Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranking of the Strawhats' Strength

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ranking of the Strawhats' Strength

1) I know there are threads about the strength of the Straw hats but I would like a ranking (1 to 9) with 1 being the strongest. Do this for before and after time skipped.
    2) I think I will edit/update this post for the average of all of your opinions.
    3) If your ranking is controversial just explain why.
    4) Also, for each characters that isn't Luffy, post the bosses of previous arc that you think they can beat and go toe to toe with. Eneru is a tricky one unless some of the strawhats learn haki but I am sure Zoro can cut everything
    5) Meh, I post my opinions later. Back to study my exams >___< Nice to be back on this forum again.

Edit:
    Consensus: Pre then Post
    1) Luffy 1.0 Luffy 1.0
    2) Zoro 2.0 Zoro 1.9
    3) Sanji 3.0 Sanji 3.1
    4) Franky 4.0 Franky 4.4
    5) Robin 5.5 Robin 5.1
    6) Brook 6.5 Brook 6.4
    7) Chopper 6.5 Chopper 6.7
    8) Ussop 8.0 Ussop 7.4
    9) Nami 8.5 Nami 8.6

After time skipped
    Monster Trio
    1) Luffy- I would like to think he is at the strength or stronger than quite a few shikibukai. He ranked number one here because his haiki and gomu fruit give him quite a defense and he would beat zoro based on speed alone.

2) Zoro- Zoro had showed us how much physical injuries he could withstand. He could just come back and back again. But he can't take the position as number one because during the fight against Lucci, luffy had showed that through gear 2 gattling gun, he could just hit and hit and hit and hit and hit until his opponent down for the count.

3) Sanji- although Zoro is a monster, I would think Sanji can beat Zoro in unarmed combat on speed. Sanji is really fast before the timeskipped and had improve his speed plus mobility afterward. But since Zoro had his sword, at best it would be a tie if Sanji avoid a direct battle. Sanji has more brain than Zoro. He is an expert tactician but thus far I don't see he used too much brain in combat.

The middle trio

4) Robin- physically, robin should not be in the fourth place. It is hard to place her because thus far we had not seen a proper battle of Robin where she goes all out. She is intelligent and can exposed her opponent's weakness. Her ability is among the fastest and very much suited her assassin style. In defense, she can keep a distance from her enemies and create clones. Also, she is patient enough to go in hiding and fight dirty/attack opponents in the dark.

5) Franky- in his arc, he went toe to toe with Luffy. Franky's physical power is on spa with Zoro and Sanji but he lack the speed. Though the lack of speed make me put him lower. However in make up, he had quite a lot of range attack. Like Sanji and Robin, he can fight really dirty. All in all, he could place as high as 2 but for now I gonna keep him here.

6) Chopper- should chopper be in the weak trios, I am not quite sure. In his strongest form, his physical power would overwhelmed the like of zoro, franky, and sanji. His mobility is quite impressive. Speed wise, he isn't on the level of Sanji or Luffy. In his brain mode, he could exposed his enemies' weakness. Quite a great resume actually, the only reason why he is so low is because his mentality isn't really good for a fight to the death.

Weak Trio but not so weak

7) Ussop- if he combine the skill he had pre and post timeskipped together, he is quite an opponent that people rank above him may have trouble of beating. Though he is stronger physically, and mentally, he isn't as weak and cowardly as he once was. But his biggest asset is range combat. He had not have a proper fight that he could go all out since the battle of mister 4 (discounting perona since that battle is way too funny). The battle against luffy is cool but that is during the time he didn't even have the skill set that he acquire after cp9 arc.

8) Nami- Everybody ranked Nami as the weakest but is she? Another person that fight really dirty. Physically she is the weakest but she make up for that in intelligent and capable with her unique weapon which included many mid range attack and hiding techniques. One on one against Brook, I can see she come out winning 6 times out of 10.

9) Brook- Possibly one of the fastest strawhat only below that of luffy. Even after the timeskipped, I don't see much improved in his strength. But combine with his speed, agility, and other talent, he is tough.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; April 25, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ranking of the Strawhats' Strength

pre-time skip.

1. luffy 2. zoro 3. sanji 4. franky 5. robin 6. brook 7. ussop 8. chopper 9. nami.

post-time skip

1. luffy 2. zoro 3. sanji 4. franky 5. brook 6. robin 7. chopper 8. ussop 9. nami.

imo.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree in that the proportions of strength and positions in the crew remain largely the same except for perhaps ussop. As his dream and position involve purely fighting, I think it is viable he would eventually be a main fighter in the crew. Not necessarily among the monster trio but more along the lines of brook and franky (as the weakest of them though). Not sure how exactly ussop would have compared to nami and chopper in the first or second part of the manga though. Ussop eventually becoming stronger than robin should not be strange IMO.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm my personal ranking would be something like this:

1. Luffy (obviously )
    2. Zoro (obviously since he's the vice-capt.)
    3. Sanji ( 'cause Zoro is stronger than him IMO and will always be )
    4. Franky( with his new upgrades he surpassed Robin)
    5. Robin (with her new developed abilities of her DF she maintans her position as one of the strongest of the SH's )
    6. Brook (also 'cause he managed to better use his DF ability)
    7. Usopp ( still in the weak trio IMO)
    8. Chopper ( as for Chopper i might dare to say he could be stronger than Usopp if he weren't so childish )
    9. Nami ( the weakest of the crew IMO)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll simply post what I wrote in an other thread about strawhats when there was the timeskip. It's still valid

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Ranking among strawhats will remain the same. Among the current members, there is a monster trio & a weak trio and that will not change. Of course, there might be additional characters in the future joining either the weak ones or the monster ones.

The ranking among current members won't change for several reasons:
    - Oda won't take the risk to highlight a single member of the weak trio. All members of the strawhats are important and there is a real balance between members. Trying to break this balance is too risky.
    - It wouldn't be coherent to see a member of the weak trio entering the league of the monster trio (or vice versa).
    - Last chapter, we have the weak trio reunited in the sunny-go while others get ready to rumble ... For me, it's already enough to convince me that the weak trio is still the weak trio.

Now I will try to explain again the HUGE GAP between each trio.

The monster trio:
    - Just compare the douriki level of their opponents in Enies Lobby & the douriki level of the others ... That alone should be enough to convince anyone that no one is even close to those three:
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v40/c379/6.html

- The reaction from Franky & Brook when Zoro fought Ryuma. They immediatly understood what kind of monster Zoro is.
    Brook & Franky begin to understand here:
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v48/c467/2.html
    Remark that Franky didn't even see Zoro's counter-attack ... (By the way, the underrated Brook did see the counter-attack)

- Still in Thriller Bark, mere copies of Sanji & Zoro had no trouble with Chopper & Robin:
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_pi...8/c468/2.html1

The weak trio:
    - Chopper & Franky had similar opponents in terms of douriki ... and Chopper just couldn't do anything in front of Kumadori ... and out of despair he used "Monster Point" ... while Franky trashed Fukourou once he had his cola fuel tank back to normal.

- By the way, the way too overrated "Monster Point": This is what it takes to Franky to counter it:
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_pi...3/c412/17.html
    As I said before, Monster Point is giving Chopper incredible strength but absolutely no defense against serious opponents. So, Monster Point is not an answer for Chopper.

- What have in common absolutely ALL 1vs1 opponents of Nami, Usopp & Chopper in the manga ? Utter stupidity and utter arrogance towards the opponent. That's the only way they can win against strong opponents. Chu, Gedatsu, ... and last but not least Kalifa ...

- I won't even bother to gather all moments in the manga where those three were just displayed as weak. There are so many examples ... A little one everyone forgot: in the Merry-go in Skypiea, Zoro, Robin & Nami decided to leave to explore while Chopper stayed with the ship. Zoro & Robin are playing Tarzan and then It's Nami's turn. Nami is scared to death & seen crying ... Just afterwards, Chopper realize he is alone on the ship, he is scared to death too. I remind this only because I was just watching the Skypiea arc some weeks ago.

- Based on my last example, I can also talk about an other weakness of those 3: their mindset. Robin is not a fighter but she maintain her composure in battle in any situation. At some point, the weak trio is ALWAYS getting scared or heavily surprised by what they witness.

Average Trio
    I already said enough in the last sections ... but I add this to support what I said in a earlier post:
    - Brook as weak as the weak trio ? Brook weaker than Robin & Franky ?
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_pi...7/c454/16.html

Enough said

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, about monster point.... You have to consider two things:
    1.- Chopper was hurt when he initially went to monster point and to boot merely being in that form caused him physical harm.
    2.- Chopper's strength, speed and stamina would be much greater now than what they used to be and he learned a proper martial art to go with those.

Chopper's monster point not having that drawback of hurting him now should make the boost itself greater. The fact that base chopper is all the much stronger should also contribute to monster point being much greater now than what it was.

I do agree in that brook is massively underrated. I can't honestly imagine him losing to robin, specially with his speed and ice powers in a serious fight. The cold alone should be enough to prevent a few of robin's moves and if he so much as cuts a limb robin takes a decent bit of damage herself.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy
    Zoro - Sanji - Jinbe on land
    Franky - Robin - Brook
    Chopper - Usopp - Nami

How the 3 trios would fare against an opponent in their respective trio is hard to determine. For example, kkck´s opinion that Brook would defeat Robin with his ice sword could easily be countered, Robin could just lock Brook´s arm and cover his mouth so that he can´t hum his music.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Luffy
    Zoro - Sanji - Jinbe on land
    Franky - Robin - Brook
    Chopper - Usopp - Nami

How the 3 trios would fare against an opponent in their respective trio is hard to determine. For example, kkck´s opinion that Brook would defeat Robin with his ice sword could easily be countered, Robin could just lock Brook´s arm and cover his mouth so that he can´t hum his music.
    Then you have to consider he can split his soul from his just bones body. That's what I love about One Piece. You never know who can win when comparing DF powers.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre:
    1)Luffy ; 2)zoro ; 3)sanji ; 4)franky ; 5)chopper(yeti form) ; 6) robin ; 7)brook ; 8) nami ; 9)usop
    1)luffy ; 2)Jinbe ; 3)zoro ; 4)franky(his beam is stronger than sanji's kicks,it was explained when he broke the jail some chapters ago) ; 5) sanji ; 6) chooper (yeti form) ; 7)Robin ; 8)brook ; 9)Nami ; 10)usop.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Tasigin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I post my rankings I want to mention one thing. Remember when Usopp fought Luffy? Of course Luffy wasnt going all out, but still, Usopp knew enough about him, and was crafty enough to put up a good fight considering his actual lack of strength. (Its a shame we havent seen the multi ninja star shot again!)

Anyway, my rankings are: 1 Zoro >/= Luffy. Ive had this feeling for a long time that Zoro could win, and not JUST because he uses luffy's weakness. In all recent fights I feel like Zoro has really shown out and not fought NEARLY as hard as Luffy has had to to win.
    3) Sanji in terms of pure strength. 4)Robin 5)Brook 6)Chopper 7)Franky (im not hopping on the laser bandwagon. It didnt work bigtime against the shs with Kuma) 8)Nami = Usopp (this is a tough call for me. I feel like they both have gotten so much more power in store than what we've seen, and they can out wit their opponents, probably most effectively among the shs)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner blackleg123's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The best differences with my list is Ussop i ranked him 5 but soon he will be 4 strongest in the crew... Why i ranked him 5 and soon 4 because of Sokeking...before the timeskip he relied on sokeking to beat weak opponents because of his overall physical strength (example persona's bear pet) but after the timeskip he grew much stronger physically now he can beat weak opponents without sokeking..but when he becomes sokeking he should beat much stronger opponents (heres hoping ) As a main fighter he should be one of the strongest members of the crew.....His more like Gohan from DBZ he needs to be push to awake more strength..beside ussopp always known to get the worsted beating lool he can take a beating lol..Sniper king !

I think its just too early to make rankings....But here i go
    1. Luffy
    2. Zoro
    3. Sanji
    4. Franky
    5. Usopp
    6. Robin
    7. Brook
    8. Chopper
    9. Nami

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry, I am too busy with exams to post an update. I probably gonna do an average of the numbers pretty soon (or someone could do it in excel instead). So is it in every one consensus that all straw hats can destroyed opponents like Arlong and Bellamy? And can the weak trio teamed up to defeat a shikibukai at this point in time?

Edit: nevermind, every posts before this post are taken in average.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruffy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    Pre:
    1)Luffy ; 2)zoro ; 3)sanji ; 4)franky ; 5)chopper(yeti form) ; 6) robin ; 7)brook ; 8) nami ; 9)usop
    1)luffy ; 2)Jinbe ; 3)zoro ; 4)franky(his beam is stronger than sanji's kicks,it was explained when he broke the jail some chapters ago) ; 5) sanji ; 6) chooper (yeti form) ; 7)Robin ; 8)brook ; 9)Nami ; 10)usop.
    You do realize that Sanji was using a generic kick right? I'd understand your list if Sanji couldn't break the door using diable jambe.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy
    Zoro
    Sanji
    Franky-Robin
    Brooke-Chopper
    Nami-Usopp

This could easily change. We honestly haven't seen the Strawhats face much of a challenge since the timeskip, at least not one that pushed them to their limits. Luffy had a tough time against Hody in the ocean, but the others seemed rather casual in all of their battles.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Page356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Luffy, Zoro
    2. Sanji
    3. Franky
    4. Usopp, Brook, Chopper, Robin
    5. Nami

Pre-Time skip and after of course are the same.

New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast