Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Disturbing Seinen Titles

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Disturbing Seinen Titles

What's the most disturbing and violent manga you have ever read?
    Mine:
    Ichi the Killer
    Abstraction
    Battle Royale

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Disturbing Seinen Titles

The page in BR where Kiriyama shoots Mitsuko in the face and you get to see it up close in all its glory just turned me off the manga completely.

MPD Psycho has some bad cases.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I see MPD physcho advertised in the back of Gantz manga, Looks interesting.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Ibitsu

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything by Matsumoto Jiro or Kago Shintaro. Imo-mushi is the creepiest, most stomach turning, disturbing title I have read that still qualifies as mainstream manga.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    Ibitsu
    Please elaborate more on why do you think it is disturbing?

Well I think Gantz was the first one I ever read that had gore, disturbing violence and graphic sexual content. Though some scenes I think are more disturbing than others, those that involve hopeless situations, but I think Oku takes action into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Anything by Matsumoto Jiro or Kago Shintaro. Imo-mushi is the creepiest, most stomach turning, disturbing title I have read that still qualifies as mainstream manga.
    Kago and Jiro are surely up there. Jiro is a bit more over the top imo.

I can not remember the name currently but there was a manga that was really fitting the "guro" genre I think that I once came across, I think it certainly beats all disturbing stuff I have ever seen.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiro more over the top than Kago? I'm not really sure about that. While his manga are quite dark and contain a considerable amount of mature content, Jiro has never done anything even borderline guro. With the exception of Paranoia Street (not a very good manga by Kago standards), almost all Kago manga have some ero-guro element mixed in. All of his manga are strange, over the top, and gruesome with a lot of dark humor.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Matsumoto Jiro and Kago Shintaro have some pretty messed up stuff, but their works that I read were more comically shocking than disturbing. They can definitely win the medal for some of the oddest manga I have ever read though.

I think the most disturbed I was while reading a manga was when reading 'Eden:It's An Endless World!'. This probably isn't the first manga that comes to mind when most people think "disturbing", but there were several children's deaths in this manga that really bothered me and had me thinking about it long after finishing. The deaths in general were very graphic, while still retaining some sense of realism.

Another manga that disturbed me a bit was Usamaru Furuya's adaptation of 'No Longer Human'. Actually, it's more like depressing, but the fact that a manga can make me feel depressed is disturbing in and of itself. Suicide, drug use, sexual assault. Nothing new to manga or any medium, but it's the way that Furuya drew it(and Osamu Dazai wrote it) that make it the story hit you right in the gut and show you how far a human can fall.

Another manga that most probably wouldn't consider disturbing is 'Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms'. The story itself wasn't exactly disturbing to me, but one aspect of it was. The discrimination of atomic bomb survivors by their fellow Japanese was something I did not know about until I read this manga and I found it really bothersome, sad, surprising, and disturbing. To be disturbed by this, all you have to do is imagine what it must have felt like to be shunned by society and treated as a contagious leper by your own countryman. As if civilians getting caught up in an ugly war didn't suck enough...

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I think the most disturbed I was while reading a manga was when reading 'Eden:It's An Endless World!'. This probably isn't the first manga that comes to mind when most people think "disturbing", but there were several children's deaths in this manga that really bothered me and had me thinking about it long after finishing. The deaths in general were very graphic, while still retaining some sense of realism.
    This. I still remember vividly some graphics that are disturbing my mind.

I think some Umezu Kazuo's works are also disturbing. Maybe I have weak mentality, but some of the scenes from his manga causing me had sleepless nights and felt nauseous .

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Matsumoto Jiro and Kago Shintaro have some pretty messed up stuff, but their works that I read were more comically shocking than disturbing. They can definitely win the medal for some of the oddest manga I have ever read though.

Another manga that disturbed me a bit was Usamaru Furuya's adaptation of 'No Longer Human'. Actually, it's more like depressing, but the fact that a manga can make me feel depressed is disturbing in and of itself. Suicide, drug use, sexual assault. Nothing new to manga or any medium, but it's the way that Furuya drew it(and Osamu Dazai wrote it) that make it the story hit you right in the gut and show you how far a human can fall.

Another manga that most probably wouldn't consider disturbing is 'Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms'. The story itself wasn't exactly disturbing to me, but one aspect of it was. The discrimination of atomic bomb survivors by their fellow Japanese was something I did not know about until I read this manga and I found it really bothersome, sad, surprising, and disturbing. To be disturbed by this, all you have to do is imagine what it must have felt like to be shunned by society and treated as a contagious leper by your own countryman. As if civilians getting caught up in an ugly war didn't suck enough...
    Interesting, you seem to take in a more realistic approach to what is disturbing, well I think horror and gore genres display the "exceptions" in society, but these manga are far more realistic that you describe how the true horror is society with things like rape and drug abuse. At least I view them as a social thing, pushed on the individual by society. Also I think you are right on the mark for getting more disturbed with these more realistic things due to the fact they are a real slap in the face.

As far as the way mangaka tend to draw their characters, I find grotesque characters(used in comedy more often, but still disturbing) are a good way to get the reader into a closer connection to what the mangaka is trying to draw.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Jiro more over the top than Kago? I'm not really sure about that. While his manga are quite dark and contain a considerable amount of mature content, Jiro has never done anything even borderline guro. With the exception of Paranoia Street (not a very good manga by Kago standards), almost all Kago manga have some ero-guro element mixed in. All of his manga are strange, over the top, and gruesome with a lot of dark humor.
    Maybe I should read more Kago then? This thought is disturbing to me now.

I find humor a good way to break away from the odd situations, those that are disturbing or make the reader uncomfortable, also I think action is better as a take away from such things than humor, because it is usually dark humor, which can be a double edged sword.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I just checked out a forum on this other site, and got some really fucked up recommendations. Hell season and Modern stories of the bizarre, these two.... I have never read anything more disgusting and violent as these two...

Filled with a whole lot of one shot stories from some of the most screwed up mangaka, not for the easily disturbed...

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Ibitsu wasn't disturbing It had its touch of horror and violence, but not all that disturbing.
    Last edited by Josef K.; April 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah, what the hell? seriously those mangaka do not have legal issues? Seriously, I think the artistic value of those manga is literally zero! I mean seriously it goes far, but that can be considered hentai as well, even if there are some psychological and tragic parts of the story they fade away due to the violence and graphic nature of the manga, as far as a story goes, it is drastically overshadowed by the imagery. Just compare them with Eden:It's An Endless World!, that is a wonderful piece, and I think there is a difference as to how far and how much of a contrast these manga are.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have too agree, these weren't done by the most talented mangaka, it was done by a bunch of sick perverted old fucks! The art is horrible in most stories, most of the time I was in tears or coming to a point of spreading vomit all over the wall. They're horrible and sick manga... that's it, nothing more.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gantzter127 View Post
    I have too agree, these weren't done by the most talented mangaka, it was done by a bunch of sick perverted old fucks! The art is horrible in most stories, most of the time I was in tears or coming to a point of spreading vomit all over the wall. They're horrible and sick manga... that's it, nothing more.
    Theme wise the rape and graphic portrayals of sex and violence are overused by, so it is nothing than a mere imitation of what already has been done in other media. Too bad such filth and smut has to be put out as manga along with some great pieces of art that there are! The definition of disturbing to me would have to be something that gets me thinking a lot, deeply, though not something that grosses me out and and makes me sick, if it does that I will not even bother to read it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont find mindless depictions of rape and violence disturbing, i find it disgusting, nothing more.
    But it does not hit me emotionally.
    This is why ichi the killer was not disturbing for me.

Over the top action and gore is also either disgusting or hilarious, but not disturbing.

the most disturbing mangas i have read are barefoot gen and shamo, i think, oh, and the ending of anne freaks.
    possibly, if it about cruelty, we could add 7seeds, there are some very gruesome scenes, which are not gory, but very cruel.

In barefoot gen we got the full impact of the atomic bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki, we see the victims, follow the main char, a child, in that wasteland trying to get along and still trying to help other, hopelessly sick people.
    what makes it worse is that it's partly autobiographical.

The art is sketchy, but believe me, if it had vagabond arc it was just too much and it also would not fit the mood.

Shamo is another case.

Is it more gory than other works? No.
    More violent? not really.

But it's mostly rather realistic, so gruesome fight is a gruesome fight, no over the top flying arround and artistically beating up someone with your ki (cept vs son goku, that is.....)

Ryo is a rare example of a main character without any morals except for the duty to care for his sister maybe.

You cannot even consider him as antihero anymore, it is as if he goes arround on a 'kill all characters the audience wille root for' spree.
    strangely, you will keep reading in the first few volumes hating the work and ROOTING for ryo to lose until you got used to him.

the character is hopeless, and this is what is disturbing.

He is evil, but this is because he is weak.
    He is a very twisted and wounded individual, who bites every hand stretched out to him, but even killing all those people, being an arrogant scumbag, even then, sometimes, you will just have to pity him for the things he had to go through and which are haunting him.

there are several ooportunities for ryo to get out of his misery, but in the end, he will lose and fall deeper down into the darkness, and this is what makes this work stand out.

It is disturbing, that there is no hope left.
    For the maincharacter, it is to be evil or to face his deeds and die, and he decides to try to survive no matter what.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast