Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character Archive Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character Archive Thread

Welcome to MangaHelpers Monthly Featured Character thread! In this thread you will find general information and description about a certain character from a shoujo/josei series for each month. Feel free to talk and discuss about the featured character here at this thread. You can send me a PM if you have a suggestion for next month's featured character. Enjoy reading!

Warning! Information below may contain spoilers.

September 2011 Shoujo/Josei Featured Character

Name: Ayuzawa Misaki
    Birthday: September 29th
    Height/Weight: 165 cm/49 kg
    Zodiacal Sign: Libra
    Blood Type: B
    Special Skill: Aikido
    Series: Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Ayuzawa Misaki is the female lead character of Kaichou wa Maid-sama!. Living with her mother, Ayuzawa Minako, and her little sister, Ayuzawa Suzuna, in a standard house, Misaki struggles in life to help the household as well as sustain her education. Her father had abandoned the family and left them with huge debt, which Misaki must pay as well. For all those responsibilities, she worked in various places until she works permanently at the moment at a maid café named Maid Latté.

Misaki is a student of Seika High School. The school was originally an all-boy school. Now that it has changed to a co-ed school, Misaki managed to become the student council president and performed well in academic. However, she loses to one of the boys there, Usui Takumi. Later on these two would develop romantic feelings toward each other. Misaki is feared as a president because she works hard to make sure that the rules are being followed and that girls won't have trouble at this ex-all-boys school.

Misaki has two best friends at school: Hanazono Sakura and Kaga Shizuko. She also becomes best friends with the manager and fellow staff members of Maid Latté. Later she also meets again with her childhood friend, Shintani Hinata, who seems to have romantic feelings towards Misaki.

Misaki has a tough characteristic. Straight forward, a bit short-tempered, and very strict. Having to live in a family left by the father, she works hard at school and at her workplace. She wants to prove that she would be fine by herself without the help of boys. Thinking that far, she learns aikido and pushes herself to the limit of working, studying, and managing student council. Nevertheless, she finds it troublesome when she realizes that she has feelings towards Usui Takumi, a boy who falls under her category of 'annoying, perverted alien'. She is worried about her 'mask' as the 'good girl' and so hesitates about lots of things, especially about love. Slowly but surely, she manages to open herself and learn to be a better person.

Follow Ayuzawa Misaki and her journey at Kaichou wa Maid-sama!.

Sources: MyAnimeList, Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Wikia Page
    Last edited by phio_chan; October 28, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Sep2011] MangaHelpers Monthly Featured Character - Ayuzawa Misaki

Ah.. Misaki. That lucky girl (who is disliked by Usui Fan Club.. ).
    I do admire her for her leadership and toughness but I think she's thinking too much about her image as the student council president. Thankfully,
    Spoiler show

My favorite Misaki quote: "Ahou Usui!"

Anyway, "Living with her mother, Ayuzawa Minako, and her little sister, Ayuzawa Minako". Her mother and her sister have the same name?

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Ah.. Misaki. That lucky girl (who is disliked by Usui Fan Club.. ).
    I do admire her for her leadership and toughness but I think she's thinking too much about her image as the student council president. Thankfully,
    Spoiler show

My favorite Misaki quote: "Ahou Usui!"
    Lucky, really? She is quite lucky or not-so-lucky for having that many enemies from Usui's fan club, as you said. XD But considering her characters, she would crush all her enemies without problem, so yeah. :3 I agree that she refrains herself too much. Catching up to be someone perfect, she abandoned the fun of life and live a standard life. That is, until that one "ahou" entered her life. XD I like the development of her character, though she is is still as wild as ever. XD

Another thing quite interesting for me is Misaki being stubborn and would try to finish all the tasks by herself, depending on no one. She wanted to prove herself that she could stand alone well without help, especially from boys. I think I am somehow like that too sometimes. XD

Anyway, "Living with her mother, Ayuzawa Minako, and her little sister, Ayuzawa Minako". Her mother and her sister have the same name?
    My bad. Corrected, thanks for the notification!

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Lucky, really? She is quite lucky or not-so-lucky for having that many enemies from Usui's fan club, as you said. XD But considering her characters, she would crush all her enemies without problem, so yeah. :3 I agree that she refrains herself too much. Catching up to be someone perfect, she abandoned the fun of life and live a standard life. That is, until that one "ahou" entered her life. XD I like the development of her character, though she is is still as wild as ever. XD

Another thing quite interesting for me is Misaki being stubborn and would try to finish all the tasks by herself, depending on no one. She wanted to prove herself that she could stand alone well without help, especially from boys. I think I am somehow like that too sometimes. XD
    Or Usui will crush her enemies for her. They are quite an invincible couple. Well, I won't say she's wild but she's indeed unfeminine (though as a maid, she can be quite feminine).

Yeah, for a girl who lives her life without a male figure and with the notion of "all men are jerks" in mind, it's no surprise that she tends to stand up for herself. I am one too. Most of my life I spend with girlfriends and since I was a child, the boys had proven themselves to be jerks (no offense, boys, but boys in my life are like that) so I was harsh with them. I can understand Misaki's position quite well. But now I think Usui changes everything for her and it's for her best too.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I won't say she's wild but she's indeed unfeminine (though as a maid, she can be quite feminine).
    I think it's the clothes that makes her look feminine, lol.

The other thing that I found funny from her is that she can't cook. XD Mostly it's her sister who cooks at home, right? And when she wants to make a food for Usui, mostly it turns out bad. XD

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I think it's the clothes that makes her look feminine, lol.

The other thing that I found funny from her is that she can't cook. XD Mostly it's her sister who cooks at home, right? And when she wants to make a food for Usui, mostly it turns out bad. XD
    But she is quite feminine when she says "Okaeri, goshujin-sama!"

Haha. My friends once said that Kei and Usui are similar coz they happily eat something so inedible because it is made by their lovers. :P Misaki is indeed a bit similar with Hikari coz both of them make super hard onigiri.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Chiaki Shinichi

Welcome to MangaHelpers Monthly Featured Character thread! In this thread you will find general information and description about a certain character from a shoujo/josei series. Feel free to talk and discuss about the featured character here at this thread. You can send me a PM if you have a suggestion for next month's featured character. Enjoy reading!

October 2011 Shoujo/Josei Featured Character

Name: Chiaki Shinichi
    Birthplace:
    Paris
    Birthday: February 17th
    Height/Weight: 181 cm/???
    Zodiacal Sign: Aquarius
    Blood Type: O
    Special Skill(s): Playing piano, playing violin, conducting, cooking,
    speaking various languages (Japanese, English, French, and German), social dancing
    Hobbies: art appreciation, reading, jogging
    Food he likes:
    Italian food, vegetables, wine
    Food he dislikes: natto (fermented soybeans)
    Series: Nodame Cantabile

Chiaki Shinichi started his journey on Nodame Cantabile as a student of Momogaoka Music Academy. He joined the piano category, even though what he truly wanted was the conducting category. Shinichi's father is a famous conductor. He studied piano and violin ever since he was young, though he was more interested in conducting ever since he was taught how to do so by Sebastiano Viera, one of world's well-known professional conductor. Being brought up in quite a rich family, Shinichi had no idea what 'poverty' actually means and associated 'poor' people like the girl selling match in the winter nights.

Shinichi wanted to be a conductor, like his favorite teacher, Sebastiano Vierra. But due to an accident with airplane and ship during his childhood, he became traumatic and was so afraid if he had to travel using those vehicles. He ended up avoiding going anywhere using plane or ship. That resulted in depression; unable to leave Japan to do what he wanted, yet he couldn't concentrate on studying as a pianist in the academy. At such point he met a strange, freak girl named Noda Megumi (Nodame) who turned out to be his neighbor. With the help of Nodame, Shinichi managed to change himself slowly and reached his dreams.

Shinichi is known as an independent man. He knows how to cook by himself; he often demonstrates this skill to cook for Nodame and his friends. He is also a very clean and tidy person; he dislikes dirt and would try to keep his belongings clean and lovely. On the other side, Shinichi is also known to be a perfectionist, sometimes too much of a perfectionist that he would seem annoying. He would not hesitate to criticize others in terms of musical performance or motivation, and he would also try to make his performance perfect that he ends up ignoring other important things. As he hangs out around Nodame, he began to enjoy and appreciate his music and others' music more freely. He also can be considered as insensitive, demonstrated when he was not aware of romantic relationship between Mine and Kiyora.

Follow Chiaki Shinichi at Nodame Cantabile!

Sourced: MyAnimeList, Nodame Cantabile Wikia

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Nana

Welcome to MangaHelpers Monthly Featured Character thread! In this thread you will find general information and description about a certain character from a shoujo/josei series. Feel free to talk and discuss about the featured character here at this thread. You can send me a PM if you have a suggestion for next month's featured character. Enjoy reading!

November 2011 Shoujo/Josei Featured Couple

Name: Nana Osaki (left) & Nana Komatsu (right)
    Birthday: March 5th, 1981 / November 30th, 1980
    Height/Weight: 162 cm, 43 kg / 158 cm, 46 kg
    Series: NANA

Nana Osaki and Nana Komatsu are two girls sharing the same name but a completely different life from the famous josei series NANA. The two, despite the different background, lived together in room 707 to achieve their dreams.

Nana Osaki was raised not to be a feminine girl by her grandmother, abandoned by her own mother. She is known for being tomboy and 'wild', once accused of involved in a prostitution. She loved to wear punk dress like the style of Vivienne Westwood. She then joined a punk band named Black Stones (Blast) because she fell in love with one of the members, Ren Honjo. The two parted ways when Ren wanted to take a chance to debut with a better band. As she tried to change her fate with the band at Tokyo, she met Nana Komatsu.

Nana Komatsu, unlike Osaki, came from a large and happy household. She is the second daughter of the family. She came to Tokyo also to find her dreams, but she ended up helping Blast in various situation. She easily fell in love, and had been together with some men before he met Shoji Endo. But they eventually broke up and Komatsu settled in with Takumi Ichinose, leader and bassist of Trapnest, Ren's new band. Komatsu has a habit of falling in love at first sight all the time, and depends on other people to help her.

These two Nana lived together in an apartment numbered 707 (with 7 read as "nana" in Japanese) during their stay in Tokyo. Eventually they grew to be a close friend, giving advice and helping each other in their way. Osaki gave Komatsu the nickname "Hachi" (eight). Osaki also acted protective of Komatsu in quite the extreme way, even once threatening Shoji. Osaki felt as if she owned Komatsu, thus easily got jealous when she felt like Komatsu was to be taken away from her. Komatsu, on the other side, helped Osaki with band and romance-related matters. She helped Osaki to get a bassist for Blast before, and later she helped Osaki to be reunited with Ren.

The two eventually got separated as they married and decided to follow their husbands and continue on the career. They once met again on Reira's birthday party and on the engagement day of Komatsu and Takumi, but after that they went on their own ways again. It is still unclear whether they would be reunited again someday.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Nana

Thank you for featuring this, phio-chan!

I love this series because of its character depth and that it's easy to relate.

I like them both and it's their relationship that is admirable, vs. the individual traits that they have.

Komatsu Nana (Hachi) started out as a really annoying girl as she was too blinded by love. But in her defense, her going through pregnancy despite everything is commendable.

Oosaki Nana is easily lovable because she is so cool. But because she tries to be too cool, she can't seem to sacrifice certain things for love. There are things she can't say because she worries too much, which ends up plaguing her. Very opposite to Hachi who just says things like they don't mean anything.

I love how they are so opposite to each other. Hachi lives for romance, Nana can't seem to accept romance. Hachi has no career in mind, Nana can't sacrifice her career for love. But their bond is quite unique because of this.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Risa Koizumi/Atsushi Ootani

December 2011 Shoujo/Josei Featured Character

Name: Risa Koizumi (left) & Atsushi Ootani (right)
    Birthday: August 3rd / March 25th
    Height: 172 cm / 156 cm
    Series: Lovely Complex (Love Com)

Risa Koizumi is one special girl; not in terms of any special abilities, but because she has a height above average girls' height. It is ironic that her name contains the word 'little' while she is actually as tall as 172 cm, giving her the nickname 'giraffe'. Atsushi Ootani, on the other hand, is also one special boy. In total opposite of Risa, Ootani is a very short boy compared to his friends, standing 156 cm only. Another similarity is that his name contains the word 'big' as an irony. These two become objects for bullying of their friends.

Those outstanding heights, obviously, bring problems in their life, especially in terms of romance. Both have a hard time getting in relationship because of their heights and are easily hurt because of it. Ootani even had a painful experience with his ex-girlfriend, whom he thought left him because of his height. These two eventually started to have feelings to each other, but somehow hesitated to tell each other about it. Risa is the one who confessed to Ootani first, and it didn't go well. Those two had awkward moments for a while before finally able to sort things out and let each other knew the feelings inside properly. They started going out, got jealous of several friends they made on the way, but managed to get through it and keep on going as a couple.

Risa's character is described as impulsive and strong-willed. She is the type who dislikes to show her inner, softer side to others. Ootani is considered as one thoughtless and rude boy. Though as the story advances, it is shown how he is actually kind and somehow silly at heart. These two make a great combination with their stubborn and open characteristics, even as a couple.

Follow Risa Koizumi and Atsushi Ootani at Lovely Complex!

Sources: MyAnimeList (Risa Koizumi), MyAnimeList (Atsushi Ootani)

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Ayase Chihaya

January 2012 Shoujo/Josei Featured Character

Name: Ayase Chihaya
    Birthday: June 1st
    Height: 167 cm
    Zodiacal Sign: Gemini
    Blood Type: B
    Special Skill: Karuta (Level A)
    Series: Chihayafuru

Ayase Chihaya is a cheerful, bright girl who is also a student of Misuzawa High School. She lives with her family; her sister, Ayase Chitose, is a rising model who also works hard to get known on the modelling world. She has always been looking up to her most of the time, even going as far as 'to see my sister to be successful' as her dream when she was little.

She is an open girl ever since before; she said anything she has in mind at the moment without truly thinking whether it hurts or not. Chihaya is also very tomboy -- she used to have a short hair when she was young --, sometimes has a short temper, and good reflexes. Despite being a tomboy, she is actually a beautiful. Several classmates describe her as 'a waste in beauty', referring to her boy-like actions regardless of her beauty. Chihaya could be lost in thoughts sometimes, but can concentrates really well. Chihaya easily trusts people, thus easily decieved.

She was a good friend with Mashima Taichi when they were still small. One day a transfer student joined them; a shy boy named Wataya Arata. She defended him when the rest of her classmates bullied him, including Tachi. Chihaya then discovered Arata's hidden talent of playing a traditional Japanese card game called karuta. Ever since playing with Arata, she became interested in it. She devoted time to learn how to play karuta, and found her new dream of becoming the queen of karuta when Arata told her that she had the talent. Chihaya's talents are described as having a superb hearing and fast reflex.

The three of them separated due to personal issues. Eventually they met up again in high school, when she and Taichi went to the same school without knowing it before. Chihaya then tried to bring back the old memories of them playing karuta together again, especially with Arata, by building a karuta club at her school. With the support of Taichi and several other members of the club, Chihaya fights on to win the national tournament -- to meet Arata again, and to achieve her goal to become the Queen of Karuta.

Follow Ayase Chihaya at Chihayafuru!

Sources: Chihayafuru Wikia, Wikipedia

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Ayase Chihaya

I adore Chihaya. There is something very sweet, vulnerable, and kindhearted about her. I love that she sees Karuta and competition as a way of bonding with her friends.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chihaya emits strength, for me. Strength to keep on going to reach your dream even though it is hard. At certain points I think that her actions could be considered annoying, maybe, or too much like a crybaby, but all of those build more strength inside of her, which I like. ^^

I was scared of how fierce she could be when it comes to karuta, though.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I haven't read this manga yet. But I'm downloading it right now, lol. So I'll give it a shot. ^^

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Shoujo & Josei Monthly Featured Character - Rokuonji Nagi & Touko

P.S.: Celebrating the coming of the lovely month of Valentine's Day, this time I will feature couple for you!

February 2012 Shoujo/Josei Featured Character

Name: Rokuonji Nagi & Touko
    Age: 15 (at the start of the series) - 16 (when both married)
    Series: Kekkon Shiyou Yo (Let's Get Married)

Two different persons meet in an arranged engagement. What would become of them?

Touko was brought to the house of Rokuonji following the will of her grandfather, Eikichi, that she would have to be engaged to the grandchildren of Rokuonji family. The girl was also threatened that her village would turn into a water dam if she refused to come. Touko agreed, and because Rokuonji family had two grandchildren, Touko's life as the fiance of both Rokuonji Nagi and Rokuonji Kaze started.

When they met for the first time at Rokuonji's mansion, Nagi didn't show any interest at all in this engagement thing. He did any orders his grandmother told him to do, including kissing her right in front of the audience, without any care. He also thought of Touko as too unsophisticated. Touko didn't like Nagi either. She found out that Nagi was quite a playboy. He had lots of fans, but never really regarded them as anything. He was often seen with other girls as well.

After several "love trials", she learned more about Nagi and Kaze, and started to like them more. She still couldn't choose between Nagi and Kaze when the deciding time had come, so both left her to gave her some time to decide which one she would choose as her husband.

Unfortunately, due to a mistake, their engagement was canceled. Nagi and Kaze got a new fiance and Touko was put in position as a maid. She was tortured to look at the two boys growing close to the new girls. Yet, their feelings stayed the same. After she refused Kaze's proposal to marry him, she was shocked with the news that Nagi agreed to marry his new fiance. It turned out that he did it to give Touko back the right upon her village. At last both confessed their feelings and got married shortly after.

Nagi and Touko have similar characteristics. They pretend not to care in the outside while they actually do inside. It's clear when Touko decided to take care of the sick Nagi and Touko; when Nagi refused to chase after Touko when she couldn't choose between him or Kaze yet; or when he returned the village's deed to Touko in return for marrying his new fiance. Touko is a carefree and 'wild' girl, living close to nature at her village. Nagi too, has been the rebellious son, going out and play with girls before. Both learned how to control their ego when they met and eventually fell in love with another. From the extra story, it's shown that their stubborn heads brought trouble even to a small problem, though eventually they managed to return to peace after a talk to clear out the confusion. It seems like they would get lots of bumps along the way of their marriage, but as long as their love for each other stays true they would be able to overcome anything.

Follow Rokuonji Nagi and Touko at Kekkon Shiyou Yo (Let's Get Married)!

Source: Kekkon Shiyou Yo (manga)

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast