Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Anti-Climax in Hunter x Hunter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti-Climax in Hunter x Hunter

I wrote this in another thread but I feel it deserves a thread of it's own for discussion purposes and so it doesn't derail the other thread. The topic is the use of 'anti-climaxes' in Hunter x Hunter.

One thing you will notice with Hunter x Hunter is the all of the story arcs end in an anti-climax of some form or another. It's a staple of the series. I really love that most of the arcs end not with a bang but with a real honest human moment. Even the most violent arc of all ends in such a way with the most monstrous creature known to man Meryem discovering the value of humanity. Let's look at all the arcs endings just briefly shall we?

- Hunter Exam Arc: Ends in anticlimax with Gon being knocked out in the final phase only to wake up realising everything is over.
    - Zoldyck Family Arc: Ends in anticlimax after Killua is simply let go by his Father and Grandfather.
    - Heaven's Arena Arc: Ends in anticlimax after Gon is defeated by Hisoka.
    - York New Cirty Arc: Ends in anticlimax after both warring parties make an exchange and go their separate ways.
    - Greed Island Arc: Ends in anticlimax after Gon and Killua discover that 'Nigg' is not Ging but in fact Kite.
    - Chimera Ants Arc: Ends in anticlimax after the King is defeated by poison and quietly passes away with Komugi.
    - Election Arc: Ends in anticlimax after Pariston immediately resigns from position of Chairman after winning. Also Ging and Gon meet on anticlimactic terms.

That's every arc in the series all ending in anticlimax. All of these represent a truthful moment of humanity:

- Hunter Exam Arc: Ending represents 'Disappoint'.
    - Zoldyck Family Arc: Ending represents 'Freedom'.
    - Heaven's Arena Arc: Ending represents 'Defeat' and 'Power'.
    - York New City Arc: Ending represents 'Compromise'.
    - Greed Island Arc: Ending represents 'Surprise'.
    - Chimera Ants Arc: Ending represents 'Love'.
    - Election Arc: Ending represents 'Trolling''Expectations'

Sorry for my analysis, just this talk of anticlimax endings got me going haha. I strongly believe that Togashi has the mentality that it's not about the destination, but about the journey. That is true for all of his arcs in Hunter x Hunter.
    Last edited by futurefrog; April 19, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti-Climax in Hunter x Hunter

Quite the nice analysis. Though to be fair, what made me have mixed fellings in the Heaven's arena arc ending was mostly the fact that they never tried to go as up as to fight in the Olimpian Battle (I think it's typed like that) as Gon originally planned to do. I still have my hopes to see him coming back (maybe to train again, like before, but by himself mostly).
    I'm such a daydreamer... <_<

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah with heaven's arena it was little of both Climax and anti-climax. Either way i liked how everything wasn't overdone, no cheesy shit, just blunt and straight to the point. That's probably why this is my most favoritest series!!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Greed Island had the best ending I think. I just love the surprise and how it leads into the Chimera Ants arc. Also, the Hunter Exam's anti-climatic ending was pretty cool because it reinforces the idea that the exam was not yet over.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BlackListHunter's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess You could say that's Togashi's Style,The Ending of Each arc of Yu Yu Hakusho are kinda similar in a way
    Last edited by BlackListHunter; April 20, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think anti-climax is a technique that many would think isn't good because some wouldn't see the pay off, but Togashi does anti-climax right. He gives it a feel of humanity, in the end each arc ultimately ends in anti-climax because in reality, nothing usually ends in a big finish. Togashi is tapping that honesty and humanity when he uses anti-climax, he did the same thing in YYH but to a lesser extent. I don't think he believes in the big explosion ending, thats why his arc endings are so memorable, because subverting expectations allows him to write a more realistic and meaningful ending then 'EXPLOSION ATTACK!!!'

It's all about the journey, not the destination

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sea Hunter's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice analysis, though on heaven's arena it wasn't anticlimactic since Gon's goal was to punch Hisoka in the face and return his card not beat him, and they only put a goal to reach max floor just to learn what nen is not for floor itself so..

And ye for some reason whenever you hear anti climax you expect the story to suck like in most mangas but Togashi does it with an unexpected twist while keeping the overall story enjoyable, pretty much what the above poster said.

New Reply