Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Next Big Three

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Next Big Three

This thread needs a poll where people can choose series that should become the next big 3.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tobeulp View Post
    Having a monthly series is much more convenient than having a weekly series... Why? Because in a weekly series they need to rank higher on rankings because specially in Jump there are a lot of series there battling to survive... (Read Bakuman for Info about rankings etc )
    Bakuman can only explain about the Shonen Jump system and nothing more than that.
    The series never tried to make us believe that all japanese weekly magazines work like that. In fact, I don't know in what you're based to say something like that, but I really don't think most of weekly seinen magazines work like that, for example. Neither shoujo or josei, we don't have any evidence to support that claiming. Do you?

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Estranho View Post
    Bakuman can only explain about the Shonen Jump system and nothing more than that.
    The series never tried to make us believe that all japanese weekly magazines work like that. In fact, I don't know in what you're based to say something like that, but I really don't think most of weekly seinen magazines work like that, for example. Neither shoujo or josei, we don't have any evidence to support that claiming. Do you?
    Read bakuman first dude it is clearly you don't read it... It had other magazine reference like Monthly magazine does it explain it thoroughly?No but it is explained and shown to us
    Spoiler show

I didn't mention Shoujo/Josei/Seinen I only mention the monthly mag of shounen.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Sorry if I will make an enemy to some of AnE fans here but truth hurts I know I am a huge Seinen fan even if Berserk/Vagabond/Gantz/Vinland Saga is mostly legend already you can't add them here because its fanbase is limited to adult and you can't let your 8-12yr old child read them.. AnE is a good manga but there are a lot of manga there that had the same feel of shounen in AnE make it a weekly shounen manga and we will see how it fare against the other Shounen magazine like Toriko, Medaka Box,Beelzebub,Fairy Tail,HSDK,Reborn etc they are still good in rankings despite the huge competition in their genre as for AnE list mangas in what the same genre as them running in a monthly magazine only Soul Eater,D.Grayman is a close same genre, Claymore,SnK,POT are not the same genre as them... I don't know much series in a monthly mag so don't bash me if I don't add your manga..

Sorry If I will hurt AnE fans but I don't think it had a huge chance on being the next big three because even if the Anime already is finish it didn't reached the FMA level when it got a first Anime and SnK will dominate the monthly manga because it's genre is more unique than AnE it had the Fist of the north Sky feel of a shounen in SnK while AnE had a lot of manga with the same genre running in weekly already..
    Last edited by tobeulp; April 27, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Misunderstand the post

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Read bakuman first dude it is clearly you don't read it... It had other magazine reference like Monthly magazine does it explain it thoroughly?No but it is explained and shown to us
    Spoiler show

I didn't mention Shoujo/Josei/Seinen I only mention the monthly mag of shounen.
    Are you serious? I followed Bakuman from chapter one. My main point wasn't what you said about monthly magazines; I was questioning your claim that every weekly magazine is a "battle to survive".
    You said (your words): "Because in a weekly series they need to rank higher on rankings". Weekly series includes weekly shonens, weekly seinens and any other demography.
    Bakuman never said how the ranking system works in Shonen Magazine, in Young Jump, in Margaret and many others weekly magazines. (And never said how any other monthly magazine, besides Jump SQ, works, but that is another question). So, your statement citing Bakuman as a "source" of that kind of information is not correct.

But if your knowledge of weekly magazine is Shonen Jump alone, and monthly magazine is only Jump SQ... well, I'm sorry for you.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Estranho View Post
    Are you serious? I followed Bakuman from chapter one. My main point wasn't what you said about monthly magazines; I was questioning your claim that every weekly magazine is a "battle to survive".
    You said (your words): "Because in a weekly series they need to rank higher on rankings". Weekly series includes weekly shonens, weekly seinens and any other demography.
    Bakuman never said how the ranking system works in Shonen Magazine, in Young Jump, in Margaret and many others weekly magazines. (And never said how any other monthly magazine, besides Jump SQ, works, but that is another question). So, your statement citing Bakuman as a "source" of that kind of information is not correct.

But if your knowledge of weekly magazine is Shonen Jump alone, and monthly magazine is only Jump SQ... well, I'm sorry for you.
    Please show me weekly Seinen? Gantz?Berserk?Vinland Saga? are they weekly... Liar Game I don't know if they are weekly... So show me a weekly Seinen series that is popular enough?? Shoujo/Josei sorry I don't even know many manga about them why? I just don't like reading manga about them but I like some Shoujo/Josei Anime... And I don't said Bakuman is the only source but read it for more understanding about rankings and I specially mention Jump there like what I said I don't include Seinen/Shoujo/Josei here why? The current Big three is in Shounen if you include them there will be chaos in this thread and personally I would include alot of Seinen/Manwha series here. You should understand a post first before quoting dude..

I could list a lot of manga that are not limited to Shounen if you would like I would do a comparison if you like on who read more... So HSDK/Fairy Tail is a Jump magazine because IIRC I mention it all I can say is LOL! we are in the next big three topic not the what are the weekly manga thread so should I mention all of the manga that I read weekly I guess you don't even read half of them if I list them here..
    Well I am sorry for you mentioning Seinen/Josei/Shoujo category in a Shounen forums may try it on the Seinen/Shoujo forums dude.
    Last edited by tobeulp; April 27, 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Bloody Monday isn't seinen

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go.
    Please show me weekly Seinen? Gantz?Berserk?Vinland Saga? are they weekly... Liar Game I don't know if they are weekly... So show me a weekly Seinen series that is popular enough??
    Oh man, you got all wrong! That's not even the point!
    I'm talking especifically about your statement that all weekly magazines have a ranking system similar to Shonen Jump. I said that I can't believe that, and that's all.
    Why are you asking for popular weekly seinens? That's totally out of my question!

And now you're saying that you were talking only about Jump. English is not my first language, but I'm pretty sure that your previous statement didn't say that. You just cited Jump as an example, but well, I'll overlook that.
    Even if you just said about weekly shonens... how can you be so sure that Shonen Magazine and Shonen Champion works like that, for example? Where is your "other sources"?
    Have you ever seen a Magazine's ToC? It's a mess, there's no pattern. We can't say exactly how they choose to finish a serie abruptly. Is it with the tanko sales? Very unlikely, Gamaran's sales are a shame, for example.
    Have you ever seen a Champion's Toc? Me neither!

I could list a lot of manga that are not limited to Shounen if you would like I would do a comparison if you like on who read more... (..) so should I mention all of the manga that I read weekly I guess you don't even read half of them if I list them here..
    LOL, and from where that came from? I read a lot of things, but that doesn't support my arguments by themselves.
    Even if you read all the mangas in all the magazines, if you can't prove what you're saying, we still can't believe in you.

But prove that you're right and I'll accept that.
    Last edited by Estranho; April 29, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If we're lucky there won't be another "big 3". Jump is better off without a few mega series carrying the magazine and instead having a solid roster of series that all sell decently well and don't run for ten freaking years (which is too long for most manga). Plus Bleach was honestly never really in the big 3 if you consider popularity and sale, Hunter x Hunter would take it's place.

And if we are talking all manga, then both Naruto and Bleach have no place as many manga out sale them.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

My money's on Toriko and Beelzebub to rise towards the first 3 places. Toriko seems to have an epic battle right ahead and Beelzebub is a battle manga as funny as hell. I'd like to say Gintama and Nurarihyon no Mago since they seem to be popular, but Gintama as far as I have read (I think it's around 30 chapters) hasn't been that appealing to me, and I haven't checked on NnM yet; I'll probably clear them next since my favorite WSJ manga (Bakuman) just ended and I've re-read Toriko and Beelzebub around 10 times over.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nognir View Post
    My money's on Toriko and Beelzebub to rise towards the first 3 places. Toriko seems to have an epic battle right ahead and Beelzebub is a battle manga as funny as hell. I'd like to say Gintama and Nurarihyon no Mago since they seem to be popular, but Gintama as far as I have read (I think it's around 30 chapters) hasn't been that appealing to me, and I haven't checked on NnM yet; I'll probably clear them next since my favorite WSJ manga (Bakuman) just ended and I've re-read Toriko and Beelzebub around 10 times over.
    I beg to differ, as a huge fan of Beelzebub, I think it is unlikely Beelzebub success will become as big as Big Three. Beelzebub is not really "conventional" battle manga, it's a manga where you need some adaptation before you fully enjoy it. I see Beelzebub is similar to Gintama, Gintama is really popular in Japan but doesn't have a huge fanbase outside Japan because its weird sense of humor. Toriko is more reasonable to become the next big three.

you should read Gintama until the dramatic chapters start. It's really interesting. I admit the first 50 chapters are not really that good.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

My current top three are:
    One Piece
    Toriko
    Shingeki no Kyojin

btw Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011 (2011-11-30)

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5