Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Guide for Game Masters

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Guide for Game Masters

So you want to be a Game Master? First time starting a Role Play? Want to learn some basics? Want to start your own RP? Well here are some basic suggestions that you might want to use if you are a beginner in this sort of thing. Everyone that wants to add suggestions for beginners and new comers please feel free to post them here in any manner you want.

1. IDEA: How do I find a story idea?

Ideas can come from movies, books, manga, and other media you've enjoyed. Though not necessarily original, you can borrow bits and pieces, like a setting, a backstory, or maybe just a methodology of writing action scenes (example: One Piece has various battle orientated specifics already worked out.) If you are more experienced or ambitious, you can try your own ideas. These can be generated while staring at (home)work.

2. AIM: Where am I trying to go with this RP?

It's good to work this out with your members BEFORE the RP starts. This can be multiple things, going from just in it for the story telling, the fights, the awesome powers, and general themes. Maybe you want to focus on a character's revenge and psychological issues, or maybe it's a fun tale about the foibles of every day life. But remember, your aim can change, like details members bring in. Try to be flexible. But if you vary too much, we get to...

3. SYSTEM: What can I do to give the story consistency?

It's a common issue. A system is the way battles, story progression, characters and powers function. You must be able to grasp this system fully and be the master of it so to say. Most of these things go under mechanics, that means that you have to set up something similar to a card system, how powers function, what powers are, how do you see weapons, creatures, robots in your role play. If you do not want to make a complicated system then stick to a story based RP, where these things are secondary and sometimes not even needed. Remember: a well-designed system can provide a much-needed sense of consistency and story.

4. PATIENCE: Nobody's joining my RP that I painstakingly created!

Per the Hitchiker's Guide, "don't panic". I urge all newcomers not to get disappointed if people do not join their RPs right away. Just try your very best to make the RP function. Who knows? Sometimes the most obscure ideas tend to interest players into the game. Remember, you're doing this to have fun! Keep your spirit up, keep improving. You can write on your own time, and and join RPs to get perspectives on what's involving.

MangaHelpers staff~
    Last edited by Josef K.; April 09, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply