Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steins;Gate

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Steins;Gate

Synopsis:
    Steins;Gate is set in the summer of 2010, approximately one year after the events that took place in Chaos;Head, in Akihabara.

Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.

(Source: VNDB & Wiki)

Number of episodes: 24
    Producers: Frontier Works, White Fox
    Genres: Sci-Fi, Thriller

Theme song performance:
    "Hacking to the gate" by Kanako Itou
    "Tokitsukasadoru Jūni no Meiyaku" by Yui Sakakibara

Japanese Cast:
    Spoiler show

Japanese Staff:
    Spoiler show

Source: ANN
    Last edited by Zeltrax; July 20, 2011 at 05:58 AM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steins;Gate

The first episode was quite interesting.The comedy was rather meh at some points,but in some moments it was brilliant,like when the mad doctor ran away laughing like a lunatic.The young girl (Mayuri was it?) was adorable.

I wonder in what direction this will go.The plot is really intriguing,so it could get very deep,but the setting itself and the characters are quite weird,so it could become something like Level E.I'm looking forward to the next episode.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too impressed by the pilot. It was very bleak and confusing, yet the suspense didn't take a hold of me. Though hardly anything happened. It was mainly setting up characters and setting. And the whole time traveling thing didn't come to play untill the last minutes of the show. I might watch next episode or two to see if it starts to make more sense or be more intriguing, but as of now, doesn't seem like it.

And I suppose the scifist main character blabbering about conspiracies and futuristic gadgets was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. Neither was the childiss moe-girl nor the the hacker geek.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Destiny’s reaction after watching the first episode:

After watching the first episode all I could think of was “what did I just watch?” Watching the first episode left me with a puzzling feeling. The first episode was weird, at least to me it was.

Tbh, watching the first episode made me want to drop this anime. However, the last scene made me very curious and that added to the fact that the male lead’s seiyuu is Miyano Mamoru, one of my favorite male seiyuu , was enough to make me reconsider and decide to give this anime one more chance.

Hopefully the second episode will be better. And since I’ve mentioned Miyano Mamoru, during some parts of the episode I felt as if I was watching Kira (from Death Note) in mad-scientist mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    The young girl (Mayuri was it?) was adorable.
    I agree. She was very adorable and very naïve as well. I couldn’t believe how she obediently repeated that phrase about a banana being fluffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    It was very bleak and confusing, yet the suspense didn't take a hold of me.
    I couldn’t have described it better myself. I felt the same way.
    Maybe it was because I watched the first episode of this series after watching the awesome first episode of “Tiger and Bunny” so my expectations were higher, but yeah, the fist episode wasn’t very good. I hope this series is the same as TLOTLH in the sense that it had a horrible first episode but the rest were pretty great.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 04, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Setting up twists and creating suspense is what this thriller does in its first episode, and after paying close attention, it might be possible to figure out what happening.
    Might still be a theory but I think what really happened was the main character time traveled from the past to the future instead of sending things to the past. This is because of the phone message and also because of the professor(he remembered him lecturing,not running away from the lecture) so there's a chance that the professor ran away 2 weeks later, after the lecture happened. I think the moment the satelight crashes is the moment that guy time traveled.
    But I can't explain how the red haired girl is alive tho, that is unless it was the other way round, he time traveled to the future when the girl died and then time traveled back to when she's still alive

Anyway, putting my theory aside I think that this episode is okay, it may be a little weak in the suspense part but I like the Okarin's character, delusional and weird, in a funny way. He kind of reminds me of Chaos;head main character, a delusional guy too, but not in a funny way
    I thought the gachapon's cat-like toy as an easter egg to chaos;head's gecko toy, maybe in the future it'll have some kind of relation to the story like chaos;head.
    Another similarity I found is at one point where everyone disappears except for the main character, this scene also reminds me of Chaos;head.

The cast's(only 3 now) interactions were fun to watch IMO, Mayuri is so adorable and the Hacker is funny.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Manga Database 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner tethysdust's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not hooked by the first episode. I didn't really care for the characters, so my mind kept wandering while I was trying to pay attention to the convoluted plot. I dunno, I'll probably watch the second episode to see if it grows on me. I really want it to, because I want to see more about SERN.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems all of us are really looking forward to episode 2, either because I enjoyed episode 1 or because episode 2 will be the factor deciding if we continue watching this anime or not. Anyway, here’s the preview of episode 2:

Preview

Mmm…I don’t know if this is good or bad…but the part that caught my attention the most about that preview was the song playing during the preview, it was cool.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    It seems all of us are really looking forward to episode 2, either because I enjoyed episode 1 or because episode 2 will be the factor deciding if we continue watching this anime or not. Anyway, here’s the preview of episode 2:

Preview

Mmm…I don’t know if this is good or bad…but the part that caught my attention the most about that preview was the song playing during the preview, it was cool.
    remind of other series .. they kill each other and future text and became god... did you know what is title ?
    hard to determine to good or bad anime in my view .. but you got point about preview ... i will give chance since i fall love with naive girl ... mmm I think Naive girl do has power travel time since red hair was warning to Okarin ... or is he insane with time machine theory

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2

This episode gave us more questions than answers
    Okarin is still delusional about the organization and being a madmanscientist.
    I like the opening, the animation is good and the song fits the theme of the show perfectly.

Anyway,
    All of the characters in the promotional poster were introduced.
    This ruka person..seriously had me, I totally thought he was a she.
    And she was so cute too ..Ruka is in love with Okarin but it is impossible and unrequited love
    Okarin's a jerk and I laughed at the 980 yen sword comment.

Okay.. so this john titor guy was introduced, a time traveller who talked about how time works and that might actually be an answer to this.
    I think Okarin is living in a "second time" where he did not witness the stabbing and Makise is still alive, as explained by John Titor.
    The Grandfather paradox was also mentioned, anyway for those who are interested:
    Spoiler show

It's kindda weird they put this in for something like this, I don't really understand the link..yet.

I think stopping the world from ending seems like be the ultimate goal in this anime with hints here and there. Then, there's also the computer that cannot be obtained in the present. Did it time traveled from the past?
    The last part of this about the oven, it should not be a teleporter but a time machine that sends items back to the past as stated in the summary
    Makise is an interesting heroine so far, that completely rejects the idea of time traveling in contrast to Okarin .

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought episode 2 was a notable improvement to the pilot. Pacing, editing and cuts were better and it was more easier to follow. Also comedy worked better imho, I couldn't stop giggling during the time travel lection. Also the new characters introduced were more interesting than the ones in the pilot. And Okarin is growing on me; love his mad scientist laugh. Still not too fond of the bit pale palette, but I guess it fits the mood. Might slip to too comical if the colors were brighter. Also it kept up my interest, as in the pilot my thoughst kept wandering off. I like how John Titor seems to be a central thing.

And the opening is damn cool.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, John titor is actually a person irl.
    I never would have thought of that and never knew that.
    Good tidbit of knowledge and I wonder where they are going with this..

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2 was better than episode 1. Although I’m not 100% sold on this anime yet, I’m going to continue watching it.

- The “trap” we had in this episode was…perfect, because Ruka looks and behaves just like a girl. Until the trap was revealed I was convinced she was a cute and beautiful girl. I would have loved to see the expression on Okarin’s face when he first found out about Ruka being a boy.

- The time paradox that was introduced in this episode completely reminded of Clannad and it did help me understand things better.

- The last scene of the episode was as good as the one from the first episode in the sense that it made me curious enough to look forward to the next episode.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They are sending messages into the past by means of a cell phone, Mirai Nikki anyone? Episode 3 helped me be less confused but my mind can't really figure out what happened in epi1. I also get the feeling that John Tutor is someone in the story that we've already met, possibly a main character, thinking of time traveling possibilities are a headache.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3

I’m sold on this series, and this episode is the main reason for that happening. Great episode!

- I know I have mentioned this before, and maybe it is because they are both geniuses, each in their own way of course and their seiyuu is the same person, but I keep thinking of Light from Death Note every time Okarin says something. Well…I also thought of Tamaki from Ouran during some scenes.

- “Steins;Gate” Cristina said: “He’s mixing up his German and English." I wonder what Steins means in German, what would be the translation of the word Steins in English?

- The opening, both the animation and the song, are pretty cool and it fits the anime very well.

- “I would say the person with the perverted imagination is the pervert”. My new favorite quote because it is very true.

- I enjoyed the interactions between Okarin and Cristina…some of them were pretty funny, like when they were accusing each other of being perverts.

- Can Mayuri be any more adorable? She is so cute and sweet; she is very different from Cristina but I have a feeling they will become good friends.

- This episode was very informative and it helped me understand things better, and wow, so the phone microwave is a time machine. It does do something way cooler than just melting bananas.

- I know it wouldn’t be the easiest thing to believe in, but it does make me curious why Cristina is refusing so profusely to even give the benefit of the doubt to the possibility that a time machine can exist especially when she was there when the text message was sent to the past.

- “Human is dead”…could they be referring to Cristina’s death, the one Okarin saw happening in that other time line?

-And what is the Z-project? Mmm...could that be the name of the project SERN is working on to create a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    They are sending messages into the past by means of a cell phone, Mirai Nikki anyone?
    Who is Mirai Nikki?

Quote Quote:
    Episode 3 helped me be less confused but my mind can't really figure out what happened in epi1.
    My mind did the same it did with the first episode of TLOTLH, it blocked it and it took episode 2 as being the first episode of the series.

Quote Quote:
    I also get the feeling that John Tutor is someone in the story that we've already met, possibly a main character, thinking of time traveling possibilities are a headache.
    That is a very interesting theory, Aki. . In fact, it reminds me of a theory of another fan. Here’s the theory:

Spoiler:  Smithla’s theory show

I think smithla’s theory makes sense and could be a very plausible one, what do you think guys?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 20, 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Drago's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast