Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Most Disturbing Seinen Titles

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Disturbing Seinen Titles

I started reading Shamo a while back, I forgot all about it. With me, the love for realistic violence came first and it has gone from Hellsing to Battle Royale to Hell season etc... It has been a fucked up ride for me, however I don't find these titles disturbing, I just find them disgusting and shocking. Abstraction was quite a disturbing one shot, because It had me in a different mood, where I was unsure of what was happening. Shamo on the other hand Is a great disturbing manga. Put a 16 year old kid in prison, that's realistic, that's a bit full on. The idea of when I showed you those manga "Hell season" and "Modern stories of the Bizarre" was more of a shock to me than disturbing, the rape was a horrible add. If it were just screwed up stories with weird creatures, people etc... It would've been a successful horror one shot series. I will take on your great awesome summary of Shamo and start reading again. ^^

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

The most disturbing manga I've ever read has to be Shamo, probably because it's quite relistic and gruesome.

Ibitsu is also quite disturbing, but not so realistic.
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Bushy Brows MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There are series where you just do not know what is real and what could really happen and what is a bit exaggerated. Those types of surreal works are really disturbing to me. It is very difficult to face that even after a close examination those things can happen in real life.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Never seen Shamo but the most disturbing i've ever read is "I AM A HERO". Its like a japanese Saun of the dead except with the most disgusting zombie concepts you've ever seen. They're not overly complex like stuff from video games or movies rather they are like pale, veiny, super strong and sometimes fast ugly bags of moving rotting meat. I binge read several chapters of this thing and honestly I couldn't sleep that night.
    Last edited by capricorn; May 04, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the disturbing element in kago's work lies in the artwork. i dunno how mattC302 found it comical. mind you i'm no pundit on kago...i only read his Abstraction and it was creepy as hell. i think the reason why mattC302 and some ppl might find kago not creepy is because they are only putting up the value to real events. there isn't any exact event in Abstraction that would qualify it as creepy as a manga with child murder...but its the representation, the arts which directly conveys the sense of pure creepiness. its like a modern art not really drawing any event or picture of anything in physical world, but trying to draw the emotions instead. That's what it felt like to me while reading abstraction...and the experience was like staring at a particularly disfigured ugly thing, which can't stop staring at simply because of the unpleasantness it exudes. since then i haven't picked up another kago work, and if i am ever looking to get that kinda feeling again...i'll look for another kago.

about jiro matsumoto he's work imo definitely has existentialist elements in it...like a work of camut or kafka. disturbing things happen there at a tone which almost equals to a tone in which one would express the most normal and mundane things. personally i didn't find them disturbing, rather oddly comforting, like many other existentialist works. perhaps one would feel so comfortable with such distorted things is in itself very disturbing...so from that pov one could count his works as disturbing. but that isn't exactly the feeling it evokes while reading, at least in my opinion.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Mangaka that create the most disturbing manga titles would be:

1. Takashi Nemoto (the top-tier of making the most filthy and depraved comics, although he only had one that got translated and publishing into english)

2. Shintaro Kago

3. Jun Hayami (has a far more realistic vibe in comparison with Uziga Waita, but not as brutal and gory)

4. Uziga Waita

5. Saizou Horihone

6. Jiro Matsumoto

Look no further for depraved mangaka

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VladdyUrsinovich View Post
    Mangaka that create the most disturbing manga titles would be:

1. Takashi Nemoto (the top-tier of making the most filthy and depraved comics, although he only had one that got translated and publishing into english)

2. Shintaro Kago

3. Jun Hayami (has a far more realistic vibe in comparison with Uziga Waita, but not as brutal and gory)

4. Uziga Waita

5. Saizou Horihone

6. Jiro Matsumoto

Look no further for depraved mangaka
    Someone more disturbing than Waita Uziga?!
    Shintaro Kago was the mangaka of Abtraction right? Pretty cool styleI should definetley check out some of his stuff.
    Jun Hayami has a cool style but still... more rape *sighs*
    Also Jiro Matsumoto's quite a violent mangaka http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...xzyro1_500.jpg

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange how these mangaka can draw perfectly, yet choose to express all of that with violent scenes and odd stuff in their manga. I wonder what would their works be if they were not so disturbing with the same level of art. But I guess that their talent only can go in that direction to fully capture what they want to present.

I can not imagine them drawing a beautiful unicorn or a fairy. Though Miura is a paradox with both disturbing and magical scenes.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Strange how these mangaka can draw perfectly, yet choose to express all of that with violent scenes and odd stuff in their manga. I wonder what would their works be if they were not so disturbing with the same level of art. But I guess that their talent only can go in that direction to fully capture what they want to present.

I can not imagine them drawing a beautiful unicorn or a fairy. Though Miura is a paradox with both disturbing and magical scenes.
    I would love to see Waita Uziga do a story like that, it would be very interesting.
    But I saw an earlier post added by you: would you recommend Eden: it's an endless world? Lately I've just been drawing and I would like to read a decent manga. Due to my internet slowing down to 10kb/sec I cant check out any reviews or check out any pages and I can only roam forum sites with crappy internet. So is it a good manga? would you recommend it?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gantzter127 View Post
    I would love to see Waita Uziga do a story like that, it would be very interesting.
    But I saw an earlier post added by you: would you recommend Eden: it's an endless world? Lately I've just been drawing and I would like to read a decent manga. Due to my internet slowing down to 10kb/sec I cant check out any reviews or check out any pages and I can only roam forum sites with crappy internet. So is it a good manga? would you recommend it?
    Oh most certainly! It is a very unique manga on so manga levels, it has a decent amount of chapters as well, not too much, not too little. I am sure you will love it based on you taste in manga here, it certainly is a great choice. It's a manga you read with passion as well.

I think they can draw beautiful imagery just that it kind of fits for avant-garde to be more disturbing.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2