Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learnt from Hunter x Hunter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lessons Learnt from Hunter x Hunter

Hey guys!

Thought we could discuss a lot of the lessons taught in this manga and some of the messages underneath it. One lesson I learnt from Hunter x Hunter is that if you want to understand somebody, understand what makes them angry. I find this to be something that both rings true with a lot of the characters in the series as well as to real life.

I personally had a bit of an argument between friends and I thought back to this quote from Gon and I decided to look at the situation from the perspective of what was making them angry and I understood things much better. That person and I are now best friends. She is the Killua to my Gon.

What lessons did you learn from Hunter x Hunter?
    Last edited by futurefrog; April 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lessons Learnt from Hunter x Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Hey guys!

Thought we could discuss a lot of the lessons taught in this manga and some of the messages underneath it. One lesson I learnt from Hunter x Hunter is that if you want to understand somebody, understand what makes them angry. I find this to be something that both rings true with a lot of the characters in the series as well as to real life.

I personally had a bit of an argument between friends and I thought back to this quote from Gon and I decided to look at the situation from the perspective of what was making them angry and I understood things much better. That person and I are now best friends. She is the Killua to my Gon.

Good ol' Aunt Mito.

Lessons...hm...

How about "Don't mess with the Zoldycks"

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member NoFreakingWay's Avatar
    Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post

They're not exactly lessons, but the feelings embedded in those scenes are things I deeply relate to.

Here's one:

http://www.mangareader.net/207-14012...chapter-3.html

Here's another. I'm not into martial arts, but what drives Netero here is what drives me in many 'similar situations'.

http://www.mangareader.net/207-43556...apter-291.html

I dedicated these words to a group of people, and to a particular person a long time ago.

I'm just gonna let you guys interpret what I 'learned' from these pages.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok this is a really stupid lesson, but when I first saw Gon cutting his eyelid in the old anime I learned what swelling actually is. And I've secretly hoped to be in a situation similar to Gon where I'd have to cut my swollen eyelid xD

A more serious lesson was learning not to judge a book by its cover. Hunter x Hunter wasn't the first thing that tought me that lesson, but seeing Kurapika and Leorio understanding eachother and what truly drives them into becoming Hunters was what made me realize the significance of said lesson.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member majinjeb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've learned not to take drinks from competitors.
    "Until now... I got through it well. I managed to come back from the edge of hell several times. You can say it develops a kind of intuition, And what that intuition tells me now, is... This... is where I'll die." -Squala

"The hopelessness was suffocating. I loved it." -Cinnabar

7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Great guys lets keep this going

Another thing I have learned is that no one is ever truly evil and that we are all the sum of the circumstances we are living within.
    One can do bad things, but all things have a reason. Whether that thing is right or wrong is always subjective.
    What may be wrong in my eyes in right in anothers.
    There is never a real right or a real wrong as it's subjective.
    I feel this is actually the character arc of Kurapika (learning that right and wrong aren't always so clear cut).

But this relates to real life and it actually helps me to understand why some people do things.
    Whether it's things I approve or disapprove of, understanding their reasons is important.

Another lesson I have learned is to never give up on getting what you want. Gon wants to see his father and is stubborn to no end.
    I learnt from Gon that being stubborn is not always a bad thing. I learnt that being stubborn and believing in yourself and standing by your goals is a good thing.

So what else have you guys learnt

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Be faithful to your convictions, though don't hesitate to give up on them for other people. Gon showed this when Zeburo offered to go along with him, but he didn't want to cause him any trouble. He was able to extinguish his anger and determination for the sake of someone else. Kurapika did the same in Yorkshin, though in a much deeper level than what Gon did.

Don't accept what life has seemingly imposed to you so easily if that's not what you want. This one's pretty obviously from Killua, but Gon also has shown this in subtler ways.

And the one that was shown the most in the whole series... DON'T do anything reckless, no matter how dire the situation seems. There's a pretty good chance you're going to be screwed. I guess I don't even have to mention how many times this was shown, but one of my favorites is when Gon and Killua are kidnapped by the Ryodan. If Gon had let his rage take over and done something stupid like trying to punch Nobunaga or something, he'd be dead in a second. That's most explicitly shown they Nobunaga locks himself with the both of them in one of the rooms of the building.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter x Hunter has taught me that Hunter x Hunter is awesome. And not that much else. It's a decidedly amoral manga and doesn't focus much on good and evil, and it doesn't preach, so I don't think Togashi is trying to teach anything in particular through his story-telling.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    That's the best one yet.

For me,the lesson learnt are

1)Never try to fight a kid who is in a place that he shouldn't be in.They obviously have a plan to be there.Gon and Killua were pretty much underestimated during the heaven arena arc.

2)From Gotoh, nothing is what it seem to be at the surface.Always be aware of trickery.

3)Be aware of pedophile.Eg: hisoka.

4)From Hanzo ,keep a poker face when you know something that the others don't.

5)From Gon, never simply show a hand sign that you don't know, particularly during auctions.

6)From Bisuke, people can be older than they look.

7)From Pariston, learn how to be a troll.

8)From Ging, outsmart your opponents by tactic.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are all hilarious xD! And for some reason I forgot about the Gotoh one which is actually a pretty good lesson for kids. It's good to be trustful but don't let anyone dupe you!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The lesson I learned is that those in the front of the line, and those sitting down calmly are always the ones chosen.

Spoiler show

this logic of one of the greed island players made no sense to me at first, and after all this time its still one of the more random hypothesis' in the series to me. But when explained it made sense, I love it.

I also learned that kids in places they shouldn't be shouldn't be underestimated, thats a life lesson to learn in HxH dealing with Gon and Killua.

I already knew this lesson, but it was reinforced for me reading HxH, never assume a characters gender till its specifically stated by said character. You will avoid awkward moments like this : *yorknew spoiler*
    Spoiler show

I also learned the answer to any question you can't answer is "silence". I also learned that Leorio is wrong, about most things.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The "don't underestimate kids" is unfounded, actually. Biske explained that Nen user kids are quite common, they're just underestimated because few of them are focused in combat.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

well...I learned that I need to observe people, to think quick, and, most importantly....there is some truly fucked up people in this world. People who kill for money, black markets, etc etc etc....all those things are quite real, and I never really thought about that

oh, also, "always keep a weapon close"

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Most important lesson I've learn...A Hunter must Hunt something. It looks simple, but somehow drives me to realize that I always have something to hunt to make my life interesting.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

@TheAmericanDream- The gender one is particularly true.XD
    On a more serious note ,during the chimera ant arc, I learn the extend of human cruelties and the unfairness of life.Human and ant are as equally cruel as each other.The whole of chapter 311 itself emphasis that.

And ,from meryem and killua, even if a person is born in the worst environment where they have to learn to kill , it is possible to change oneself to be a better person/creature.

From Gon,during the chimera ant arc,he was so obsessed with killing pitou ,to achieve this goal ,that he caught carried away ,he lose focus of himself and his friends.When he sacrifice himself to defeat pitou, he forgotten to think about how the others who feel and the side effect.So,the lesson learn is that even if you want to achieve your goals really badly,you can't forgot about your identity ,yours loved one and possession you have.Do not hurt yourself and others just to achieve your goal. This is actually really important principle in life.There are people who sacrifice everything just to achieve their goal and at the end of the day,they are left with nothing.

From Ging,always have a backup plan in case of emergency.(Gon appearing)

21. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast