Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 127

Thread: Sakamichi no Apollon

  1. #46
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Episode 5

    This series is amazing!! And this week’s episode was…wonderful~

    - There is no easy way to break someone’s heart, especially if that heart belongs to a dear friend; however, one must be honest and Ri-chan did just that in this episode. In…the most subtle way Ri-chan could find, she finally gave Kaoru an answer to his confession. She forgave him for stealing her first kiss, but…she couldn’t reciprocate his feelings. It was painful to see Kaoru’s heart breaking while Ri-chan confirmed that she liked someone else and thus she couldn’t say “yes” to his confession.

    - I had mixed emotions/feelings during that scene. On the one hand, I was sad because Kaoru’s heart was breaking but on the other hand…Sen’s reaction when he heard that Riko liked someone…it gave me some hope regarding a possible Ri-chan x Sen pairing and I admit…I do like Ri-chan x Sen.

    - This episode made me liked Sen so much more than before. He is such a great guy and he has a heart of gold. He really cares about Kaoru…even though he admires Jun very much; I think Sen considers Kaoru his best friend.

    - The meeting between Kaoru and his mom…was real and touching.

    - It seems Kaoru and Ri-chan’s friendship is ready to be restored and I’m glad Kaoru’s heart has started to heal.

    - Now…regarding Jun and his beautiful blue eyes, he has been missing for a month, I wonder where he is. And there were two important things we learned about Jun in this episode: 1) Yurika has totally fallen for Jun and has been sending him letters. 2) Jun is a ladies’ man.

    After this awesome episode is going to be very hard to wait for the next one!!

    ---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    But can you really call them friends as they are now? The healing process that may allow them to become friends once more, cannot begin until she shuts down his advances.
    You are right. And that’s why Ri-chan gathered enough courage to give Kaoru an answer in this week’s episode. Thankfully the healing process has begun and Kaoru and Ri-chan are friends again.

    Quote Quote:
    I don't know, I mean, a lot of american people are shy with their feelings, but when they finally say them, they make them clear and exact. I just don't see that in Manga. Its short of like how Japanese people rarely use the word Daisuki, and when they do its often a joke. More often, the most they will say to the one they love is Suki, so even though Daisuki is a closer translation of love, Suki is their limit.
    I understand your point now and yes, you might be right, maybe it is a cultural thing…

    Quote Quote:
    Haha, thanks for inviting me.
    You’re very welcome. ^_^
    Last edited by destiny4ever; May 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #47
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Damn it! Sen is an amazing guy, but I wont give up. Keep fighting Kaoru! Ganbatte KaoruXRi-chan!

    ---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

    Or maybe a second heroin could be introduced... I don't want the series to end with Kaoru alone; all people should find love! haha, if only...

  4. #48
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    Damn it! Sen is an amazing guy, but I wont give up. Keep fighting Kaoru! Ganbatte KaoruXRi-chan!
    Sen is a great guy and…while I really like the idea of a Sen x Richan pairing, I also like Kaoru x Ri-chan very much. In fact, I thin Kaoru deserves Ri-chan a little more than Sen. And this is a crazy theory but I have a feeling that Sen will start developing feelings for Ri-chan at some point in the story but by the time Sen realizes how amazing and pretty of a girl Ri-chan is, Ri-chan’s heart won’t be Sen’s anymore because by that time Ri-chan’s heart will belong to Kaoru.

    Quote Quote:
    Or maybe a second heroin could be introduced... I don't want the series to end with Kaoru alone; all people should find love! haha, if only...
    I don’t want for Kaoru to give on Ri-chan yet because the possibility of Ri-chan falling in love with Kaoru is still very present.

    Btw, I read the content of this week’s episode in the manga and it is more awesome than in the anime. There are some important details about Kaoru’s mom that didn’t make it into the episode and that are really important because they help us understand Kaoru’s mom and why she left Kaoru behind.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

  5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #49
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    I've been listening to the full version of opening all day, I'm not even sure what genre it is, but its brilliant. haha, I love Japanese Music

  7. #50
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Sweet episode~ I'm glad for Kaoru in this episode. I like how it is very dynamic and natural: his awkwardness, his meeting with his long lost mother, and his decision to overcome his own discomfort and opened up to the others again like before. I can't see how this will turn up. ^^

    P.S.: Look at that amazing chain of Sen --> blushing because of Yurika --> blushing because of Jun, mwahahahahaha~

    Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Sen is a great guy and…while I really like the idea of a Sen x Richan pairing, I also like Kaoru x Ri-chan very much. In fact, I thin Kaoru deserves Ri-chan a little more than Sen. And this is a crazy theory but I have a feeling that Sen will start developing feelings for Ri-chan at some point in the story but by the time Sen realizes how amazing and pretty of a girl Ri-chan is, Ri-chan’s heart won’t be Sen’s anymore because by that time Ri-chan’s heart will belong to Kaoru.
    I totally agree, gosh.

    I don't see it happening some time near since Sen is at the moment charmed by Yurika. Perhaps until he realized Yurika likes Jun, after confession and being rejected like Kaoru did that he started to open up to Ri-chan... Hold on. Now we are totally thinking of a backward love chain!



    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    I've been listening to the full version of opening all day, I'm not even sure what genre it is, but its brilliant. haha, I love Japanese Music
    I didn't know the full version of the OP is out. Sounds like worth a try indeed, given how I like the TV version.

  8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #51
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon


  10. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  11. #52
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morioh Town
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    This is one of those series that really deserves more episodes. I don't really have a problem with the pacing, but you can sort of tell that events are somewhat rushed (this last episode in particular). The pacing is much better compared to some past noitaminA shows though (slow pacing throughout most of the show and then suddenly it's like your on a rollercoaster).

    If I had to describe the last episode in one word, it would probably be "Bromance". It was a very "Mother's Day-esque" episode as well

  12. #53
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    This is one of those series that really deserves more episodes. I don't really have a problem with the pacing, but you can sort of tell that events are somewhat rushed (this last episode in particular). The pacing is much better compared to some past noitaminA shows though (slow pacing throughout most of the show and then suddenly it's like your on a rollercoaster).

    If I had to describe the last episode in one word, it would probably be "Bromance". It was a very "Mother's Day-esque" episode as well
    Haha, you just contradicted yourself, the speed at which events flow is part of pacing, so if you feel they are rushed, then you feel the pacing is rushed. Just saying, XD. At any rate, I can't wait for the next episode.

    ---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

    That aside, I guess Phio, Destiny, and I are on the same team? Lol, it may not seem very manly, but whenever I read a romance, I always play fanboy for my favorite couple. Haha, if you were sitting next to me you'd think I lost my mind, the way I jump up and down.

    ---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

    Sorry, I know that was off topic, but the point is KaoruXRi-chan!!!
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; May 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM.

  13. #54
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morioh Town
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Yeah I guess I did contradict myself . What I mean is that you can tell that the anime is moving fast and skipping some stuff from the manga, but that I actually don't mind the pace. I really just want the show to have more episodes so that I can enjoy it a little longer, and it would probably be better to see parts of the manga that were skipped animated.

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #55
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Btw, I read the content of this week’s episode in the manga and it is more awesome than in the anime. There are some important details about Kaoru’s mom that didn’t make it into the episode and that are really important because they help us understand Kaoru’s mom and why she left Kaoru behind.
    I really don't understand why they skipped so much from the scene between Kaoru and his mom. It was such an important scene and I'm a bit disappointed they choose to cut it. Also they changed the reason why Juni left the university, I hope it won't make a plot hole later.
    I'm afraid with such a fast pace they will catch the manga to soon.

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #56
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Destiny4ever hasn't commented on the latest released episode yet, so I feel weird talking about it, none-the-less I hope she will permit me to strike the first stake.

    Anyways it looks like Kaoru has another shot at impressing Ri-chan; by playing the song from the "sound of music" for her he might get closer to her. Well, I say that, but it would require him to get over his insecurities first. Right now it seems as if he has given up on her, because even though helping her get closer to Sen might draw her closer to him instead, his reluctance to make any moves when the chance appears (such as playing the song for her) will get him nowhere. Moreover, his new discord with Sen, makes him look shallow and immature; hardly something that would appease the opposite sex.


    Rather than running away, I'd have preferred him to talk to Sen and tell him his worries; because if anything would change Sen's mind, it would be Kaoru's feelings. I believe Sen is a very caring and empathetic guy, -which is why he's helping this weird singer boy in the first place- but above all, he cares about his friends. TALK, you'd be surprised, but it solves problems.

    Was that Jun we saw in the bar? I thought he was off playing with women, but it seems something even crueler has befallen him. And I think this confirms our previous fear that Yurika is using Sen, because as soon as she found out that Jun might be staying with someone she immediately set up a date with Sen. And I was so hoping it was one of the other two options; that she had initially had feelings for Sen but fell for Juni instead, or that she didn't realize she was provoking his feelings and leading him on. Well now it seems Sen is reduced to comfort food.
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; May 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

  18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  19. #57
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morioh Town
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    This last episode was a little surreal. The new character introduced looked like he belonged to another anime, one not as realistic as Sakamichi no Apollon. The way he acts plus that little fang of his makes his presence feel a little off when compared to the anime's other characters. Another weird thing was that track playing before the commercial break, I mean it sounded more like something you'd hear in Samurai Champloo rather than in this anime. This episode made remember that at one point The Beatles were kind of like a boy band during their first years and that probably a lot of guys tried to emulate them just to get girls xD. I love how they included My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music (loved that movie when I was a kid, a kid who hated musicals mind you xD). Kaoru did go a little over the top with his outburst at the end, but at least he did admit that he acted like a child.

    By the way, when I searched for My Favorite Things on YouTube I came across this:



    I had no idea Coltrane had done a Jazz version of the song. Made the inclusion of the song in the anime feel all the more relevant to me

    EDIT: When the episode told the story of Apollo and Daphne a thought crossed my mind: Apollon is a different spelling of Apollo right? So the literal translation of the series' title would be "Apollo of the Slope", with Apollo referring to Sen maybe? Also, to be honest I prefer the English title they added to the anime, "Kids on the Slope", over the Japanese title.
    Last edited by Crude; May 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

  20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #58
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Interesting, but if you listen to the piano in the jazz version and the piano in the classical version, you'd see that Kaoru was playing the classical version, which made Sen's drumming to it extremely weird. It didn't mesh; that was my initial opinion when I first heard it, and its only stronger now that I have seen the video CrudeCross posted.

    ---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

    To be honest, it sounded like crap to me. Sen, you have to change your drumming to match the music! I don't know, even if he loves Jazz, as a drummer he should be able to play elements of classic, Latin and rock too. In fact doing so, would only make his Jazz better. I say this as a fact because I am a drummer myself.

    ---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

    As for the new character I think he was acting queer because he is a queer.

  22. #59
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morioh Town
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    Yeah the new character seems to have a thing for Sen xD. And I agree about his drumming not really matching Kaoru's piano. Cool to know that there's a drummer in this discussion thread !

  23. #60
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sakamichi no Apollon

    haha, not a good one though, I don't practice! XD Anyways, I really want to read Destiny4Ever's impression on this episode, her fangirl-gasm makes her so cute, and it's always so exciting to read.

  24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts