series can go. Do we really need more games versus Harimoto or Yokoya? Enough is enough. Give us new villains/supporting characters. Admittedly, my number projections don't leave a lot of room for additional players, especially since my projections were based on pre-Kaitani changing the rules of Bid Poker. (previously all you needed was high card, now you need something above that. And that's an unpardonable change with which someone needs to beat Kaitani repeatedly)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I like what Harimoto brings to the story and I'd like to see him stick around, though he needs to pose an actual threat to Akiyama and not just fold halfway through every game.

Yokoya's useless at this point and I don't really care what happens to him.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; August 25, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    It is probably because I just reread the whole new arc, but I noticed Kitani changed the rules mid game. That's a pretty big no-no.
    Can you elaborate that a bit? I really wouldn't want to go back and reread

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Can you elaborate that a bit? I really wouldn't want to go back and reread
    High card was previously an acceptable hand. Now players need at least a pair to be ranked, hence the desire to get 2 lots and Nao saying that only Akiyama and Harimoto are ranked.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fanatik's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

^The same page, volume edition: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/117312/...h141_by_tdx/11. High card has no value.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So, he retconned it for the volume when he realized he made a shitty game. That's still changing the rules mid game.

And I'm positive the original is not a translation issue. It says "the strength of one's hand is determined in the same way as in ordinary poker." while ignoring high card as a viable hand is a pretty big departure from poker's rules.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; August 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Revival games had a lot more tension when the two main characters didn't go into them with enough money to see themselves through a defeat. Nao can utterly fail in her mission to save everyone, but as long as one person besides Akiyama and Harimoto's group survives, she will be able to continue playing by just assuming their debts like Akiyama did before the game. You can be reckless and go for the complete victory when you are playing with house money.

That's a significant reason why this game just needs to end.

That might be the single worst direction the series can go. Do we really need more games versus Harimoto or Yokoya? Enough is enough. Give us new villains/supporting characters. Admittedly, my number projections don't leave a lot of room for additional players, especially since my projections were based on pre-Kaitani changing the rules of Bid Poker. (previously all you needed was high card, now you need something above that. And that's an unpardonable change with which someone needs to beat Kaitani repeatedly)
    Neither Harimoto nor Yokoya are fully beaten, they are cockroaches, they keep coming and coming for more, you think he build up Yokoya before that start of this arc for no reason? He is coming back as bitchy as ever. But I think the hosts as villains and direct participation from them is my desire for a long time.

How long do you think this arc will go?

Oh and I am fine with him reevaluating the game, Liar Game is no easy manga you know, I am surprised he has not done such a thing previously, it means the previous games were scripted perfectly. :O

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither Harimoto nor Yokoya are fully beaten, they are cockroaches, they keep coming and coming for more, you think he build up Yokoya before that start of this arc for no reason? He is coming back as bitchy as ever. But I think the hosts as villains and direct participation from them is my desire for a long time.
    I think my issue is that the series develops one new villain at a time. Every other player is ruthless and lacks trust but is as dumb as a plank of wood and that might be insulting planks of wood. That was ok in the first game or two, but how in the hell have all of these characters managed to survive this long into the game?

And yeah, the Liar Game office is definitely an avenue that needs to be explored.

How long do you think this arc will go?
    5-7 more chapters. What we still have left: Nao's plan, the inevitable betrayal, and the reversal (Akiyama would normally be the author of the reversal, but maybe we'll get Nao in this arc) Basically a repeat of what we've just read.

Oh and I am fine with him reevaluating the game, Liar Game is no easy manga you know, I am surprised he has not done such a thing previously, it means the previous games were scripted perfectly. :O
    He needed to retcon the rules because if he didn't, the game would be incredibly boring and have absolutely zero movement after the first bids, but that should have been incredibly obvious to his editor. The fact that there was essentially zero motivation to discard cards was immediately obvious to me and I'm pretty sure I repeatedly posted about it. The fact that this happened in an arc coming off a hiatus which means there is significantly more time to work everything out makes this even less forgivable.

And I don't agree that the previous games were scripted perfectly. We've been getting waaaaaaaay too much: X happens, observers act like surprised retards, someone explains what happened by showing a video of the backstabbing/planning. That's pretty much what the entirety of the musical chairs game was. Show us what happens in a cohesive fashion, stop pausing and going back and telling us what just happened. That's rule #1 of creative writing: show, don't tell.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty minor rule change and it made the game more interesting so I'm finding myself hard pressed to feel particularly scandalized over this.

And I don't think the game will last much longer either, revival rounds rarely do.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my issue is that the series develops one new villain at a time. Every other player is ruthless and lacks trust but is as dumb as a plank of wood and that might be insulting planks of wood. That was ok in the first game or two, but how in the hell have all of these characters managed to survive this long into the game?

And yeah, the Liar Game office is definitely an avenue that needs to be explored.

5-7 more chapters. What we still have left: Nao's plan, the inevitable betrayal, and the reversal (Akiyama would normally be the author of the reversal, but maybe we'll get Nao in this arc) Basically a repeat of what we've just read.

He needed to retcon the rules because if he didn't, the game would be incredibly boring and have absolutely zero movement after the first bids, but that should have been incredibly obvious to his editor. The fact that there was essentially zero motivation to discard cards was immediately obvious to me and I'm pretty sure I repeatedly posted about it. The fact that this happened in an arc coming off a hiatus which means there is significantly more time to work everything out makes this even less forgivable.

And I don't agree that the previous games were scripted perfectly. We've been getting waaaaaaaay too much: X happens, observers act like surprised retards, someone explains what happened by showing a video of the backstabbing/planning. That's pretty much what the entirety of the musical chairs game was. Show us what happens in a cohesive fashion, stop pausing and going back and telling us what just happened. That's rule #1 of creative writing: show, don't tell.
    The "collective stupidity" is a leitmotif in every arc/game so far, it is the repeating of it that makes a stronger case for low actually dumb they are. Though I would argue that they are stressed out of their mind, they see this as basic survival, not like Yokoya, Akiyama or Harimoto that have bigger ambitions. The regular players just wants out.

Well this game is not as good as some of the ones we had, he tried to bend the rules of poker, added ipads(lol tablet) and stuff, made the game confusing, and we are left with just that, it has to end. Otherwise a boring repeat with just a bit of changes to the structure of a game, that is worst than previous ones.

He is a good writer, he just has themes he likes to stick to, the whole tension of the game, who wins, who explains are all part of the theme, and as I mentioned the theme is repeating stuff as well, so we are stuck with it as well, sort of gives the feel to infinity as well.

Let's just hope this ends so we can explore LGT more?

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    It's a pretty minor rule change and it made the game more interesting so I'm finding myself hard pressed to feel particularly scandalized over this.

And I don't think the game will last much longer either, revival rounds rarely do.
    We benefited from an already boring scenario. Seems good.

New Reply