Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Big Three

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Next Big Three

So One Piece has met its half way point, Naruto is reaching its conclusion, and Bleach is in its last arc; so when these three great mangas of Jump are complete, which mangas will take their fans and rise in popularity, running for decades and controlling the industry, regardless of what magazine, what Manga will become, the next 'Big Three' of Japan?

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I am under the impression that Nurhara No Manga, Beelzebub, HSD Kenichi, and Fairy tail are well received manga's with seemingly no end, so I propose that they might fill the void.

I had considered D. Gray Man, bit it feels as if it is moving towards a conclusion and will end within five years or so, and at any rate, its too dark to receive the diverse fans of the Big Three. Similarly, Ao No Exorcist would be a good choice, but is not as developed as others.
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; April 14, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Next Big Three

The big three is referring to JUMP's top three manga. FT, Kenichi and DGM are not published in JUMP.

As of right now, none can actually replace them. Well, except for HXH, if it wasn't for Togashi's lazyness...

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Samui View Post
    The big three is referring to JUMP's top three manga. FT, Kenichi and DGM are not published in JUMP.
    I agree with you.

@OtakuModeEngage
    You should clarify whether you want a new big three in Jump only or all of manga in Japan.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samui View Post

As of right now, none can actually replace them. Well, except for HXH, if it wasn't for Togashi's lazyness...
    oops, haha, I had always thought of them as being the top three in Japan. But even if there are no manga currently in Jump that posses the ability to rival the big three and fill the void of their departure, that does not mean lesser but still popular manga won't take the Big Three's spot. After all, the Big Three's fans have to go somewhere. Yes, HxH would be a good candidate, if only it stayed in serialization.

To clarify the intent of this thread, my question is in regards to the next three most popular Manga in Japan, not Jump... this is the first thread I've ever made, so I am inexperienced.
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; April 14, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had a crazy idea with about 0.000001% of happening and that is after Naruto's ending since Kishimoto is practically swiming in money and will be a little bored after a while he might become an assistant of Togashi for free since they are very good friends and respect eachother which will make HXH hiatuses a lot less frequent and then it will be big 3 along with One piece and the next manga of Sorachi Hideaki, Toriko not making the cut only because the way the anime is treated

Along those lines I also predict Iwashiro's next work to be a 500K seller but it's not really enough to be big 3, yet who even said that there will still be 3 series with over 1 million copys sold, we might have 4 which one artist is yet to be established.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko has already surpassed Bleach in popularity...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burnpsy View Post
    Toriko has already surpassed Bleach in popularity...
    I don't get it, whats so interesting about beating up food? But while its true they may have currently passed on the Japanese Polls, Bleach is more popular world wide.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    I don't get it, whats so interesting about beating up food? But while its true they may have currently passed on the Japanese Polls, Bleach is more popular world wide.
    Toriko is a pretty good manga it is like One Piece but with chef and food hunters etc instead of pirates/marines etc...

About the poll I think One Piece will not end for about another 5-10 yrs so I think the other competitors will wrap up before One Piece... So I think the gap for the big three will just be two because Bleach and Naruto will end for 1-3 yrs max IMO...

I think Toriko and Gintama or Fairy Tail will be the one that replace Bleach and Naruto I think for me they are more interesting now than the two... And HxH is still one of the best there is..
    But I think most mangas now didn't have a sure 5yrs+ span so I think One Piece will not end before them.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bludvein's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care that much for Toriko either. Ive never made it past chapter 15 or so on the multiple times ive tried to read it. The premise just isn't interesting to me. You can't deny its popularity though.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko , HxH , Gamaran(i think this will end soon though ) , Nurarihyon no Mago (theres lots and lost of yokai's to be shown )

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

To clarify the intent of this thread, my question is in regards to the next three most popular Manga in Japan, not Jump... this is the first thread I've ever made, so I am inexperienced.
    Don't worry, it's all right but I will say that this thread should be moved to Otaku Cafe. That said, the next Big 3 in Japan will likely have FT as one of them. In fact, once Naruto ends, you can be sure it'll fill its' spot right away. As for the other 2, I don't know. and Jump will definitely need to wait for a long time for a global hit like Naruto to come around.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bludvein View Post
    I don't care that much for Toriko either. Ive never made it past chapter 15 or so on the multiple times ive tried to read it. The premise just isn't interesting to me. You can't deny its popularity though.
    read past chapter fifteen, Im telling you the intense scenes in the manga are really great, give it a chance. I checked on what chapter fifteen was, and it was still the introduction to Toriko's world. Im not going to say you will like it, but you should give it a chance. There is this arc called the Ice Hell arc, which was when you really get to the what I consider one of the best arcs in Toriko, and its got a lot of potential. Im just tired of seeing people write it off before they (read it, I know you did, but some don't. and before they get further into it.) also, P.S. the drawings get better as well.

Okay, so what Im going to say is the next big three will be Toriko, Ao No Exorcist, and (One Piece, I think will still be around but just for the sake of the topic) maybe Fairy Tail.

also Samui, D. Grayman is Jump, its Jump SQ like Ao No exorcist.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susanoo13 View Post
    I just had a crazy idea with about 0.000001% of happening and that is after Naruto's ending since Kishimoto is practically swiming in money and will be a little bored after a while he might become an assistant of Togashi for free since they are very good friends and respect eachother which will make HXH hiatuses a lot less frequent and then it will be big 3 along with One piece and the next manga of Sorachi Hideaki, Toriko not making the cut only because the way the anime is treated

Along those lines I also predict Iwashiro's next work to be a 500K seller but it's not really enough to be big 3, yet who even said that there will still be 3 series with over 1 million copys sold, we might have 4 which one artist is yet to be established.
    Create a pair, like Obha and Obata? That would be really interesting, but probably unlikely as Togashi started the series on his own and will probably continue it that way, at least, I've never heard of collaborations begging long after the piece was started. I think adding another person to the creation might screw up the 'feel' to it.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tobeulp View Post
    Toriko is a pretty good manga it is like One Piece but with chef and food hunters etc instead of pirates/marines etc...

About the poll I think One Piece will not end for about another 5-10 yrs so I think the other competitors will wrap up before One Piece... So I think the gap for the big three will just be two because Bleach and Naruto will end for 1-3 yrs max IMO...

I think Toriko and Gintama or Fairy Tail will be the one that replace Bleach and Naruto I think for me they are more interesting now than the two... And HxH is still one of the best there is..
    But I think most mangas now didn't have a sure 5yrs+ span so I think One Piece will not end before them.
    Is that so? I had the same problem as Bludvein, I tried to read the first 15 or so chapters and just couldn't get into it. I mean, One Piece has a goal, and long standing villains that move the plot, but isn't Toriko just random monster hunts? If there is more to it, I'll be willing to give it another shot. Well, regardless of whether I like it or not, it certainly is popular. But I defiantly think FT will rise after Bleach and Naruto are gone.

Negative Syndicate

But I defiantly think FT will rise after Bleach and Naruto are gone.
    I don't think Fairy Tail will rise even Naruto and Bleach ended.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

There won't be a new big 3 as clear as the current one.

HSK has already more than 400 chapters. It's not a potential successor. It's just a less popular manga than the big 3 which is running for already a long time.
    Fairy Tail already entered "post-timeskip" period.Toriko is also well advanced in the story. Same for BEELZEBUB or Gintama.

I can continue but basically, almost all good ongoing mangas will probably end before One Piece. Plus, the current big 3 is no more than an illusion right now. It's a big One: One piece is far above the rest. And IMO, I don't care anymore about Naruto or Bleach for years. Both manga are not even close to what they were 5 years ago.

Honestly, there is only one manga which can stand with One Piece at the top & it's Hunter x Hunter. With the new world, the manga has potential for at least 300 new chapters. The fanbase is enormous & the impact worldwide is big. If Togashi was not as lazy as he is, HxH would be as popular as One Piece worldwide.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast