Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo

View Poll Results: Which setting do you like best?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • School life!

0 0%
  • Non-school life, like in workplace, or magical places!

1 33.33%
  • I can't choose.

2 66.67%
New Reply

Thread: Life Setting in Shoujo/Josei Series

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Life Setting in Shoujo/Josei Series

Hello there!

Series with shoujo or josei demographics, since they talk about romance a lot, usually have the plot setting or background in school, thus we as readers end up following the life story of a student. From high school to university, or sometimes even children as young as in elementary school (that is a rare case, though, no worries). We may find that more in shoujo series compared to josei. Josei, on the other hand, usually focus in a more mature story plot, talks about people who have worked, in many kinds of job. Not that shoujo do not have settings in non-school places, or josei do not have settings in non-work places.

From these different types of plot settings, which one do you like most? Which one matches the romantic story of shoujo and josei series the best?

P.S.: Don't forget to vote in the poll!
    Last edited by yukihime03; June 17, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Life Setting in Shouojo/Josei Series

I love school setting but I also love historical/fantasy setting! I just can't choose.

I prefer school setting because... I don't know. It's a common setting for shoujo, and even though I feel that the characters seem too young to love that deeply, I am more comfortable with high school or college setting. Workplace is a no-no for me. It feels like that setting is for older people. Maybe it's because I'm still a student myself?
    I also love historical/fantasy setting, and historical setting is more commonly found in josei. When I want to read something heavier than high school love which focus heavily on romance, I will pick the ones with historical/fantasy setting because they usually involve politic or conspiracy .
    I think setting preference will depend on what kind of story someone likes, because setting and plot are heavily connected.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Life Setting in Shouojo/Josei Series

Though I am the one who make the question, I myself can't answer it.

I think we may relate better to school-related stories because we are students ourselves. It feels more natural with all the hardships and problems at school, with family, with friends, and so on. Not that stories not set at schools do not touch readers in the same way. I actually enjoy magical stories more, I guess, fantasy adventure and such because they are so.. different. Historical, not so much, although it does make me interested to see the clothes, the culture, and the likes. XD

New Reply