Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: The "What If" Moments.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

The "What If" Moments.

What if...

...Mashiro never got hospitalised during the run of Detective Trap. Do you think it would've become as popular as PCP is now today?

What if...

...Nanamine's last manga, 100 Million and the Beautiful Girl actually made it into the top 3 during that challenge. Do you think Nanamine's method would've won over Team Fukuda?

What if...

...Nobuhiro Mashiro never died. Do you think he'd be like Azuma? o_O;
    Okay a better question would be I wonder if he'd have as much of an inspiration over Moritaka as he has today?

Now that the series has ended, let's imagine and talk about the "what if's" of Bakuman. What would happen and what directions do you think it would've taken.
    -

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "What If" Moments.

I don't think Nanamine's manga would've succeeded. Well, that's a bit of a broad question, because it divides into "Do you think Nanamine's manga would have succeeded?" and "Do you think Nanamine's manga would have been portrayed in Bakuman as successful?" and the answer to the first is very highly debatable, while the answer to the second is a definite no. The Bakuman world is of course written by people that think this is a flawed way of doing things, and they'd portray it as failing even though realistically speaking, it would sometimes succeed and it could maybe not be THAT messy. I don't know how it would actually work, but no one really tried it. Besides, the person running it wouldn't be idiotic enough to include all 50 ideas, it could maybe be a more successful discussion of 50 people who are very smart and want to do what's best for the manga, and thus vote on decisions. Wait, no, this method is the company one, right? Well, same thing. It could also work really well. It's just something people have to actually try, that's the problem with Bakuman. If everyone knew what methods work for manga popularity, all the manga in WSJ would be on par with One Piece's popularity, and this is of course not the case.

If Mashiro never got hospitalized, I think Detective Trap would've stayed, and I think the "perfect crime" elements of PCP would've been added to Detective Trap to make it more interesting in its later days, and it of course would be a completely different system from PCP, but... They'd blend together and I believe Detective Trap would have achieved the position PCP has today. I don't think Tanto helped their experience too much, so missing it wouldn't have been a big deal. It's also highly dependent on when Hattori would've joined them, so I really don't know.

If Nobuhiro never died, he wouldn't resort to be Nanamine's pawn, but he'd still be trying to get serialized. I don't think he'd be as much of an inspiration to Moritaka, because unfortunately Nobuhiro wasn't very good and if Nobuhiro was alive today, Mashiro would've surpassed him long ago. The reason he's so easy to idolize is that he's no longer there and the flaws can no longer truly be seen, he only remembers his sheer determination to do his best, and Moritaka learns a lot from this. Anyway, I think his characteristic of such a well idealized role model requires him being dead, and I don't think it would've happened the same if he was alive.
    BUT! I do think Moritaka would've gotten serialized all the same. Perhaps he'd be even better considering he wouldn't have stopped dreaming of it since he was a kid, but who knows if he would work with Takagi or whatever.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Nobuhiro has a stronger influence if he was dead (man, this is so depressing...) but I think he would be just as influential if he was alive as well. It's his unresolved goals that ultimately inspire Mashiro, that feeling of being helpless. If he were still alive, I can picture him retiring from manga (much like Azuma [or even Arai]) and being the mentor figure for Mashiro. Mashiro might be more skilled but he lacks the experience (note the "not a stand alone's stand alone"). So in essence, I think Bakuman would still be Bakuman but with a quirky introduction, and probably a quicker growth. Almost ala Initial D, in a way.

I think if Detective Trap had continued on, I can see it getting an anime and being the piece that nets them the first half of the dream. Memory's a bit hazy but it did tie with Crow before he lost to exhaustion. Things would've been a bit quick, and we'd probably miss a good chunk of the other characters in some cases, but it would give more focus on Azuki's half as she strives to become a popular seiyuu. Thus bringing more romance into the story.

That brings us to another point.

What if...

...Hattori was never replaced by Miura when Trap started? I think it gives more credit to Detective Trap actually becoming an anime one day. Besides the Mashiro over working himself thing, I like to put half of the blame on the useless Miura for Detective Trap's downfall as well.
    -

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if Hattori was never replaced by Miura, Detective Trap would've become an anime.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I agree with that idea. They only brought in Miura as the "new thing that stops Ashirogi from achieving an anime." Without him, it would've probably done much better. Hmm, maybe not anime, but I don't know. It would've been a better first piece, regardless. And I think if they skipped Tanto it would've been better as well, and Hattori could've taken them on a quicker path to Reversi and it could've beat Crow. I still think the ten years were necessary, though, so I don't know how fast things would go.

New Reply