Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Techniques Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    I mean, we don't really see any difference between them (except the one that hurt Marui)
    You're saying that, there's no difference between a move that strikes the opponent's throat (Gunshot) and a move that strikes the opponent's feet (Cement Shoes)?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    You're saying that, there's no difference between a move that strikes the opponent's throat (Gunshot) and a move that strikes the opponent's feet (Cement Shoes)?
    In PoT world, no. It's just a shot aimed in a different place, but the shot itself it's not different (none of them is more effective against any situation, he just hits them as if they were regular shots).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a question about Shukuchihou.

It has been stated that Shukuchihou is caused by the player keeping his head still while moving to create the illusion of instantaneous movement. Even though it is an illusion, the players still teleport and move very quickly.

So what is Shukuchihou really? It's hard enough to catch up to a Zero-shiki, Higuma Otoshi or Cord Ball using normal movement but how does running with your head still allow you to catch up to such shots and return as a volley?

Can someone clarify for me? Is it an illusion or speed boost?
    "Sorry, but I never lose to the same opponent twice." - Fuji

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sai
    Moving your lower body without moving the upper.
    But also moving faster by pushing off your steps faster and pushing the feet down faster than a natural pace.
    The only part that's an illusion is appearing from the baseline to the net instantaneously. They're still moving in such a way that it takes them much less time to get between both spots.
    1c

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Shusuke View Post
    Just a question about Shukuchihou.

It has been stated that Shukuchihou is caused by the player keeping his head still while moving to create the illusion of instantaneous movement. Even though it is an illusion, the players still teleport and move very quickly.

So what is Shukuchihou really? It's hard enough to catch up to a Zero-shiki, Higuma Otoshi or Cord Ball using normal movement but how does running with your head still allow you to catch up to such shots and return as a volley?

Can someone clarify for me? Is it an illusion or speed boost?
    I think it's another version of Kikumaru step. A player move already, but they are only shown at their final destination, with the old one disappearing as soon as the real one end his step. It's probably both illusion and speed boost.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shukuchihou is a speed buff but it also has an illusion part because adjusting to speed is one of the easier things to do in POT. Shukuchihou's illusion hides its inherent speed so that your opponent might think you're really not that fast and fall for it multiple times.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Shikuchi is an illusionary technique by nature. This isn't a move that Konomi created just for the Prince of Tennis. It's an actual East Asian martial arts move that was used by samurai and swordsmen back in the days of war. It's an illusion in that the user makes it seem like they are erasing the 'distance' between them and their opponent. Shikuchi means "Reducing the Ground [Between One And Another]." It is even called teleportation in some circles.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; December 16, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shikuchi could mean teleportation though that'd usually be in context of stuff that looks more like Naruto.

I looked up the Wikipedia article under the Japanse page and it says the legends say masters of this technique can move tens of meters in an instant. Of course that'd mean masters of this tech can move considerably faster than Usain Bolt without even a running start, but that's probably why it's a legend. In light of this the distance covered by the POT counterparts is comparable to what the legends would say.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Shikuchi could mean teleportation though that'd usually be in context of stuff that looks more like Naruto.

I looked up the Wikipedia article under the Japanse page and it says the legends say masters of this technique can move tens of meters in an instant. Of course that'd mean masters of this tech can move considerably faster than Usain Bolt without even a running start, but that's probably why it's a legend. In light of this the distance covered by the POT counterparts is comparable to what the legends would say.
    Over ten meters sounds a bit legit. Since the tennis court isn't too big. But more than 10 meters sounds far from like a legend.
    It's where they almost leap-run across in a straight line so they got somewhere extremely fast, and if their upper body stays still in a fight it would look like they came out of nowhere.

Then again the Amazing legendary Usain Bolt is nothing to Oshitari Kenya who sprints across water in PoT so it depends how far we can step into the real world to explain this.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Over ten meters sounds a bit legit. Since the tennis court isn't too big. But more than 10 meters sounds far from like a legend.
    It's where they almost leap-run across in a straight line so they got somewhere extremely fast, and if their upper body stays still in a fight it would look like they came out of nowhere.

Then again the Amazing legendary Usain Bolt is nothing to Oshitari Kenya who sprints across water in PoT so it depends how far we can step into the real world to explain this.
    I saw some scans from the POT sourcebooks that indicates people in POT are considerably slower than Usain Bolt on the 40m. Tezuka is supposed to be barely above average in terms of physical abilities compared to a varsity middle school tennis player. Then again the same source book also says according to physics, the Hado mid teens have a speed of 230 km/h which is sufficient to knock a guy into stands, never mind that people can actually hit 230km/h quite easily in real life and you sure don't see people flying into stands.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

never mind that people can actually hit 230km/h quite easily in real life
    no

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    no
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest..._tennis_serves

I know that serves in real life are a lot faster than rallies but this is apparently not true in POT (the fastest serve recorded in POT is 215 km/h, presumably faster serves like Mach Serve do not have a km/h value). Rallies are apparently where the vast majority of powerful moves are used so you'd have to compare them to the serve in their real life counterpart.
    Last edited by Phantron; December 16, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest..._tennis_serves

I know that serves in real life are a lot faster than rallies but this is apparently not true in POT (the fastest serve recorded in POT is 215 km/h, presumably faster serves like Mach Serve do not have a km/h value). Rallies are apparently where the vast majority of powerful moves are used so you'd have to compare them to the serve in their real life counterpart.
    ? Stop saying BS all the time bro, I wasn't talking about serves and neither were you, you said this:

never mind that people can actually hit 230km/h quite easily in real life
    It isn't true, at all.
    Last edited by Hardy; December 17, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Little fun fact, but a lot of moves in PoT are very loosely based on real martial arts moves. Take Fuji's Kirin Otoshi which is an obvious homage to the famous Ono-ha Ittō-ryū technique, the Kiri Otoshi.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this the other day. Niou's Ilussion really lets him synchro with anyone? I mean, yeah, he can become a Mutsu (to synchro with another Mutsu), Kikumaru (to synchro with Oishi), and probably any other player in a synchro pair... but what about non synchro pairs?

In his match with Atobe, that synchro probably only worked cause Atobe is an arrogant jerk... would that work with Kaidoh for example? Maybe we overestimated his doubles skills...

New Reply
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast