Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
Thread Closed

Thread: Breaking Zanpakutoh

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Breaking Zanpakutoh

Hey, I wanted to start this discussion since I was curious about what exactly happens when a Zanpakutoh is broken and how one goes about getting it back.

In the early stages of the series, Ichigo has a full katana. During his training with Urahara, after he barely escapes becoming a Hollow, pulls out a broken sword. Supposedly during the ensuing training, that sword is cut down to the hilt. After that, he can't use it anymore.

However, Kenpachi gets his Zanpakuto broken, but it regenerates itself into one piece. What's up with that?

Anyone can help me?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breaking Zanpakutoh

ok here we go, lol in the world of SS a zanpakuto if it gets cut down will regenerate its self but sometimes with time it depends on the user, ichigo and kenpachi are specail as they are always stuck in a "released" state since they have no idea on how to really control that part since they both have a monstrous amount of spiritual energy and never learned how to tune it like the other captain level shinigami. also when ichigo was training with urahra and he regains his powers we see ichigo with his stub sword this is beacuse of when kuchiki breaks his sword. later while training with him ichigo's stub gets turned into even more of a stub not having any idea on how to fix it and finds his resolve awakening his shikai form? i hope this helped u understand at least a little bit im really tired now >.> and im going to sleep
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner defaultizzle's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

^ What the shit? No offence but that didn't make any sense at all. Ichigo is the one whose zanpakutou is in permanent shikai because of his reiatsu. Kenpachi doesn't even know the name of his zanpakutou. The method of regenerating zanpakutou would probably be changing the release state it is in, ie if a shikai is broken, releasing into bankai would regenerate the zanpakutou; and vice versa, as can be seen by Hihiou Zambimaru regenerating into an unbroken katana during the fight against Byakuya. Assuming this is the case, then Kenpachi would have reached at least shikai-level.

Or maybe there are SS blacksmiths.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well w/e i will revise that when i get home i was drunk when i wrote that last night >.> but if i do remember correctly kenpachi's sword is stuck in a released state
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenpachi's sword IS stuck in shikai, and because he has so much power, he can't seal it. Because he doesn't know his Zanpakuto's name, he can't use bankai.

Also, Byakuya's bankai gets broken by Ichigo.

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taniquetil
    Kenpachi's sword IS stuck in shikai, and because he has so much power, he can't seal it. Because he doesn't know his Zanpakuto's name, he can't use bankai.
    it isn't in shikai, he said it like it being constantly released because he doesn't think of shikai as a real release only some blatant cheating-kind ("if you can't fight alone, you're not worthy").
    he asked his zanpakutou it's name and it didn't answer, however the shikai bases on knowing the name of the zanpakutou.

the selfrepair of the zanpakutou bases itself most likely on the spiritual density of the world around it.
    otherwise it could be because of the zanpakutous true forms abilities.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Post Thanks / Like

TTX is right, Kenpachi's soul slayer is not in Shikai, it's just it's natural form. I think it's as simple as it takes time for your soul slayer to gather reiatsu from it's surrondings and mend itself. It's not just a sword, it's a living being created by the shini-gami's reiatsu so it would make since for it to be able to repair it's own wounds. For instance, Soul Society's surrondings are filled with reiatsu (as shwon by Ishida when he removes his quincy glove) so it took no time at all for Byakuya to get his sword back as shown in the chapter where Byakuya and Kenpachi come to get Rukia and Renji (Even though you can't see the actual sword you can at least see the hilt, and his whole entire Bankai was crushed by Ichi-chan).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Jammer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

well from what I remember - the blade is the form of their resolve to fight and to win - if the enemy breaks one's zanpaktu - it means that his resolve is stronger, and the other one accepts his defeat (loses the resolve) - and after s.o regains his resolve - the zanapktu gets its form back

and knowing the name and not knowing the name reflects on the strength of every attack

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

that would be a satisfying explanation for me. The resolve thing sounds about right. And the name is definatly inextricably linked to shikai, which in turn delivers more power, so by extention your theory on the name will pass too.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Silhouette's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taniquetil
    In the early stages of the series, Ichigo has a full katana. During his training with Urahara, after he barely escapes becoming a Hollow, pulls out a broken sword. Supposedly during the ensuing training, that sword is cut down to the hilt. After that, he can't use it anymore.

However, Kenpachi gets his Zanpakuto broken, but it regenerates itself into one piece. What's up with that?

Anyone can help me?
    This is becasue the 1st sword that Ichigo used wasn't his. It was the remaining of Rukia's power and this is why after Ichigo gained his own shinigami powers he had Zengetsu instead of the 1st sword regenrating.
    Zanpaktos do "heal" and this is shown not only in Ichigo's case but also in Renji's. Renji's sword broke after fighting with byakuya and it regenerated later.
    In one of the omakes, Renji asks what happens if a Zanpakuto breaks and Mayuri makes a tempting offer to Renji(don't take omakes seriously though)
    CLICK SIGNATURE ABOVE FOR BLEACH & OP COLOURED PAGES

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Zanpaktou's heal based on the vitality/reitsu and ability of the Shinigami.

The two best examples I think are:

#1, Ichigo versus Kenpachi: Zangetsu breaks, Ichigo's then powered up by Zangetsu/Shirosaki, Zangetsu heals immediately.

#2, Ikkaku versus Eduardo: Hoo-whatever breaks, Ikkaku powers up into Bankai, Hoo-whatever heals immediately.

We also have examples of others' Zanpaktous healing slower, but we have always seen that the Zanpaktous recover at the same rate as the Shinigami.
    --

As for whether Kenpachi is in Shikai or not, Ken-chan said it himself and Yorouchi didn't correct Ichigo when he repeated Ken-chan's assertion that his blade is also perma-shikai. Also, Kenpachi's blade has a unique shape -- a shape that it healed back to after Ichigo broke it. No other sealed-zanpaktou has shown such uniqueness when "sealed". 2 *very* advanced Shinigami have shown the ability to seal their Zanpaktou into alternate forms and Captain-level Shinigami can willfully alter the size of their Zanpaktou. Both of those, however, require very precise control, control which Kenpachi lacks, making it it very unlikely that Ken-chan has willed his "sealed" Zanpaktou into that form.

-Buu

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member delapaz13's Avatar
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

a zanpakuto is the physical representation of a shinigami's spirit(much like the bounto's doll)captains have the ability to suppress thier reiatsu in ordred to mainpulate its size,shape,and over-all appearance.ex.givenbenihime-cane,ryujin jaka-staff:as grimmjaw lost a part of his zanpakuto when he lost his arm.
    "I am the bone of my sword.
    Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand blades.
    Unknown to death.
    Nor known to life.
    Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
    Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
    So as I pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."

http://www.friendster.com/throneofheroes

Thread Closed