Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sakamichi no Apollon

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sakamichi no Apollon

Sakamichi no Apollon

Synopsis
    The beginning of summer, 1966.

Because of his father’s job situation, freshman high school student Kaoru Nishimi moves by himself from Yokosuka to Kyushu to live with relatives. Until then, Kaoru was an honor roll student who tended to keep to himself, but meeting notorious bad boy Sentaro Kawabuchi starts to change him. Through his devil-may-care classmate, Kaoru learns the attractions of jazz and finds the first person he can call a “friend”. He also discovers how much fun it is to play music with a pal.

Other characters include Sentaro’s kind childhood chum, Ritsuko, who is the daughter of a record shop owner; the mysterious upperclassman, Yurika; and Brother Jun, the much-admired leader among their peers. Set against the backdrop of a seaside town with a scent of American culture, this series is a drama about young people coming into their own, crossing each other’s paths, and finding friendship, love, and music!

Opening Theme:
    "Sakamichi no Melody" by YUKI

Ending Theme:
    "Altair" by Motohiro Hata

Japanese staff
    Spoiler show

Japanese cast
    Spoiler show
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

This looks like it's going to be an awesome series! One of my favourite anime directors is handling it, Yoko Kanno's doing the music (I loved Bebop's soundtrack!) and the animation looks pretty great! It kind of looks like a retro version of Beck xD!

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy who did Bebop and Champloo? Am I seeing things, this is set for epicness indeed! The setting is promising, historical anime rarely turn out to be good though. But this director can not go wrong.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Just by curiosity have you read the few chapters translated or are you only watching the anime ?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m very glad to see that I’m not the only one looking forward to this anime.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Just by curiosity have you read the few chapters translated or are you only watching the anime ?
    I haven’t read the manga, I’ve just watched the two PVs of this series and they look great!

BTW, here’s the second PV.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The PV are promising indeed, the first chapter of the manga is quite standard and nothing out of the ordinary to be honest but I think the fun will start once they start playing music. The solo battery of Sentarou looks nice.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The PV are promising indeed, the first chapter of the manga is quite standard and nothing out of the ordinary to be honest but I think the fun will start once they start playing music. The solo battery of Sentarou looks nice.
    Yes, I also think the real story will begin once the band is formed and I know it is very early to say this but I already like Sentarou very much.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Really ! How surprising :-)
    I must say his marine outfit gives him a Corto Maltese feeling.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A what feeling? What is Corto Maltese?

Episode 1

Great first episode!

I liked the OP a lot! The OP song…is so catchy and amazing at the same time.

Because of various reasons the first episode of this anime reminded me of Honey and Clover and Clannad’s first ep…

The episode introduced us to what I think will be the main characters of the story, Sentarou, Ri-chan and last but certainly not least, Kaoru.

Sentarou. Free-spirited, cool and an awesome drummer. He is considered the school bully but that is not the truth. Yes, he is a great fighter, I mean beating 3 seniors is not an easy thing to do, but he is no bully. The only friend he seems to have at school is Ri-chan, his childhood friend. Ri-chan is a sweet, kind and smart girl; and the class prez. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that Ri-chan likes Sentarou, but I’m not sure about Sentarou’s feelings for Ri-chan…However, of one thing I’m sure and that is that Karou has fallen for Ri-chan. Kaoru, who so far IMHO is the most interesting character, is a navy brat who has moved from place to place various times during his childhood and adolescence because of his father’s job and whose mother abandoned him when he was young. He lives with an aunt who is not very caring and a cousin who is not very nice. However, thanks to him meeting Sentarou and Ri-chan his life is about to change and he is going to experience friendship, love, fun and the freeing and empowering power of music. And since I’ve mentioned music, I can’t wait to listen to Sentarou and Karou playing jazz together!!!

And I couldn’t finish this post without posting the great piece of jazz that was used during this ep, here’s:

Moanin' - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

I can’t wait for Sentarou and Karou to play this piece together!!

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You really looked far ahead Desy, sounded like a very good description of the show to me!

I enjoyed the first episode too, Sentarou and Kaoru both seem to be interesting characters and as I actually like Jazz I wanted to give the show a try. I ended up enjoying the first ep more than I thought so I'm definitely going to watch this one, as Desy mentioned I can't wait to see both of them play together!

Only thing I didn't like was the kinda girlish drawing style of the two male characters, their first meeting gave me a shounen-ai vibe @@

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

^ True. And the PV kind of made it look like that kind of series. But I think it's due to watching too much anime and reading too much manga that we seem to reach those conclusions. If this had been one of my first anime series I probably wouldn't think anything of the sort.

Anyway, my most anticipated series of the season has surpassed my expectations! Episode 1 was a very enjoyable premier, and everything looked so beautiful as well as realistic. The scene with Sentaro playing the drums was just awesome. Can't wait to see the Jazz band play together!

Sentaro does look like Corto Maltese! Plus Kaoru's dad is a sailor

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Crude; April 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    You really looked far ahead Desy, sounded like a very good description of the show to me!
    Well you know that I like to make theories about the series I’m watching, narutonii-kun. ^_^

Quote Quote:
    I enjoyed the first episode too, Sentarou and Kaoru both seem to be interesting characters and as I actually like Jazz I wanted to give the show a try. I ended up enjoying the first ep more than I thought so I'm definitely going to watch this one,
    Glad to see you joining this thread!

Quote Quote:
    as Desy mentioned I can't wait to see both of them play together!
    That is going to be an awesome moment for sure!

Quote Quote:
    Only thing I didn't like was the kinda girlish drawing style of the two male characters, their first meeting gave me a shounen-ai vibe @@
    I guess both Sentarou and Karou are drawn in that way for fanservice reasons, I mean, I think both of them are very cute and handsome. And about their first encounter…Sentarou thought Karou was an angel hence his reaction. I guess the anime team added a few more details and as a result they intentionally or unintentionally gave that scene a shounen-ai vibe because when reading that page on the manga you don’t feel that at all, at least I didn’t.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    The scene with Sentaro playing the drums was just awesome. Can't wait to see the Jazz band play together!
    Awesome indeed!
    He is a brilliant drummer and you can easy feel his passion for jazz when he plays the drums.

Quote Quote:
    Sentaro does look like Corto Maltese! Plus Kaoru's dad is a sailor

Spoiler show
    Thank you for the pic and for answering my question!

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hold it, hold it. The idea of musical anime invites me so much, but reading the word 'shounen-ai'... Please don't. My last experience with No. 6 was still fresh.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe it is only one scene don't worry. After, it is more the traditional love triangle with 2 boys and 1 girl.

Destiny, Corto maltese is a 'famous' french comic from hugo pratt. The hero is a very manly sailor, there must be plenty of pictures of him on google. It's a nice lecture btw.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just seen first episode. My impression: This is going to be exciting.

The opening of the OP caught me quite much, I should say. I'm not yet fond of the latter part, but I think I will like it over time, LOL~ The characters look interesting. It gives me the feeling of slice of life so much looking at Kaoru and positioning myself in his shoes, I don't know why. His feelings are natural, and so are his encounters with Sentaro and Ri-chan. Awesome music too. This is going to be the first time I'm involved with jazz in anime, so looking forward to it!

I see what you mean with the shounen-ai now, LOL~ The art reminds me of Kimi ni Todoke to be honest. The slice of life feeling too. It gives the vibe that art is not something the series wants to show; more to the messages and how they will grow. I'm very much looking forward to that. At certain point I prefer this kind of art more than amazing ones as it makes you feel laid back, comfortable, and can enjoy the other aspects of the anime.

Definitely gonna see this through. Yay for me finding new gonna-be-favorite-from-the-looks-of-it anime, and thanks to all your comments that help to draw me to watch the series! ^__^

26. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast