Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Shoujo/Josei Manga and Their Anime Adaptations

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo/Josei Manga and Their Anime Adaptations

Hello!

As we all know, there are many shoujo series which have been adapted to anime, in addition to several josei titles too. Shoujo series, such as Cardcaptor Sakura by CLAMP or Kimi ni Todoke by Shiina Karuho, have quite successful anime. Recent josei anime show amazing promises as well, say like Chihayafuru and Sakamichi no Apollon.

What do you think of these adaptations? Do you like them better as anime or manga? What are your favorite adaptations? Any anime you wish to be or not to be done?

Have fun!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo/Josei Manga and Their Anime Adaptations

Shoujo anime are mostly not that good because they make the anime before the manga are completed, so the story sometimes changes. Sometimes, the art is not as good as the manga's art too. I'm a bit disappointed in Kaichou wa Maid-sama adaptation because of the ending. While Kimi ni Todoke is good because it follows the manga closely. Chihayafuru is also good though with that ending, I'm hoping for a continuation. I'm someone who likes the anime story to follow the manga closely (except if I don't like the plot in the manga), so this is only my opinion.

And there are so many shoujo that I hope will be made into anime for example, seiyuu-ka.
    It already has drama cd, so I hope that this means it's possible to be made into anime.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Kimi ni Todoke, and Chihayafuru.

I think the fact that shoujo and josei series are rather slow is one of the reason why sometimes the anime adaptations didn't succeed. They put fillers, and since they couldn't put too many fillers they ended up crafting a new plot. Still, Chihayafuru can still be considered an on-going series as well so it is not completely sure, right? XD Whereas it's rather different with La Corda D'Oro which ended rather abruptly. Even the bonus short season didn't leave a good impression at all. As far as I know La Corda is still on-going too.

I personally don't mind if the anime gives something different than the manga or any other original form, as long as the story plot stays the same. As in, fillers are okay as long as they are not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    And there are so many shoujo that I hope will be made into anime for example, seiyuu-ka.
    It already has drama cd, so I hope that this means it's possible to be made into anime.
    Drama CD? Only conversation in voices, no? *confused*

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Whereas it's rather different with La Corda D'Oro which ended rather abruptly. Even the bonus short season didn't leave a good impression at all. As far as I know La Corda is still on-going too.
    Yeah, the La Corda anime indeed ends abruptly. I was hoping that the manga is already finished, they will continue it, but I think the chance for it to happen is small. A shame, really, I want to hear more classical music. And yeah, the short 2nd season is actually kinda useless. It doesn't tell us much except introducing the new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Drama CD? Only conversation in voices, no? *confused*
    Yep, that's Drama CD. I collect drama CD too...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people I met mentioned about how they like Special A. Hmmmm~ I watched it but wasn't too captivated by it. In fact it was rather strange and a bit too annoying for me; Hikari is too dense to a point which made my blood boil and Kei isn't as aggressive as he should have been. :PP I didn't know how it goes with the manga as I didn't read the manga, but looks like the manga is better and has further plot twists after both finally confessed?

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I only watch Special A coz Kei is voiced by JunJun. But yeah, the anime is a bit disappointing, and even until now, I and my friends still facepalm over Hikari's stupidity. She's like, the most dense girl in the realm of anime/manga. As for Kei, he isn't aggressive for a good reason, really. I mean, no matter how aggressive he is, Hikari will only take it the wrong way.
    I don't read the manga, but my friends who read it said that it's better, and they like the mangaka's work which is why Seiyuu-ka is quite popular right now. (Seiyuu-ka and Special A are by the same mangaka... so my friends said.)

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What about other anime adaptations? Say, Cardcaptor Sakura or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Cardcaptor Sakura anime has so many episodes, with the addition of two bigger/longer movies as the conclusion. The anime has many differences with the manga, lots of additional cards and characters. Not that it is not fun, but I actually think the length and the direction of the manga is just the perfect size for the series; the anime feels a bit too long and only to make fans happier. As for Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, I didn't really watch it but I've seen the screencaps. Looks like the graphic is not very good. Too bad since the manga is so awesome. <3

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a real fan of the Natsume series. I have not read the manga that closely but I think they were quite respectful and if there are fillers you don't notice them.
    Lately, I've watched Apollon which seems to be quite successful if we look at the anime thread post. The anime makes some ellipse and some minor changes but in the end the adaptation is good and the jazz music scenes are definitively more enjoyable under that format. In fact the adaptation is quite to good and in the end you don't retrieve the simple and minimalist art of Yuki Kodama but it's not really a problem.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say for Cardcaptor Sakura since I don't read the manga, but for Natsume... .
    There are eps that follow the manga quite closely, but there are, of course, fillers. In my opinion, they don't feel like fillers because every eps is independent story (still in Midorikawa-sensei's style of story, of course) and does not in any way disrupt the main story. I even think that the fillers have great stories (and some made me cry). The only thing that is different and disturb me a bit is that Natsume's hair and eye color are changed from silver to gold. Natsume is still handsome, of course, but that change is quite major.

New Reply