Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Shirokuma Cafe

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Shirokuma Cafe

Title: Shirokuma Cafe
    Alternative Titel: Polar Bear Cafe
    Episodes: 12 ( ?? )
    Producers: Studio Pierrot
    Genre: comedy, slice of life

Cast: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=13985

Summary: The "White Bear Cafe" is run by a polar bear, and serves both humans and animals daily.

Opening Theme: "Boku no Invitation" (ボクにインビテーション Boku ni Inbitēshon; My Invitation) by JP
    Ending Theme: "Bamboo☆Scramble." by Jun Fukuyama

Torrents: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=search&cats...olar+Bear+Cafe

One of the best comedy-series of this season, no doubt^^

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shirokuma Cafe

I'm not totally into pure comedy with no action or whatsoever...but just feel like I need to thank you for actually bringing this into my attention. This initially was one of the animes that I almost swear I'll not watch ever since I read the summary, since I want some real actions and stuff. But then I saw the thread, came in, "Meh, let's just check out the cast for the fun of it"...got hooked by the incredibly beautiful cast, went to watch it, and..."OK, I'm on for this". (My seiyuu love is scary...>.>")

Thanks so much for that, TemplateR. >_<"

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

My case was the same with Ju-da-su. I was thinking that I need anime with more action or mystery but after seeing the cast... my heart swayed. And then, fortunately, my friend watched it and showed it to me. I almost cried hearing JunJun's voice... So cute but at the same time, it's so not JunJun that I do not know if I almost cried from the cuteness or irony.
    This anime is full of cuteness in my opinion, and sometimes it's really hilarious. I can relate to Panda's laziness but I think I like Penguin more. He's hilarious when he's drunk. Llama is my second favorite because of his expression. I laugh every time Llama and Penguin interact, because in my mind, I hear HiroC and OnoD (aren't they bored of each other already?), and this time, Llama is the one to make fun (unintentionally?) of Penguin since HiroC is the one who often makes fun of OnoD (is Ono happy for the reversed role? ).
    Oh, and I love the puns. Polar Bear, you help me to broaden my Japanese vocabulary, keep up the good work!

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm finally caught up with this anime although admittedly I skipped around a few episodes. The setting is basically a utopia for animal lovers: different species get along with each other, and they also live peacefully beside humans. It's funny how no one bats an eye at animals being capable of communication and running a business in this town. (One episode showed how weird this actually is though!)

All the characters are adorable, but my favourite is probably Penguin. His attempts at brining order to the chaos that Panda and Polar Bear creates, and his crush on Penko are hilarious. His nephew is cute as pie, and I hope we'll see more of his family since it was implied that he has lots.

I, too, am amazed at how many prominent seiyuus are cast in this series. I'm only a budding seiyuu fan, but I'm familiar with most of the actors.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    All the characters are adorable, but my favourite is probably Penguin. His attempts at brining order to the chaos that Panda and Polar Bear creates, and his crush on Penko are hilarious. His nephew is cute as pie, and I hope we'll see more of his family since it was implied that he has lots.
    My favorite is Penguin too (and his adorable nephew)! Though I'm rather biased since HiroC is his seiyuu. He's like the voice of reason of the group (no wonder he gets along with Grizzly Bear), though it means he's often the target of "bullying". His only silly moments were whenever Miss Penko, Penjolina, etc, etc are involved.

I, too, am amazed at how many prominent seiyuus are cast in this series. I'm only a budding seiyuu fan, but I'm familiar with most of the actors.
    Right? My friends still cries (in desperation) over the fact that Shirokuma has Cloud's voice.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    My favorite is Penguin too (and his adorable nephew)! Though I'm rather biased since HiroC is his seiyuu. He's like the voice of reason of the group (no wonder he gets along with Grizzly Bear), though it means he's often the target of "bullying". His only silly moments were whenever Miss Penko, Penjolina, etc, etc are involved.
    I was actually shocked when I looked at the closing credits and saw Kamiya Hiroshi as Penguin. I'm a bad fan and didn't expect him to be able to produce a "bratty" type of voice. He's doing a great job as Penguin, and it seems that he's having a lot of fun with this role.

It's hilariously sad that no one praises Penguin for pulling the group together and makes fun of him instead. His moments with Miss Penko was funny because he's been talking about it non-stop, and it was made even more amusing when the plot twist was revealed.

Quote Quote:
    Right? My friends still cries (in desperation) over the fact that Shirokuma has Cloud's voice.
    It's strange isn't it? Shirokuma also has Kanda's voice.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I watch this show, the more amazed I became of the cast. I mean, this anime has the best cast out of all the anime I watch this year...or even the year before too. Just amazing. X3

...Not to mention, don't know if anyone notice this (probably not... ._."), but Shirokuma Cafe have at least 4 male seiyuus voicing supposedly female characters, so far. At least there are four that I recognized.

And...have to agree, HiroC did a wonderful job with Penguin-san. Not the first time I've seen him doing that kind of voice, but it's just amusing how he always tries so hard to be the straight man. I think he and Grizzly are my favorites (I love seeing how hard they try to be the straight men with Panda-kun and Shirokuma-kun. Seiyuus are all top-notched anyway, so there's no bias with me. Ishida-san isn't even in the show yet. :3 )

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually shocked when I looked at the closing credits and saw Kamiya Hiroshi as Penguin. I'm a bad fan and didn't expect him to be able to produce a "bratty" type of voice. He's doing a great job as Penguin, and it seems that he's having a lot of fun with this role.

It's hilariously sad that no one praises Penguin for pulling the group together and makes fun of him instead. His moments with Miss Penko was funny because he's been talking about it non-stop, and it was made even more amusing when the plot twist was revealed.
    I first watched this anime because of the cast. I was wondering how they would voiced animals, and my reaction when I first heard was laughing in despair.
    Actually that means the seiyuu have done a very good job though I just feel a bit ironic. I can hear Cloud in Shirokuma and Penguin's voice is shrill, really shrill. Don't get me started at Panda. But yeah, I guess all the cast have a lot of fun at voicing these characters.

Yeah, poor Penguin. Everyone keeps making fun of him, especially Panda these days. That situation with Miss Penko, Penjolina, Penuelle, etc, etc, only makes things worst for him.

It's strange isn't it? Shirokuma also has Kanda's voice.
    Indeed. But I think it's more of Cloud's voice.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ju-da-su View Post
    The more I watch this show, the more amazed I became of the cast. I mean, this anime has the best cast out of all the anime I watch this year...or even the year before too. Just amazing. X3
    Amazing. Yeah. I was amazed.

...Not to mention, don't know if anyone notice this (probably not... ._."), but Shirokuma Cafe have at least 4 male seiyuus voicing supposedly female characters, so far. At least there are four that I recognized.
    Four? I only know Panda's mother, since her voice is obviously masculine, but I don't know about the other three.

And...have to agree, HiroC did a wonderful job with Penguin-san. Not the first time I've seen him doing that kind of voice, but it's just amusing how he always tries so hard to be the straight man. I think he and Grizzly are my favorites (I love seeing how hard they try to be the straight men with Panda-kun and Shirokuma-kun. Seiyuus are all top-notched anyway, so there's no bias with me. Ishida-san isn't even in the show yet. :3 )
    HiroC's voice is rather shrill, but he takes it up to eleven when voicing Penguin.
    It's a bit sad that Grizzly doesn't show up often, eh?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It made me LOL when I found out that Morikawa Toshiyuki was Panda's mother. I mostly know him in cool biseinen roles so this was unexpected. He's surprisingly pretty good at voicing a woman female panda.

Quote Quote:
    Ishida... Akira? If so I can't wait!

I first watched this anime because of the cast. I was wondering how they would voiced animals, and my reaction when I first heard was laughing in despair.
    Actually that means the seiyuu have done a very good job though I just feel a bit ironic. I can hear Cloud in Shirokuma and Penguin's voice is shrill, really shrill. Don't get me started at Panda. But yeah, I guess all the cast have a lot of fun at voicing these characters.
    "Laughing in despair"? Oh no! I get what you mean though. The characters in Shirokuma are completely different from any of the other roles they had.

Quote Quote:
    Yeah, poor Penguin. Everyone keeps making fun of him, especially Panda these days. That situation with Miss Penko, Penjolina, Penuelle, etc, etc, only makes things worst for him.
    He's the epitome of Butt Monkey imo! Nothing goes his way so you feel bad... but you mostly find it funny instead.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

It made me LOL when I found out that Morikawa Toshiyuki was Panda's mother. I mostly know him in cool biseinen roles so this was unexpected. He's surprisingly pretty good at voicing a woman female panda.
    I was a bit shocked when I hear Panda's mom voice... So.. masculine.

"Laughing in despair"? Oh no! I get what you mean though. The characters in Shirokuma are completely different from any of the other roles they had.
    Actually I already expect JunJun to make it different since he's known as a seiyuu who often take on different types of characters. But I just didn't expect that his voice would be so... lazy. But well, it suits Panda's character.
    As for HiroC, I know that he voiced an animal before this, a squirrel named Juli in Brother's Conflict otome game, but again.. I didn't expect that shrill voice. I'm starting to wonder whether HiroC really likes to voice animals.

He's the epitome of Butt Monkey imo! Nothing goes his way so you feel bad... but you mostly find it funny instead.
    Right? I keep saying "I'm really sorry, Penguin, but it's funny!" whenever everyone is treating him as their butt monkey.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit shocked when I hear Panda's mom voice... So.. masculine.
    Yeah, I guess the mom sounds more masculine upon a closer listen. It's a husky voice so it can definitely pass as being a woman's.

Quote Quote:
    Actually I already expect JunJun to make it different since he's known as a seiyuu who often take on different types of characters. But I just didn't expect that his voice would be so... lazy. But well, it suits Panda's character.
    As for HiroC, I know that he voiced an animal before this, a squirrel named Juli in Brother's Conflict otome game, but again.. I didn't expect that shrill voice. I'm starting to wonder whether HiroC really likes to voice animals.
    His voice really does suit Panda's character! Jun doesn't seem like he's trying very hard, which is appropriate since Panda is a lazy character. (Ironically I'm pretty sure he's trying hard to sound like he's not actually trying hard. XD)

It looks like Hiroshi is suited for voicing small animals. At first I was worried that he didn't have a range so to speak, but I'm glad he proved me wrong with Penguin.

Quote Quote:
    Right? I keep saying "I'm really sorry, Penguin, but it's funny!" whenever everyone is treating him as their butt monkey.
    Other than Grizzly, he's probably the strongest willed character of the bunch. Let's hope there will be at least an episode where things will go his way.

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, just got the time to watch last week's episode, and I start to think that maybe they just want most of the animals in this series to be voiced by male seiyuus (just to note on something, Mama Red Squirrel and King Penguin are also voiced by male seiyuus...Miyata...doesn't surprise me one bit since it's within his usual range, but I did laugh a bit when I see Hiyama doing female voice...and Mori Mori as well, of course)

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably it is like that.

Female seiyuu voicing male is common, but male seiyuu voicing female, and to top that off, female animals, is something new. It's really fun to hear the voices though...

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pops back in because I really can't resist...the new ED...>.>"

After I watched that ED, the only thing that ran through my mind is "…よく頑張りましたね、「帝王ママ」…" (Way to go, Emperor Mama) I mean, I was surprised enough when I first heard MoriMori doing female animal voice...and now he's already singing with that voice. You've really give it all you got, have you, MoriMori...*touched*

Speaking of the ED which changes every month for this series, Grizzly's ED still is my fav out of all of them, but now I'm really moved by MoriMori's effort to sing with his female voice. >_<"

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally caught up to Episode 39.

When they mentioned New Years guest, I thought it would be RinRin who would make himself at home in Panda's house. However, it turns out that it was actually Penguin! It was funny how everyone but Panda welcomed Penguin with open arms due to his company and help around the house. I could empathize with Panda's effort to make Penguin go home as well: you don't want to be too blunt so you have to give several hints to express how you really feel.

New Reply