Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Gantz

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz

What is a good attention grabber to immerse the reader into the story? Gantz. Kei Kurono and his childhood friend Masaro Katou are run over by a train and are iinstantly transported into a war zone where people are violently slaughtered by strange aliens.

The man who wrote this story, Hiroya Oku, is truly a genius, as he heavily immerses the reader into a breathtaking story. Whenever I read Gantz or any of his other works like Hen, I find myself unable to stop reading. Gantz has an amazing story and is very unpredictable, as characters you bond with can be killed at any moment. This manga is still ongoing and I have yet to witness the closure to this manga.

The art is one of my favorite aspect of Gantz. The weapons, the armor, and the vehicles are completely original and add depth to the story. The aliens, likewise, are completely innovative and have intricate designs.

There are a lot of interesting characters to be found in this manga. Kei Kurono, the protagonist, starts out as a pessimistic and horny high school student who only sees the negative in society. As he fights in more battles, he transforms into a hero who values human life, but is not blinded by justice, like his friend Katou (who has trouble even fighting the aliens). Other characters, like Nishi and Izumi, tend to be a lot darker (antiheroes), yet I found myself cheering for them.

Overall, this manga is a masterpiece and anyone who wants to read a great and original story, should give Gantz a try. This is one of my all time favorite mangas, so give it a try!
    10/10!!!!!!!!!!!

A word of warning: Gantz is not for the faint-hearted, but neither is it as simple as it looks. Gore, rape, drug use and violence is rampant, as are portrayals of greed, violence, and all the ugliness that one sees in society today.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz

It's sort-of like a darker version of Psyren.

The artwork is really cool, I think they basically computer-render everything in 3D, then draw over it to make the characters' faces, hair, etc. Pretty neat style (although sometimes there's so much crap going on, and being just black-and-white, you can't tell what anything is!)

Definitely worth a read.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member steadynco's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz was pretty damn cool and addictive up until the most recent arc, where it tends to drag on and on with minute details. I'd probably give it a 10/10 for everything up until the Katastrophe arc, where it slumps to about 6/10 for me. Overall...probably 9/10, definately worth checking out.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz is definitely one of the best currently out there, Kei Kurono is one of the most boss main characters, people think that the newer stuff is bad and complain about it, but I think they fail to see that the author has put some real work into developing this character over the entirety of the manga. Definitely a 9/10 for the whole package deal, 10/10 moments throughout the series though.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apellon's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    It's sort-of like a darker version of Psyren.

The artwork is really cool, I think they basically computer-render everything in 3D, then draw over it to make the characters' faces, hair, etc. Pretty neat style (although sometimes there's so much crap going on, and being just black-and-white, you can't tell what anything is!)

Definitely worth a read.
    or psyren is a lighter version of gantz
    nice review/opinion , and yes gantz is worth to check it out ... it's badass and it's packed with violence/gore strange and yet with amazing action sequences ..

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member steadynco's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bumping this now that the manga has officially ended. What an abrupt, unsatisfying ending! Anyone wanting to read Gantz should just stop at the beginning of the Katastrophe arc <_<

New Reply