Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70

Thread: The Next Big Three

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    I feel like Gintama would be next in line if the Big 3 survived past Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, Toriko after that.

  2. #17
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    756
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post

    Is that so? I had the same problem as Bludvein, I tried to read the first 15 or so chapters and just couldn't get into it. I mean, One Piece has a goal, and long standing villains that move the plot, but isn't Toriko just random monster hunts? If there is more to it, I'll be willing to give it another shot. Well, regardless of whether I like it or not, it certainly is popular. But I defiantly think FT will rise after Bleach and Naruto are gone.
    Toriko is like One Piece like what I said it also had a Gourment World counterpart for Grandline/Red Line also had a rival organization etc.. I personally think the Bleach and Naruto are not the great to be called big 3 with One Piece their popularity is long long gone because of poor story IMO..

  3. #18
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    There won't be a new big 3 as clear as the current one.

    HSK has already more than 400 chapters. It's not a potential successor. It's just a less popular manga than the big 3 which is running for already a long time.
    Fairy Tail already entered "post-timeskip" period.Toriko is also well advanced in the story. Same for BEELZEBUB or Gintama.

    I can continue but basically, almost all good ongoing mangas will probably end before One Piece. Plus, the current big 3 is no more than an illusion right now. It's a big One: One piece is far above the rest. And IMO, I don't care anymore about Naruto or Bleach for years. Both manga are not even close to what they were 5 years ago.

    Honestly, there is only one manga which can stand with One Piece at the top & it's Hunter x Hunter. With the new world, the manga has potential for at least 300 new chapters. The fanbase is enormous & the impact worldwide is big. If Togashi was not as lazy as he is, HxH would be as popular as One Piece worldwide.
    Because HSD Kenichi has so many chapters is why i suggested it become a successor, It may not be AS popular as the current 'Big Three', but then again, nothing is; if there was another manga as popular, then it wouldn't be called the Big Three anymore. But certainly when Naruto and Bleach end their fans will vote for the the other mangas they like and they will rise in popularity. A manga that has strong foundations, such as Fairy Tail or HSD Kenichi, and already posses a strong fandom, will only grow stronger. But I'm not talking about creating a new Big Three, its more like adding two more to sit aside the throne of One Piece; as I said before, something has to fill the gaping hole left by Naruto and Bleach.

    ---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tobeulp View Post
    Toriko is like One Piece like what I said it also had a Gourment World counterpart for Grandline/Red Line also had a rival organization etc.. I personally think the Bleach and Naruto are not the great to be called big 3 with One Piece their popularity is long long gone because of poor story IMO..
    Its true, One Piece's plot isn't deep at all, and the art is an older style; but even as a simple story, it draws on the feelings of the reader and is an amazing Manga, because it allows everyone to let their vivid imaginations run wild.

  4. #19
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    A manga that has strong foundations, such as Fairy Tail or HSD Kenichi, and already posses a strong fandom, will only grow stronger.
    I don't think the popularity for Fairy Tail and Kenichi will because of end of Naruto and Bleach; they are already in peak of their popularity.

  5. #20
    MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Pretty sure that, if ANE ever goes weekly, it will join the top 3. But at the moment, it's one of the flagship serializations of Square, and I think they'd be loathe to give it up.

    I think if Beelzebub gets serious, it will fill the void left by Bleach as will Toriko. As for the third: I don't think HxH, because keeping a devoted base is hard with hiatuses. I don't think Nurarihyon no Mago, since that manga seems more of a Square offering, with the long plots and everything (I think it also hamstrings itself by lack of internationalization.) Maybe Kuroko no Basket?
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

  6. #21
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    It's too bad the "Big 3" only refers to WSJ series, because Blue Exorcist is already popular enough and sells enough to replace Bleach.

    HxH sells well, but most of the people who buy HxH don't bother voting for it in the questionnaires. I'd bet that quite a few of its buyers are adults who used to read Jump 10 years ago but have moved on since then.

    Toriko ranks high enough, and it already looks like WSJ considers it to be part of the Big 3 judging by all of the group pictures, but its sales aren't terribly great.

    Gintama won't last much longer than Bleach. Nura isn't popular enough. Beelzebub isn't popular enough to be a part of the Big 3 either.

    In my opinion, it will be a brand-new series like Blue Exorcist that replaces Bleach. 700,000 copies in the first week for volume 8? That's crazy. And it's a SQ manga, so you know a Jump manga has the potential to sell even more.

  7. #22
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I don't think the popularity for Fairy Tail and Kenichi will because of end of Naruto and Bleach; they are already in peak of their popularity.
    I also think they have reached their peak of popularity, Fairy Tail is a huge manga already and is up their with the Big Three already, so technically if there were a Big Four Fairy Tail would be in there. HSD Kenichi, I think has reached its peak and won't get much more popular as it has almost 500 chapters, but who knows I can see it gaining some fan base from the ending of two of the big three, although I don't have a grip on when HSDK will be ending, so its up in the air, it can go either way.

    I believe Toriko will be a part of the Big Three, Jump is already pushing it as a part of the Big Three already, and since their seem to be many series that seem to be ending soon, Jump is pushing Toriko which is still getting started. Honestly the world of Toriko is really vast, and I see the manga lasting a while, and I believe it will only increase in popularity as its still early in its run, and a lot of people haven't read it yet. I think people who like One Piece would like Toriko.

    Also, Ao No Exorcist is huge, and it got pretty big when it hasn't been around the longest, So I think it will be in the big three as well. To me Ao no Exorcist is one of the biggest monthly hits, since Full Metal Alchemist (I'm not comparing them though, just sales).

  8. #23
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    756
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    A Monthly manga can't be in the big 3 because first it is MONTHLY! not weekly... Ao no Exorcist had huge sales mainly because it is monthly and there aren't that many competitors in monthly magazine that is why they could advertise it greater than weekly shounen that had a huge list of competitors... Not saying Ao no Exorcist is good but i don't think it I could line it up with the big 3 just because of its huge sales the story isn't that powerful IMO and when it will become weekly the quality will be greatly decrease..

    Beelzebub is not any good this past few weeks after the last arc the story is not that powerful to be considered the big 3... I think Medaka box is better than Beelzebub IMO
    Toriko and Fairy Tail had the most potential to be in the big 3 I think for me they are already the big 3 with One Piece... Fairy tail will surely be longer than Bleach and Naruto..

    Considering this thread is the big 3 in the future... I think I hope Ohba and Obata will create another Death Note like Manga that will surely be in the big 3...

    I think it is really hard to had a solid case in this thread mainly because we don't know how long the manga will stay knowing that Naruto and Bleach can stay longer to be cash cow... Why not make a new thread for the current Big 3 because a lot of us will not agree that Naruto and Bleach is one of the big 3 already.

  9. #24
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    I believe that the next "Big 3" have not arrived yet, though I don't know when they'll come. I'm personally hoping Iwashiro will return to JUMP soon (I know there was only about two years between Mieru Hito ending and Psyren starting) since I think he could make something with that kind of potential (though his track record with popularity isn't too good, but Kubo's first series failed though so it;s not impossible for something like that to happen). I'm also hoping Sakaki Kenji will return and that Obata;s next thing will be successful.

    These are pretty much the only ones I know that I think could make something like that, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

  10. #25
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    I actually don't see neither One Piece, nor Naruto, nor Bleach ending within the next three years - One Piece is likely to continue for another ten years, but about Naruto and Bleach, I'm sure that they are within their final sagas.

    The question then is: Are the current manga series in Jump able to stay popular and then able to attract the former Naruto and Bleach target audience? Would the current ones actually last that long?

    Toriko and Gintama sure are two promising serieses, but even though both are popular in the Jump Magazine, both tankoubon sells aren't as high as that of Bleach. And I think their circulation is much lower, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I don't think the popularity for Fairy Tail and Kenichi will because of end of Naruto and Bleach; they are already in peak of their popularity.
    But - by volumes - Fairy Tail has been as successful as Bleach in the last two years, wasn't it?

  11. #26
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    GTFO with Fairy Tail becoming succeeding whatever the fuck you people think are the most popular manga

    The three most popular manga in Japan are One Piece, Naruto, and Kimi ni Todoke. Before going on hiatus Nana was almost as popular as One Piece. One Piece sales were not what they are now when Nana went on hiatus in 2009, it's hard to say how they would compare today. Hunter x Hunter comes next, despite the irregular release schedule. There are already "successors" in place, should Naruto and KimiTodo end this year: Saint Young Men, Shingki no Kyojin, and Ao no Exorcist. The former is already extremely popular, just a little less per volume than Naruto and KimiTodo. In 2011 Shingeki and Ao surged past Bleach and every manga except One Piece, Naruto, KimiTodo, HxH, and Saint Young Men. All three are on the rise, new titles still gaining new fans, and could conceivably surpass any series except One Piece. Toriko has most likely hit it's ceiling already, still less popular than Bleach, let alone Naruto or KimiTodo.

    ---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    But - by volumes - Fairy Tail has been as successful as Bleach in the last two years, wasn't it?
    By volume no, individual volumes of Bleach outsell Fairy Tail. Combined sales for Fairy Tail have been a little higher, but combined sales can be more easily skewed by outliers. Release schedule could skew total yearly sales. Yearly totals cut off during the third week of November, if a new volume comes out on November 23, sales are carried over to the next year. Catalog sales also effect total sales. A minor boost in old volumes can add a significant number of books to the yearly total, when spread out over twenty or thirty volumes. Total sales also punishes new titles. It is hard for series with six or seven volumes to match catalog sales of series with twenty or more volumes, even if new volumes sell more. Sales for individual volumes give a better idea of how popular established titles are, there are fewer factors that can skew the numbers. Individual volumes of Fairy Tail sell well, but nowhere near the top titles.

    ---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

    The OP seems confused regarding the term "big 3", including numerous non-Weekly Jump titles as possible successors. OP also seems to have overrated Bleach's popularity and seems unaware of how popular KimiTodo is in Japan. No need to act like this thread is about Jump, it's not.

  12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #27
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    I disagree. The next Big 3 is not all about volume sales. It's the multi layered massive demographic that counts the most. If you want AnE & SnK to take one of the empty positions, It would be an insanely uphill battle for them because they're monthly, not weekly. All the most popular mangas in history are weekly. Of course, the only thing is, they're all from Jump. But FT would be the one to break the mold. Lastly, FT has consistently been in #4-5 in volume sales these years. If FT can market themselves well enough overseas, especially in the U.S. It will reach the Big 3's popularity. Say what you want about FT, but it's obvious it's going to be part of the next Big 3.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #28
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    If FT can market themselves well enough overseas, especially in the U.S. It will reach the Big 3's popularity. Say what you want about FT, but it's obvious it's going to be part of the next Big 3.
    Then, can you tell me FT's current popularity in US? Also, FT had been releasing in North America since 2008, so was there any impact on FT's general popularity on last 4 years?

    I'm only knowledgable for manga's popularity in Japan, so I don't really know much on which series are popular and how popular in US (I only know Naruto is really famous in US).
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; April 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

  16. #29
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Then, can you tell me FT's current popularity in US? Also, FT had been releasing in North America since 2008, so was there any impact on FT's general popularity on last 4 years?

    I'm only knowledgable for manga's popularity in Japan, so I don't really know much on which series are popular and how popular in US (I only know Naruto is really famous in US).
    Honestly, nothing has really had that huge an impact manga both manga and anime wise since Naruto in the US. Sure there's been some occasional smaller hits here, but noting has really set the world on fire since and I do think international popularity is a factor that should be taken into account. It;s why I honest don;t believe the next "big 3" have actually arrived yet, though with a lot of big shonen titles having ended recently or are ending soon, I expect to see some serious change in the wind over the next couple of years(not sure if it'll be good or bad though)/

  17. #30
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Next Big Three

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Then, can you tell me FT's current popularity in US? Also, FT had been releasing in North America since 2008, so was there any impact on FT's general popularity on last 4 years?

    I'm only knowledgable for manga's popularity in Japan, so I don't really know much on which series are popular and how popular in US (I only know Naruto is really famous in US).
    Well, FT certainly isn't a big hit in the U.S. if you compare it to the rest of the Big 3. The major hurdle for FT to be a global hit the likes of the Big 3 is the amount of fanservice in it. The Big 3 is a global hit because it's "parental-approved" for television. Even Bleach, the second most popular manga under Viz has a fair amount of approval despite the many mature themes in it. Same goes for OP. If Mashima can look at the bigger picture, he might start toning down the fanservice a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by Divinenega View Post
    Honestly, nothing has really had that huge an impact manga both manga and anime wise since Naruto in the US. Sure there's been some occasional smaller hits here, but noting has really set the world on fire since and I do think international popularity is a factor that should be taken into account. It;s why I honest don;t believe the next "big 3" have actually arrived yet, though with a lot of big shonen titles having ended recently or are ending soon, I expect to see some serious change in the wind over the next couple of years(not sure if it'll be good or bad though)/
    Agreed. International popularity will be the biggest factor here. The only reason why FT is considered a major contender for one of the 3 spots is the amount of fame it's gained over the world wide net. It still has yet to reach household popularity.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts