Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Kabuto. Let's talk Villains.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kabuto. Let's talk Villains.

Quote Originally Posted by chilibun View Post
    Nope. Psychotic implies that there is something mentally wrong with Oro, but there isn't. He simply holds no regards for the accepted ethics of man and place little value in life. Being "evil" is not the same as being psychotic. Everything Oro does has a purpose to it.

As for Kabuto, he is a terrible villain because he has little identity of his own. Even his backstory is about him having no identity!
    I disagree, being psychotic means you suffer from psychosis, meaning you lose touch with reality and cease normal social functioning. That seems to fit perfectly for a man like Orochimaru who became obsessed with an idea of perfection, lost sight of what was actually important, gave up his humanity and lost some form of rationality.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narutotheory View Post
    I believe Kabuto Yakushi is by far the most boring, lame excuse for a villain Kishimoto could come up with.

I mean, he's so bad I'm actually starting to miss Orochimaru...that dude actually kept things interesting and slightly unpredictable.

Idk I mean like Kabuto was a bad ass without Sage mode in his arsenal; just medical Ninjutsu alone. He just seemed a lot more interesting when he was a human.

What do you guys and gals think about Mr. Yakushi.
    Especially given the recent chapters, he's one of the better villains in my book. I think Kabuto is fairly unpredicatable unless of course you always predict he's trolling who he's talking to because that's what spies do. An expert spy, I thought he made a great foil for Kakashi, Naruto, and Yamato during their encounters. His interactions with Tobi were always wonderfully vague, and summoning the actual guy Tobi was pretending to be to gain access to Tobi's lair/research was a pretty well played move.

But really, anyone willing to bumrush Orochimaru, the no-nonsense member of the Sannin, armed only with medical ninjutsu...well that's like the opposite of boring. That scene in 584 is just downright bloody.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    I disagree, being psychotic means you suffer from psychosis, meaning you lose touch with reality and cease normal social functioning. That seems to fit perfectly for a man like Orochimaru who became obsessed with an idea of perfection, lost sight of what was actually important, gave up his humanity and lost some form of rationality.
    I don't think Orochimaru's psychotic per say. He has some really huge delusions of grandeur and an inflated sense of self, but within the context of what ninjutsu has shown capable in the manga, his goals are achievable. Or would be if he were a protagonist not an antagonist.

I just think he's more of an existentialist than psychotic. He sees the word and says (in that conversation with Kimimaro) that the world has no meaning which is fair enough. He's lived long enough in deception to point out the lies that build up the 'reality' of the world and clung to the pursuit of knowledge. Pure knowledge which is all knowledge. Only then can the truth be learned. So I don't think he's had a psychotic break with reality. I think he understands it well. He certainly moves well enough within the 'reality' of the series to expertly manipulate numerous characters. Maybe sociopathic. But I don't fully by psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by metalia View Post
    I like him, I hope he beats the Uchiha
    A partial victory for Kabuto, defeating Itachi at least, would be great, but I doubt it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
    Anyways, this Kabuto arc is by far the worse pile of crap Kishi ever written. It's safe to say t's not what he planned for or it looks very bad for the rest of the manga.
    As with any piece of art, your mileage may vary because we all have different readings of things. That said, I don't think it's accurate to say that Kishimoto didn't plan this out. Technically, that's the sort of thing only the artist himself would know and a point of contention in all forms of serialized media is inevitably how much of X did Y have planned out. Kabuto's been a spy since the beginning and a superb researcher, so it's not a stretch for him to continue his sensei's research. And it's not like he's been completely small potatoes. He outmaneuvered Kakashi, successfully infiltrated the Chunin exams, fought Tsunade, was a double agent in Akatsuki, and planned to help Orochimaru finish off Sasori. That's an impressive pedigree by my standards. It's not like he came out of nowhere like Kinkaku and Ginkaku. And he's been in the manga longer than the other main villains: before Akatsuki, before Madara was mentioned, way before Tobi. But whatevs I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    im not entirely against kabuto ,it just irritates me how he suddenly became a major one ,gathering orochimarus left overs and surpassing him in a really short time
    what kept orochimaru from reaching the same heights then if it was all his researches and ideas and techniques ? a part of me still wishes that orochimaru pops out of kabuto at some point saying "i knew you would do all these ,you were my safe card for return..thank you kabuto and bye bye..."
    I would welcome a return from Oro, but a consistent theme of the manga has been new generations building upon the work of the old to further their knowledge. Tsunade took some innate medical ninjutsu know-how from her family and created the modern medical ninjutsu system. Naruto perfects the Rasengan. Chiyo controls 10 puppets. Then, Sasori learns to control 100. Naruto masters sage mode better than Jiraiya. Sasuke takes shape manipulation of Chidori to ridiculously unreal levels. Kabuto improves upon Orochimaru's Edo Tensei. Orochimaru improves upon Tobirama's Edo Tensei. Was it mentioned Tobirama only controlled one body with that technique, because I vaguely recall that? Maybe it was just that he never mastered the technique he created? Somewhere along the line the new jinchuriki (Naruto/B) learn to control and properly bound with the Tailed Beast.

I think where you come down on the line is determined by whether or not you think the progress was indeed too fast or not. Just think IRL how quickly science and research can progress when it gets on a roll. Room sized computers -> TV sized cinders -> computers in anything and screens as thin as we want.
    Last edited by blackjack612; May 03, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: edit: Mistakenly wrote Rinnegan instead of Rasengan above.

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

3. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    Naruto perfects the Rinnegan.
    Unless you have some shadowy theory, you meant Rasengan.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was annoyed when Kishi started spending so much time on Kabuto's flashbacks, and I still am, but I have to admit, the last chapter was really solid. I really, really miss Orochimaru though....I miss his old theme song too. IMO Naruto was better when Orochimaru was the main villain.

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Unless you have some shadowy theory, you meant Rasengan.
    Thanks for that. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    I was annoyed when Kishi started spending so much time on Kabuto's flashbacks, and I still am, but I have to admit, the last chapter was really solid. I really, really miss Orochimaru though....I miss his old theme song too. IMO Naruto was better when Orochimaru was the main villain.
    I've been saying in the reviews for a while that I hope he makes a resurgence, but I don't think that's going to happen anymore. 584 very much felt like giving the character a graceful way to bow out, showing his origin and painting his ambitions in a sympathetic shade. It was a pivotal chapter for Kabuto, but Orochimaru really took the spotlight with how he expertly manipulated the situation to his advantage, gaining a skilled young ally.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the better villains in Naruto and what makes them work. In Orochimaru's case, I think he reminds me of the Joker from Batman a little. He just does things. Not for any particular purpose but because he's compelled to and because he's craving entertainment and meaning he feels forced to create. Keeping with the Batman analogy, who would Kabuto be? Maybe Two-Face. Both started out working within the system (Konoha, the law), even when exposed to the worst humanity had to offer (criminals, deceit, Root), until trauma forced them to redefine something essential about themselves. Just a thought.

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noone is insane in the Narutoverse. Everyone simply has different priority in life.

I know a lot of people (not necessarily those from the Naruto forums) have been labelling characters as being 'insane' or 'phychotic' so that they would have the justification of simply killing them without second thought.

And this is the same with the gaming industry. Certain old-fashioned gaming companies are still insisting the developers to make the villains as 'insane' and 'mindless' as possible, so that it is 'alright' to simply gun them down.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member metalia's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Kabuto is cool and a genious. He even surpassed orochimaru with his recently achieved sage mode. It kinda sucks that suddenly some random sharingan technique have defeated him

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kabuto is probably the single strongest shinobi we have seen in the manga with perhaps the exception of madara. Kabuto had several techniques which made him immune to physical damage, he had several techniques which caused him to regenerate, he had several techniques which made him immortal and had many other techniques which did many other stuff. On top of having a bunch of KG which gave him a freak almost immortal body by itself he also had sage techniques which make every technique he has objectively better. On top of that he was able to fight two uchiha with his eyes closed lol. Well, he was able to fight them because he had his eyes closed but still. I do wonder how exactly kabuto remained in sage mode for so long, it does kinda seem sage mode requires him to stop moving. Also, while kabuto has been defeated now, he is not necessarily out of the picture. Who is to say he won't be freeing himself from the jutsu in the short run? Of course if he does he would do so being a different person without his current motivations.

New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4