Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who would win GARP vs. Blackbeard w/ GGNM? Support Answer

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would win GARP vs. Blackbeard w/ GGNM? Support Answer

I'm pretty sure Blackbeard was really talking about ambition here. Don't forget his goal was the yami yami no mi and so he tried to stay low what would be impossible as a division captain. So I don't think there is any talk about haki here.

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

ambition = haki . ambition is how haki is called. haki is just the japanese name http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Haki . in fact,there there was a double meaning,but I'm sure BB was referring to the King haki,especially since after that we saw ace able to use it (during the war ace confirmed that himself,and then in sabo's flashback)
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; April 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

In chapter 552, Blackbeard does not refer to neither haki nor king's haki. First off, both SVG and cnet128 translated it to ambition instead of using "Haki" as name which is a first glue since cnet128 didn't translate haki and used it as name when Marguerite referred to it as power to imbue her arrows in his translation of chapter 516.

And then Teach says "KI" but not "HAKI" in the raw. (I don't think I have to post a picture here, do I?) So he's only mentioning that he's not aiming for becoming a division commander.

Spoiler: Translation issues, IMVHO show

Both of Teach's fights against Ace and Luffy aren't that clear on whether or not Teach can use haki because Oda brought up the part about Bleackbeard's DF power does make him able to touch the body of logia users. The only hint to me is that he is able to hit Ace without having him touched with Kurouzu before - Blackbeard said that he needs to touch an ability user.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

it's a double meaning nonetheless. I interpret it that way,you choose your own way. Btw,after that we saw ace possessing the King Haki,so the interpretation I gave wasn't so unlikely.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* No, it's not a double meaning. It's pretty simple instead. You're just overthink things on one literal translation of the power called "Haki" and figuratively correct translations of the japanes tems "ki" and "haki" (used NOT to describe the power called "haki") and then turn it the way it fits to your theory.

It becomes just VERY clear once you just take a look at the raw of chapter 552 that Blackbeard was not at all referring to Ace having haki. Ace showing the Haoushoku in the flashback is a reference to his "You, too?!" on the scaffold after Luffy used his Haoushoku to stop the executioners.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah,I was referring to that picture in the war,when I said that ace had haoushoku. anyway,since BB could give shanks his worst scar,and since he was quite known among WB's pirates (WB mentioned him when he was drinking with roger,and ace asked him whether he wanted to become captain or not),I think the others knw he wasn't weak and that he had haki,although they didn't expect him to be so strong. what I mean is that this statement of volume 52 might have been the first step to introduce ace's haki and BB's too. Don't cry (your "sigh" ),I may be wrong,but when the truth will come out you may agree with me.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member frontaLobotomy's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The fight would probably go to Blackbeard, he's one of the Yonkou now, so that makes him a big deal. I still don't think Teach can use Haki, and him using 2 Devil Fruits is his way of compensating. But Garp is old, his era is over. Grap's son or grandson on the other hand...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frontaLobotomy View Post
    The fight would probably go to Blackbeard, he's one of the Yonkou now, so that makes him a big deal. I still don't think Teach can use Haki, and him using 2 Devil Fruits is his way of compensating. But Garp is old, his era is over. Grap's son or grandson on the other hand...
    That doesnt exactly make him a god. Like people have said numerous times, being a Yonkou does not equal great combat ability. Whitebeard and Shanks seem to be the only real monsters and the ones who even the Marines highest ranks seem to fear or respect.

I think Garp would give the coward BB a serious beating. Were not talking about Eras here, simple fight to the death no PIS or CIS involved. And i think Garp would take the win.

Edit: Just realized the last post was in April
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner solarenergy's Avatar
    Country
    Maldives
    Post Thanks / Like

as strong as garp is i dont think he is strong enough to take on blackbeard simply because he posses two of the strongest dfs in op

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2