Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 1st String

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your 1st String

Well, I don't think Byodoin has reached PoP level yet. We have no idea why he plays tennis. What we do know is that he has travelled around the world improving his tennis skills.

We now know Ryoma and Kintaro play tennis for fun, Tokugawa wants to be a professional tennis player, Tezuka will become one at the age of 25 (official artwork), Atobe might as well, Yukimura is beginning to play tennis for fun. These characters should have the most potential to evolve further. Whether Konomi agrees is a different story.

If anything, Tokugawa should start off as No. 4/5 then work his way up.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Byoudouin is surely above PoP level.

Oni without PoP did a return ace against PoP Kintarou, and we know that the no.1 is around Oni's level or even better. Even Ryoma knows that he NEEDS to learn the glowing shot to even stand a chance against Byoudouin (from now on I'll call him Houou, seriously his name is ridiculous...)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    I know it's tough on you jose...imagine me
    fapfapfap

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Byoudouin is surely above PoP level.

Oni without PoP did a return ace against PoP Kintarou, and we know that the no.1 is around Oni's level or even better. Even Ryoma knows that he NEEDS to learn the glowing shot to even stand a chance against Byoudouin (from now on I'll call him Houou, seriously his name is ridiculous...)
    What I think is that Oni in that state when he return ace was in the "state" of PoP. We seen it before, like what Ryoma enters during his match with Kintarou. It is also possible that Tezuka was in this state a few moments before he enters his PoP.

And Kintarou manage to keep his service game against PoP Oni.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that PoP was the ultimate, undefeatable state. Oh well.

@Hardy. Some sites call him Hoo. Confused on what his name should be.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Philia's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

We are yet to see anything that beats PoP. But I have a feeling Byoudoin & Ryoga(If he plays PoP Ryoma) will show something better than PoP.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen so much pessimism for one character - Tokugawa - after reading this whole thread. Everyone is blinded by the fact they think his reasoning for wanting to beat Byodoin is pathetic, but if you really think about it, it's not. If you have dreams/goals and had it crushed, you would want the same thing or prove them wrong. That's what Tokugawa is doing. Not playing favouritisms, but hardwork should be recognised. My 1st stringers list consist of mainly hardworkers.

Byodoin and Ryoga probably don't need PoP or anything stronger. They're powerful as they are. But they don't play tennis for fun but are dedicated players.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

But working incredibly hard in PoT is the norm. There is nothing special about working hard to defeat your senpai in PoT. Nothing.
    So for Tokugawa's big resolve to only be "I must beat Byoudouin", its real disappointing.
    There are people trying to take Japanese tennis forward here, but this talented guy just wants to defeat someone who kicked his ass.
    All this tension centred around him yet Byoudouin doesn't even recognise him as a rival.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tokugawa just loses in the end. Its a shame but this is just a more or less one-sided-rivalry.
    There are bunch of hard-workers in PoT.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, from what I've read in the manga, Tokugawa wants to defeat Byodoin because he's the first person ever to defeat Tokugawa effortlessly. Its not because he wants the No. 1 badge. Probably just a plus. Also because Tokugawa had his dream of being a professional tennis player shattered by this one person. I don't see Tokugawa and Byodoin a one-sided rivalry. If you ask me, he seems to be the high schooler version of Ryoma.
    Ryoma kept losing and strives to defeat his father and Tezuka, which he eventually did right at the end of the anime. Whose to say Tokugawa won't? Working hard to beat your senpai may payoff (to some people)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Think about it Tokugawa does have to ability to win this match. In the list Kaoz showed he was rated higher than Oni. Oni was the original number five who was considered even with the number two, therefore Tokugawa is above the level of number 2. I guess he could challenge number one but I don't see him winning in this case (Ryoma never beat Tezuka in the manga). Also we know barely anything about Tokugawa.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@Airgrimes
    I don't think it's right to call the rivalry one-sided, since in the fanbook it says in Byoudouin's profile that his and Tokugawa's fates are connected.

@floman
    Shouldn't assume Kijin!Oni for that list. Nobody had seen it before the Kintarou match.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but didn't we establish (with the information we were provided) that Tanegamishima played evenly against non-kijin Oni?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait, I'm confused. Which list are you referring to?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floman View Post
    Yeah but didn't we establish (with the information we were provided) that Tanegamishima played evenly against non-kijin Oni?
    Yeah, basically, 10 ball + BjK Oni. Obviously Tanegashima didn't lose against him because of evident reasons, but I think it's pretty clear that Oni didn't show his true skills until his rematch against Kintarou, as mentioned by Byodouin.

If Oni and Tanegashima were to play again right now, Oni should win without too much problems.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Which list are you referring to?

This list. Since Tokugawa is rated higher than 10 ball BJK Oni, and Tanegamishima was even with 10 ball BJK Oni, Tokugawa must be > Tanegamishima

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floman View Post
    This list. Since Tokugawa is rated higher than 10 ball BJK Oni, and Tanegamishima was even with 10 ball BJK Oni, Tokugawa must be > Tanegamishima
    Well, we don't have any great support for saying that Tanegashima didn't play against Kijin!Oni, it's just a theory. We'll probably have a better idea of Tokugawa's strength in about two weeks though.

New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast