Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

When the fandom is creating a mass of BL doujins that directly translates to a big female readership, that's how it is.^^ Guys could write them, but only because there is a demand by mostly female fans, not male ones.

If you search for Torikoko on pixiv you will mostly find shounen ai pictures, when you search Toriko it will have nearly the same result.
    Last edited by Schabrak; May 09, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, it's crazy. And I keep seeing Law X Smoker pics around everywhere.
    It's similar with Gintama. But pixiv is just sorta that way. A good portion is of fan pairing.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

And it's only there because I appreciate aesthetic art, so you might be right.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Jump Issue #24 Cover

6. Thanks 18 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have super high expectations for this but that's actually a pretty cool cover

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haato View Post
    nah, I think statistics would be better to have in this case. Just because some people write bl doujins doesn't necessarily mean it's popular with females :/ it's a good assumption, but that's just what it is, assuming. Even tho statistics aren't always completely accurate, I think it's at least better than basing it's popularity on how many love doujins it has.

And also don't forget that guys could be writing some of those doujins :x
    So, if I told you that exactly 21.6% of readers were women this would have some sort of meaning to you

You would in some way be able to analyze the meaning of the data, the implications, how it compares to the percentage of woman reading shounen as a whole? It would not in any way be open to misinterpretation, dismissed no matter how much higher than the percentage of readers for most shounen? Give me a break.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

While I suppose men could draw BL doujin, I thought it was common knowledge that BL was a subculture for women. While there are male readers, and writers, most slash manga are written for women by women. Most are not even meant for homosexual readers.

It is interesting, and rarely discussed in this thread, how popular Jump is with fujoshi. The art in some series, notably Bleach and Naruto, evolved to keep up with changing taste in bishounen. As did D. Gray Man, formerly of Weekly Jump. Even the male characters in One Piece have become noticeably more attractive over the years, though woman have a more prominent role in One Piece than is the norm for Jump action. Reborn was driven by bishies from the very start, same with Prince of Tennis, of course. There are some recent exceptions, Magico clearly does not have fujoshi in mind. But the average Jump manga is very BL friendly, whether intentionally or not.
    Last edited by Kaiten; May 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't exagerate you don't need a thesis to compare 2 percentage. And I think your second post resume perfectly the initial perplexity, Toriko does not fit in this evolution at all.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

20.2% of Weekly Shounen Jump readers are female. 15.4% of Weekly Young Jump readers are female. Other than the obvious, WSJ has a higher percentage of female readers than WYJ, what do those statistics have to say? Do they explain empirically why more women read WSJ, or would some sort of assumption have to be made about what appeals to whom? Can you tell what series those 15.4% are buying WYJ for, or what series that 20.2 percent buy WSJ for? In the end aren't those numbers not just a little boring?

Even if we knew the percentage of female readers for individual series, what would learn by comparing them? That one has a higher proportion than the other? How would we account for the difference? Do we make assumptions about the appeal of plot, art, pacing, and genre?

As I said before about Toriko: big muscles, adventures, long lonely nights, relentless machismo, no women. What would not appeal to those who enjoy slash manga?

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of overlap in what attracts men and women to Shonen manga when you get down to it; it's not a one or the other situation with action VS bishounen here.

And analyzing media trends (like doujinshi) is a good way to collect data, sometimes it's better than statistics since it's easier for someone to fudge their answers on a survey than their own person habits.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; May 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko always seemed more likely to appeal to gay men rather than fujoshi in my opinion. Typically fujoshi tend to like more bishonen characters, pretty boys with skinny bodies rather than big muscly men. However I have heard that Dragon Ball has a pretty big female following, so I guess them liking Toriko makes sense

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Gay man like muscles, fujiyoshi lean beautiful men? You generalized a whole group of readers, that's never a good thing to do. Maybe it's because there are just not many big muscle manga released nowadays, which limits the number of sensational manga to make bishounen manga from.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like that cover.

I hope Nisekoi actually lasts tho and it won't disappoint.
    While that guy who said that love-com won't last more than 10 volumes is pretty biased, I can see where he is coming from since there really are limitations to what you can do in love-com without turning it into something else.

Keep bleach at the bottom for a while and maybe kubo will put more heart into it, let's see if this together with the bad ratings
    from fb arc and falling volume sales are enough to motivated him to actually think before he writes his stuff.
    Sure, this arc has been good but it's only good by Bleach's standards.

Naruto is one again, probably because two Uchihas are exploding their fanbases.
    Like always, glad to see Gintama up, since everyone is talking about it..I guess it's one of the serious arcs.

Interested to see how reborn! will do in the future, will it propel back again as always or stay down( which I highly doubt ) .

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

All this talk about Toriko and fujoshi is making me LOL. In all seriousness though, I don't think any other magazine is as BL/female oriented as JUMP is. For instance they doesn't use gravure idols and AKB48 on their covers which are obviously aimed to get the attention of heterosexual guys. On the other hand fujoshi readers will be less willing to buy a cover with a bikini clad woman on it when they're in a certain manga primarily for the male characters.

Going back to Toriko, I think it's more likely to attract fans of bara instead of BL.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    I don't have super high expectations for this but that's actually a pretty cool cover
    Same here. The art style is my cup of tea so I'll keep a mental note to check this one out.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If the guy's done THAT many one-shots of it that he can make a whole "volume 0" then he's got to have thought about it a little. Toriko has 2 one-shots before it started... I know a few other popular series had at least one. I know Ao no Exorcist did.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture of an Animate store in Japan promoting Nisekoi the day it went on sale.

23. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast