Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: New Prince of Tennis Metagame: Tennis Itself

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

New Prince of Tennis Metagame: Tennis Itself

How do you think the metagame of NPoT currently is right now in regards to actual tennis? I think that currently, as of what we now know of Byodouin's game, power plays are definitely at the top of the tier. I think that compared to PoT1, shots like the Zero-Shiki Drop Shot / Serve and the Twist Serve have dropped in usage because now players are capable of hitting those trick shots before they land or allowed to go to full-effect. Now, I feel that it's all about power shots such as Hadokyu and The Vanish. Not necessarily saying that groundstrokes are the in-thing now, though.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Kaoz; April 25, 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added prefix

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Prince of Tennis Metagame: Tennis Itself

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    How do you think the metagame of NPoT currently is right now in regards to actual tennis? I think that currently, as of what we now know of Byodouin's game, power plays are definitely at the top of the tier. I think that compared to PoT1, shots like the Zero-Shiki Drop Shot / Serve and the Twist Serve have dropped in usage because now players are capable of hitting those trick shots before they land or allowed to go to full-effect. Now, I feel that it's all about power shots such as Hadokyu and The Vanish. Not necessarily saying that groundstrokes are the in-thing now, though.

Any other thoughts?
    Well, we only see one shot from Byodouin. And we saw Oni. That's it. I think it's far way too early to tell. And we saw that control can still control power shot, like Ryoga. Ryoga doesn't look like he had that much muscle to me, at least. Anyways, I think this point is way too early to tell about the tier metagame.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Any other thoughts?
    Well I guess it partly depends on what you mean with "the top". For example, while Ochi and Mouri aren't quite at the top of the top, they are still fairly strong and neither is a power player. The same goes for Irie who a lot of people believe to be near the top, and if you want to take the anime into account you also have Tokugawa's serve which relied on speed rather than power.

I would also like to remind people that you don't necessarily need tons of visible muscles to have high power, as can be seen with Krauser and Devil Akaya.

That being said, I would agree with Ken that it's too early to tell at this point. If I may suggest something, maybe this thread could be used to allow for discussion of strong and weak styles throughout the whole series and at which point which playstyles were at the top?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    That being said, I would agree with Ken that it's too early to tell at this point. If I may suggest something, maybe this thread could be used to allow for discussion of strong and weak styles throughout the whole series and at which point which playstyles were at the top?
    That could work.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought last week.
    That the focal point of skill in this story isnt about balls that dont bounce or spin slightly differently.
    Instead its about shots that can barely be seen (Vanish, Mach Serve, AK) or Power (Hadoukyu 1-108, BJK, Summertime Danji, Springtime Danji, Im guessing Winter lol...).
    I do miss the old PoT where every new character possibly meant a completely new style of shot or style of play but to be honest besides Irie, Nakagauchi, Yamato and Tokugawa, I cant think of players introduced with styles of play that have been significantly different from before and added to story.

I agree that its too early and think we need to have a Power Player VS anyone that isnt a Power Player in a full Singles Match.

I would prefer Date VS some MSer in Singles but most MSers and Hsers are fodder now so that wont happen.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I do miss the old PoT where every new character possibly meant a completely new style of shot or style of play but to be honest besides Irie, Nakagauchi, Yamato and Tokugawa, I cant think of players introduced with styles of play that have been significantly different from before and added to story.
    Irie's just an expert at holding back, Nakaguchi hits shots with pin-point accuracy, Yamato takes the concept of feints to a whole nother level, and Tokugawa, we don't know what he's all about yet. With the exception of Yamato and probably Tokugawa, none of them are actually new from anything we've seen before.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Irie's just an expert at holding back, Nakaguchi hits shots with pin-point accuracy, Yamato takes the concept of feints to a whole nother level, and Tokugawa, we don't know what he's all about yet. With the exception of Yamato and probably Tokugawa, none of them are actually new from anything we've seen before.
    But Irie's style IS pretty new. Weve had Ryoma troll opponents with the handedness switch, but weve not had the the level in which Irie laughed at opponents, and lie to his own teammates about his skill level to such an extent.

Examples of same old crap are Taira Yoshiyuki - He's awesome as a character but Bakyuun = Practically Yagyuu, Fuwa = Over Arrogant Fuji with CE, Date Danji = Ishida Gin, Mitsuya = The data guys, Ochi = Amazing Ootori, Washio/Suzuki = GP I could go on.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only people who did anything remotely close to Irie were team Rikkaidai during the semi-final match of the Nationals against Nagoya by purposely losing the first two matches to troll both Nagoya and Kirihara. Other than that, Irie is unique. He has flawless play like Yukimura (WoI shattering, referencing Yukimura/Echizen match in the anime), and his trolling is on another level than Niou.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Irie just holds back. I'm saying, that's not a special shot or step or anything, it's just . . . standard Shonen "holding back his true power." I Am Not Left-Handed is literally what his entire game is.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Irie is pretty funny at that. And I like number 20 until Irie got serious. But Imagine Irie vs Ryoga or something. That'll be a time when trolling make him completely lose because he can't recover his game on time.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    I actually think Irie is pretty funny at that. And I like number 20 until Irie got serious. But Imagine Irie vs Ryoga or something. That'll be a time when trolling make him completely lose because he can't recover his game on time.
    If Irie goes easy on Ryoga and trolls him he'll lose. However, he should go all out from the start, mainly because Ryoga isn't going to lose against trolling Irie.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    So guessing is our thing on this site?
    We dont know yet.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Irie just holds back. I'm saying, that's not a special shot or step or anything, it's just . . . standard Shonen "holding back his true power." I Am Not Left-Handed is literally what his entire game is.
    Fair enough lol, the link was actually funny.
    Back to the point, there really isnt anything new.

Also, there is this new thing where players are introduced fairly well, and do NOTHING. HSers of course.

No Techniques shown:
    Ban Rikiya, Mouri Juzaburo, Miyako Shinobu, Akiba Koyo and Takei Toshio.

I believe the days where different spin methods were the awesomeness ended with the Team Shuffle.
    Taira's Bakyuun being the exception.
    Unfortunately he became fodder and I dont see how there was no Doubles team in 2nd Stringers who couldnt defeat Taira/Hara.

I would like to mention Vanish from Hakamada Izou but he was nothing new and just an upgraded Matsudaira Chikahiko.
    His serve required a weird stance like Matsudaira and he licked his lips like him too and mainly Vanish is mainly about Violence/Bloodshed which is where the story's top moves are gearing towards.

New Reply