Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Liar Game Chapter 152 Discussion/153 Prediction

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game Chapter 152 Discussion/153 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    All in all three weeks without Liar Game, but I agree that it should have been made more clearer on why this mini hiatus was taken previously, the whole health issue is a massive mistake and a clear example of disinformation. :/

I hope they do not think that if LG becomes irregular it will lose fans, so no one will care anymore about it.
    A series that is published irregularly will lose fans fans and fail to gain new ones at the rate that it would if it was published regularly, but an irregularly published series can, however, still be profitable to publish if the magazine publishing decides that it is worth the headaches caused. (Adding 10ish pages to a magazine intermittently is a lot more of a hassle than simply calling the company who publishes it and saying you are going to be printing 10 more pages.)

Without seeing a lot of financial data that isn't necessarily released to the public, it is impossible to say when or how Liar Game uses up all of its slack, but if Liar Game continues to go on breaks, it will eventually not come back.

I suppose we should probably get back to discussing the actual series. I made a list of the probable card sets to hit the market, but I'm not sure this is the thread to post it in and it would feel weird to have multiple discussion threads at once, so I'll just hold onto it.

---------- Post added April 24, 2012 at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was April 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM ----------

An update on Liar Game's status from TDX:
    Quote Quote:
    UPD: As of now, 4/23, the official site says LG is on hiatus, that is, it will not appear in print in at least #22-23 (release date 4/26) and #24 (release date 5/10).
    ---------- Post added May 09, 2012 at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was April 24, 2012 at 05:09 PM ----------

Another update on Liar Game's status from TDX:
    Quote Quote:
    UPD2: (5/9) The site gave the reason for the hiatus, "collecting and sorting out data for the plot".
    So, despite a year long hiatus, the author had only planned halfway through the revival game? I guess that would explain why this is by far the worst "Liar Game" in the series as the lying and psychological games ended about 30 seconds into the game (ok, technically about 15 minutes in, but that is besides the point) and are not going to revive without stupid play. (But when people who have survived at least 3 games and as many as 6 are shown to fall for basic slight of hand, the author has shown he does not care about how absurd the characters look when it comes to furthering the plot)

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member andysislands's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post

Another update on Liar Game's status from TDX:

So, despite a year long hiatus, the author had only planned halfway through the revival game? I guess that would explain why this is by far the worst "Liar Game" in the series as the lying and psychological games ended about 30 seconds into the game (ok, technically about 15 minutes in, but that is besides the point) and are not going to revive without stupid play. (But when people who have survived at least 3 games and as many as 6 are shown to fall for basic slight of hand, the author has shown he does not care about how absurd the characters look when it comes to furthering the plot)
    Actually, I think the author probably had the story basically figured out. But... I think maybe his editor looked it over and found some major flaw in how the game was progressing. So he's probably trying to revamp the story to put it back on track.

Also, I think the new movie probably ate up some more time than was expected.

But I hope new chapters start rolling again soon!
    That huge Hiroyuki Takei fan, who's has been around for a long, long time....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andysislands View Post
    Actually, I think the author probably had the story basically figured out. But... I think maybe his editor looked it over and found some major flaw in how the game was progressing. So he's probably trying to revamp the story to put it back on track.
    Editors talk to the author about their plans for an ark before starting said ark, so that would seem somewhat absurd.

Of course, in his plan, Kaitani Shinobu might have failed to mention that he was going to destroy the potential for tension by having neither of the main characters have a vested interest beyond 30 seconds into the game. Unless they are breezed through, 5 rounds of bidding on discarded cards is going to be brutally boring. Players not associated with Harimoto could attempt to maximize their hands so as to possibly knock out a few players aligned with Harimoto, but as neither Nao or Akiyama have any major stake in that, it would not be that interesting. (Nor would the players go for it as neither Nao nor Akiyama would be risking anything. Nao's greatest strength has been her willingness to sacrifice herself to save others)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think collecting data means a whole lot, it's a pretty standard excuse for artists to take time off.

Whatever's happening I hope it won't be too long.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    I don't think collecting data means a whole lot, it's a pretty standard excuse for artists to take time off.

Whatever's happening I hope it won't be too long.
    It is, but this has been anything but standard and this author has a history of being incredibly incredibly flaky.

I know I've been pounding the doom and gloom drum hard, but it disgusts me to see an author destroy what was a pretty good series with a lot of potential because he feels like being lazy and unimaginative. If he cares so little, why did he bring it back at all?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There's obviously something we don't know here, but I think reading that much in to a basic PR statement is a little melodramatic.

I don't really agree that he's destroying the series, so I can't say much about that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's obviously something we don't know here, but I think reading that much in to a basic PR statement is a little melodramatic.
    It would have been a basic PR statement over a month ago and with a different author.

I don't really agree that he's destroying the series, so I can't say much about that.
    This is the first game that:

-Is not believable. No one who won the first game would fall for Akiyama's "spirit" trick, much less someone who had survived so long.

-Lacks a psychological element. There is strategy, yes, but if not for Nao's work together plan, the whole game would have logically gone by without any lying or manipulation. No one who has survived so long into the game would logically discard below a full set of cards as there is absolutely zero to gain

-Lacks any sort of drama for Nao or Akiyama. The Nao/Akiyama tension would never work because he has acted without her knowing the motivation before and things have always worked out. I know she has grown as a person, but it would be beyond retarded for that to suddenly mean she stops trusting the actions of someone with who she has successfully worked 6 games.

Add back in the uncertainty over commitment to the series and I don't know how else to describe what is going on.

I'm just hoping this arc ends soon as I see no viable means by which to "revive" it.

---------- Post added May 28, 2012 at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was May 11, 2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

Just for reference:
    Liar Game was last published in Young Jump #17.
    Our last official word on the hiatus was May 9th. (So far as I know.)
    This week's magazine is #27.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji View Post
    Please wait yet a little bit.
    Hmmm, a "little bit" relative to a 1 year hiatus could still be a rather long time. Lol
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji View Post
    Shinobu Kaitani Twitter (29/05).

Preparation for the resumption of Liar Game is progressing well. Please wait yet a little bit.
    Instead of telling us he is working on the chapter (he was drawing it all the way back in late April), he just needs to finish it and stop his B.S.. I get that being a mangaka is a brutally difficult job, but if he doesn't like or doesn't like Liar Game, just stop instead of screwing with his loyal fans. That his publishers have not laid down the law is unfathomable.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Mangaka have a really high status in Japan I think, considering the popularity of his series over seas as well, I think he enjoys a lot of freedom from the magazine, publisher ect., though we may not like it, but it really is weird to cut of right in the middle of the arc like that. :/

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    but it really is weird to cut of right in the middle of the arc like that. :/
    I don't think this can be understated. The only other series I've read that has had anything similar is Vagabond and I'm pretty sure no one wants to see Liar Game devolve into having 5-6 chapters in a year, then disappearing for another year only to see another 5-6 chapters released, none of which ever resolve anything. (Oh God I want to see Musashi versus Kojirō.)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fanatik's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I read Hunter x Hunter, aka Hiatus x Hiatus, so LG continued hiatuses stopped bothering me. I'd think that now that he has a chance, Kaitani wants to make a backlog as big as possible before continuing the serialization. And he probably has to wait for a slot in the magazine to open up first anyway.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fanatik View Post
    I'd think that now that he has a chance, Kaitani wants to make a backlog as big as possible before continuing the serialization.
    You'd have expected him to do that before restarting the series in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by fanatik View Post
    And he probably has to wait for a slot in the magazine to open up first anyway.
    Maybe, but that seems unlikely:
    1) If the company knew that the hiatus was going to be an extended one, they would have almost certainly done a better job conveying that.
    2) Forcing Liar Game to wait for another series to end/be cancelled could artificially extend the hiatus for months because those events are not a monthly occurrence and they likely want the series back as soon as possible.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gananime's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

So, any update regarding Liar Game's resume?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gananime View Post
    So, any update regarding Liar Game's resume?
    The translation on Chrome for the author's twitter account says he had a meeting for Liar Game yesterday.

I swear to god 90% of his tweets are in regard to his calorie intake. Tracking that is all well and good if you are on a diet as it allows you to know exactly how much you are eating, but my god, why does he think anyone cares? It's crap like that over which people mocked social media a decade ago.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast