Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sakamichi no Apollon

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    things happened too fast, to the point where the story forgot to build up to events and instead just threw them at us.
    Exactly! That’s why things stopped feeling natural.

Quote Quote:
    But I feel if they had slowed it down just a bit more, to show the rising action that allowed the story to naturally flow to that point, then it would have been fine.
    I agree. I understand why the anime team wanted to rush things, but I don’t understand why the mangaka rushed things in order to end the manga, in order to end the story.

Quote Quote:
    For example, I don't remember Sen's sister ever climbing onto his bike, not to mention their discussion about it not being safe, and why would she ride with him to see Kaoru anyways?
    I couldn’t agree more with your comment. It is those unanswered questions and things left in the air that have bothered me and have diminished my fondness for this series.

Quote Quote:
    It would have made more since if she had a reason, like she forgot to give him a birthday present or something. If the Mangaka had just built up the reason why she was riding with him just a little more, then it wouldn't have felt so forced.
    Yes, you are totally right. I think the mangaka’s decision to take shortcuts regarding the story made the story suffer in the end.

Quote Quote:
    Ri-chan singing was so cute!! and her character is so pretty!!! Ri-chan, I love you!!!
    Ri-chan is my favorite character in this series!! She is absolutely great!!
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Exactly! That’s why things stopped feeling natural.
    I'm glad we see things the same way, I'm always so happy to hear your opinion!

Quote Quote:
    I understand why the anime team wanted to rush things, but I don’t understand why the mangaka rushed things in order to end the manga, in order to end the story.
    Now, this would make sense if the story was failing in the polls and the editors gave it the five week chop; in such cases you have no choice but to speed up the story at the cost of its value. But from the quality of the story alone, there is no way it would receive the end order; and even if that were so, from what I understand, the pace picked up a volume or so before the end, so regardless of whether the story was cut or not, it happened after the author threw away its value. This is rather discouraging, and more simply, confounding. Even with the shady ending, it was a great story, but had the Mangaka nurtured its development just a bit more, then it would have been extraordinary.

Quote Quote:
    I couldn’t agree more with your comment. It is those unanswered questions and things left in the air that have bothered me and have diminished my fondness for this series.
    From what his sister said after the accident, Sen let her ride because she was injured, but once again, it doesn't make sense why she has to leave in the first place. Making me think that he picked her up on the way? After all, I don't recall her getting on the bike when he left. If that is so, it would have been nice if the Mangaka told us/ animators showed us.

Quote Quote:
    Ri-chan is my favorite character in this series!! She is absolutely great!!
    Destiny-chan is my favorite character on this forum Ugh, off topic again
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; June 25, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have a rush feeling at that time when I read the manga. Actually this volume was even one of my favorite, there is a pic in the drama and the emotion before the last one. And the fact that it is not dragged adds to the tension.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad we see things the same way, I'm always so happy to hear your opinion!
    And I’m happy to hear yours. Btw, maybe I’m wrong but Sakamichi no Apollon is the only series from the spring season that you are currently watching, right?

Quote Quote:
    Now, this would make sense if the story was failing in the polls and the editors gave it the five week chop; in such cases you have no choice but to speed up the story at the cost of its value. But from the quality of the story alone, there is no way it would receive the end order; and even if that were so, from what I understand, the pace picked up a volume or so before the end, so regardless of whether the story was cut or not, it happened after the author threw away its value. This is rather discouraging, and more simply, confounding.
    Maybe the mangaka…got tired of the story and wanted to end it as fast as possible? I guess we’ll never know the reason why things got rushed in the end, but as you said, it is a sad thing that the author chose to go that way.

Quote Quote:
    Even with the shady ending, it was a great story, but had the Mangaka nurtured its development just a bit more, then it would have been extraordinary.
    The ending is not that bad…not amazingly great, but it is not bad. IMO, I feels rushed and forced but…at least it is satisfying at some level.

Quote Quote:
    From what his sister said after the accident, Sen let her ride because she was injured, but once again, it doesn't make sense why she has to leave in the first place. Making me think that he picked her up on the way? After all, I don't recall her getting on the bike when he left. If that is so, it would have been nice if the Mangaka told us/ animators showed us.
    And
    Spoiler show

Quote Quote:
    Destiny-chan is my favorite character on this forum Ugh, off topic again
    Awwww, you make me blush. You’re one of my favorite people on MH as well. I have enjoyed discussing this series with you a lot!!

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I didn't have a rush feeling at that time when I read the manga. Actually this volume was even one of my favorite, there is a pic in the drama and the emotion before the last one. And the fact that it is not dragged adds to the tension.
    I guess you’re right, this volume doesn’t feel as rushed in the manga as in the anime. However, it is in this volume where IMHO things stopped feelings natural and organic and began to feel forced and rushed, because the last volume…maybe it is just me but it felt very rushed.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

And I’m happy to hear yours. Btw, maybe I’m wrong but Sakamichi no Apollon is the only series from the spring season that you are currently watching, right?
    Right, lol, I only started watching it because of your signature. Rather than watch anime, I normally read manga, because manga is the complete and unedited version. While I love to see the art come ALIVE! and with COLOR! in anime, to be honest, a lot of animes destroy their represented mangas; by crushing them under the oppressive power of fillers, diverging from the plot to create its own pseudo story, cutting the story short, and or throwing in crappy half-baked endings. Five times out of ten if you watch an anime, it will end before the manga, and you'll never know what happens, or really happens, unless you read the manga, and then to make sure you don't miss anything that the anime left out, you have to read the whole manga. And reading what I just watched can be very tiresome, not to mention time consuming. Thus, reading manga is preferred.

Quote Quote:
    Maybe the mangaka…got tired of the story and wanted to end it as fast as possible? I guess we’ll never know the reason why things got rushed in the end, but as you said, it is a sad thing that the author chose to go that way.
    Yeah... I don't know, only if it was me, I would have went into a lot more detail and complexity. After all, the majority of the story thrived on a tight layer of complexity, so the way it just slacks off at the end throws everything apart.

Quote Quote:
    The ending is not that bad…not amazingly great, but it is not bad. IMO, I feels rushed and forced but…at least it is satisfying at some level.
    Lol, I did say it was a great anime, and a great portion of a stories success and how it sticks in our hearts, is the conclusion. That is to say, if I consider the anime great, obviously I liked the ending. Only I agree with you that it could have been a lot better. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote Quote:
    And
    Spoiler show
    A certain artistic aspect to it, where we are left with the power to fill in the missing blocks, and make of the story as we perceive it? Haha, that just seems like a lousy excuse to cover up plot holes to me. If the mangaka's intent was to allow our imagination to procure events, that is a plot device best used after the conclusion. Allow us to imagine what happens to the characters after the ending; not while its going on.

Quote Quote:
    Awwww, you make me blush. You’re one of my favorite people on MH as well. I have enjoyed discussing this series with you a lot!!
    Is that so? lol I think I need to catch me a cute little monkey.
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; June 26, 2012 at 01:32 AM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Right, lol, I only started watching it because of your signature. Rather than watch anime, I normally read manga, because manga is the complete and unedited version. While I love to see the art come ALIVE! and with COLOR! in anime, to be honest, a lot of animes destroy their represented mangas; by crushing them under the oppressive power of fillers, diverging from the plot to create its own pseudo story, cutting the story short, and or throwing in crappy half-baked endings. Five times out of ten if you watch an anime, it will end before the manga, and you'll never know what happens, or really happens, unless you read the manga, and then to make sure you don't miss anything that the anime left out, you have to read the whole manga. And reading what I just watched can be very tiresome, not to mention time consuming. Thus, reading manga is preferred.
    So I guess after this anime ends, I won’t see you in any of the other threads of this board…

Quote Quote:
    Lol, I did say it was a great anime, and a great portion of a stories success and how it sticks in our hearts, is the conclusion. That is to say, if I consider the anime great, obviously I liked the ending. Only I agree with you that it could have been a lot better. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    So since you know what happens in the end already…I guess I can safely assume you have read the last chapters of the manga?

Quote Quote:
    A certain artistic aspect to it, where we are left with the power to fill in the missing blocks, and make of the story as we perceive it? Haha, that just seems like a lousy excuse to cover up plot holes to me.
    It does sound like an excuse, doesn’t it? Then…I guess for some unknown reason it was the mangaka’s intention to end the series in that way.

Quote Quote:
    Is that so? lol I think I need to catch me a cute little monkey.
    You saying “catching” reminded me of Pokemon “Gotta Catch 'Em All”

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So I guess after this anime ends, I won’t see you in any of the other threads of this board…
    Just tell me your favorite anime of the season and I'll watch it ;P

Quote Quote:
    So since you know what happens in the end already…I guess I can safely assume you have read the last chapters of the manga?
    Lol, nope, I was basing that statement on what I've seen thus far and what you have divulged to me. I trust your discerning eye and from that alone I can pretty much predict what will happen, or at least, my affinity towards it.

Quote Quote:
    It does sound like an excuse, doesn’t it? Then…I guess for some unknown reason it was the mangaka’s intention to end the series in that way.
    Yeah, sorry for my sarcasm in discrediting it, but just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world will never know.

Quote Quote:
    You saying “catching” reminded me of Pokemon “Gotta Catch 'Em All”
    Destiny-Chan, I chose you! lol

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tell me your favorite anime of the season and I'll watch it ;P
    That offer is awfully tempting. ^^

I’m currently watching three other anime series: Kuroko no Basket, Hyouka, and Area no Kishi. Kuroba is about basketball, Hyouka is about mystery and school life and Area no Kishi is about soccer….out of those…my favorite is….Kuroko no Basket. Awesome series and I’ve also heard the manga is also very good.

Quote Quote:
    Lol, nope, I was basing that statement on what I've seen thus far and what you have divulged to me. I trust your discerning eye and from that alone I can pretty much predict what will happen, or at least, my affinity towards it.
    Then I guess you are going to enjoy the ending a bit more than I did…although, the ending is rushed and feels forced it has a degree of unpredictability to it that is pretty nice.

Quote Quote:
    Yeah, sorry for my sarcasm in discrediting it, but just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world will never know.
    Lol. that Tootsie Pop comment was priceless!

Quote Quote:
    Destiny-Chan, I chose you! lol
    Last edited by destiny4ever; June 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the ending surprise was a bit force but there is worse in manga. I liked how Bon grow up in this last volume. As for the eventual plothole, there will be an added volume that covers Jun and Yurika story. That was the only deceiving part that lack to me.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Yeah the ending surprise was a bit force but there is worse in manga.
    True…it’s just the beginning of the series was so good that I wasn’t expecting for the ending to be even better.

Quote Quote:
    I liked how Bon grow up in this last volume.
    Well…he matured in a lot of aspects, but in some other aspects he was still the young Bon from High School.

Quote Quote:
    As for the eventual plothole, there will be an added volume that covers Jun and Yurika story. That was the only deceiving part that lack to me.
    I hope there is a volume about Sen and Ri-chan as well because they were some important things, especially about Sen’s, about those two characters that weren’t totally answered.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope there is a volume about Sen and Ri-chan as well because they were some important things, especially about Sen’s, about those two characters that weren’t totally answered.
    Sen and Ri-chan? I don't like the sound of that; she doesn't break up with Kaoru does she?

---------- Post added June 29, 2012 at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was June 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM ----------

I just saw the last episode; it was supper depressing until the end, and left so many unanswered questions. What happens to Kaoru and Ri-chan?

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sen and Ri-chan? I don't like the sound of that; she doesn't break up with Kaoru does she?
    No she doesn’t. In fact, in a way, it is Kaoru who breaks up with Ri-chan.

Quote Quote:
    I just saw the last episode; it was supper depressing until the end, and left so many unanswered questions. What happens to Kaoru and Ri-chan?
    So now you can understand even better why I wasn’t super fond of the ending. I haven’t watched the last episodes yet, but I can already tell that they must have left out so many things. I’ll post my comments about watching the last episode.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No she doesn’t. In fact, in a way, it is Kaoru who breaks up with Ri-chan.
    Stupid Kaoru, you're not the only one hurting. Together, with Ri-chan at your side, you could have got through everything together. What kind of man leave a woman to suffer alone? Moreover, why wouldn't he want the comfort of his love at his side. Well, I understand if it was his dream to become a doctor that he must go to Tokyo, but the way he did so is unforgivable! I mean, even if it was impossible to take her with him... wahhhhh! Kaoru no Baka!!!

Quote Quote:
    So now you can understand even better why I wasn’t super fond of the ending. I haven’t watched the last episodes yet, but I can already tell that they must have left out so many things. I’ll post my comments about watching the last episode.
    I did like how everyone came together at the end, but then what happens to them after? It felt like the story evaded giving us a conclusive ending.

26. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Desy. the whole ending seemed a bit rushed. Would really love to see more about grown-up Sen, Bon and Ritsuko

I'm fine with the ending though, it really catched my heart and I was constantly smiling while I watched the last minutes. Sen and Bon's combo in the church made me go all happy, just closed my eyes and listened

I will really miss the show, it appeared a bit rushed at times (well it's a given when you need to compress everything into 12 episodes) but nevertheless it was so beautiful and well-executed. Definitely the best show of this spring season

28. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Kaoru, you're not the only one hurting. Together, with Ri-chan at your side, you could have got through everything together. What kind of man leave a woman to suffer alone? Moreover, why wouldn't he want the comfort of his love at his side. Well, I understand if it was his dream to become a doctor that he must go to Tokyo, but the way he did so is unforgivable! I mean, even if it was impossible to take her with him... wahhhhh! Kaoru no Baka!!!
    I know that pushing her away and hurting her wasn’t the right thing to do but his words outside the shop and the scene at the train station…I those scenes!! They were so sweet and filled with so much love!

Quote Quote:
    I did like how everyone came together at the end, but then what happens to them after? It felt like the story evaded giving us a conclusive ending.
    They changed and omitted some things, about Ri-chan and Kaoru…it doesn’t explicitly state that they end up together but there are a lot of things for us to safely assume they are going to end up together.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I agree with Desy. the whole ending seemed a bit rushed. Would really love to see more about grown-up Sen, Bon and Ritsuko
    Well…there is a lot more about grown-up Kaoru in the manga, in fact, we get to see part of his life at college. But yeah, I agree, I would love to see more about Sen and Ri-chan.

Quote Quote:
    I'm fine with the ending though, it really catched my heart and I was constantly smiling while I watched the last minutes.
    Even though, they omitted and changed some things, I enjoyed the episode more than I thought I would. It was a very good episode and merit should be given to the director and the anime team for making such a good episode despite how much they had to cut and change.

Quote Quote:
    Sen and Bon's combo in the church made me go all happy, just closed my eyes and listened
    It totally reminded me of their good times during HS. I like how the say hello to each other after all those years using the magic of music.

Quote Quote:
    I will really miss the show, it appeared a bit rushed at times (well it's a given when you need to compress everything into 12 episodes) but nevertheless it was so beautiful and well-executed. Definitely the best show of this spring season
    I agree. It was a wonderful series and definitely one of my favorite series of this season. It was a lot of fun discussing this series! ^_^

30. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast