Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1096

Thread: Bakuman by Ohba Tsugumi and Obata Takeshi

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [FINAL] Bakuman 176 Discussion

A lot of people complain about the first chapter only having Mashiro and Azuki, but let me remind you, the who driving force to this manga was about Mashiro and Azuki getting married. Their romantic moments were too few and far in between so it really is a good thing that it ended with them spending alone time together, otherwise they would have failed as a couple. Sure we don't see the wedding, but this alone time is another way of showing that they are fulfilling the promise. Tagaki was part of the promise yes, but only to the point where they get an anime, the rest of the promise focused only on Mashiro and Azuki, so doesn't it make sense that they are alone at the end?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OtakuModeEngage View Post
    A lot of people complain about the first chapter only having Mashiro and Azuki, but let me remind you, the who driving force to this manga was about Mashiro and Azuki getting married. Their romantic moments were too few and far in between so it really is a good thing that it ended with them spending alone time together, otherwise they would have failed as a couple. Sure we don't see the wedding, but this alone time is another way of showing that they are fulfilling the promise. Tagaki was part of the promise yes, but only to the point where they get an anime, the rest of the promise focused only on Mashiro and Azuki, so doesn't it make sense that they are alone at the end?
    Yeah, that makes sense. I'm probably mad because I'm a fan of Takagi. >.< Your right though, Takagi got his "romance" moments with Kaya, even a wedding and a honeymoon, all Mashiro got was a short time sitting next to her, a month with her while he was in the hospital and that one time he saved her from getting the part in +natural, if those count as "romantic". They needed a good chapter for their relationship.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it odd how people defending it are defending it in the sense of a romance manga when it was anything but that (metaphorically speaking). It's fine of course, each to their own and everything. Just found it amusing.

Quote Quote:
    The things I was mostly disappointed about was that they didn't show anyone else other than Mashiro and Azuki. I wished they had a chapter before that or even after that focused on the other characters. It would have been nice to see more of Hiramaru and Aoki xD, Hiramaru is definitely my favorite character. Their wedding would have been full of lol's, I wanted to see what happens between Nakai and Aoki's older sister. I kept on thinking that she would end up being some fat girl like him. Oh, and also more of team Fukuda of course, Fukuda and the gang always made the story better imo.
    That was chapter 175. More or less, anyway.
    -

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Knifeshade. As touching as the Mashiro X Azuki moments were, where as Takagi? I mean, it seemed like not the best ending chapter, even though it was well done.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am disappointed how the series ended so suddenly, and did wish there was more closure, but for me, the series as a whole more than makes up for it. I don't know, it kind of seemed they were bored and wanted to end Bakuman already. I had expected at least cover art, but it was just a center color, and I also thought chapter art would have been better than usual but it seemed like a regular chapter. Like on the final pages, Miho's wobbly fingernails rather bothered me XD

The effort to show all the side characters one more time was nice but lacking -- it made you just want more. I didn't expect much more screentime for second-banana Takagi, but the scene with Mashiro and Kaya was really touching however.

I'm sad that the series has ended as I had looked forward to it every week. Maybe Ohba and Obata will revisit this universe, or at least we'll see cameos of Bakuman characters in their next work like they did DN. I will definitely read their next piece and hope to see familiar names on the forum again.

Thanks again especially to Knifeshade and all the regular contributors here who made discussing the series so enjoyable.
    Last edited by pina; April 26, 2012 at 01:15 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    I find it odd how people defending it are defending it in the sense of a romance manga when it was anything but that (metaphorically speaking). It's fine of course, each to their own and everything. Just found it amusing.

That was chapter 175. More or less, anyway.
    That's not quite it, its not a romance manga, but it has always had an underlying romance factor that drove the story. Bakuman wouldn't be Bakuman if Mashiro wasn't trying his best to marry Azuki, if it was just about a duo making manga, it would lack the dept complexity and intrigue it inspires. The story would be nowhere near as good. This fact is, what made it more than just a regular manga, what hooked me, was his ridiculous proposal in chapter one; I wanted to see their dreams come true. It may not be a romance manga, but romance is a important aspect to its structure and one that MUST be addressed in the ending.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

In the end, wasn't Bakuman a good example of a non-mainstream-but-mainstream manga?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nognir View Post
    In the end, wasn't Bakuman a good example of a non-mainstream-but-mainstream manga?
    I guess so. It even lasted longer than Death Note.

------

Am I the only one disappointed that we didn't get to see what happened to Ishizawa? For a guy who started the whole mess in the last story arc you'd think we get to see his failure as a troll, but we didn't even see his reaction to the results!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL I forgot who Ishizawa was for a second but then I remembered. XD (That guy isn't too memorable, is he...)

We can all totally hope for a little more closure in an epilogue, it's not impossible. XD

But anyway, about the mainstream/non-mainstream thing... I dunno, I guess in a way, it could be thought of as that... However it does lack the aspect of physical battles. (Actually, didn't some characters get punched a few times...? Yeah okay that doesn't count. XD) But overall I think what charmed the fans is that it was so different but still they were able to connect to it. It brought them deeper than the simple "manga in Jump" because it brought them behind that. I think it had great results precisely because it was so non-mainstream but even mainstream fans could connect with it. If you're a fan of a mainstream series like One Piece or Naruto or Bleach, or any other Jump battle manga, even though Bakuman isn't about the same kind of thing, it's still "related" to them, because it talks about how they are made and developed. That's something that transcends genre anyway, because more or less, it's the same kind of process no matter what kind of manga you're making. (Of course things differ slightly depending on the magazine and company, etc., but more or less I bet it's fairly similar in most situations.) Connecting with the readers is important, and I think this succeeded in doing that, because it's not about something of specific interest like ninjas, but it's about an interest that if you're trying out the series, you already ARE interested in. It's simply about manga itself.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow,only now am I realizing that I will miss the whole editorial department.The editors were never really in the main focus,but now that I think about it,I will miss their little arguments and their exchange of different and interesting opinions.I think I will miss Yujiro the most. D:

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Yes, I'd miss them as well.

And here I was expecting they'd provide an epilogue after the final chapter (just for a surprise), but I guess not anymore (yet, I hope).

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

They could still well do that when the books come out. The last volume only has six chapters? Didn't FMA get a special ending thingy too. Actually, didn't Death Note get special stuff included when it ended too.
    -

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    They could still well do that when the books come out. The last volume only has six chapters? Didn't FMA get a special ending thingy too. Actually, didn't Death Note get special stuff included when it ended too.
    DN had a whole extra volume 13 (which was was more of data book rather than extra volume, but still) and then there was the one-shot. I said it a billion times, but we'll see a similiar one-shot in the future. Too many unexplained plot lines.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Late to the party but here goes: I finally finished Bakuman, and overall it was a pleasant departure from the dark feel of Death Note so kudos to Ohba-sensei for making it work. (Obata-sensei is always perfect in my eyes.)

My initial reaction to the final page of the final chapter was "This is it?" After thinking it over, I'm glad that there was no wedding in this chapter because there's a sense that the journey of Mashiro and Azuki is still ongoing. There were a lot of things they accomplished by the end of the manga: Ashirogi Muto got an anime deal; Azuki became a heroine of said manga; and they managed to see each other for the first time in many years. Mashiro proposing to her means that he's just one step closer in fulfilling his other dream of getting married.

Although Mashiro/Azuki was the set-up to the overall story, I'd have to say that the driving force was actually Eiji. The majority of Bakuman focused heavily on rankings and being #1 so I was disappointed that Eiji whom Ashirogi Muto set out to beat since the beginning didn't get enough spotlight as Azuki in the final moments. He's an equally important character, and I'm not just saying this as a fan!

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakuman General Hang Out Thread

WSJ alpha talks about DN and interviews Ohba and Obata >>> Ohba & Obata spotlight, Death Note, Ohba (full interview only for wsj alpha members).

ex oriente lux

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 LastLast